Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:35:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 108 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official FutureBit Moonlander 2 Driver and Support Thread  (Read 71407 times)
Game_of_Coins

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:33:57 PM

Are all those available frequencies safe to run without more cooling? I have no option to measure but "beast" gets pretty hot when I try to kiss it goodnight @796 or more (room temp. never exceeds 20C/70F)...

I'd be interested to know that too. I backed my three down to 700 but the heatsink on the non-fan side is still too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. I have a temp gun, what's a safe temp to shoot for?

Stock cooling solutions is good up to ~800 MHZ, after that you get into overheat territory (not to mention parabolic increase in current draw). The buck and ASIC can handle max frequency but I wouldn't run them unless you can measure temperature and its under 80C on the top of the small heatsink (translates to about 90C ASIC core). Anything past that your reducing the lifetime of the ASIC/buck. This will be even worse if you have a bunch of them together (since they are sucking each others hot air).
I have FLIR on my lips. Thanks for info.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Patjebitcoin

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:03:12 PM

Are all those available frequencies safe to run without more cooling? I have no option to measure but "beast" gets pretty hot when I try to kiss it goodnight @796 or more (room temp. never exceeds 20C/70F)...

I'd be interested to know that too. I backed my three down to 700 but the heatsink on the non-fan side is still too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. I have a temp gun, what's a safe temp to shoot for?

Stock cooling solutions is good up to ~800 MHZ, after that you get into overheat territory (not to mention parabolic increase in current draw). The buck and ASIC can handle max frequency but I wouldn't run them unless you can measure temperature and its under 80C on the top of the small heatsink (translates to about 90C ASIC core). Anything past that your reducing the lifetime of the ASIC/buck. This will be even worse if you have a bunch of them together (since they are sucking each others hot air).

@jstefanop

Is there a possibility for temp. measurement in the asic it self by the bfgminer software so we can see the temp per MLD.

Grtz Patrick
makechickenwingsgreatagai

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:04:46 PM

andddd we are back online!!!

After merking my antivirus software and then reinstalling, it seems to be working like a charm.

Thanks yall!
dem0nlord

Activity: 41

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 10:09:37 PM

I remeber something like "...it can go up to 6 mhs if u can cool it....".

I don't see that much. With external cooling and running at the max frequency of 954mhz, both of mine are doing ~5.45Mh/s.
http://image.ibb.co/djNA7w/moonlanders.jpg
dvsrk

Activity: 16

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 10:54:00 PM

I have got my moonlander 2 & facing couple of issues,

I have connected the USB device to my laptop with clock set to the lowest frequency ("--set MLD:clock=384"). I'm using the low frequency setting until i get my new USB HUB. The issue is the hashing stops/halts after running for few minutes. Below are the two cases i have observed.

case 1:
hashing stops/halts when it encounters "stratum connection to pool 0 interrupted". I have waited for almost 30 minutes after this last message in my screenshot & it never progressed.
https://imgur.com/rpn2Fre

Please help me if I'm missing anything here or to tweak anything to make it run continuously without restarts for every few minutes.

Thank you.  

I'm getting this exact same problem on my moonlander2. After mining for a few hours, the stratum connection is interrupted and the GPU hangs.  Once I manually reset it, it works fine.

Does anyone know for a way to auto-restart bfgminer if this specifically happens? Or know why this is happening?  I'm running Windows 7.

I hope this isn't the only solution:

Anyone have a good solution on Windows to just kill bfgminer and restart from bat file every 30 or 60 minutes?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15602687/batch-file-restart-program-after-every-20-minutes

I'm able to address this problem by tweaking USB port power options. Follow these steps & it should fix your's,

1) Plug in moonlander 2 to the computer.
2) Open device manager on windows machine.
3) Under USB controllers identify the USB port to which the moonlander 2 is connected to.
4) Right click that particular USB port & select the properties.
5) Under the last tab 'Power Management', un-check the option of "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
6) If possible restart the computer & try again. It works for me.

Hope this helps...Happy Mining Smiley
Game_of_Coins

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:07:10 PM

I remeber something like "...it can go up to 6 mhs if u can cool it....".

I don't see that much. With external cooling and running at the max frequency of 954mhz, both of mine are doing ~5.45Mh/s.
http://image.ibb.co/djNA7w/moonlanders.jpg
My knowlage is under average but I don't think this stick can do much more. Pushing it that hard, with all your equipment (hub, ext cooling), I'm sure u are equipped enough to measure somehow ur temps, because as I undestood it from last few posts, it matters alot. Maybe even with ext fan its too hot (or both of them). I am just guessing.  But if you are complaining because you feel cheated somehow because you expected 5.8-5.9 I have no answer to that.  Max I saw was about 5.80 on one post showing "simulation" or something like that. I am getting 4.40 @796, one piece, no hub, in 3.0 laptop port and I don't feel cheated btw., but respect everyones questions and feelings.
dem0nlord

Activity: 41

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 12:03:03 AM

My knowlage is under average but I don't think this stick can do much more. Pushing it that hard, with all your equipment (hub, ext cooling), I'm sure u are equipped enough to measure somehow ur temps, because as I undestood it from last few posts, it matters alot. Maybe even with ext fan its too hot (or both of them). I am just guessing.  But if you are complaining because you feel cheated somehow because you expected 5.8-5.9 I have no answer to that.  Max I saw was about 5.80 on one post showing "simulation" or something like that. I am getting 4.40 @796, one piece, no hub, in 3.0 laptop port and I don't feel cheated btw., but respect everyones questions and feelings.

No, don't feel cheated at all, that's just the most I am able to get out of them. I don't think any cooling problem or I should start seeing excessive hardware errors.
Game_of_Coins

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 12:18:48 AM

My knowlage is under average but I don't think this stick can do much more. Pushing it that hard, with all your equipment (hub, ext cooling), I'm sure u are equipped enough to measure somehow ur temps, because as I undestood it from last few posts, it matters alot. Maybe even with ext fan its too hot (or both of them). I am just guessing.  But if you are complaining because you feel cheated somehow because you expected 5.8-5.9 I have no answer to that.  Max I saw was about 5.80 on one post showing "simulation" or something like that. I am getting 4.40 @796, one piece, no hub, in 3.0 laptop port and I don't feel cheated btw., but respect everyones questions and feelings.

No, don't feel cheated at all, that's just the most I am able to get out of them. I don't think any cooling problem or I should start seeing excessive hardware errors.
I am sure under some ideal/lab conditions amps/temps, it can be stable at more than 5.65 but anything over 5 is superb for this small device. I just hope you have cheap energy with that hub/ext fan setup. Grin
MrDogecoin

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 12:45:43 AM

Hi!!

Got my miners today...

Issue 1:
Starting bgfminer on Windows XP SP3 leads to 99% CPU workload permanently and that´s it.

Issue 2:
Same hubs and miners on Windows 10 working flawlessly yet, except a single miner, which shows strange behavior. 480 ist just okay but 540 best result is about 6-7% hardware errors. Very odd is that the errors get less by reducing the core voltage... Lowest possible VCore results in lowest hardware errors in 540. Why? 648 gets not below 25%, also on lower VCore.

a1unicorn

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:16:50 AM

I'm able to address this problem by tweaking USB port power options. Follow these steps & it should fix your's,

1) Plug in moonlander 2 to the computer.
2) Open device manager on windows machine.
3) Under USB controllers identify the USB port to which the moonlander 2 is connected to.
4) Right click that particular USB port & select the properties.
5) Under the last tab 'Power Management', un-check the option of "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
6) If possible restart the computer & try again. It works for me.

Hope this helps...Happy Mining Smiley

In Windows 7, there isn't any Power Management tab in the Device Manager. In the Power Options there doesn't seem to be anything relevant to saving power on USB ports either.

Dischg

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:20:11 AM

How can i mine Scrypt-n coins with this? i dont find a miner that works with this usb

I'm using multipool, but it has the difficulty set to 3.03M. If you look at the screenshot from someone also on the system, they have a difficulty in the Kh range. How do I get it lower? I tried the "d=128" in the password, but no. I'm mining LTC. That's probably what it is...
mrgoldy

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:30:32 AM

Need a little github education

https://github.com/jstefanop/bfgminer/releases/tag/bfgminer-5.4.2-futurebit2
jstefanop released this 25 days ago · 2 commits to futurebit2_driver since this release

when I click into the 2 commits,

Commits on Dec 09, 2017
jstefanop
added asic restart logic at driver level, more improvments for mutiple devices on hubs

Commits on Dec 11, 2017
jstefanop
restart delay way too long

Does this mean that only the source was updated?
Or do all .zip's  and .gz's   get updated when a commit is posted?
How do we know when the files are updated, or how do we identify what the latest is?
RdStrcklnd

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 02:45:09 AM

Wow, that's really hot. Mine will burn your finger after more than a few seconds and it's reading 48C (118F) on the rear heatsink. I can't even imagine hitting 80C.
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2095
Merit: 1396

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:25:44 AM

Need a little github education

https://github.com/jstefanop/bfgminer/releases/tag/bfgminer-5.4.2-futurebit2
jstefanop released this 25 days ago · 2 commits to futurebit2_driver since this release

when I click into the 2 commits,

Commits on Dec 09, 2017
jstefanop
added asic restart logic at driver level, more improvments for mutiple devices on hubs

Commits on Dec 11, 2017
jstefanop
restart delay way too long

Does this mean that only the source was updated?
Or do all .zip's  and .gz's   get updated when a commit is posted?
How do we know when the files are updated, or how do we identify what the latest is?

No I wish...just the source gets updated on commits. I have to manually compile and test for each platform on each release, which is why this is taking this long. I should be able to post all updated binaries tomorrow.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:31:52 AM

If your not running the stock setup I would really check the small heatsink temp with a heatgun before continuing to run them at max clocks. The heatsink is designed for induction flow with a fan blasting air on it in close proximity.

Overheated ASIC will NOT show excessive errors, either the buck controller will blow, or your going to burn out the ASIC. There is over-current and over-temp protection on the buck, so you will most likely kill your ASIC before you see anything wrong.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:33:15 AM

@jstefanop

Is there a possibility for temp. measurement in the asic it self by the bfgminer software so we can see the temp per MLD.

Grtz Patrick

Unfortunately these asics dont have on die temp sensors.

soifigured

Activity: 32

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 04:57:05 AM

Is there any correlation between the serial number of the device found in bfg miner vs the serial number on printed on the board?
DoofyWops

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 05:10:36 AM

Ok, I'm not sure what the issue is here. I'm running 2 MLD's on my RPi2. It's been running fine for the last 3 days with no issues. Today I got a voltage meter that I plugged my USB hub into to measure the overall energy consumption of the MLDs over time.

I stopped currently running BFGMiner, then shut down the pi. Plugged the hub into the meter, and turned the pi back on with the hub and MLDs connected to it, but I can't get BFGMiner to find the MLD's anymore.

The result of
Code:
'lsusb -t' 
is below

Code:
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc_otg/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/5p, 480M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=smsc95xx, 480M
        |__ Port 2: Dev 7, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
            |__ Port 1: Dev 8, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
                |__ Port 2: Dev 11, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=cp210x, 12M
                |__ Port 4: Dev 9, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=cp210x, 12M
        |__ Port 4: Dev 5, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=rt2800usb, 480M

Code:
 usb-devices 
also lists the following:
Code:
T:  Bus=01 Lev=04 Prnt=08 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 11 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=10c4 ProdID=ea60 Rev=01.00
S:  Manufacturer=FutureBit
S:  Product=FutureBit Moonlander 2
S:  SerialNumber=xXx
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=cp210x

T:  Bus=01 Lev=04 Prnt=08 Port=03 Cnt=02 Dev#=  9 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=10c4 ProdID=ea60 Rev=01.00
S:  Manufacturer=FutureBit
S:  Product=FutureBit Moonlander 2
S:  SerialNumber=xXx
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=cp210x

So it looks like it's there and running.

My current start_moonlander2.sh script looks like:
Code:
 ./bfgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://us.litecoinpool.org:3333 -u MyName.3 -p myPass -S MLD:all --set MLD:clock=600 

The lights on both MLD's are solid green.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot, or if I'm missing something? I've restarted the pi numerous times with the MLDs plugged in and out trying to get them to showup in bfgminer to no avail.
DoofyWops

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 06:31:13 AM

Ok, I'm not sure what the issue is here. I'm running 2 MLD's on my RPi2. It's been running fine for the last 3 days with no issues. Today I got a voltage meter that I plugged my USB hub into to measure the overall energy consumption of the MLDs over time.

I stopped currently running BFGMiner, then shut down the pi. Plugged the hub into the meter, and turned the pi back on with the hub and MLDs connected to it, but I can't get BFGMiner to find the MLD's anymore.

The lights on both MLD's are solid green.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot, or if I'm missing something? I've restarted the pi numerous times with the MLDs plugged in and out trying to get them to showup in bfgminer to no avail.

Some Googling turned up this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/234691/cannot-mount-see-access-usb-device-ttyusb0

Basically it looks like everything is setup, but cannot communicate on the ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 'ports'. I did the following with both MLDs connected and then logged out and back in:
Code:
sudo usermod -G dialout -a username

If anyone can explain what would cause this to suddenly stop working, I'd love to hear it.

For the moment, I'm back up and running again! =)  Anxiously awaiting my 3rd in Jan....
MrDogecoin

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:38:13 AM

Anyone here running bfgminer on Windows XP?

I really need that to work here.... But just stuck on 99% CPU workload....

Anyone?

Is there any alternative to bfgminer?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 108 »
  Print  

Jump to: