Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:59:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2419 2420 2421 2422 2423 2424 2425 2426 2427 2428 2429 2430 2431 2432 2433 2434 2435 2436 2437 2438 2439 2440 2441 2442 2443 2444 2445 2446 2447 2448 2449 2450 2451 2452 2453 2454 2455 2456 2457 2458 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 [2469] 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 2505 2506 2507 2508 2509 2510 2511 2512 2513 2514 2515 2516 2517 2518 2519 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722497 times)
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:38:29 PM

Why are people thinking that there is a cheaper alternative when the node pays for itself in a day or two or three, that leaves the rest of the month with pure profit.
I cant believe that people are that cheap.
This is a revolutionary thing we are all participating in.. really? And you want to save a few dollars.
Man ... :facepalm:

wow, just wow. So now we are getting facepalmed for watching the costs ? really ?
I definetely dont like the tone of yr reply. Anyone setting up MN's should act according their own priority's,
whether thats price, location or safety of service provided.

Maybe he didn't go about in the most diplomatic fashion but I think he is absolutely right.

Advising that everyone should set up MNs according to their own priorities is ok to a certain extent but it's not necessarily in the best interests of darkcoin for everyone to do that. Hypothetically, if a hosting provider offered 5 years of free unlimited hosting surely it would be in the best interests of most masternode holders to sign for a service which costs nothing. Would it be in the best interests of darkcoin for every maternode to be hosted with the same provider? Absolutely not.

A look at http://drk.poolhash.org/mnode.html shows that close to 44% of masternodes are hosted with Amazon. Sure they're in different locations but they still belong to the same entity. 20% belonging to Choopa (Vultr) is quite a lot too. Are Darkcoin's masternodes truly decentralised? Perhaps, but if everone signed up to a service just because it were free, the masternode network would be basically centralised, regardless of whether the nodes are hosted by the same entity in one country, or different countries. Because while network issues could be technical, there could also be legal or political issues.

I put it to you that not everyone is acting purely out of self interest when they select their masternode host. No doubt there are those who are struggling to pay the bills but I seriously doubt that is most people who own masternodes. Each one is currently valued at about $5 500.

The Masternode network should be more decentralised and that is the responsibilty of the Masternode owners.

Well said.

come on and relax
you really think amazon is gonna go through their whole world wide servers to 'hunt' down MN's !?!
You are watching too many movies !
No way !!
....>>

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Phillis

Activity: 404
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:42:28 PM

the reasons why people should avoid US companies is due to the NSA revelations and to similar stories of lavabit. Basically, if you run something that the US government does not want, they will go after you, which in this case would be to go after masternodes.

Lets not forget this: http://lavabit.com/
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:45:43 PM

Everybody got their Etherium ?

2 days to go.

DRK wil probably be traded on (or even migrated to) Etherium.

Are you kidding? Endless Ether supply - you have to keep buying the stuff to keep your miracle Etherium app running on their platform.

I can do everything Etherium does in fifteen different languages, for free.

tungfa
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:49:43 PM

the reasons why people should avoid US companies is due to the NSA revelations and to similar stories of lavabit. Basically, if you run something that the US government does not want, they will go after you, which in this case would be to go after masternodes.

US based sure, but internationally ?
No way,
what you think these agent are gonna come to Hong Kong, Japan, Iceland, China, Russia ,..... and shut everybody down ?
NO WAY !
the NSA can play in their backyard as much as they want
internationally nobody gives a flying fuxx .....  Grin .....>>
coinzcoinzcoinz

Activity: 530

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:51:17 PM

Why are people thinking that there is a cheaper alternative when the node pays for itself in a day or two or three, that leaves the rest of the month with pure profit.
This is a revolutionary thing we are all participating in.. really? And you want to save a few dollars.

wow, just wow. So now we are getting facepalmed for watching the costs ? really ?
I definetely dont like the tone of yr reply. Anyone setting up MN's should act according their own priority's,

Maybe he didn't go about in the most diplomatic fashion but I think he is absolutely right.

Advising that everyone should set up MNs according to their own priorities is ok to a certain extent but it's not necessarily in the best interests of darkcoin for everyone to do that. Hypothetically, if a hosting provider offered 5 years of free unlimited hosting surely it would be in the best interests of most masternode holders to sign for a service which costs nothing. Would it be in the best interests of darkcoin for every maternode to be hosted with the same provider? Absolutely not.

A look at http://drk.poolhash.org/mnode.html shows that close to 44% of masternodes are hosted with Amazon. Sure they're in different locations but they still belong to the same entity. 20% belonging to Choopa (Vultr) is quite a lot too. Are Darkcoin's masternodes truly decentralised? Perhaps, but if everone signed up to a service just because it were free, the masternode network would be basically centralised, regardless of whether the nodes are hosted by the same entity in one country, or different countries. Because while network issues could be technical, there could also be legal or political issues.

I put it to you that not everyone is acting purely out of self interest when they select their masternode host. No doubt there are those who are struggling to pay the bills but I seriously doubt that is most people who own masternodes. Each one is currently valued at about $5 500.

The Masternode network should be more decentralised and that is the responsibilty of the Masternode owners.

Well said.
So if Amazon kills all masternodes, we still have >50% of masternodes running. That's more than 400 MN's as it stands today. What's the issue? I don't see it.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:55:40 PM

No way,
what you think these agent are gonna come to Hong Kong, Japan, Iceland, China, Russia ,..... and shut everybody down ?
NO WAY !

Jesus Christ, take a look at US foreign policy for the last hundred years. They are not big believers in live and let live, and every country in the West bends over whenever the US says so.

Brits have been extradited to the US without ever having committed any crime in the UK, because the fucking MPAA buys the laws. You think whoever the spineless worm is that's in power in your country is going to stand up for your rights when Uncle Sam comes knocking? Open your eyes mate.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:57:38 PM

Well said.
So if Amazon kills all masternodes, we still have >50% of masternodes running. That's more than 400 MN's as it stands today. What's the issue? I don't see it.

You don't see an issue with half the network being shut down with one phonecall from some US government shitheel?  Roll Eyes
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:58:24 PM

Are you kidding? Endless Ether supply - you have to keep buying the stuff to keep your miracle Etherium app running on their platform

I know. I'm not quite savvy with the details of how the money supply works. All the same, I saw it as a cardinal technology ergo: mandatory to have a horse in that race. I like Vitalik - I think he's one of the most switched on people in crypto, albeit who probably has a few learning experiences to go through yet.

Also, Etherium has a "big corporate" air about - in relative terms at least - which doesn't go down too well in crypto circles.

The thing is, things are going to get VERY interesting once it launches. It's a generic approach and so should be able to form anything at the flick of a switch including "anon" coins.

On the other hand, traditional approaches like DRK and NXT have come quite a long way and are getting through their "right of passage" phases.

People need to have their antennae perked because if this thing works its impact may be felt across the whole crypto-economy.

We do not know how things are going to go.
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:02:16 PM

Will people just chill out ?

If Amazon explodes off the face of the planet, in 20 minutes you can fire up an node anywhere else! Whats the big deal?! Only problem is downtime.

This is very similar to the 51% attack by miners, and look at both Bitcoin and Litecoin,  extremely centralised. Now THAT is a real issue, and even still a highly speculative hypothetical scenario.

I cant find it, but Evan did put out a calculation on the probability of overriding the MN network by controlling nodes, and its beyond ridiculous.

I absolutely agree the more decentralization the better... but for crying out loud, all you need to do is download the RC-QT, run "masternode list" and get every single MN IP out there, and go after them. And I'm sure Amazon has MUCH better protection platform than small time companies. Now, again, NOT promoting Amazon, I could say Digital Ocean but I'm far more worried about them because they are Microsoft, and I have a pet hate for Microsoft  Shocked

Dont be overly paranoid without justification. We have much bigger issues to debate, like how can the community DO SOMETHING to get Darkcoin out there, instead of going bananas around a far-off scenario that for all intended purposes, may have already happened anyways.

Think about that for a minute.
tungfa
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:02:55 PM

No way,
NO WAY !

Jesus Christ, take a look at US foreign policy for the last hundred years. They are not big believers in live and let live, and every country in the West bends over whenever the US says so.

Brits have been extradited to the US without ever having committed any crime in the UK, because the fucking MPAA buys the laws. You think whoever the spineless worm is that's in power in your country is going to stand up for your rights when Uncle Sam comes knocking? Open your eyes mate.

That is how you (as an American) see your Government,
here (outside US) we are just laughing at this !
The UK maybe .... anybody else ?
NOOOOOOO
 Grin
i am still smiling
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:05:21 PM

etherum is interesting but afaik the sale will go on for a while.

at the moment marketcap is at 7Mio$ and its still climbing. i expect it to be something like 40mio$ in the end.

so it comes to the question what reward chance is there left if everybody who wanted to buy some has got some....

tungfa
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:07:12 PM

at the moment marketcap is at 7Mio$ and its still climbing. i expect it to be something like 40mio$ in the end.

so it comes to the question what reward chance is there left if everybody who wanted to buy some has got some....

raising 21,240,314 ETH / 10,620 BTC .... 6,202,171 US$ !! ... WTF (and counting) ....>>>
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:09:01 PM

raising 21,240,314 ETH / 10,620 BTC .... 6,202,171 US$ !! ... WTF (and counting) ....>>>

exactly. and where will it be in 30 days? 40mio? i dont expect much profit potential tbh.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:10:24 PM

Are you kidding? Endless Ether supply - you have to keep buying the stuff to keep your miracle Etherium app running on their platform

I know. I'm not quite savvy with the details of how the money supply works. All the same, I saw it as a cardinal technology ergo: mandatory to have a horse in that race. I like Vitalik - I think he's one of the most switched on people in crypto, albeit who probably has a few learning experiences to go through yet.

Also, Etherium has a "big corporate" air about - in relative terms at least - which doesn't go down too well in crypto circles.

The thing is, things are going to get VERY interesting once it launches. It's a generic approach and so should be able to form anything at the flick of a switch including "anon" coins.

On the other hand, traditional approaches like DRK and NXT have come quite a long way and are getting through their "right of passage" phases.

People need to have their antennae perked because if this thing works its impact may be felt across the whole crypto-economy.

We do not know how things are going to go.

Etherium is basically just NXT with some homebrew scipting language built in that makes it easy to create apps that both the developer and the user have to go on paying to use, endlessly.

It might be clever in an academic way but it's about as smart as maidsafe... but you're right, people will buy anything...  Undecided
tungfa
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:10:30 PM

exactly. and where will it be in 30 days? 40mio? i dont expect much profit potential tbh.
[/quot

oh it is crazy !
they are raising more cash than ever needed
what are they gonna do ?
program on golden computers ....  Grin .....>
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:18:01 PM

Dont be overly paranoid without justification.

A few months ago the CIA blatantly funded the violent overthrow of the peacefully, democratically elected government of Ukraine and installed a bunch of neonazi clowns because the Ukrainians told the EU by referendum that it wanted no part of their economic disaster-bloc, leading to the current ongoing shitstorm.

How much justification do you need?  Roll Eyes

Burying you head in the sand and hoping they wont come for you one day isn't the way to deal with bullies.

Finding some way to drastically reduce the harm that any government or organisation can do to Darkcoin is exactly what we should be thinking about.
tungfa
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:20:55 PM

Dont be overly paranoid without justification.

A few months ago the CIA blatantly funded the violent overthrow of the peacefully, democratically elected government of Ukraine and installed a bunch of neonazi clowns because the Ukrainians told the EU by referendum that it wanted no part of their economic disaster-bloc, leading to the current ongoing shitstorm.

How much justification do you need?  Roll Eyes

Burying you head in the sand and hoping they wont come for you one day isn't the way to deal with bullies.

was that on Fox News that the CIA was involved !
man you gotta change your channel and NOT believe everything on your TV !
Phillis

Activity: 404

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:21:54 PM

well, i think this is a precautionary issue. Why run the risk with using an american company and/or hosting your masternode in the US? There are plenty of comparable hosting companies located outside of the US. It will cost the same/cheaper and you are further decentralizing the network, by not having 50% of the masternodes ran in the US by amazon. Why run the risk when it can be avoided?
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:24:31 PM

Etherium is basically just NXT with some homebrew scipting language built in that makes it easy to create apps that both the developer and the user have to go on paying to use, endlessly.

Thats one way to look at it.

Another way is that it could just blow everything to kingdom come because it completely liberates the transport layer from the functional layer.

DRK has done that to some extent with its masternode approach, but crypto is in its infancy. Everything thats gone up till now could just be little experiments for what ultimately goes mainstream.

Antennae need to be perked.

tungfa
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:24:59 PM

well, i think this is a precautionary issue. Why run the risk with using an american company and/or hosting your masternode in the US? There are plenty of comparable hosting companies located outside of the US. It will cost the same/cheaper and you are further decentralizing the network, by not having 50% of the masternodes ran in the US by amazon. Why run the risk when it can be avoided?

yes i agree
(and i will get my next MN somewhere else)
but
that whole paranoia that the NSA is everywhere and can do anything
is just bullshit !
you might see that in hollywood movies
but not happening in real life !
 Grin
Pages: « 1 ... 2419 2420 2421 2422 2423 2424 2425 2426 2427 2428 2429 2430 2431 2432 2433 2434 2435 2436 2437 2438 2439 2440 2441 2442 2443 2444 2445 2446 2447 2448 2449 2450 2451 2452 2453 2454 2455 2456 2457 2458 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 [2469] 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 2505 2506 2507 2508 2509 2510 2511 2512 2513 2514 2515 2516 2517 2518 2519 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: