Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:44:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 [649] 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:02:33 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2014, 09:01:19 PM by rocks

Circle may be a game changer.  You can sign-up on your phone from anywhere and purchase your first bitcoins with your credit card within minutes.  The fact that they use mandatory 2FA (via SMS by default) also makes me feel better about recommending this service to acquaintances.  Should COIN launch this winter, then the fiat <---> bitcoin gateway infrastructure will be ripe to support another wave of adoption.  

I still maintain the impact of COIN is being grossly underestimated. The vast majority of "investment dollars" do not sit on bank accounts linked to coinbase or credit card limits linked to circle.

Instead most funds sit in brokerage accounts. During the run where I made most of my purchases, my biggest obstacle was wiring funds from my Brokerage account to my Bank account, so then I could issue a coinbase purchase. Since I see bitcoin as a core asset to hold, this was completely backwards.

COIN will link brokerage accounts to bitcoin, there is a huge amount of funds there....
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SmoothCurves

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:29:16 PM

Circle may be a game changer.  You can sign-up on your phone from anywhere and purchase your first bitcoins with your credit card within minutes.  The fact that they use mandatory 2FA (via SMS by default) also makes me feel better about recommending this service to acquaintances.  Should COIN launch this winter, then the fiat <---> bitcoin gateway infrastructure will be ripe to support another wave of adoption.  

I still maintain the impact of COIN is being grossly underestimated. The vast majority of "investment dollars" do not sit on bank accounts linked to coinbase or credit card limits linked to circle.

Instead most funds sit in brokerage accounts. During the run where I made most of my purchases, my biggest obstacle was wiring funds from by Brokerage account to my Bank account, so then I could issue a coinbase purchase. Since I see bitcoin as a core asset to hold, this was completely backwards.

COIN will link brokerage accounts to bitcoin, there is a huge amount of funds there....

Yeah, COIN will open up Bitcoin to an ocean of fiat. NASDAQ has been putting some Bitcoin friendly articles on their website. I hope to see COIN open this year but it may take until 2015 maybe around Feb?
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:52:05 PM

Instead most funds sit in brokerage accounts. During the run where I made most of my purchases, my biggest obstacle was wiring funds from by Brokerage account to my Bank account, so then I could issue a coinbase purchase. Since I see bitcoin as a core asset to hold, this was completely backwards.

Is COIN winklevoss etf? Anything that has you pay via credit card for bitcoins can have charge-back issues?
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 09:04:28 PM

Is COIN winklevoss etf? Anything that has you pay via credit card for bitcoins can have charge-back issues?

Yes, COIN is the Winklevoss ETF.

For credit card purchases through Circle, it is Circle that bears the risk of charge-back issues. Once they've transferred BTC to you, it's yours. This is why Coinbase has so many verifications in place and other issues. It's not clear to me how circle is going to mitigate charge-back challenges. In the end they might be passed onto (honest) end customers.  
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 09:24:15 PM

Instead most funds sit in brokerage accounts. During the run where I made most of my purchases, my biggest obstacle was wiring funds from my Brokerage account to my Bank account, so then I could issue a coinbase purchase. Since I see bitcoin as a core asset to hold, this was completely backwards.

there is also a huge difference in that you do not actually own bitcoins but COIN shares.

sure some institutional investors might not care. but you are then only "invested" in the Bitcoin economy and not necessarily own an actual share it in. which is perfectly fine, but still....

(I have to say I might be wrong. Could you claim your share in COIN for its equivalent in BTC? I do not think so but maybe someone can confirm.)

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 09:38:43 PM

there is also a huge difference in that you do not actually own bitcoins but COIN shares.

sure some institutional investors might not care. but you are then only "invested" in the Bitcoin economy and not necessarily own an actual share it in. which is perfectly fine, but still....

(I have to say I might be wrong. Could you claim your share in COIN for its equivalent in BTC? I do not think so but maybe someone can confirm.)

I think the shares will be used to purchase BTC so it will roughly track the price of bitcoin. This is at the owners descretion.... so you may see cases where it does not track it. Simply put if its not making money people will not buy shares... but dividends should be offered to entice people to buy shares rather than bitcoin... thats how I kind of guess it works anyway on top of my head knowing how equities work. Because its backed by a regulated exchange, many people will simply hold the shares collecting dividends rather than bitcoin because you would get value on the way up (roughly) and collect interest. For me, personally I prefer to hold bitAssets once the pegs are known to work in bitshares as this will collect me more interest and I own it in a decentralized system rather than depend on a stock exchange susceptible to the pitfals of our modern economy... can happen overnight... its a tradeoff either way.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 09:45:21 PM

Deleveraging, What Deleveraging? The 16th Geneva Report on the World Economy

http://www.voxeu.org/article/geneva-report-global-deleveraging
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 09:53:06 PM

I think the shares will be used to purchase BTC so it will roughly track the price of bitcoin. This is at the owners descretion.... so you may see cases where it does not track it. Simply put if its not making money people will not buy shares... but dividends should be offered to entice people to buy shares rather than bitcoin... thats how I kind of guess it works anyway on top of my head knowing how equities work. Because its backed by a regulated exchange, many people will simply hold the shares collecting dividends rather than bitcoin because you would get value on the way up (roughly) and collect interest. For me, personally I prefer to hold bitAssets once the pegs are known to work in bitshares as this will collect me more interest and I own it in a decentralized system rather than depend on a stock exchange susceptible to the pitfals of our modern economy... can happen overnight... its a tradeoff either way.

Some COIN supporters are of the belief that it will SET the price of bitcoin, in much the way that gold ETFs set the price of gold.
The significant differences between gold and bitcoin may run squarely counter to this belief.  Gold ETFs are useful because storage and transport of that commodity bear costs and risks higher than the ETF ownership, where the opposite is true of COIN.  I suspect that often it will influence and follow rather than lead.

There is a long thread on this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252330.msg2681929#msg2681929
I offered the OP and my chief interlocutor on that thread to do a debate on stage at one of the many Bitcoin conferences but couldn't persuade him to do so.

There will also be some opportunity for truly massive fiat manipulation of COIN due to its projected high liquidity.  In such cases it can be expected to lead price up or down as arbitraging will shift value in and out to the extent that it is trusted.

I suspect that the real time p2p bitcoin exchanges OTC, and localbitcoin and the others will have the highest prices in most cases.  As is said of gold, if you don't hold it, you don't own it.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 09:55:53 PM

COIN will work just like GLD but using bitcoins as the underlying.  If you own COIN shares all it means is that the Winklevoss ETF is holding your BTC for you in trust.  If it's cheaper to purchase bitcoins from Bitstamp than the equivalent amount of shares from COIN, then one of the "authorized participants" will simultaneously purchase a "basket" of bitcoins from Bitstamp and short a "basket" of COIN shares on the NASDAQ (giving them a positive cash balance).  They will then deliver those bitcoins to the trust (COIN) in exchange for a basket's worth of newly created shares.  They will then use these shares to close their short position with a guaranteed profit.  

This is the arbitrage mechanism that ensures the NAV of the ETF tracks the underlying.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 09:56:27 PM

Some COIN supporters are of the belief that it will SET the price of bitcoin, in much the way that gold ETFs set the price of gold.
The significant differences between gold and bitcoin may run squarely counter to this belief.  Gold ETFs are useful because storage and transport of that commodity bear costs and risks higher than the ETF ownership, where the opposite is true of COIN.  I suspect that often it will influence and follow rather than lead.

There is a long thread on this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252330.msg2681929#msg2681929
I offered the OP and my chief interlocutor on that thread to do a debate on stage at one of the many Bitcoin conferences but couldn't persuade him to do so.

There will also be some opportunity for truly massive fiat manipulation of COIN due to its projected high liquidity.  In such cases it can be expected to lead price up or down as arbitraging will shift value in and out to the extent that it is trusted.

I suspect that the real time p2p bitcoin exchanges OTC, and localbitcoin and the others will have the highest prices in most cases.  As is said of gold, if you don't hold it, you don't own it.

How the hell would you arb COIN with bitcoin? Does it accept bitcoin for shares? If it doesn't then it cant be a leading indicator unless bitcoins are directly convertible to COINS. If COIN shares are used to buy bitcoins then it may be leading indicator as far as seeing volume come into the market, but getting back out would mean selling shares thru COINS and nothing to do with bitcoin, COIN back to fiat... and winklesvoss have to sell the bitcoins they bought at a loss or a premium depending price at the end of the trading day.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 09:59:13 PM

COIN will work just like GLD but using bitcoins as the underlying.  If you own COIN shares all it means is that the Winklevoss ETF is holding your BTC for you in trust.  If it's cheaper to purchase bitcoins from Bitstamp than the equivalent amount of shares from COIN, then one of the "authorized participants" will simultaneously purchase a "basket" of bitcoins from Bitstamp and short a "basket" of COIN shares on the NASDAQ (giving them a positive cash balance).  They will then deliver those bitcoins to the trust (COIN) in exchange for a basket's worth of newly created shares.  They will then use these shares to close their short position with a guaranteed profit.  

This is the arbitrage mechanism that ensures the NAV of the ETF tracks the underlying.

I see thanks, so you can buy shares with bitcoins then. When you sell do you get bitcoins back or fiat? Is there an official statement about this?
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 10:00:58 PM

Deleveraging, What Deleveraging? The 16th Geneva Report on the World Economy

http://www.voxeu.org/article/geneva-report-global-deleveraging

There is some dark humor opportunity here.
The US is called a success for its massive QE and rewarded with a strengthening dollar leading up to the UCB decision process of whether and how to delever or leverage up with massive QE of its own.

To me it looks like a head fake.  The US has them bamboozled.  
It is a way of extending others to their breaking point before the US breaks.  Some savvy global economic politics at play.  Yum yum intoxicating QE candywine for everyone.  Who will drink who under the table remains to be seen.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:01:31 PM

I see thanks, so you can buy shares with bitcoins then. When you sell do you get bitcoins back or fiat?

Only the "authorized participants" (APs) can (they can swap in both directions: bitcoins for shares or shares for bitcoins).  But as long as there's a few competing APs, that's all that's actually required to ensure that NAV tracks the underlying (because they're all competing for a small guaranteed arbitrage profit).  

Is there an official statement about this?

Yes, it's all written up in the SEC documents the Winklevoss's filed (or just google how ETFs work in general).  

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:05:40 PM

I see thanks, so you can buy shares with bitcoins then. When you sell do you get bitcoins back or fiat? Is there an official statement about this?

Only the "authorized participants" (APs) can.  But as long as there's a few competing APs, that's all that's actually required to ensure that NAV tracks the underlying (because they're all competing for a small guaranteed arbitrage profit).  

Is there an official statement about this?

Yes, it's all written up in the SEC documents the Winklevoss's filed (or just google how ETFs work in general). 

ok cool so these APs are acting as market peg bots essentially guiding the price.. wonder if it holds long term... I guess GLD / SLV are examples of something that has been working. So we can then draw some correlation to the actual bitcoin price once massive volume steps in thru COIN, however we all know the kind of manipulation that will ensue once we are up there in the clouds!
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 10:07:37 PM

How the hell would you arb COIN with bitcoin? Does it accept bitcoin for shares? If it doesn't then it cant be a leading indicator unless bitcoins are directly convertible to COINS. If COIN shares are used to buy bitcoins then it may be leading indicator as far as seeing volume come into the market, but getting back out would mean selling shares thru COINS and nothing to do with bitcoin, COIN back to fiat... and winklesvoss have to sell the bitcoins they bought at a loss or a premium depending price at the end of the trading day.

Unless you are buying a "basket" of COIN for BTC as an AP you buy through your brokerage, so whether you can buy with BTC for us mere mortals will depend on whether your broker accepts them.  I'm not aware of any that do today.

I suspect that the CFTC will treat bitcoin purchases like they treat gold purchases wrt ETF.
So selling COIN for USD and buying bitcoin for USD may be subject to wash sale rules.

CFTC hasn't made any official statement, but one of the anticipated regulatory effects of COIN is that large BTC purchases may become reportable to the CFTC for compliance.

As to whether GLD/SLV are working, there are differences of opinion on that as well.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:08:44 PM

Peter, is this similar to the way SecondMarket will handle things?
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:12:21 PM

Sorry, but I don't know how SecondMarket handles things.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:30:11 PM

do you know the types who will be acting as AP's for COIN?  GS, JPM?
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 10:35:48 PM

It is different.  SecondMarket has a freer structure.

SecondMarket buys BTC OTC heavily discounted.  They trade on their reputation to get better rates than most exchanges, only in worst case to they buy through exchanges.

I suspect secondMarket will work to be an AP as well.

Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:42:11 PM

do you know the types who will be acting as AP's for COIN?  GS, JPM?

I just skimmed the two filings here and here and all I found was this (it says a list of the APs can be obtained from the trustee or sponsor):

However, I thought I remembered reading names of some of the possible APs many moons ago but I could be mistaken (and no I don't recall GS or JPM).  Perhaps someone else will know.

Pages: « 1 ... 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 [649] 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: