Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:02:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032138 times)
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:33:15 PM

that is best handled by a modernized gold ratio system integrated with the fiat system.

Uh isn't that what we already have?? lol

the ratio is like the spot price yo... (+~3% if you want to take delivery)
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:33:39 PM

In order for any of that to happen you really must have a banking system set up to serve a functioning economy with the use of the metal. Which is where Utah has thus far fallen short, which will relegate the use of PM's there to the role of a novelty.

there is no way today's modern economy or banking system could function with a gold standard.  you couldn't move the metal fast enough. 

centralizing it at the LBMA or Comex introduces all sorts of accounting problems.  once you have a fiat representation of the metal the very function of the gold reserve can be manipulated.

AFAIK, Nixon abandoning gold standard in 1971 was neither because we couldn't move gold fast enough,  nor because gold centralizing didn't work.
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:34:35 PM

If you do not physically control it you do not own it. If you are given something to represent the value of it you have exchanged it for that representation. Somebody else controls the actual, physical metal.

silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:37:13 PM

In order for any of that to happen you really must have a banking system set up to serve a functioning economy with the use of the metal. Which is where Utah has thus far fallen short, which will relegate the use of PM's there to the role of a novelty.

there is no way today's modern economy or banking system could function with a gold standard.  you couldn't move the metal fast enough. 

centralizing it at the LBMA or Comex introduces all sorts of accounting problems.  once you have a fiat representation of the metal the very function of the gold reserve can be manipulated.

That's right. Heavy metal is still heavy. Unless you control it physically (either in your pocket or in a vault) you can not be assured that what you are transferring is fully backed by the metal, i.e. the metal itself. Practical, daily movements will require the addition of an abstraction layer and that will be vulnerable to fractionalization. The direct transfer of value in the form of the metal itself will always be relegated to a backwater of economic functionality.

So long as there is a mechanism to take delivery expeditiously at the stated rates of exchange, then its not fractionalized.  

Fractionalization depends on the notion that everyone won't do that, and they won't unless there is a run, and there wouldn't be a run if everyone is assured that the full value of their currency in the form of the metal is at hand... It is still a house of cards that is dependent on the assurance by an external authority that things are operating as they should.

Good point, but a prudent person could just function completely with physical under such a system (pre '33 for example) and be assured that things are operating as they should for them personally.  So long as a decent chunk of the people did this, the system would be authentic.  
miscreanity
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:37:47 PM

that is best handled by a modernized gold ratio system integrated with the fiat system.

Yes, but it's officially treated as a tradeable asset, not a currency. Treating it as a currency would be very simple in practice.
silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:42:41 PM

Yes, but it's officially treated as a tradeable asset, not a currency. Treating it as a currency would be very simple in practice.

What, you want a law saying its legal tender for all debts public and private??  Go to Utah Wink  

It doesn't take long to convert paper gold/silver to fiat..  Its functionally the same as currency.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:43:04 PM

So long as there is a mechanism to take delivery expeditiously at the stated rates of exchange, then its not fractionalized.  

there is no way to take delivery of pm's on a global scale expeditiously.  that's the point.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:45:20 PM

yes, but what about THE CONSPIRACY!?!!!!
silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:49:15 PM

That's right. Heavy metal is still heavy. Unless you control it physically (either in your pocket or in a vault) you can not be assured that what you are transferring is fully backed by the metal, i.e. the metal itself. Practical, daily movements will require the addition of an abstraction layer and that will be vulnerable to fractionalization. The direct transfer of value in the form of the metal itself will always be relegated to a backwater of economic functionality.

Fractionalization depends on the notion that everyone won't do that, and they won't unless there is a run, and there wouldn't be a run if everyone is assured that the full value of their currency in the form of the metal is at hand... It is still a house of cards that is dependent on the assurance by an external authority that things are operating as they should.

Good point, but a prudent person could just function completely with physical under such a system (pre '33 for example) and be assured that things are operating as they should for them personally.  So long as a decent chunk of the people did this, the system would be authentic.  

Only, a decent chunk of people won't do this, because they cant. Just like they can't function without plastic. 

So those peeps make their beds.  The prudent ones will be protected.  

I run the plastic like crazy, they give out tons of free shit, cashback, points, bonus money for the first 500, 1000 whever you spend.  I credit card hop those bitches, get a new one every few months take the free shit, dumb ass's.  I always pay em off every month, never balance transfer...   and peeps wonder why the banks are going broke..  The next one on my list is a capital one free $100 with the first $500 spent, 1.5% cashback.  I'll take that 20% thanks.. The one I been using for the last few months.. free $200 for the first $1000 spent.. 1% cashback, 5% on select stuff, chase freedom..  I could just pay cash, but why?? when I get a 15-20% dicsount to use the plastic..
silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:51:03 PM

there is no way to take delivery of pm's on a global scale expeditiously.  that's the point.

We run out of cargo jets or sumpin??
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:52:06 PM

AFAIK, Nixon abandoning gold standard in 1971 was neither because we couldn't move gold fast enough,  nor because gold centralizing didn't work.

i disagree.  the US trading partners took the word of the US Treasury/Fed that theirs/ours gold reserves were actually present in Fort Knox (centralized).  the trading partners left them there b/c it was too inconvenient/heavy to be moving around the world on a daily basis. 

eventually the French got suspicious and called us on it.  what did we do?  DEFAULT.
miscreanity
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:55:49 PM

What, you want a law saying its legal tender for all debts public and private??  Go to Utah Wink  

It doesn't take long to convert paper gold/silver to fiat..  Its functionally the same as currency.

Too hot Smiley

It doesn't take long, but it generally can't be exchanged directly. That kills the convenience factor.
silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:58:04 PM

Only, a decent chunk of people won't do this, because they cant. Just like they can't function without plastic. 

I run the plastic like crazy, they give out tons of free shit, cashback, points, bonus money for the first 500, 1000 whever you spend.  I credit card hop those bitches, get a new one every few months take the free shit, dumb ass's.  I always pay em off every month, never balance transfer...   and peeps wonder why the banks are going broke..  The next one on my list is a capital one free $100 with the first $500 spent, 1.5% cashback.  I'll take that 20% thanks.. The one I been using for the last few months.. free $200 for the first $1000 spent.. 1% cashback, 5% on select stuff, chase freedom..  I could just pay cash, but why?? when I get a 15-20% dicsount to use the plastic..

But do you see the problem? If "those peeps" account for the mass of the economy they don't just make their own beds... It affects the whole economy... It affects you.

Ah but in a pre '33 style system their isn't constant inflation and easy money, easy credit..  Peeps won't get a zillion chances at easy credit, you screw up paying somebody back, you just won't get any credit anymore.  The users (aka "those peeps") won't affect shit, cause they won't have any credit or paper or clanking coins, they will actually have to work for a living and live within their means.  Peeps from the great depression era are savers, not users.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:58:24 PM

AV gas is pricey.  Bitcoins can be moved across the globe much cheaper.  Even dollars are cheaper to move since gold is so damn heavy.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:59:47 PM

Too hot Smiley

It doesn't take long, but it generally can't be exchanged directly. That kills the convenience factor.

No more inconvienent then writing a check or transfering money from savings to checking..
notme
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 11:00:56 PM

But do you see the problem? If "those peeps" account for the mass of the economy they don't just make their own beds... It affects the whole economy... It affects you.

Ah but in a pre '33 style system their isn't constant inflation and easy money, easy credit..  Peeps won't get a zillion chances at easy credit, you screw up paying somebody back, you just won't get any credit anymore.  The users (aka "those peeps") won't affect shit, cause they won't have any credit or paper or clanking coins, they will actually have to work for a living and live within their means.  Peeps from the great depression era are savers, not users.

And it's exactly this saver instinct the boomers exploited to rob them.  It's okay, the boomers will get what's coming now that they all need to retire at once.  Last one out's a rotten egg!

silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 11:01:07 PM

there is no way to take delivery of pm's on a global scale expeditiously.  that's the point.

Are you really going to mail in gold coins to pay your gas bill?

Is someone from Algeria really going to DHL gold to Chicago to pay the rent on their oil tanker?

lol, what you want every transaction to be in physical?  You can't have some in physical and some in paper??  Roll Eyes  and just maybe some wait for it... electronic..
notme
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 11:03:39 PM

there is no way to take delivery of pm's on a global scale expeditiously.  that's the point.

Is someone from Algeria really going to DHL gold to Chicago to pay the rent on their oil tanker?

lol, what you want every transaction to be in physical?  You can't have some in physical and some in paper??  Roll Eyes

I believe the topic was international settlements.  The problems with paper in this area have been addressed.

silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 11:05:03 PM

lol, what you want every transaction to be in physical?  You can't have some in physical and some in papar??  Roll Eyes

That's the thing though. Once you add that abstraction layer you can not prevent it from becoming fractionalized.

We been over this, of course you can, so long as a good chunk of the peeps keep the majority of their assets in physical.  It's all a matter of whether you trust the bank more, or your neighbors.. Wink
silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 11:07:25 PM

lol, what you want every transaction to be in physical?  You can't have some in physical and some in paper??  Roll Eyes

I believe the topic was international settlements.  The problems with paper in this area have been addressed.

Settle up every few weeks with cargo jets.  *shrug*  In WW2 they used boats filled with gold and silver, but its the modern age, jets will work just as well..
Pages: « 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: