Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 06:35:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 [346] 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 03:23:11 PM

Quotes

This is the article on Melanie Shapiro that provided the quotes: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/billrobinson/having-my-mind-changed-on_b_7613676.html

If you want to pare down the number of her quotes, here's a couple that could possibly go.

This one sounds similar to the bad news Silk Road quote of hers, except I like that one better because of her comment on anonymity:
"While we can attribute a lot of our early attention to stories of bitcoin scandal, Mt Gox, and high-profile arrests, the stories being told now are of how the technology could have the potential to bring efficiency to the financial industry."
Melanie Shapiro – Founder/CEO of CaseWallet

I don't think this quote is strong enough compared to the others we have:
"It does worry me that bitcoin won't succeed, that something will stand in our way and we'll never see it live up to it's promise and this is sad because there are a lot of people who really need this to work."
Melanie Shapiro – Founder/CEO of CaseWallet

Thanks Chase, those are good picks to pull out. I'm going to have to pull the super long one from Reid Hoffman as well.

This one below may be a good removal candidate as well.

Bitcoin may be the TCP/IP of money
Paul Buchheit - Creator of Google’s Gmail Service

Got all of those removed, did a few back end changes along with some recommendations via email. So we should be ready from my end for soft launch once we get a few more articles listed.

I will try to get the site listed as a news site on google/yahoo etc... We will have a press release I'm sure. Created a facebook and twitter page. Have any other ideas for promoting the site upon soft launch?

Excellent. I hope to have an article title: "Digital Currency - The Future Of Money" done by early tomorrow.

We will have a major press release at launch and a massive tweeter campaign. Additionally, I will reach out to my almost 3,000 LinkedIn connections.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 08:07:03 PM

I can't say I was altogether surprised to read this in an article today:

"For it to replace current payment systems, Bitcoin had to be marketed as having distinct advantages over using credit cards or services like PayPal. The difficulty with this is that the advantages are subjective and merchants, and the public as a whole, has had a hard time in seeing them. The advantages of Bitcoin have certainly not been enough to warrant using it in preference to credit cards."
Source: http://theconversation.com/what-is-bitcoin-it-is-not-that-complicated-if-you-ignore-the-geek-speak-46512

I don't find the advantages subjective at all, but there is some truth to the statement, as they haven't been communicated well. There is probably too many advantages to list. Sounds the start of a good DCEBrief featured article right? What do you think are the advantages that would have the most impact on the general public and/or merchants?

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 01:03:34 AM

"For it to replace current payment systems, Bitcoin had to be marketed as having distinct advantages over using credit cards or services like PayPal. The difficulty with this is that the advantages are subjective and merchants, and the public as a whole, has had a hard time in seeing them. The advantages of Bitcoin have certainly not been enough to warrant using it in preference to credit cards."
Source: http://theconversation.com/what-is-bitcoin-it-is-not-that-complicated-if-you-ignore-the-geek-speak-46512

I don't find the advantages subjective at all, but there is some truth to the statement, as they haven't been communicated well. There is probably too many advantages to list. Sounds the start of a good DCEBrief featured article right? What do you think are the advantages that would have the most impact on the general public and/or merchants?

We could try a slightly different approach and make an ethical argument for using it.

By using a global currency, you are helping others around the world who don't have the good fortune of living in a country where the currency is dependable.  A global currency will allow 2 billion(?) people who don't have banking access to finally participate in economic growth and prosperity.  The currency will have the same value everywhere in the world and will not be subject to government corruption. Everyone will have equal access to a stable currency and wealth creation.  etc, etc...

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 01:53:22 AM

DNotes Price Update:

I am sure there is significant concern on the continued dumping of DNotes at Poloniex. This has been going on over for over a month now. I know that quite a number of our supporters have been acquiring fairly large quantities, including myself, to help support the market. Not being able to pinpoint where the additional DNotes have been coming from, it is probable best to wait it out and let the free market forces take its course. It is unfortunate but that is the nature of our industry.

For those who are invested for the long term, this should not be a serious concern. We will continue to build out our ecosystem. DCEBrief will be launched the first week of September with full press distribution. It is looking very impressive. Check it out if you have not done so: http://www.dcebrief.com/  
User ID: dce    Password: brief   Your feed back and comments will be appreciated.

DCEBrief will be a significant contribution to our industry and DNotes. The site is created by and funded by the DNotes team with significant support and inputs from key members of our community. We will be enlisting the participation of industry leaders to be contributors of articles covering wide ranging issues that matter to our industry. We are firmly committed to the long term success of DNotes. We appreciate your continued support. Thank you.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 02:05:45 AM

We could try a slightly different approach and make an ethical argument for using it.

By using a global currency, you are helping others around the world who don't have the good fortune of living in a country where the currency is dependable.  A global currency will allow 2 billion(?) people who don't have banking access to finally participate in economic growth and prosperity.  The currency will have the same value everywhere in the world and will not be subject to government corruption. Everyone will have equal access to a stable currency and wealth creation.  etc, etc...

Those are great points. I will attempt to incorporate them in a number of articles I will be writing for DCEBrief. I am focusing on a very specific theme for each article write targeting the the laypersons.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2015, 03:47:45 AM

DNotes Price Update:

I am sure there is significant concern on the continued dumping of DNotes at Poloniex. This has been going on over for over a month now. I know that quite a number of our supporters have been acquiring fairly large quantities, including myself, to help support the market. Not being able to pinpoint where the additional DNotes have been coming from, it is probable best to wait it out and let the free market forces take its course. It is unfortunate but that is the nature of our industry.

For those who are invested for the long term, this should not be a serious concern. We will continue to build out our ecosystem. DCEBrief will be launched the first week of September with full press distribution. It is looking very impressive. Check it out if you have not done so: http://www.dcebrief.com/  
User ID: dce    Password: brief   Your feed back and comments will be appreciated.

DCEBrief will be a significant contribution to our industry and DNotes. The site is created by and funded by the DNotes team with significant support and inputs from key members of our community. We will be enlisting the participation of industry leaders to be contributors of articles covering wide ranging issues that matter to our industry. We are firmly committed to the long term success of DNotes. We appreciate your continued support. Thank you.

It's good to know DNotes are moving into the hands of strong supporters and a great buying opportunity for any long term investors.

Looking forward to launching DCEBrief, everyone put in a lot of effort to make it happen.

The One
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 04:29:02 AM

On the top you have Home     Bitcoin     Business     DNotes     Finance     Regulation     Technology
DNotes should be before Bitcoin and perhaps a different colour font like red to make it stand out. After all it's DNotes website no Bitcoin.

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 05:28:25 AM

On the top you have Home     Bitcoin     Business     DNotes     Finance     Regulation     Technology
DNotes should be before Bitcoin and perhaps a different colour font like red to make it stand out. After all it's DNotes website no Bitcoin.

Thanks for your input. We will take a look.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 05:38:54 AM

We have made an official submission to PayServices as shown below:

This is a very large scale project that will take some time to implement and be in full regulatory compliances. PayServices will be one of our important strategic partners. I will personally play an active role to assist them in any ways I can.  We are looking to a great relationship with Pay Services.

August 24, 2015

To: Willy Danenberg
       V.P., PayServices

Co-Founder
          DNotes

Submission to PayServices For Listing Inclusion

Symbol: NOTE

Description:

Like fiat currency, there will be hundreds of digital currencies serving many different constituents. Complimented with reasonable regulatory guidance to ensure consumer protection and a truly global MultiExchange Operating System like PayServices, where any asset of value can be traded and exchanged; collectively, digital currency will be the future of money.

DNotes' Co-Founder Alan Yong, a visionary and a passionate leader of our industry firmly believes that equally important is a trusted global decentralized digital currency that will become an excellent medium of exchange, unit of account, and store of value conveniently available for everyone worldwide. We are also grounded on the philosophy that while DNotes is managed as a business, it is not controlled as a business. As a currency, DNotes must remain truly decentralized.

Uniquely different is DNotes’ belief that, to be the global digital currency leader, there must be a community or entity that has sufficient self-interest to promote and protect the currency, preserving a high level of confidence and trust in the currency while providing fundamental value to support the increasing value of the currency. This demanding mission began with the founding of the currency on February 18, 2014 and a commitment to build and fund the most critical segments of our own ecosystem.

To ensure that the expected increasing currency value is supported by fundamental value, there are plans to incorporate a profit bearing company in which DNotes, the currency, will own up to 25% through a professionally managed fund designed to create stability and growth over the long term. All DNotes properties will be rolled over into the company, including DNotesVault, CryptoMoms, CRISP Savings Programs, and DCEBrief.

http://DNotesCoin.com

Wallets:
http://dnotescoin.com/download.php

WebVault:
http://DNotesVault.com

Source:
https://github.com/DNotesCoin/DNotes/

Other Properties:
http://CryptoMoms.com
http://DCEBrief.com

Forum:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=470155.new#new

Block Explorer:
http://explorer.cryptoblox.com/chain/DNotes

Details:
Scrypt Proof of Work Algorithm
500,000,000 Total Coins
60 second Block time
KGW (w/Time Warp Patch) Difficulty Re-targeting.
Block Reward Structure:
1-150,000 = 250
250-33,250 = 1,000 (Block bonus for the first month)
150,000+ = 25
Then block reward is reduced by 5% yearly.
3% of total DNotes issued to individuals and venues that assist to promote the success of DNotes.
2% of total DNotes budgeted for development, marketing and long term support.

Ports:
rpc port: 11223
net port: 11224

Sample conf
addnode=n6.dnotescoin.com
addnode=n7.dnotescoin.com
addnode=n4.dnotescoin.com
addnode=n5.dnotescoin.com
addnode=128.199.239.199
addnode=95.85.44.200
addnode=162.243.225.90
CryptoBroker79

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 06:45:42 AM

This is a very large scale project that will take some time to implement and be in full regulatory compliances. PayServices will be one of our important strategic partners. I will personally play an active role to assist them in any ways I can.  We are looking to a great relationship with Pay Services.

August 24, 2015

V.P., PayServices

Co-Founder
          DNotes

Description:

Like fiat currency, there will be hundreds of digital currencies serving many different constituents. Complimented with reasonable regulatory guidance to ensure consumer protection and a truly global MultiExchange Operating System like PayServices, where any asset of value can be traded and exchanged; collectively, digital currency will be the future of money.

DNotes' Co-Founder Alan Yong, a visionary and a passionate leader of our industry firmly believes that equally important is a trusted global decentralized digital currency that will become an excellent medium of exchange, unit of account, and store of value conveniently available for everyone worldwide. We are also grounded on the philosophy that while DNotes is managed as a business, it is not controlled as a business. As a currency, DNotes must remain truly decentralized.

Uniquely different is DNotes’ belief that, to be the global digital currency leader, there must be a community or entity that has sufficient self-interest to promote and protect the currency, preserving a high level of confidence and trust in the currency while providing fundamental value to support the increasing value of the currency. This demanding mission began with the founding of the currency on February 18, 2014 and a commitment to build and fund the most critical segments of our own ecosystem.

To ensure that the expected increasing currency value is supported by fundamental value, there are plans to incorporate a profit bearing company in which DNotes, the currency, will own up to 25% through a professionally managed fund designed to create stability and growth over the long term. All DNotes properties will be rolled over into the company, including DNotesVault, CryptoMoms, CRISP Savings Programs, and DCEBrief.

Very well said, it's safe to say that there are very few (if any) people in our industry with your business sense and networking ability. DNotes holders are very lucky to have you putting in all this hard work for us!
matatyau-cohen

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 08:55:30 AM

Banks are blind to everything but to economic power. when it was a fact that the bitcoin has an economic power which was given to it by passionate strong community, the banks began to plan the bitcoin's paticipation in their old economy. that is exactly the treatment that all further and new coin get from the banks. yet the banks aren't smell enough economic power. more than that, the further and new coins will not be able to repeat the bitcoin behavior, meaning-- just to gather a community. they would have to invent their economic power from the begining. my view is that the further and new coins must create together a global cooperation that would make them a great economic power which no bank would be able to ignor, and any bank would be able to smell --- global new economic power

Here's an interesting article regarding the banks entering the digital currency / blockchain space.  The author may be right here in that the banks will enter very slowly and try and fit this technology into their existing archaic model.

Bitcoin: Another Banking Headache

A recent flurry of media reports and surveys have touted that some banking and financial services sector players are undertaking interesting projects with blockchains and decentralized ledgers in particular. But this burst of activity is hardly enough to prematurely claim victory on behalf of the few banks who have publicized such initiatives.

It is naive to assume that the blockchain will make the most impact where it is to be adopted early. Rather, it will make the most impact where change is hardest to achieve, and that might take a little longer, realistically.

The blockchain and its derivative technologies are one of the biggest opportunities for reengineering financial services. It’s a looming tsunami, and the big question is whether the banks will fail to reinvent themselves as they did with the Internet, or if they will dare to induce a self-inflicted shake-up and embrace the future.

Based on the early activity that I’m seeing, it appears that the banks are taking a narrow minded view of the opportunity being presented to them. Not unlike how they tackled the Internet in 1995.

If you’re a CEO or senior executive at a big bank or large financial institution, you will remember the advent of the Internet and its subsequent entry into the world of finance. That was around 1994-1997. Having been there too, and involved with some banks in an advisory capacity, I remember well that the banking sector didn’t take the Internet too seriously for at least the first three-to-four years of its commercialization. For example, when it came to Internet payments, banks didn’t want to touch them initially under the pretext that they “weren’t safe”.

Then, a handful of Internet-only banks and online brokerage startups were created, and banks followed by offering online banking, buying the brokerage companies, and much later rushed to develop smartphone apps for their customers.

Slow progress

Even when the banking sector took the Internet seriously, they did so very slowly, and without much innovation and without rocking the boat. When I look at my online banking today, the features are mostly about convenience, but I can’t do too much beyond the basics. My foreign exchange account doesn’t link to my banking card, I can’t exchange money online, and can’t initiate a wire transfer unless I visit the bank or have a fancy business account.

If I was a millennial today, I wouldn’t think twice about not using a traditional bank because most of the services I am attracted to are offered by alternative financial services companies, primarily due to innovative FinTech startups that sprung up in the past decade.

Here’s a typical millennial’s “financial stack”. In fact, a mere $2.3bn has funded the production of 126 FinTech companies in the past few years only. That certainly pales in comparison to the $200bn globally spent each year on IT by the banking sector, a high figure backed by the fact that the financial services industry consistently outspends other industries on technology. But we would be hard pressed to see real innovation coming out of that huge spending, because the bulk of those budgets are for keeping the lights on and infrastructure running.

Indeed, many banks have established so-called innovation and research centers with multi-million dollar budgets. But that’s not enough. These supposedly act as research laboratories with a mandate to run pilots and experiments. But are they really innovating at the pace of external innovation or are they being gatekeepers to the real innovation that’s happening outside banks?

In reality, few of these centers are real innovators. They are still bound by the bank’s current and legacy business models. It is puzzling that your business units couldn’t innovate on their own. Why not issue innovation mandates everywhere, not just in the “innovation center”?

And that’s all before bitcoin in the mix yet.

Enter bitcoin, cryptocurrencies, blockchains, distributed ledgers and more technical jargon.

Hello bitcoin, another banking headache

Bitcoin is the “Internet of money” after all, so that should have gotten a banker’s attention from day one. Then we have the blockchain, the infrastructure behind bitcoin and other decentralization technologies. Well, let’s say it’s like a new type of database that has the potential to wreak havoc for your IT departments. It sounds like a perfect discussion between a CEO and their CIO.

I have said this before many times. The novel field is not bitcoin and it’s not just blockchain. It’s the intersection of cryptography technology with software engineering. We could call it CryptoTech for a lack of a better word.

CryptoTech is not a unidirectional phenomenon. It’s multi-dimensional, therefore it will have different bifurcations. It has multiple identities. And it’s more than just about bitcoin or blockchains. It is simultaneously:

-Currency with wings, and no borders

-Software Technology with a new development architecture paradigm

-Accounting Ledger that is distributed and decentralized

-Consensus Clearing network that acts as a “trust layer” that can validate business logic, not just transactions

-Real-Time Messaging System that’s built-in, therefore it’s very fast

-Global Online Community with special network effects

-Transactions Engine that can verify transactions and approval levels

-Computing Infrastructure that is global and similar to a cloud-based one

-Reengineering Catalyst that enables innovation and new processes focused on enabling decentralization

The larger the organization, the more it needs to address all of these pieces, because it will be touched by each one of them, sooner or later.

So, in addition to focusing on the decentralized ledger properties of the blockchain, the banking sector needs to take a more holistic approach to determining what blockchain technologies (including bitcoin) can do for them.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-another-banking-headache/

This is a well written article that I had wanted to comment on but just ran out of time. The process of change is never quick or easy, especially in this case where big money; financial institutions are involved. Early adaptors of digital currency like us can often get over excited and become too optimistic or too pessimistic.  

I agreed with the author that “the banks will enter very slowly and try and fit this technology into their existing archaic model ….. taking a narrow minded view of the opportunity being presented to them. Not unlike how they tackled the Internet in 1995.”

However, it is important to take notes that in the beginning the banks and credit card companies were totally against Bitcoin as a new currency and had little appreciation for the blockchain technology.

When they realized that the potential threat could become real they started hiring high priced consultants. The author pointed out that “many banks have established so-called innovation and research centers with multi-million dollar budgets. But that’s not enough.” I agree. But that is good for PR and it can be an effective tool to push back, buy more time and create some confusion and fear for the digital currency industry.

But make no mistake about, the banks may take time to adapt and change but it will happen. They will exploit the best of the blockchain technology to their advantage. I am certain that battle plans are on the drawing board to confuse and slow down our industry. The banks will eventually have their version of digital currency. It will be a centralized digital currency with high fees for service and a drastic reduction in payroll cost. Many jobs will be lost.

Correct me if I am wrong, this is the only sizable industry with over 250,000 jobs, and growing rapidly, that does not have an industry association or any form of a united voice or leadership to promote and protect its best interest. That is something to think about.  

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 12:05:22 PM

August 24, 2015

V.P., PayServices

Co-Founder
          DNotes

Description:

Very well said, it's safe to say that there are very few (if any) people in our industry with your business sense and networking ability. DNotes holders are very lucky to have you putting in all this hard work for us!

Thank you, CryptoBrooker. I have made this my personal mission as well. I truly believe that the time is right to have an alternative to fiat currency to supplement it to the extent that the people of the world have a choice and an insurance to protect the little they can save. As a trusted global digital currency for everyone worldwide to participate, DNotes can also bring significant productivity gain across the board helping many to improve their standard of living. It will also be the best vehicle for international charity organizations and wealthy individuals to participate in our efforts to improve economic inequality around the world. Nothing of such scale and scope will be easy or quick. We are absolutely on the right track gaining awareness and respect every step of our moves.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 02:00:06 PM

Banks are blind to everything but to economic power. when it was a fact that the bitcoin has an economic power which was given to it by passionate strong community, the banks began to plan the bitcoin's paticipation in their old economy. that is exactly the treatment that all further and new coin get from the banks. yet the banks aren't smell enough economic power. more than that, the further and new coins will not be able to repeat the bitcoin behavior, meaning-- just to gather a community. they would have to invent their economic power from the begining. my view is that the further and new coins must create together a global cooperation that would make them a great economic power which no bank would be able to ignor, and any bank would be able to smell --- global new economic power

Here's an interesting article regarding the banks entering the digital currency / blockchain space.  The author may be right here in that the banks will enter very slowly and try and fit this technology into their existing archaic model.

A recent flurry of media reports and surveys have touted that some banking and financial services sector players are undertaking interesting projects with blockchains and decentralized ledgers in particular. But this burst of activity is hardly enough to prematurely claim victory on behalf of the few banks who have publicized such initiatives.

It is naive to assume that the blockchain will make the most impact where it is to be adopted early. Rather, it will make the most impact where change is hardest to achieve, and that might take a little longer, realistically.

The blockchain and its derivative technologies are one of the biggest opportunities for reengineering financial services. It’s a looming tsunami, and the big question is whether the banks will fail to reinvent themselves as they did with the Internet, or if they will dare to induce a self-inflicted shake-up and embrace the future.

Based on the early activity that I’m seeing, it appears that the banks are taking a narrow minded view of the opportunity being presented to them. Not unlike how they tackled the Internet in 1995.

If you’re a CEO or senior executive at a big bank or large financial institution, you will remember the advent of the Internet and its subsequent entry into the world of finance. That was around 1994-1997. Having been there too, and involved with some banks in an advisory capacity, I remember well that the banking sector didn’t take the Internet too seriously for at least the first three-to-four years of its commercialization. For example, when it came to Internet payments, banks didn’t want to touch them initially under the pretext that they “weren’t safe”.

Then, a handful of Internet-only banks and online brokerage startups were created, and banks followed by offering online banking, buying the brokerage companies, and much later rushed to develop smartphone apps for their customers.

Slow progress

Even when the banking sector took the Internet seriously, they did so very slowly, and without much innovation and without rocking the boat. When I look at my online banking today, the features are mostly about convenience, but I can’t do too much beyond the basics. My foreign exchange account doesn’t link to my banking card, I can’t exchange money online, and can’t initiate a wire transfer unless I visit the bank or have a fancy business account.

If I was a millennial today, I wouldn’t think twice about not using a traditional bank because most of the services I am attracted to are offered by alternative financial services companies, primarily due to innovative FinTech startups that sprung up in the past decade.

Here’s a typical millennial’s “financial stack”. In fact, a mere $2.3bn has funded the production of 126 FinTech companies in the past few years only. That certainly pales in comparison to the $200bn globally spent each year on IT by the banking sector, a high figure backed by the fact that the financial services industry consistently outspends other industries on technology. But we would be hard pressed to see real innovation coming out of that huge spending, because the bulk of those budgets are for keeping the lights on and infrastructure running.

Indeed, many banks have established so-called innovation and research centers with multi-million dollar budgets. But that’s not enough. These supposedly act as research laboratories with a mandate to run pilots and experiments. But are they really innovating at the pace of external innovation or are they being gatekeepers to the real innovation that’s happening outside banks?

In reality, few of these centers are real innovators. They are still bound by the bank’s current and legacy business models. It is puzzling that your business units couldn’t innovate on their own. Why not issue innovation mandates everywhere, not just in the “innovation center”?

Enter bitcoin, cryptocurrencies, blockchains, distributed ledgers and more technical jargon.

Bitcoin is the “Internet of money” after all, so that should have gotten a banker’s attention from day one. Then we have the blockchain, the infrastructure behind bitcoin and other decentralization technologies. Well, let’s say it’s like a new type of database that has the potential to wreak havoc for your IT departments. It sounds like a perfect discussion between a CEO and their CIO.

I have said this before many times. The novel field is not bitcoin and it’s not just blockchain. It’s the intersection of cryptography technology with software engineering. We could call it CryptoTech for a lack of a better word.

CryptoTech is not a unidirectional phenomenon. It’s multi-dimensional, therefore it will have different bifurcations. It has multiple identities. And it’s more than just about bitcoin or blockchains. It is simultaneously:

-Consensus Clearing network that acts as a “trust layer” that can validate business logic, not just transactions

-Reengineering Catalyst that enables innovation and new processes focused on enabling decentralization

The larger the organization, the more it needs to address all of these pieces, because it will be touched by each one of them, sooner or later.

So, in addition to focusing on the decentralized ledger properties of the blockchain, the banking sector needs to take a more holistic approach to determining what blockchain technologies (including bitcoin) can do for them.

This is a well written article that I had wanted to comment on but just ran out of time. The process of change is never quick or easy, especially in this case where big money; financial institutions are involved. Early adaptors of digital currency like us can often get over excited and become too optimistic or too pessimistic.  

I agreed with the author that “the banks will enter very slowly and try and fit this technology into their existing archaic model ….. taking a narrow minded view of the opportunity being presented to them. Not unlike how they tackled the Internet in 1995.”

However, it is important to take notes that in the beginning the banks and credit card companies were totally against Bitcoin as a new currency and had little appreciation for the blockchain technology.

When they realized that the potential threat could become real they started hiring high priced consultants. The author pointed out that “many banks have established so-called innovation and research centers with multi-million dollar budgets. But that’s not enough.” I agree. But that is good for PR and it can be an effective tool to push back, buy more time and create some confusion and fear for the digital currency industry.

But make no mistake about, the banks may take time to adapt and change but it will happen. They will exploit the best of the blockchain technology to their advantage. I am certain that battle plans are on the drawing board to confuse and slow down our industry. The banks will eventually have their version of digital currency. It will be a centralized digital currency with high fees for service and a drastic reduction in payroll cost. Many jobs will be lost.

Correct me if I am wrong, this is the only sizable industry with over 250,000 jobs, and growing rapidly, that does not have an industry association or any form of a united voice or leadership to promote and protect its best interest. That is something to think about.  

I hear you, Mati. Banks and credit card companies had very little good things to say about Bitcoin just a year ago. They finally realized that Bitcoin and other digital currency can eat up the lunch one day if they don’t do something about it.

They are certainly doing something about it now but it may be limited to a few of the largest banks, at this stage. We will remain friendly and respectful but we are positioning DNotes to gain a fair share of the global market so that there is a choice for an alternative currency for the people of the world.

Being truly decentralized, with a trusted brand, DNotes will be a ray of hope and sunshine for millions who struggle everyday because of widespread economic inequalities around the world. That is my source of inspiration no matter how challenging my days may be at times. It is a hard and strenuous battle but nothing of such massive size and scope will come quick or easy. I appreciate the support and encouragement you all have given me. This will be a journey well worth our dedication and hard work.
CryptoBroker79

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 02:25:42 PM

Slow progress

I hear you, Mati. Banks and credit card companies had very little good things to say about Bitcoin just a year ago. They finally realized that Bitcoin and other digital currency can eat up the lunch one day if they don’t do something about it.

They are certainly doing something about it now but it may be limited to a few of the largest banks, at this stage. We will remain friendly and respectful but we are positioning DNotes to gain a fair share of the global market so that there is a choice for an alternative currency for the people of the world.

Being truly decentralized, with a trusted brand, DNotes will be a ray of hope and sunshine for millions who struggle everyday because of widespread economic inequalities around the world. That is my source of inspiration no matter how challenging my days may be at times. It is a hard and strenuous battle but nothing of such massive size and scope will come quick or easy. I appreciate the support and encouragement you all have given me. This will be a journey well worth our dedication and hard work.

This is a great point. Although it can be disheartening to see DNotes prices drop like this, I like to remind myself that being able to buy at reasonable prices could be the difference between welfare and prosperity for those who find themselves trapped within the confines of their current financial situation, unable to make forward progress. Or for those who find themselves trapped in the vicious poverty cycle, excluded by the financial system altogether.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2015, 02:55:24 PM

Slow progress

This is a great point. Although it can be disheartening to see DNotes prices drop like this, I like to remind myself that being able to buy at reasonable prices could be the difference between welfare and prosperity for those who find themselves trapped within the confines of their current financial situation, unable to make forward progress. Or for those who find themselves trapped in the vicious poverty cycle, excluded by the financial system altogether.

That is a great outlook, and long term investors know it is temporary. As long as we keep moving forward, doing the right things for the right reasons, with a good strategy, we will overwhelm any obstacles.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2015, 04:14:28 PM

Is there an opportunity here to reach out with the CRISP for Students program?

Stanford Joins NYU and Duke in Offering Bitcoin Course

Stanford is joining NYU and Duke University in offering a course on bitcoin – kicking off with a free security webinar tomorrow.

The college's new course, Crypto Currencies: Bitcoin and Friends, launches on 21st September. Besides Stanford students, it will be open to professionals completing their graduate certificate in cyber security.

Computer Science professor Dan Boneh, an expert in applied cryptography, will lead the course – which tackles security across the entire bitcoin ecosystem. In a release he said:

"The technology behind bitcoin and other crypto currencies can be an indispensable tool for protecting information."

While the introductory webinar is free, tuition for the remainder of the sessions clocks in at $3,960 (a $600 discount for attendees from one of Stanford's member organisations). To complete the certificate, which requires four modules in total, will cost between $13,440 and $18,480.

Founded in 1885, Stanford frequently ranks in the top five universities in the US, only 5.7% applicants who apply are accepted. While not the first, it is the most prestigious school to offer bitcoin tuition.

Source: http://www.coindesk.com/stanford-joins-nyu-and-duke-in-offering-bitcoin-course/

CryptoBroker79

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 08:32:35 PM

Stanford is joining NYU and Duke University in offering a course on bitcoin – kicking off with a free security webinar tomorrow.

The college's new course, Crypto Currencies: Bitcoin and Friends, launches on 21st September. Besides Stanford students, it will be open to professionals completing their graduate certificate in cyber security.

Computer Science professor Dan Boneh, an expert in applied cryptography, will lead the course – which tackles security across the entire bitcoin ecosystem. In a release he said:

"The technology behind bitcoin and other crypto currencies can be an indispensable tool for protecting information."

While the introductory webinar is free, tuition for the remainder of the sessions clocks in at $3,960 (a $600 discount for attendees from one of Stanford's member organisations). To complete the certificate, which requires four modules in total, will cost between $13,440 and $18,480.

Founded in 1885, Stanford frequently ranks in the top five universities in the US, only 5.7% applicants who apply are accepted. While not the first, it is the most prestigious school to offer bitcoin tuition.

Source: http://www.coindesk.com/stanford-joins-nyu-and-duke-in-offering-bitcoin-course/

That's quite the price tag, most people would need to take out a loan in order to afford that. This sends a strong message that Bitcoin education is exclusive to a privileged few, when the focus should be on making it as inclusive as possible. Widespread free education will help our industry flourish, giving anyone with an internet connection the equal opportunity to play a role in its growth and development.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2015, 01:38:42 AM

That's quite the price tag, most people would need to take out a loan in order to afford that. This sends a strong message that Bitcoin education is exclusive to a privileged few, when the focus should be on making it as inclusive as possible. Widespread free education will help our industry flourish, giving anyone with an internet connection the equal opportunity to play a role in its growth and development.

Agreed, the certification costs about the same as a brand new car. I understand it is Stanford, by the time it reaches your local colleges I'm sure it will be much more affordable with online courses and such.

Here is the course outline:
The potential application for Bitcoin-like technologies is enormous. This course covers the technical aspects of engineering secure software, system interactions with crypto-currencies, and distributed consensus for reliability.

Instructors
Dan Boneh Professor, Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
Topics Include
Altcoins
Bitcoin transactions
Consensus protocols
Cryptocurrency
Elliptic curves
Hash functions
Mining strategies and incentives
Proposed Bitcoin regulations
Zerocoin, zerocash
Units
Prerequisites
CS110

TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 03:34:29 AM

That is really interesting!?

Perhaps a polite CRISP for Students e-mail proposal to one of these programs is in order? I have been in contact with my own school a bit here and there, but each e-mail I write requires some 1500 to 2000 words to communicate fully. Luckily, I'm now on school holiday for two weeks - time to pick up some of those DCEBrief.com topics. Alternatively, perhaps a LinkedIN approach directly by DYNA could have a large impact.

It is annoying watching the crypto volatility as we have seen this last week or two, for me it is not because of personal loss in 'wealth', because I view future appreciation in the longer term as a certainty, but because it makes it a little more difficult to sell the idea of crypto to people after having week after week of boom/bust/repeat. This is not unlike what we have seen in US / Chinese markets recently though, the uncertainty and losses being incurred in nearly all markets are puzzling to predict (short-term). Luckily CRISP for students offers crypto to students for free, with the potential to appreciate a lot.

Another great reason to have the DNotes value decoupled from the Bitcoin price.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 04:51:46 AM

That is really interesting!?

Perhaps a polite CRISP for Students e-mail proposal to one of these programs is in order? I have been in contact with my own school a bit here and there, but each e-mail I write requires some 1500 to 2000 words to communicate fully. Luckily, I'm now on school holiday for two weeks - time to pick up some of those DCEBrief.com topics. Alternatively, perhaps a LinkedIN approach directly by DYNA could have a large impact.

It is annoying watching the crypto volatility as we have seen this last week or two, for me it is not because of personal loss in 'wealth', because I view future appreciation in the longer term as a certainty, but because it makes it a little more difficult to sell the idea of crypto to people after having week after week of boom/bust/repeat. This is not unlike what we have seen in US / Chinese markets recently though, the uncertainty and losses being incurred in nearly all markets are puzzling to predict (short-term). Luckily CRISP for students offers crypto to students for free, with the potential to appreciate a lot.

Another great reason to have the DNotes value decoupled from the Bitcoin price.

Hi TeeGee. We missed you. Good to see you back here. I will try to contact the professor at Stanford and may even write an article along those line to be posted on LinkedIn.

Hopefully the price of DNotes will stabilize soon.
Pages: « 1 ... 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 [346] 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: