Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:29:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 [855] 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 ... 1315 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][BURST] Burst | Efficient HDD Mining | New 1.2.3 Fork block 92000  (Read 2170600 times)
burstcoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 08:05:59 AM

Hmmm maybe I'm not fully understanding this. Looking at the read numbers in Resource Monitor, on the Intel setup, it's reading the drives at about 16Mb/s, there is no way it could finish the entire drive in 106s at that speed. So mining doesn't read the whole drive, just parts of it?
PoC reads 1 4096th of the data each block, or more simply 256MB / TB.

PoC2 will most likely be around 16MB / TB

BURST-QHCJ-9HB5-PTGC-5Q8J9

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BChydro

Activity: 1426
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 08:11:14 AM

Hmmm maybe I'm not fully understanding this. Looking at the read numbers in Resource Monitor, on the Intel setup, it's reading the drives at about 16Mb/s, there is no way it could finish the entire drive in 106s at that speed. So mining doesn't read the whole drive, just parts of it?

Will PoC2 be adapted to Burst or are you planning on created a completely new coin?
seasonw

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 08:18:09 AM

Mmmm... I was thinking to try mining with raspberry pi b+ to save electricity, and I don't it is possible now after reading you post above. I think that the reason why I did not see anyone mine burstcoin with raspberry pi yet...

Why don't you try, likr a proof-of-concept....?  Smiley

It would be quite interesting to know how a raspberry would do, especially as we call BURST "enegy-friendly".

I'm already planning a test Wink I'll keep ya posted.

If crowetic already planned to start the raspberry test, and since I do not have a raspberry on hand yet, then I will wait for your proof-of-concept,  Smiley
seasonw

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 08:24:53 AM

Mmmm... I was thinking to try mining with raspberry pi b+ to save electricity, and I don't it is possible now after reading you post above. I think that the reason why I did not see anyone mine burstcoin with raspberry pi yet...

It would be quite interesting to know how a raspberry would do, especially as we call BURST "enegy-friendly".

I bet that it's good for about 2.5TB of optimized Plots in roughly 35-45 seconds. A Beagle Bone Black would be interesting to see also, better RAM and CPU but still that poor little USB 2.0 bottleneck.

I look forward to seeing the results
Good-Luck

If the USB 2.0 is the main issue, then maybe we can try banana pi with sata port, or maybe look for sata module for raspberry pi...
unsoindovo
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1042

https://locktrip.com/?refId=40964

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 08:32:06 AM

hi dev!!!

can you explain in a few words,
how can ensure transaction/blockchain consistency with 1/16 of data?

and then... for the future

we will have this scenario?

1) burst --> POC
2) burts2[new coin] -->POC2

or we will have this scenario?

1) only burst with a new implementation from POC --> POC2?

thanks

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
burstcoin (OP)

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 08:52:43 AM

hi dev!!!

1) burst --> POC

thanks

PoC1 and 2 will be storing different things. PoC1 is storing a bunch of hashes which are used each block, but PoC2 will be storing nonces that meet certain conditions. PoC1 stores 64bytes / scoop / nonce, but for PoC2 only 4 bytes / scoop / nonce is needed since the nonces can be stored as 4 byte differences between them to save space.

PoC2 will be added to burst, and you'll be able to use either. At some point in the future PoC1 might have to be disabled, although that will not happen soon.

If you're interested in more in-depth details as how PoC2 will work, or why it is better, you might want to read this post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=731923.msg10222877#msg10222877

BURST-QHCJ-9HB5-PTGC-5Q8J9
unsoindovo
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 09:08:07 AM

hi dev!!!

1) burst --> POC

thanks

PoC1 and 2 will be storing different things. PoC1 is storing a bunch of hashes which are used each block, but PoC2 will be storing nonces that meet certain conditions. PoC1 stores 64bytes / scoop / nonce, but for PoC2 only 4 bytes / scoop / nonce is needed since the nonces can be stored as 4 byte differences between them to save space.

PoC2 will be added to burst, and you'll be able to use either. At some point in the future PoC1 might have to be disabled, although that will not happen soon.

If you're interested in more in-depth details as how PoC2 will work, or why it is better, you might want to read this post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=731923.msg10222877#msg10222877

Thank you for the link dev!
I'm going to read it!

Have a nice day!

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
bensam123

Activity: 423

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 09:20:11 AM

So PoC2 will lighten hardware requirements extensively? Will PoC2 require a replot?
maxpayne1256

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 09:28:46 AM

If crowetic already planned to start the raspberry test, and since I do not have a raspberry on hand yet, then I will wait for your proof-of-concept,  Smiley

I think that a raspberry pi has to low cpu-capacities for calculating those hashes. Maybe it'll work for <1TB, but not more. You also need a lot of cpu-power for the USB-Port (data transfer).
unsoindovo
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 09:38:48 AM

I think that a raspberry pi has to low cpu-capacities for calculating those hashes. Maybe it'll work for <1TB, but not more. You also need a lot of cpu-power for the USB-Port (data transfer).

i think raspberry,
here is intendend to mine.
not to plot files...

to plot file you need  high end CPU o a good GPU.
i think 280X.
but with the latest CPU [i7 haswell] plotter i can see the performance are similar...
and more...
if you use CPU plotter you can rise stagger size to optimize plot...

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
xizmax

Activity: 527

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 09:46:54 AM

So PoC2 will lighten hardware requirements extensively? Will PoC2 require a replot?

I imagine it will require a replot, since it entails a different way of storing nonces.
You did get it correctly with regards to optimizing and you should optimize your plots. Before I optimized mine you could really hear the drives seeking like mad Cheesy

Unfortunately I cannot recall now who already did raspberry pi tests in this thread. That member came to the conclusion that it is good for, at most, 8tb. IIRC he did plot on another intel machine.

BURST, your C:\urrency
Follow us on https://twitter.com/burstcoin_dev
duplan

Activity: 269
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 09:48:16 AM

What about https://wallet.burstcoin.io ?
Is it legit ?
Can it be trusted , is it safe to use ?
If I recall correctly, that is uray's online wallet project and is ok.
Wait for more confirmations though, just to be on the safe side that I am not misremembering
Wallet Version 1.5.0 ... i wouldn't use that atm, even IF password is safe.
Damn, uray is in the future Cheesy
On a more serious note, I haven't used it and haven't seen uray in a while so it is quite likely that the project is out of date
Sry, Wallet Version 1.1.5 ... fixed it.
My bad mate, it was quite obvious that you mean 1.1.5. Was just some good natured trolling that is all.

Okay , thanks for caring , I recently got aware of BURST and I am actively supporting its rapidly increasing adoption .
Uray's Project is a great idea and he should update it as soon as possible , also a cover page on the main domain with a BURST Logo is a must .

URAY is in The Future

I like that .

What are we doing in The Past ?!  Roll Eyes

The wallet application is full of features most don't know how to use ,
some could create little tutorials which show step by step how to proceed .

OSX Users could use an easy to install BURST Wallet , too . And what about BURST for Android ?

BURST is better distributed than NXT , highly undervalued , Bter , and btc38 should trade it , too !
mmmaybe

Activity: 462

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 09:51:15 AM

Neat little thing:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/189813-western-digital-unveils-worlds-first-10tb-hard-drive-helium-filled-shingled-recording

xizmax

Activity: 527

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 10:04:32 AM

What about https://wallet.burstcoin.io ?
Is it legit ?
Can it be trusted , is it safe to use ?
If I recall correctly, that is uray's online wallet project and is ok.
Wait for more confirmations though, just to be on the safe side that I am not misremembering
Wallet Version 1.5.0 ... i wouldn't use that atm, even IF password is safe.
Damn, uray is in the future Cheesy
On a more serious note, I haven't used it and haven't seen uray in a while so it is quite likely that the project is out of date
Sry, Wallet Version 1.1.5 ... fixed it.
My bad mate, it was quite obvious that you mean 1.1.5. Was just some good natured trolling that is all.

Okay , thanks for caring , I recently got aware of BURST and I am actively supporting its rapidly increasing adoption .
Uray's Project is a great idea and he should update it as soon as possible , also a cover page on the main domain with a BURST Logo is a must .

URAY is in The Future

I like that .

What are we doing in The Past ?!  Roll Eyes

The wallet application is full of features most don't know how to use ,
some could create little tutorials which show step by step how to proceed .

OSX Users could use an easy to install BURST Wallet , too . And what about BURST for Android ?

BURST is better distributed than NXT , highly undervalued , Bter , and btc38 should trade it , too !

We would all like for uray to come back, he did great work for BURST and we would like for him to continue to do so.
Website is under development, but it will be ready.

Tutorials are a good idea, while some do exist I would like to have a video tutorial for some things up. Unfortunately I am a noob when it comes to video and lack the equipment. If I manage to edumacate myself I might do them myself. Don't hold your breath about it though Cheesy

As for Android, I imagine a "web wallet" should do fine. I am unsure how easy would it be to adapt the current wallet for it.

Time to swap all your old drives for this little baby Cheesy

BURST, your C:\urrency
Follow us on https://twitter.com/burstcoin_dev
callmejack

Activity: 256

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 10:30:40 AM

I imagine it will require a replot, since it entails a different way of storing nonces.
You did get it correctly with regards to optimizing and you should optimize your plots. Before I optimized mine you could really hear the drives seeking like mad Cheesy

Unfortunately I cannot recall now who already did raspberry pi tests in this thread. That member came to the conclusion that it is good for, at most, 8tb. IIRC he did plot on another intel machine.
the banana pi should easily be able to read up to 8tb plots attached to the sata port within blocktime with the dcct miner.
my own tests showed me 3tb plots are analyzed within 90 seconds from a 4 port sata multiplier (which was quite tricky to enable in the kernel).
the bottleneck is basically the ram bus which can only handle about 500 mb/s.
however, with such a setup each tb consumes less than 3 watts (5tb wd red based calc).
so you can run a pb with about 200 banana pi, 5 network switches, custom power cables, 200 network cables and a redundant central wallet server. everything together should need about 2500 watts. the costs sum up to about 75000$.
the nice thing about this is that it scales in 5tb steps. so you can start today and add each week another 5tb or whatever you want to invest.
if you start in large scale you would have to setup a small plotting farm to fill up the drives. a single gpu can plot up to 4 drives a day and if you mod the optimizer to read from one disk and write to another you should get 3 disks a day ready to mine with.  

Yanakitu Tenatako

Activity: 328

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 10:56:02 AM

Regarding system and hardware for burst mining, we had a quiet wide conversation on burst-coin channel.
I had some issues months ago. Here are my results:

HW:
A88X motherboard
A4-7300 cpu
8Gb ram
8 x 4Tb hdd WD 7200 drives
Ubuntu 14.04

plot read time about 135 seconds.
plot files are NOT optimized.
I added 32 gb ram total, changed for couple of seconds, or not at all.
Also tried with high end A10 cpu best you can buy, still no change. Wasting time and money.
Optimizing plots - some real results. readtime went to 15 seconds less. And that was it - best I can do.
Now I have complete readout time for 32Tb of 1:55-2:00 minutes per machine.

My conclusion is that SATA controllers are some real bottlenecks (not really too bad, but faster will make real change).

Anything less than this, like using R.Pi or similar leads to nowhere.

Now I am having some real servers with 32Gb ram and dual 6-core opteron CPU-s to test... will post, but I doubt that they will make some great improvements in speed. At least not approved by price of them.

BitFinex, best trading platform ever.
Register here: https://www.bitfinex.com/?refcode=53wNhi4gTx
seasonw

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 10:59:23 AM

the banana pi should easily be able to read up to 8tb plots attached to the sata port within blocktime with the dcct miner.
my own tests showed me 3tb plots are analyzed within 90 seconds from a 4 port sata multiplier (which was quite tricky to enable in the kernel).
the bottleneck is basically the ram bus which can only handle about 500 mb/s.
however, with such a setup each tb consumes less than 3 watts (5tb wd red based calc).
so you can run a pb with about 200 banana pi, 5 network switches, custom power cables, 200 network cables and a redundant central wallet server. everything together should need about 2500 watts. the costs sum up to about 75000$.
the nice thing about this is that it scales in 5tb steps. so you can start today and add each week another 5tb or whatever you want to invest.
if you start in large scale you would have to setup a small plotting farm to fill up the drives. a single gpu can plot up to 4 drives a day and if you mod the optimizer to read from one disk and write to another you should get 3 disks a day ready to mine with.  

It might be abit costly to get wd red, wondering if wd green is possible  Tongue
seasonw

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 11:34:49 AM

Regarding system and hardware for burst mining, we had a quiet wide conversation on burst-coin channel.
I had some issues months ago. Here are my results:

HW:
A88X motherboard
A4-7300 cpu
8Gb ram
8 x 4Tb hdd WD 7200 drives
Ubuntu 14.04

plot read time about 135 seconds.
plot files are NOT optimized.
I added 32 gb ram total, changed for couple of seconds, or not at all.
Also tried with high end A10 cpu best you can buy, still no change. Wasting time and money.
Optimizing plots - some real results. readtime went to 15 seconds less. And that was it - best I can do.
Now I have complete readout time for 32Tb of 1:55-2:00 minutes per machine.

My conclusion is that SATA controllers are some real bottlenecks (not really too bad, but faster will make real change).

Anything less than this, like using R.Pi or similar leads to nowhere.

Now I am having some real servers with 32Gb ram and dual 6-core opteron CPU-s to test... will post, but I doubt that they will make some great improvements in speed. At least not approved by price of them.

Wow, thanks for your detailed report on lowend AMD computer. Maybe just like xizmax mentioned, Raspberry Pi can only with max 8TB, but just don't know what is the read time... But still, if Raspberry Pi is good for 8TB, then 4 X Raspberry Pi will be better than a lowend AMD computer in power consumption.
daWallet

Activity: 302

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 11:37:25 AM

Really interesting development going on with PoC2! After a transition time to replot it should be compatible with what we have!

Here are some statistics about Consumer HDD last year from Backblaze:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

github/dawallet   Burst Client for Win & Burstcoin.biz
smaxer

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 12:18:39 PM

Finally a working faucet is online!

Check it out: http://burstcoin.eu/faucet
Pages: « 1 ... 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 [855] 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 ... 1315 »
  Print  

Jump to: