Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:01:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 [193] 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058465 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
silvercardbank

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 04:50:58 PM

thanks for that link , i went there copyed and pasted the address from my browser, dropped it into my revised ebay add and again got this message.

We’ve noticed that your listing included a non-clickable link. eBay no longer permits non-clickable or static links in listings (in item descriptions, payment instructions, return instructions, etc.). Please go back and either remove the non-clickable link, or update it to make sure it complies with the links policy.

They probably don't allow direct download links.

hmm not sure i know the difference between the one that works and the others that dont . i guess i will have to stick with the one thats working as it,s in all my templates and slips there attention .
hypersire

Activity: 596
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:13:45 PM

thanks for that link , i went there copyed and pasted the address from my browser, dropped it into my revised ebay add and again got this message.

We’ve noticed that your listing included a non-clickable link. eBay no longer permits non-clickable or static links in listings (in item descriptions, payment instructions, return instructions, etc.). Please go back and either remove the non-clickable link, or update it to make sure it complies with the links policy.

hmm not sure i know the difference between the one that works and the others that dont . i guess i will have to stick with the one thats working as it,s in all my templates and slips there attention .

I brought this up before while I was redoing the web site - some of the download links go to box.com, others go to some domain called 21stcenturymoneytalk... definitely not ideal. It be much better to host them all on devcoin.org but I can't make that call as there are bandwidth considerations involved.

Unthinkingbit - can you make this call or should I check with Jasinlee?
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:19:26 PM

I brought this up before while I was redoing the web site - some of the download links go to box.com, others go to some domain called 21stcenturymoneytalk... definitely not ideal. It be much better to host them all on devcoin.org but I can't make that call as there are bandwidth considerations involved.

We should definitely be hosting on devcoin.org if possible.
weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:57:15 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2014, 11:55:24 PM by weisoq

I was thinking about the conversation being had about devtome and it's accessibility. I agree it needs quite an overhaul in the long run to appeal as a source of "stuff" to the general public.

I'd like to propose a bounty, if I may, for "A better devtome system". 6 different strategies for 6 shares each, on how devtome can best be organised to:

Allow contributors to easily add content (as they do currently via the wiki version, but it doesn't have to be this way; think about the options).
Allow easy indexing of the content so categories form more naturally.
Allow easy administration for tasks such as plagiarism checks, copyright checks, managing writers (if need be), etc.
Allow the audience to find what they want quickly (front page with random articles? automatic related article finder? automatic internal hyperlink system? etc).
Ideas for a better categorization system, if one exists.
Ideas for other ways of delivering content - eg reading apps for mobile devices?

This is a discussion paper where the writer describes what the perfect system would be like, by identifying problems with the current system and imaging improvements. You don't necessarily have to practically solve them, just logically. I would expect each page to be 1000 words or more, to thoroughly explore the topic. The above parts are just examples of things to think about, but there are tons more worth considering and the writers can explore ideas and brainstorm. I'd also encourage the later bounty seekers to absorb the good ideas from the first few in their own, if they can - this is open source, after all!

I'm not sure whether the wiki has plugin options, but if it does, we can either consider building the current one out to better fit our needs (and the needs of our readers), or biding our time until we can build our own software in the future if it's more valuable. Again, this is just about ideas at the moment, on how we can make it a pleasant experience as possible for mass audiences, such that they would find themselves having a hard time staying away.

Any objections? Is 6/6 overkill?
Yes a lot of that (indexing, visuals, categorisation etc) is already doable via dokuwiki plugins but (semi-quoting jasinlee who maintains devtome) it needs someone proficient in php to fix bugs as they add plugins and ongoing. If you google dokuwiki plugins and other dokuwiki sites there's a lot out there, but it's open source and often never debugged.

This is why it's such a laborious, manual process with not great functionality, and always playing catchup with categorising. Focus still is going through all exisiting writing to check the basics let alone improvements.

Anything to improve things would be great by me, so good suggestion for ideas.

Edit: Also want to add that much of what you see on devtome is still in the process of working through checks for categorising, formatting, content. On top of dealing with new articles, giftculturewriting is working from existing Z-A and I'm on A-Z. Speaking for myself, I'm still on A...

I know gift has some good ideas for better front page presentation and usability, but for now it's basically just a tree of topics - categories - subcategories -articles to make the process above quicker and easier, and can then just work on rolling new submissions and look at visuals.

If anyone has ideas (sticking with existing dokuwiki functionality and syntax for now as that's what there is) then please suggest them. It's taking a long time and we just haven't had time to get into that yet.
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:58:41 PM

hypersire, perhaps the official git would be best? So it can be updated on a faster schedule. Perhaps someone can write a script that pulls from git the .exe (for windows for example) every ~2 weeks. That might be best perhaps?

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:08:16 PM

I want the official installer to be hosted on devcoin.org because I will use a web installer which allows you to select features and download the rest based on request. The full installer is 50 megs but the web installer is 0.5 megs I believe.  I need a hosted link to do this.
hypersire

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:14:02 PM

I want the official installer to be hosted on devcoin.org because I will use a web installer which allows you to select features and download the rest based on request. The full installer is 50 megs but the web installer is 0.5 megs I believe.  I need a hosted link to do this.

That would be ideal but it sure sounds like this will really raise devcoin.org's bandwidth usage so I'll defer to Jasinlee.

Jasinlee - sounds like GIT might be the best approach for all the downloads except for Sidhujag's web installer.

I only see this GIT page:

https://github.com/doublec/devcoin

and it says it is "unofficial"?
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:26:14 PM

I was able to get the android wallet confirming my transactions, I had to fix a nasty bug in the qt client that crashes with a shared_ptr asserting after getdata is requested and it has to download blocks from disk. I think this may be in I0Coin as well but when it requests auxpow blocks from the serialization process I essentially check for null and dont do anything otherwise. This changes the serialization somehow so once you install the new version of the wallet you wouldn't revert back to the old as it can corrupt the database. If it does you would have to download entire blockchain again by deleting your folder minus your wallet.dat.

So after I checked for null I was able to download blocks with my android wallet, and it checks for validity of headers only where there are transactions (new blocks)... previous blocks are assumed to be correct as per checkpoints file.

What we need now is a test plan, to test the features. I don't want an ad-hoque test with 500 words, if you are to test this thing there has to be a plan in place which you follow directions with a result.

We need to test:

1) Bluetooth (offline transactions)
2) NFC transactions for point of sale
3) QR code transaction (from qt wallet create a new qr code image and then scan it via the android wallet online)
4) Normal send/recv
5) Import/Export keys, use old key with new wallet (updated checkpoints) and use new key with old wallet (older checkpoints)
   - Since the wallet only downloads the latest 4-5 weeks of data, this means any older wallets in the future may not have their transactions/balance show up? Test this.
   - Maybe the fix to this is to never update the checkpoints file? This would mean a new install blockchain update would take longer and longer in the future. This would fix any issue however.

6) General UI testing

I am unable to do alot of testing because a ) i'm using an emulator b) I only have 1 node (myself to) connect to since the wallet will only connect to new nodes (my new qt wallet + daemon).

Preliminary:

Finalize qt wallet testing, merged-mining and then update the dns nodes to the new software, then we can test this stuff.

So for the above we need a verification test plan to test all of the features of the wallet. Any time a change is made to teh software that is big enough we need to run through the plan again, date it and sign it.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:36:53 PM

I want the official installer to be hosted on devcoin.org because I will use a web installer which allows you to select features and download the rest based on request. The full installer is 50 megs but the web installer is 0.5 megs I believe.  I need a hosted link to do this.

That would be ideal but it sure sounds like this will really raise devcoin.org's bandwidth usage so I'll defer to Jasinlee.

Jasinlee - sounds like GIT might be the best approach for all the downloads except for Sidhujag's web installer.

If you give me ftp access to the site via PM I can do this. It has to be SFTP compatible. It is actually smaller bandwidth because the web installer is small and then the user will only download one OS selection.
hypersire

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:02:00 PM

I want the official installer to be hosted on devcoin.org because I will use a web installer which allows you to select features and download the rest based on request. The full installer is 50 megs but the web installer is 0.5 megs I believe.  I need a hosted link to do this.

If you give me ftp access to the site via PM I can do this. It has to be SFTP compatible. It is actually smaller bandwidth because the web installer is small and then the user will only download one OS selection.

Ah, that's great to hear! Devcoin.org is hosted on Jasinlee's server so you'd have to ask him for access.

If you just put it up on a blank page I can take the code and stick it into the site template and modify the page metadata for SEO purposes.

Can't wait to see the web installer in action!
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:15:36 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2014, 10:26:00 PM by smeagol

Would anyone be interested in Netflix codes or Starbucks cards being added to dvc4giftcards.us?

At the moment I have one 12-month netflix voucher and a couple of $50 starbucks cards.

If you need anything amazon feel free to check my store out at http://dvc4giftcards.us

I asked Psybits to issue a press release for devcoin and be the PR spokesman. Within a few days he wrote a press release which covered all the main devcoin points, without being too long. He sent it out to many, I think hundreds of sites, including the Wall Street Journal. The devcoin price went from around 50 satoshis to over 150. We got many new contributors, including writers and programmers. I was so happy with the press release that I gave him 6 shares ongoing afterwards, and boosted that each round. In round 31 it was 12 shares, and in this round it's now 18 shares.

In large part because of his press release and marketing, we can afford to pay more people and do more stuff.

Psybits is awarded 3 shares for his non-mining business.

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=cryptocurrency_day_trading

Finished, well mostly. i probably will add more links, but the main body is complete.

there was a BOUNTY for presenting an Investment/Trading strategy?

have a look....... I'm not a financial wizard, but this should work for most people who can do basic math and a little web browsing....

There already have been a couple cryptocurrency day trading investment strategies, so if the community decides that it is unique enough, you will get 6 shares for your plan.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:32:29 PM

I was able to get the android wallet confirming my transactions,

[...]
What we need now is a test plan, to test the features. I don't want an ad-hoque test with 500 words, if you are to test this thing there has to be a plan in place which you follow directions with a result.

We need to test:

1) [...]

I have the ability to use 2 Android phones, both with NFC capability. However, please take your time to make the app as stable as possible. My Wife's phone will appreciate that  Grin

I am happy to go through an extensive set of tests and can record it on video if necessary.

Bittzy78
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1019

I do not give financial advice .. do your own DD

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 10:54:58 PM

Devcoin has been mentioned in a Wired article http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-01/13/dogecoin-and-the-era-of-personal-currency

EDIT: Time to reopen the Devcoin page on Wikipedia - I can't believe they deleted it we had just as many refs as most of the other alt coins - what a joke!

Cool! just a couple of articles such as this one could have people all over the place asking questions about Devcoins.

I think the lack of exposure of what Devcoin is and what it is about could easily be taken care of by the end of the year with some timely articles by a few major news outlets. Maybe an admin that is dedicated to being the media and/blog point-of-contact would be in order.

One of the easiest and cheapest ways to raise awareness of Devcoin would be to go the guest post route on financial blogs. If you check out the Money Crashers list of person finance blogs (below) many of them allow guest posts.

http://www.moneycrashers.com/top-personal-finance-blogs/

One would simply need to contact the owners of the blogs and ask if they can submit a unique article about Devcoins and/or Devtome. Most blogs are usually hungry for new contact and will gladly accept your offer as long as your request email doesn't look spammy. The key factor about guest posting is that the guest poster never has to pay money for it. The blog owner gets new (and free) content and the guest poster is allowed two or three links links back to their blog, Facebook page and/or a Wiki such as Devtome.

I am using my personal finance blog that I co-run with a couple of other people (below) as an example because most are set up in a similar fashion.

http://www.moneyandpotatoes.com

We have a write for us link across the top of the blog and we do get almost daily requests for guest blog posting. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the requests are of the spammy variety and they never get posted on the blog. However, we have had several valid ones that were published and they provided our blog with some good content.

The key to getting this accomplished would be someone having the ability to write about Devcoin/Devtome from several different angles and always coming up with what amounts to roughly 90% new content with each article.

It might also help to have a PDF type press packet that is tied to a domain so a link could be provided to the blog owners so that they can quickly and easily see what Devcoin is about.

~2 cents~

Bittzy78

I'm coordinating the marketing / press of Devcoin at the moment with monthly ad campaigns and press releases (which perhaps is how Wired heard about us). The biggest outlets we've been on from these is The Wall Street Journal and Yahoo Finance.

I would like to give you 6 shares next month - for you to put the above into action.

Would you like to do it? And are there any objections from anyone here?

Yeah, I would be willing to give it a shot for a month and see how it goes.

Great! Well if no one objects you'll get 6 shares next month to try and arrange guest posts on the blogs at http://www.moneycrashers.com/top-personal-finance-blogs/ If you get one (or more) I'll help you with the article(s) Wink

We can also work on a press kit in PDF format to be hosted at devcoin.org - great idea.

I already have a standing invitation to swap guest posts on another personal finance blog (http://cashcowcouple.com/) but haven't answered them in a couple of weeks. I just sent them an email asking them if they still want to swap guest posts. I have one short article already mostly completed about alt-coin speculation that is a little generic but mentions Devcoin more than others.

If you want to do an article on something along the lines of how to make money writing on Devtome that meets the criteria of what we have on Money and Potatoes ( http://www.moneyandpotatoes.com/write-for-us/ )... I can guarantee that it will be published. Smiley

Just mention in your bio that you are regular contributor to the Devtome Wiki and be sure not to post the article on this forum (but I am sure you already know that.)

Great! Well as I have the power to assign a small number of shares for marketing purposes - you will get 6 next month to contact all the blogs at http://www.moneycrashers.com/top-personal-finance-blogs/  and ask for guest posts Smiley Please PM me with your DVC address which can accept generated Devcoin shares (a wallet on your computer).

I've noticed Heavy covers many different cryptocurrencies (http://www.heavy.com/tech/2013/12/dogecoin-what-is-shibe-cryptocurrenc/) so I have contacted them about doing a write up about Devcoin.

In re to guest posting on your blog - does your blog get a lot of traffic?

Do you think that you would be interested in doing a post on my blog? I only ask because I should have some free time at work tonight and have this idea for a post kicking around in my head. I am thinking about doing a simplistic article on how people can make money writing on Devtome...kind of a step-by-step guide. Either way, I will probably link it to 25 - 50 other personal finance blogs via the comment sections of them.

Bittzy78

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒█████████▀▀▀▀███████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████▀      ▀██████▀    ▀████▒░░
░░▒██████▄        ▀██▀       ████▒░░
░░▒███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

▄                   ▄   ▄                                                        ▄
        ▀ ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄     ▄  ▄████████▄ ▄   ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██████     ▄▄██████   ████████████████   ▀▀  ██████████▀▀    ██████     ▄ ██████  ████████████████▄▄
  ██████   ███████    ▀ ██████  ██████████████████     ████████████     ███████    ▀▀██████  ████████████████▀▀
  ██████   ████████     ██████  ██████▀    ▀██████    ██████████████    ████████     ██████ ▄██████
  ██████ ▄██████████    ██████  ███████▄▄             ██████  ██████    █████████    ██████ ▀██████
▄ ██████   ██████████   ██████   ███████████▄▄       ██████    ██████   ██████████   ██████  ██████████████
▀ ██████   ███████████  ██████  ▄ ▀█████████████▄    ██████    ██████   ███████████  ██████  ██████████████  ██
  ██████   ██████ █████ ██████  ▀    ▀▀███████████  ██████      ██████  ██████ █████ ██████  ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀
  ██████ ▄ ██████  ███████████            ▀▀███████ ██████████████████  ██████  ███████████  ██████
▄ ██████ ▀ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄     ▄██████████████████████████ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀ ██████   ██████    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██████    ████████████████████████████
  ██████   ██████     ████████▀█▀███████████████████████          ████████████     ████████▀▀█████████████████
  ██████   ██████      ███████    ▀▀███████████▀▀ ██████    ▄▄    ████████████      ███████
           ██████     ▄ ██████           ▄▄                 ▀▀          ██████     ▄ ██████▄▄

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Facebook | Twitter | Discord | Insane Hub
smeagol
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:40:40 PM

dvc4giftcards.us has a low rating on Web of Trust, so I'd appreciate it if you left me a rating here: https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/dvc4giftcards.us#rate

Thank you!
Athanasios Motok

Activity: 387
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:52:02 AM

dvc4giftcards.us has a low rating on Web of Trust, so I'd appreciate it if you left me a rating here: https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/dvc4giftcards.us#rate

Thank you!

Sent you a good rating. Please keep this site up!
-AM
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:52:15 AM

Thank you!

Cool, left a rating on the site.

Any news on the bounty proposal?
Athanasios Motok

Activity: 387
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:56:05 AM

Hey guys I am thinking about making a website for selling gift cards for devcoins. Is there any suggestion of cards or other things you want to be featured on the website?
-AM

There are already a couple of gift card sites - I don't mean to discourage you - but it would be cool to sell something we don't have a store for yet Smiley

EDIT: Dev coffee would be kind of awesome (writers and coders drink lots of coffee!). I know that a btc coffee website does quite well Wink

Also - if you wanted to set up a serious service, a proxy buying service like http://bitsumo.com for DVC would be really, really awesome.

Ok thanks you for the input.
-AM
smeagol
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:29:48 AM

Thank you!

Cool, left a rating on the site.

Any news on the bounty proposal?

Thanks very much!  I'm not sure yet about the bounty

Thank you!

Sent you a good rating. Please keep this site up!
-AM

You da bomb! Cheesy
jdlrexy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:39:49 AM

Would anyone be interested in Netflix codes or Starbucks cards being added to dvc4giftcards.us?

At the moment I have one 12-month netflix voucher and a couple of $50 starbucks cards.

If you need anything amazon feel free to check my store out at http://dvc4giftcards.us

I asked Psybits to issue a press release for devcoin and be the PR spokesman. Within a few days he wrote a press release which covered all the main devcoin points, without being too long. He sent it out to many, I think hundreds of sites, including the Wall Street Journal. The devcoin price went from around 50 satoshis to over 150. We got many new contributors, including writers and programmers. I was so happy with the press release that I gave him 6 shares ongoing afterwards, and boosted that each round. In round 31 it was 12 shares, and in this round it's now 18 shares.

In large part because of his press release and marketing, we can afford to pay more people and do more stuff.

Psybits is awarded 3 shares for his non-mining business.

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=cryptocurrency_day_trading

Finished, well mostly. i probably will add more links, but the main body is complete.

there was a BOUNTY for presenting an Investment/Trading strategy?

have a look....... I'm not a financial wizard, but this should work for most people who can do basic math and a little web browsing....

There already have been a couple cryptocurrency day trading investment strategies, so if the community decides that it is unique enough, you will get 6 shares for your plan.

Any word on my request for this bounty?

I was wondering if I can claim one of the remaining Investment Plan Bounties for this plan I put together. (http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty_engine) My intention was to write up a business plan that can be invested in by using devcoins that would benefit the whole devcoin community. Just wondering if my interpretation of business plan fits the description required by this bounty...

I wrote it last week, but just finally found some time to figure out how to properly post it on devtome. For a future article I might write up a noob's guide to Devtome in very simple English.
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:02:43 AM

Hypersire go ahead and get with sidhujag on it, he is one of the admins, I dont mind him poking around.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Pages: « 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 [193] 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: