Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:37:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 ... 318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AEON: Scalable, private, mobile-friendly cryptocurrency  (Read 625091 times)
Phantas

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 11:59:05 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2017, 05:16:04 PM by Phantas

1. Yes I'm still here.

2. The donations fund is about 450K AEON. At current market prices (which are very volatile), that's about 135 000 USD, assuming it could all be sold without crashing the market, which is unlikely. Can you pay a development team for that? No (well at least not for long). Can you pay bounties for some work? Yes, and we have done so for various things like mining and pool software. (Also offered for web site development but that was done for free.) I'm happy to offer more bounties if people step forward to do work. Failing that I'm happy to continue holding the coins in case they become worth enough to actually fund a good development effort. Will that ever happen? Who knows.

3. I'm reminded of Charlie Lee telling us a while back that LTC didn't need 'features' (at a time when coins were always trying to one up each other on features to capture market interest). He was right. Most of those coins are gone and LTC is still here (and at its own pace and in its own way is getting features too). Likewise, AEON is still here. We may not have all the features but we have a coin that works, where security and maintenance releases get made when necessary to keep it working. We have a good community. In time we will likely get our features too, at our own time and in our own way.

4. I wish any other coins (cryptonote or otherwise) the best with their projects but what they do is their business. We have our own plan and direction.

lol, really?

Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
h0g0f0g0

Activity: 295

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 12:03:56 PM

1. Yes I'm still here.

2. The donations fund is about 450K AEON. At current market prices (which are very volatile), that's about 135 000 USD, assuming it could all be sold without crashing the market, which is unlikely. Can you pay a development team for that? No (well at least not for long). Can you pay bounties for some work? Yes, and we have done so for various things like mining and pool software. (Also offered for web site development but that was done for free.) I'm happy to offer more bounties if people step forward to do work. Failing that I'm happy to continue holding the coins in case they become worth enough to actually fund a good development effort. Will that ever happen? Who knows.

3. I'm reminded of Charlie Lee telling us a while back that LTC didn't need 'features' (at a time when coins were always trying to one up each other on features to capture market interest). He was right. Most of those coins are gone and LTC is still here (and at its own pace and in its own way is getting features too). Likewise, AEON is still here. We may not have all the features but we have a coin that works, where security and maintenance releases get made when necessary to keep it working. We have a good community. In time we will likely get our features too, at our own time and in our own way.

4. I wish any other coins (cryptonote or otherwise) the best with their projects but what they do is their business. We have our own plan and direction.

Good that you're still on the radar but come on, what plan and direction we have. There hasn't been any significant improvement in maybe 2 years:

Mobile-friendly PoW and block time (released) <- would require mobile friendly miner/wallet
GUI wallet (in progress) <- let's be honest no progress at all
32-bit and ARM support (released, but requires low memory footprint below) <- reference to other enhancement
Low memory footprint (in progress) <- most important for every miner/user/exchange. No improvement since beginning
Signature trimming <- nothing
Blockchain pruning (test release available) <- feature implemented, but pretty much useless
Multisig and payment channels (instant payments) <- definitely not in place

So be honest with the community and open up the development to more people. If you are busy, involved elsewhere there are people out there that would be dedicated fulltime devs and for much less than you would (see your comment regarding funding). I believe the devs from India or Eastern Europe can deliver high quality code and maintain the coin well for much less - maybe 1BTC per month, which is like 6k AEON. It would improve the visibility and bring more people, raising the price.

I was holding a large amount of coins ages ago and got rid of it. I'm still holding some and wish all the best to this amazing little monero twin. But to me it seems like you left it alone and it sits there in the dust being overlooked.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 08:01:59 PM

Good that you're still on the radar but come on, what plan and direction we have. There hasn't been any significant improvement in maybe 2 years:

Maybe you could start by not trolling? How have I been off the radar when my last post on the thread was one week before your post?

So be honest with the community and open up the development to more people.

The development is open to anyone. Proposals can be made and if they are accepted and completed they will be paid a bounty from the donations fund. Or alternately if good work is done I may just pay out from the fund even without prior agreement (for example, this was done for the person who ported the xmr-stak miner).

If you are busy, involved elsewhere there are people out there that would be dedicated fulltime devs and for much less than you would (see your comment regarding funding). I believe the devs from India or Eastern Europe can deliver high quality code and maintain the coin well for much less - maybe 1BTC per month, which is like 6k AEON. It would improve the visibility and bring more people, raising the price.

My experience with coin development (and other open source development on a limited budget), as well as other development where that approach is more effective, does not suggest that is a good approach at this time to help AEON.

I have no doubt such an approach could be used to crank out some of the items you mentioned but then what? It does not result in a sustainable path. It works if you want to hype a clone for a little while, dump it, and then move on to the next one. This is especially endemic in the cryptonote segment, probably by the same one or two developers using different nicks.

How many coins have we seen launch with some minor gloss features, only to be abandoned once the hype fades? That isn't the way forward for AEON.

I was holding a large amount of coins ages ago and got rid of it. I'm still holding some and wish all the best to this amazing little monero twin. But to me it seems like you left it alone and it sits there in the dust being overlooked.

It sounds like you are bored and looking for more excitement. in that case hopping to the latest clone to launch may be a good strategy for you.
h0g0f0g0

Activity: 295

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 08:29:27 PM

I got your point. And you know what? Yes, I'm moving on.

It's dead Jim..
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 01:29:17 AM

The price on AEON has been going up slowly but fairly steady over the last couple of weeks. I think it's doing ok right now myself. I would really like to see a nice GUI wallet, since that would be a convenience for pretty much everyone and would help to get less technically inclined people to try it out. Other then that wallet issue I personally have no complaints with this coin.
The Cryptophilanthropist

Activity: 231
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 02:44:41 AM

To those who have not been involved here on a regular basis or spent the time to read through this threads' history, all of the recent questions regarding "development progress" have already been answered over the course of Aeon's evolution. I understand where Aeon is headed and how it will get there only because I put in the time and effort to read and participate. There is no TL;DR to be found here.

Aeon is what it is, a lightweight cryptonote which implements all of the best traits of other cryptonotes, in the end, it will win out over other networks. See http://www.aeon.cash/ for summary if you haven't. And this is not the end all be all for Aeon......

GUI wallet, lightning net, pruned chain, mobile, optional non-anonymous tx's..... why wouldn't you let others get it wrong so that you can get it right? Let it get done right...in time, so that it works right! Being first almost never means being the best, history proves this.

Understand (and I'm taking liberties here) that people like Smooth don't really have the patience to hold the hands of those that can't connect the dots and don't really care if you can't, sorry just the way it is (apologies smooth and delete this if it offends) 99.9% of you don't even know the dots are there! ....ahh that feels better....

Rant ends here: Follow, believe, or get out of the way .... but don't throw stones if you live in a glass house! Because I'd bet my last AEON that those to whom I am referring to here have no interest in the final product to come, but only in what short sighted gains can be made through poorly thought out provocations ....won't work.

Thank you Smooth for everything you have done and will do for a really cool project that I am proud to be a part of and whose success I believe in!

L8nit3-Miners Multi-Pool BTC PRT-LOG-XGTC BTC #GetMining
GdonateqfnmiJKv7mfnUcyvZHaiqxcTQS1 - XGTC DEV FUND
1G2PTf59cYsWKoZjj3i3Cv1Bb8NuNaeho2 - BTC POOL DEV
108shivad

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 02:53:05 AM

i'm w/ Him! (Cryptophilanthropist)

i pool with him, i play the patience game like him, and i watch it run now after a long time.  and i say: "u go Smooth". anyone doesn't like? let 'em eat cake!

Grin Shocked Lips sealed
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 05:52:25 AM

apologies smooth and delete this if it offends

1. You don't need to apologize for offending me if desired. Candor is welcome.

2. This is not a self-moderated thread, so I can't delete anything. See #1

Thank you for the words of support.

I'd also add to what you said the usual cliche about open source projects. This is not a company and you are not a customer. If you think something should be done then step forward and do it (or don't, but don't expect whining and entitlement to be taken seriously).

BTW, hash rate almost 2 million.
Phantas

Activity: 311

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 07:45:47 AM

may be BOTNET  ?  Roll Eyes

Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/
DonYo

Activity: 432
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 03:23:44 PM

Maybe but now I'm happy mining with the xmr-stak-amd miner on my R9 280x

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Nik4691

Activity: 352

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 03:35:43 PM

Sure. But this justifies it as the most successful cryptonote after monero  Cheesy
TARS999

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 12:32:12 PM

Hello, new member here and complete newbie in cryptocurrencies world.

I have been reading about cryptocurrencies for many years, but only now decided to start with it.

I'm completely new, I do not have wallet nor any account.

Since my PC is running 24/7 for torrents, I decided to start mining Aeon (Pentium g4560 cpu) in order to support this community and in process learn more about mining and cryptocurrencies overall.

I would appreciate few tips about Aeon if possible, i.e wallet, miner, pool tips for beginners, i.e where to start from.

In the meantime, I will be reading this topic and the rest of forum.

stoffu

Activity: 203
Merit: 166

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2017, 03:24:40 PM

I have been reading about cryptocurrencies for many years, but only now decided to start with it.

Since my PC is running 24/7 for torrents, I decided to start mining Aeon (Pentium g4560 cpu) in order to support this community and in process learn more about mining and cryptocurrencies overall.

I would appreciate few tips about Aeon if possible, i.e wallet, miner, pool tips for beginners, i.e where to start from.

I highly recommend this for CPU mining:
https://github.com/shyba/aeon-stak-cpu

Windows binary:
https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/0vu9cqiw6xogeojq/artifacts/aeon-stak-cpu.zip
thehihoguy

Activity: 497

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2017, 07:23:57 AM

There are a lot links in the subreddit of aeon: /r/Aeon/
Also here the official aeon daemon + wallet: https://github.com/aeonix/aeon/releases
The wallet + daemon combo also includes solomining.

1. download the latest release
2. start aeond (the daemon) and wait till it finished syncing and is on the newest block
3. "message appears: you are in sync with the network now, you can start simplewallet"
4. start simplewallet
5. follow the instruction on screen to create your first wallet
6. congratulation you have a wallet and are synced to the network
7. type HELP into simplewallet for further commands
https://wiki.bytecoin.org/wiki/Simplewallet_command_line_arguments_and_commands
8. if you want to solomine type into simplewallet window: start_mining [number of threads]
9. if you want to see your current hashrate type in aeond: show_hr (hide_hr to disable it again)
10. if you want to stop it type in simplewallet: stop_mining
11. once you want to close all, type "exit" into the simplewallet. this will save your wallet and close it correctly.
12. if wallet is closed, type in aeond: exit
13. aeond will save the blockchain and closes correctly

hope this helps for the start:)
for pool mining follow stoffu's link to the pool miner
TARS999

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 09:22:47 AM

Thank you very much for kind welcome and huge help.

I'm looking forward contributing to community.
yaffa01

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 11:08:32 AM

Okay, so if we're going to get Aeon relisted on Poloniex it has to have a website. Any recent progress in that area?

Many people have contacted them over the last few months--so they are aware. I ask every few weeks, just because you never know--I've also asked if someone wants to add an aeon depository on cryptokingdom as this would likely take coins off the market, as it did with XMR (currently ~1% of all monero are on crypto kingdom) and introduce a new set of investors to aeon.

I like the crypto kingdom idea for AEON

Would recommend trying to get AEON added to ShapeShift.io as I think CK is trying to integrate their API so that multiple altcoin to CK currency transactions are possible.

might be .....it will so but if ever i concern it does not seems to me.
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 05:20:11 PM

If you need a pool for mining, I can recommend these guys:

https://aeon.kryptopool.com/#getting_started

They have helpful information for getting your miner pointed at their pool correctly and I can vouch for being paid every time I mine there. Smiley
The Cryptophilanthropist

Activity: 231
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 05:33:05 PM

Regarding the stak-cpu miner; roughly what kind of increase does it get? I haven't used it yet because I didn't want to make all the lock-pages settings if it wasn't really worth the effort, I mine other coins with my rigs and was worried it might effect those miners and I would have to undo it.

Any pre and post comparisons would be appreciated, thanks Smiley

L8nit3-Miners Multi-Pool BTC PRT-LOG-XGTC BTC #GetMining
GdonateqfnmiJKv7mfnUcyvZHaiqxcTQS1 - XGTC DEV FUND
1G2PTf59cYsWKoZjj3i3Cv1Bb8NuNaeho2 - BTC POOL DEV
stoffu

Activity: 203
Merit: 166

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2017, 06:03:47 AM

They have helpful information for getting your miner pointed at their pool correctly and I can vouch for being paid every time I mine there. Smiley

Recently thehihoguy announced a new pool:
http://185.166.239.22/#

(Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Aeon/comments/6bfvz4/new_aeon_pool_in_amsterdam_available/)

Let's spread the hashrate!
thehihoguy

Activity: 497

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2017, 08:19:30 AM

Recently thehihoguy announced a new pool:
http://185.166.239.22/#

(Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Aeon/comments/6bfvz4/new_aeon_pool_in_amsterdam_available/)

Let's spread the hashrate!

Appreciate it, but I would recommend to mine on another place for today at least. I have currently an error on the pool. It run out of memory though it has 2 gb ram and 10 gb swapfile.
Error: out of memory, kill process aeond
Have to check it tonight since im at work right now. So means i can have a proper look on it only in about 8-10 h.

Yesterday the pool was still working fine and paid the miner. Now it seems stuck and doesnt pay out. Be assured though that as soon as i have access tonight, i will make sure the system pays out again or i will do it manually. The pending balance of the miner is logged and therefor im aware what is missing.
Pages: « 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 ... 318 »
  Print  

Jump to: