Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:09:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2444 2445 2446 2447 2448 2449 2450 2451 2452 2453 2454 2455 2456 2457 2458 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 [2494] 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 2505 2506 2507 2508 2509 2510 2511 2512 2513 2514 2515 2516 2517 2518 2519 2520 2521 2522 2523 2524 2525 2526 2527 2528 2529 2530 2531 2532 2533 2534 2535 2536 2537 2538 2539 2540 2541 2542 2543 2544 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722497 times)
RenegadeMan

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:10:30 PM

Good article, thanks for posting. And my inner grammar nazi only cringed twice while reading it.  Wink

Yes, it's a pretty good article. Both my inner and outer grammar nazis cringed in unison. Especially for this corker:

"Darkcoin has been spearheaded by team lead Evan Duffield – who has went public with his identity, which has lended legitimacy to the project."

BTC:   1KjAPEa3WvhmDGT4jmT9i5P3UPFdFH629e
DASH: Xdr6U5qcAdbuKRrr3xKBb1ySoPq7MKERnB
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:10:35 PM

Fanatic does not imply a negative connotation, though people may mistakenly perceive it as such.  Its shortened form, fan, is something we use in sports all of the time.

My focus on price may not be justified in your eyes, or the other far more aggressive sorts, but that doesn't mean its not a valid metric.

I can understand why people misperceived my comments, but I can't understand the borderline sociopathic responses.  I simply am wondering why there is a tension between innovation and price.  I see lots of nethash but the price is not reflecting that.  I don't see volume on an exchange either way (price has been stable).  I get it that some (I use some because I don't view the constant posters on this thread as representative of everyone who owns DRK but rather a...passionate...subset of them) don't care about price.  I think a lot do.  Not that its the end all be all but its one factor to consider.  DRK has been out for 6 months, I expect it to mature like most coins.  I think it has great potential but I want to see a wider audience agree with that assessment and reflect it on the market.

I appreciate your psychological analysis but I also feel that those people attacking me should do some reflection as well (not that I expect much).  Honestly I did not bring any invective but I was immediately met with hostility which indicates insecurity.

If you actually read my first post, nothing was confrontational.  My choice of words was merely misinterpreted and perhaps that is due to ignorance.  I will employ simpler words if that results in better comprehension but I maintain nothing I said was inflammatory (provocative, perhaps, but this is a discussion thread and discussions often revolved around provocative topics or else they aren't really discussion but rather conversations).

I see we're getting nowhere. You are now being (apparently deliberately) obtuse.

Fanatic can have either negative or positive connotation. However, typically the positive form is represented by "fan", while "fanatic" is generally the negative form. So "mistakenly perceive" is just flat out wrong.

Secondly, what on earth does this mean?
DRK has been out for 6 months, I expect it to mature like most coins.
Most coins die, not mature. There is no precedent on what coins are "supposed" to do.

Lastly, I suggest you look up "inflammatory" and "provocative", as you seem unaware of their meanings.
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:11:10 PM

Good article, thanks for posting. And my inner grammar nazi only cringed twice while reading it.  Wink

Yes, it's a pretty good article. Both my inner and outer grammar nazis cringed in unison. Especially for this corker:

"Darkcoin has been spearheaded by team lead Evan Duffield – who has went public with his identity, which has lended legitimacy to the project."

I can see that I better not read it at all.  Grin
bitcoinsid

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:19:06 PM

******** Alert **********

Things are starting to look interesting.

[1] - DRK has succeeded in fending off competition (I say that even while being more invested in the competition than DRK - not in BTC terms but in alt coin terms)

[2] - they are unlikely now to eat any further into DRK's marketcap since there is at best equal mileage in development terms across all "anon" coins, while DRK remains at 4 times the "cap" of its nearest competitor. The market doesn't just "de-invest" itself of the market leader for no reason at all

[3] - Italy just posted a Q2 GDP contraction which is lighting up amber alerts trading desks across Europe. What is the problem with this ? It's that Europe is already suffering from deflation, due partly to Mr Draghi's "transmission problem" - the failure of central bank monetary expansion to trigger the multiplier effect in the commercial banking sector and expand the monetary base to at least give the **impression** of economic growth, even though it's not represented by an actual increase in economic activity. This is good for crypto because it may mean the stock market is topping-off and all that money will start looking for escape routes, primarily into commodities of which cryptos qualify as a target.

In this regard, new investors from Fiat will invest in market leaders, not followers.

[4] - DRK has had several weeks now to test its "bottom", for 2 reasons.

a) - post-pump consolidation
b) - fear driven exits to potential competition compounded by a period of un-newsworthy industrial work in progress on Darkcoin

This period of "un-newsworthyness" is coming to an end. The price has had its chance to plummet and hasn't taken it. DRK remains at 400% the market cap of its nearest competitor and is on the verge of moving into a new phase of actual real world deployment. If it didn't loose its lead in the last few weeks then it sure isn't going to do so from now on.

This isn't unexpected because - as I've pointed out in numerous posts on this and other forums - "originals" rarely loose their lead in a given market sector unless some kind of calamity befalls them. Even Litecoin remains at its number 2 position despite being far less unique than DRK in technical characteristics.

In view of all this, I'm therefore going to start dis-investing myself of the hedge positions I had in other "anon" coins and begin to consolidate further my DRK holdings. I recommend all other readers of this thread to do the same.

This is the beginning, not the end. Things are starting to move - not least due to world events outside of crypto.

+1 , so true , i only hold two coins. drk and btc....btc to buy more drk,lol
Forceflow

Activity: 124
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:23:44 PM

I see we're getting nowhere.

I guess we can agree about something. I guess substantive discussion isn't for this thread -- just discussions on parsing meaning of words because everyone is so damn defensive the actual substance is ignored unless it jives with the warm fuzzy view.
Icebucket

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:26:31 PM

This will definitely help with merchant adoption  Grin

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/start-accepting-drk-on-your-website.1965/ 

https://drkipn.com/

“Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”
― Gautama Buddha
BrainShutdown
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:27:06 PM

So let me see if I understand you correctly, if one doesn't share your mindless conformity mindset is a tin-foil hat crazies and acts like rude, abusive 7 year olds.
You know when someone comes to a community offering help with an elevated sense of self righteousness by starting offending its members it is usually received with a defensive/agressive kind of argument. You know this don't you?
A perspective about how reality works is just that, a perspective, not truth.

Just a tip as Ignition75 said: You want to be shown respect, give respect... and maybe, just maybe you should let that sink in before you expose your weaknesses again...

Again, you apparently don't understand (probably because your brain is shutdown).  I gave no disrespect until I was given it.  There is a cause and effect but you missed the cause and only look to the effect.

All I understand is that you fail to see the cause... perhaps you should revisit your first two posts in this thread... maybe the cause you used to justify the effect didn't originate in the words of the "fanatics" in this thread...

superplus

Activity: 475

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 04:43:38 PM

I see we're getting nowhere.

I guess we can agree about something. I guess substantive discussion isn't for this thread -- just discussions on parsing meaning of words because everyone is so damn defensive the actual substance is ignored unless it jives with the warm fuzzy view.

There is no substance, you know everything and nobody cares..
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:10:18 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2014, 05:26:49 PM by coins101

Will we get a massive pump to higher ATH than the previous level? Or will it climb up slowly (or not do anything initially)? Hard to say.

I think it will be the "climb up slowly" option. But that's no bad thing.

Speculative pumps are a very different beast from genuine revaluations. A 5% genuine revaluation is probably worth a 50% speculative pump at least.

I actually see an initial mini-jump, maybe above ATH even, with everyone in the sidelines just itching to pull the trigger after RC4, and whales pumping too, makes a false-rocket-launch to you know where. These are guys who've been looking into dRK for a while now and know whats going on. Whales will dump, but by then we'll be nom nom nom nom on LTC's marketcap. A small dip in the curve, followed a consolidation/slow rise and more nom nom nom... until the world discovers DRK. By then, anyone in LTC will not dump them slowly to maintain LTC prices and cut the losses, they will get the hell out ASAP to get cheap DRKs!!!

Then it should just be plain silly from there.

On another note, some bad news for BTC is great news for DRK.

http://www.coindesk.com/russian-ministry-finance-drafts-bill-banning-bitcoin/

I think this was skipped over with too little consideration.

Let me give my 2 Duffs worth.

Various countries around the world are regulating and banning Bitcoin. We have gotten used to that.

The issue now is that countries legislating against Bitcoin / crypto can deploy tracking tools. Anyone suspected or found to be using illegal crypto can be arrested. Their spending trails and IP addresses become a matter for the local authorities.

The implication is that if you are in a country that allows crypto but you trade or deemed to be somehow connected to someone who operates in a country where crypto is banned, then you could be tracked and legal criminal proceedings could be issued for you to give evidence in a foreign country - or you could be dragged into the criminal case.

If you use a crypto such as Darkcoin and deploy DarkSend+, then you could save yourself a world of pain.  If you interact with Bitcoin and Darkcoin, then you cold save yourself a world of pain.

With Bitcoin and Litecoin, you may think you are acting within the bounds of the law, but foreign entities may take a different view and attempt to use extradition arrangements or just wait for you to land at an airport while you are on holiday and have not the faintest idea that your world is about to be turned upside down.  

Don't believe me? Best of luck to you.
coaex

Activity: 616
Merit: 503

@coaex - LBMA certified Gold & Silver

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 05:10:51 PM

Speaking as the founder/CEO of COAEX Precious Metals accepting DarkCoin, I don't think a majority of merchants would prefer this service since it has 1% fee while CoinPayments have 0.5% fee. However, it's always good for an altcoin to have a dedicated payment processor. If the fee is lowered to CoinPayments' level, I guess it would be a preferred method.

Coaex Precious Metals - Cryptocoin Gold and Silver Bullion
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:21:14 PM

******** Alert **********

Things are starting to look interesting.

[1] - DRK has succeeded in fending off competition (I say that even while being more invested in the competition than DRK - not in BTC terms but in alt coin terms)

[2] - they are unlikely now to eat any further into DRK's marketcap since there is at best equal mileage in development terms across all "anon" coins, while DRK remains at 4 times the "cap" of its nearest competitor. The market doesn't just "de-invest" itself of the market leader for no reason at all

[3] - Italy just posted a Q2 GDP contraction which is lighting up amber alerts trading desks across Europe. What is the problem with this ? It's that Europe is already suffering from deflation, due partly to Mr Draghi's "transmission problem" - the failure of central bank monetary expansion to trigger the multiplier effect in the commercial banking sector and expand the monetary base to at least give the **impression** of economic growth, even though it's not represented by an actual increase in economic activity. This is good for crypto because it may mean the stock market is topping-off and all that money will start looking for escape routes, primarily into commodities of which cryptos qualify as a target.

In this regard, new investors from Fiat will invest in market leaders, not followers.

[4] - DRK has had several weeks now to test its "bottom", for 2 reasons.

a) - post-pump consolidation
b) - fear driven exits to potential competition compounded by a period of un-newsworthy industrial work in progress on Darkcoin

This period of "un-newsworthyness" is coming to an end. The price has had its chance to plummet and hasn't taken it. DRK remains at 400% the market cap of its nearest competitor and is on the verge of moving into a new phase of actual real world deployment. If it didn't loose its lead in the last few weeks then it sure isn't going to do so from now on.

This isn't unexpected because - as I've pointed out in numerous posts on this and other forums - "originals" rarely loose their lead in a given market sector unless some kind of calamity befalls them. Even Litecoin remains at its number 2 position despite being far less unique than DRK in technical characteristics.

In view of all this, I'm therefore going to start dis-investing myself of the hedge positions I had in other "anon" coins and begin to consolidate further my DRK holdings. I recommend all other readers of this thread to do the same.

This is the beginning, not the end. Things are starting to move - not least due to world events outside of crypto.

I think you are smart enough to have to work a bit harder than this.

What gives currency value? Interest rates? Confidence in the issuing country and its macro economic situation?

What gives gold its value beyond speculation and a hedge against inflation? Underlying demand for gold?

What gives crypto its value where all the above are absent?

With Darkcoin, Master Nodes and added services such as Enigma 2.0 are income generating. They give a real rate of return. In the event that these and other services, in addition to the underlying demand for cash over the internet, come on stream within the next 3-18 months what is the enterprise value of Darkcoin at its current start-up phase?

If Darkcoin were to find its way onto second market, what would investors be thinking about the future prospects of Darkcoin and what value would they speculative put on its PE? What is the PE of software based firms like Twitter, Facebook and Netflix?

By all manner of benchmarks, Darkcoin should be over $50m right now, closer to $100m - $200m.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:43:45 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2014, 06:10:09 PM by coins101

Not going to lie, I love the idea of using the masternodes as a second function to host a decentralized marketplace. That, coupled with encrypted end-to-end messaging and anyone could transact privately and pay privately. I could see a flat fee per classified that needs to be renewed monthly to maintain the listing but a minimal fee at best (maybe the equivalent of 25-50 cents). Miners could still get 80% of it to further incentivize them to mine. Downside to doing this, anyone that downloads the client will have access to a marketplace with essentially no limits--that means access to illegal things as well as legal listings.

Having the marketplace integrated into the client is a terrible idea in a whole host of ways, which I might get around to elucidating at a later date, but for now:

The OpenBazaar developers would very much like us to come beta test their project, and would also very much like anyone so skilled and inclined to hack away on it to get Darkcoin integrated, which it turns out isn't going to be too hard at all.

I have posted the full email exchange here: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/meta-developers-needed-building-the-infrastructure-to-allow-for-mass-darkcoin-adoption.1946/

We have some very talented folk among us, if any of you can spare a little time to help out with this in any way it would IMO be of fantastic benefit to us all... Grin

OpenBazaar website and git repo:
https://openbazaar.org/
https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar

+101

This is great.

All I would add is this - add some financial incentives and value to you in there somewhere. Inject a little or preferably a lot of capitalism.

While opensource is admirable, it doesn't always pay the EC2 rent or the electricity bill. It also doesn't incentivise sweat capital to join and grow the network.

Just remember, when the Berlin wall went down, the question about capitalism vs. communism was answered - East Germany, which had the same people and history of the West Germans, was on its last legs and financially no better than Somalia is today. Just ask the Chinese who are now driving around in their BMW X5s.
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 05:49:09 PM

Thanks Tante - here's the reply:

Thanks for reaching out. For now, OpenBazaar is going to be Bitcoin only, but as it's an open-source project we welcome folks to either fork and make their own alt-coin specific marketplace or submit pull requests to incorporate another type of currency into OpenBazaar itself.

We're busting ass to try and get beta launched by the end of the month, so we're going to be narrowly focused on Bitcoin for the forseeable future, but please take a look at the code and feel free to reach out to us in a few months when we're better able to consider incorporating alt-coins.

As to your own marketplace, if you want to consider helping us build OpenBazaar then forking when it's built, we're not opposed to that. We need all the help we can get!

Cheers,

Sam Patterson

- Like I said earlier,  this stuff is time consuming, but I'll try and familiarise myself with the OpenBazaar code because I don't think it will actually be that hard to make it Darkcoin-centric once I've found my way around it.

I strongly suspect that it's not just me and the OpenBazaar guys working on this stuff though, LOL... one way or another we're going to have decentralised markets pretty soon...  Smiley

Awesome!  Wish I could code, I've tried, really I have!  My sister is the quintessential programmer, one of the best, but I have no talent and my eyes cross trying.  I'm only good at a little hacking, that's it.

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:00:01 PM

When RC4 and IP Obfuscation kick-in, we are so gonna piss all over Western Union Grin
rickraw

Activity: 387

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:03:03 PM

Anybody hear anything from CHAOSITEC?  Really curious about his latest project!

DASH - Private. Instant. Digital Cash.   DASHPAY.IO
Propulsion

Activity: 658

The Buck Stops Here.

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:08:40 PM

Anybody hear anything from CHAOSITEC?  Really curious about his latest project!

Nope.  Wink
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:29:44 PM

Not going to lie, I love the idea of using the masternodes as a second function to host a decentralized marketplace. That, coupled with encrypted end-to-end messaging and anyone could transact privately and pay privately. I could see a flat fee per classified that needs to be renewed monthly to maintain the listing but a minimal fee at best (maybe the equivalent of 25-50 cents). Miners could still get 80% of it to further incentivize them to mine. Downside to doing this, anyone that downloads the client will have access to a marketplace with essentially no limits--that means access to illegal things as well as legal listings.

Having the marketplace integrated into the client is a terrible idea in a whole host of ways, which I might get around to elucidating at a later date, but for now:

The OpenBazaar developers would very much like us to come beta test their project, and would also very much like anyone so skilled and inclined to hack away on it to get Darkcoin integrated, which it turns out isn't going to be too hard at all.

I have posted the full email exchange here: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/meta-developers-needed-building-the-infrastructure-to-allow-for-mass-darkcoin-adoption.1946/

We have some very talented folk among us, if any of you can spare a little time to help out with this in any way it would IMO be of fantastic benefit to us all... Grin

OpenBazaar website and git repo:
https://openbazaar.org/
https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar

+101

This is great.

All I would add is this - add some financial incentives and value to you in there somewhere. Inject a little or preferably a lot of capitalism.

While opensource is admirable, it doesn't always pay the EC2 rent or the electricity bill. It also doesn't incentivise sweat capital to join and grow the network.

Just remember, when the Berlin wall went down, the question about capitalism vs. communism was answered - East Germany, which had the same people and history of the West Germans, was on its last legs and financially no better than Somalia is today. Just ask the Chinese who are now driving around in their BMW X5s.

I haven't actually had time to play with it myself yet, hopefully I'll get a few hours tonight. I assume some kind of fee is charged for anyone using the OB escrow system as well as for placing a listing - if not there will be by the time I'm finished with it. Hopefully we can beat ebay/paypal fees by an order of magnitude and still turn a profit.

Open source doesn't mean you can't make money from it! Smiley
bigrcanada

Activity: 588

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 06:35:41 PM

geez christ.... really.  if you want to know about the technology for real and have serious questions about darkcoin
a)  do some research for yourself and dont ask others  to do it for you.  go to darkcointalk and not here.

b) if you dont like how people act here... leave!  otherwise your acting like a troll.

you seem like an intelligent individual... respect others and engage in intelligent dialogue.  

Proud lifetime DASH Foundation Member | First Brick & Mortar DASH Merchant |  Please visit DASH.org or DASHtalk.org for a list of merchants and information.
chaeplin

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:50:50 PM

Testnet update

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/rc4-testing.1830/page-61#post-14911

pbleak
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:58:40 PM

Nice movement on the market at the moment.
Pages: « 1 ... 2444 2445 2446 2447 2448 2449 2450 2451 2452 2453 2454 2455 2456 2457 2458 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 [2494] 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 2505 2506 2507 2508 2509 2510 2511 2512 2513 2514 2515 2516 2517 2518 2519 2520 2521 2522 2523 2524 2525 2526 2527 2528 2529 2530 2531 2532 2533 2534 2535 2536 2537 2538 2539 2540 2541 2542 2543 2544 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: