Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:40:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312493 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 10:27:32 AM

If bitcoin crashes to 200 or below I wouldn't be surprised if Risto's friends will be interested in increasing their Monero holdings as it has a direct impact on Monero's fiat price given that Monero stays around here it is now in bitcoinwise.

At this point, Monero needs constant pumps of funds to keep the price up. However, the emission in fiat terms is so low now due to the low bitcoin price it is not impossible to even get larger amounts invested in Monero on daily basis.

There need to be an army of salesmen in XMR to put Monero to new strong and new hands prefertably (the new hands are bringing the biggest amounts of money since it is their initial investment).
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 11:26:37 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2015, 11:39:20 AM by smooth

Who was it who was speculating that with a drk price decline that we would see an xmr bump? Now drk seems to be mooning are you speculating that the inverse is true ?

Indeed the rise of DRK looks impressive.  Shocked In coinmarketcap DRK is now # 5....
However it might be just short term though...?
I do not own any DRK, but I should have bought it.
If you think XMR is the ultimate anon coin and you are a DRK bagholder, perhaps it is a good time to diversify now, right?

The rise would be more impressive if Dark-cum-Dash wasn't instamined.

The instamine beneficiaries can use their free coins like the fed prints money, to manipulate markets and pump when desired.

Are you telling me the instamined coins are actually good investment vehicles if you are able to acquire them for low price?

Well sure. First there is the tautology that if you buy something and it goes up it was a good investment. Certainly instamined coins sometimes go up, therefore they can be a good investment.

But beyond that, how everything that has been done with DRK since day one (starting with the instamine that put a huge chunk of supply int he hands of insiders), later the supply cut, then the redirection of supply to masternodes (i.e. existing holders) has been to restrict and control the supply. That is clearly going to have a positive effect on the price, all else being equal.

The downside of this is look at the risk. You are paying a 30 million USD valuation for a coin that still has near-zero adoption. Ultimately, someday, it will have to come down to adoption for any coin or it will go to zero; the crypto speculator game can only run so long. So based on that I see a whole lot more risk. Maybe you can time it right, ride it up and get out for a profit before that day of reckoning comes. If you are betting on widespread adoption then you need roughly 7x the probability of success just to break even relative to XMR. To me that seems thin.

No guarantees here, so place your bets.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 11:42:23 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2015, 11:53:40 AM by TrueCryptonaire

Who was it who was speculating that with a drk price decline that we would see an xmr bump? Now drk seems to be mooning are you speculating that the inverse is true ?

Indeed the rise of DRK looks impressive.  Shocked In coinmarketcap DRK is now # 5....
However it might be just short term though...?
I do not own any DRK, but I should have bought it.
If you think XMR is the ultimate anon coin and you are a DRK bagholder, perhaps it is a good time to diversify now, right?

The rise would be more impressive if Dark-cum-Dash wasn't instamined.

The instamine beneficiaries can use their free coins like the fed prints money, to manipulate markets and pump when desired.

Are you telling me the instamined coins are actually good investment vehicles if you are able to acquire them for low price?

Well sure. First there is the tautology that if you buy something and it goes up it was a good investment. Certainly instamined coins sometimes go up, therefore they can be a good investment.

But beyond that, how everything that has been done with DRK since day one (starting with the instamine that put a huge chunk of supply int he hands of insiders), later the supply cut, then the redirection of supply to masternodes (i.e. existing holders) has been to restrict and control the supply. That is clearly going to have a positive effect on the price, all else being equal.

The downside of this is look at the risk. You are paying a 30 million USD valuation for a coin that still has near-zero adoption. Ultimately, someday, it will have to come down to adoption for any coin or it will go to zero; the crypto speculator game can only run so long. So based on that I see a whole lot more risk. Maybe you can time it right, ride it up and get out for a profit before that day of reckoning comes. If you are betting on widespread adoption then you need roughly 7x the probability of success just to break even relative to XMR. To me that seems thin.

No guarantees here, so place your bets.

I am not a gambler. I prefer not to buy when a coin rises at this speed as DRK does.
For Monero I hope it rises more steadily but ultra-long term.
Monero needs a rising trendline that takes years instead of days/weeks/months - like bitcoin. Bitcoin used to cost 1 usd and less and still it costs 250 usd. That's 250 times gain in dollars - and all this during relatively high emission.

In my opinion, we should not give too much overhead to DRK.. After all, there might be only one altcoin in anon niche that survives.

The noobs do not care if a coin is instamined/premined etc (I guess the majority of people do not even know what these terms mean). It is important only for us - the current crypto community. When there will be masses adopting the cryptos, they will pick up the coin that is a significiant and relevant.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:05:51 PM

When there will be masses adopting the cryptos, they will pick up the coin that is a significiant and relevant.

Hasn't even happened with BTC yet. For anything like XMR, DRK, etc. this is a distant possibility at best. Of course, any/all of these can happen more quickly than expected too, but I doubt it.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 12:07:39 PM

so I realized I should sell some XMR at 100 BTC on poloniex.

I think everyone should put a sell order at that price point.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:42:00 PM

100 BTC for 1 XMR?

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 12:43:14 PM

100 BTC for 1 XMR?

yeah, why not?

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 12:45:33 PM

100 BTC for 1 XMR? What are you smoking?

Something he bought privately with confidence that it won't be linked back to him. Maybe 1,000,000 to 1 so Satoshi can relax too  Cheesy

coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:58:18 PM

100 BTC for 1 XMR?

yeah, why not?

Sounds like a good deal to me Smiley

Buy now for your retirement!

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
coincreeper

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 02:23:03 PM

After all these attacks, a suspicious site claims to accept XMR for your "needs". It seems Silkroad related (weird language though Tongue)

http://unbouncepages.com/cooltag/
EvanMon

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 02:36:38 PM

I have been seeing Monero get a lot more exposure in /r/Bitcoin lately (2-3 weeks) especially in topics relating to fungibility and privacy. Sometimes the comments are even in the positives and somewhat well received which is extremely rare for any altcoin in /r/Bitcoin. It would be like pointing out the sky is actually blue in /r/theskyisgreen and not getting down voted to hell. Makes you think maybe a few people are pausing the circlejerk and taking a look for themselves at the sky.

Examples
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zrdxz/withdrawals_halted_as_stolen_evolution_coins_make/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zq0tr/theory_we_will_likely_have_two_bitcoins/

The compelling arguements against altcoins there is usually something like "the Bitcoin network effect is too great to overcome" or "side chains will make all altcoins obsolete". You have to consider the possibility that while you are waiting around for the fix to Bitcoin (that may never happen) to build a network around there are currently functional alternatives building a network effect of their own. Who has first mover advantage in this scenario? I have a feeling Monero is getting close to an adoption tipping point as more and more people start hedging their crypto portfolio after fundamental flaws in Bitcoin and other coins start causing real world problems.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 02:50:41 PM

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 02:53:17 PM

[...]
I have a feeling Monero is getting close to an adoption tipping point as more and more people start hedging their crypto portfolio after fundamental flaws in Bitcoin and other coins start causing real world problems.

Exactly. Some people see upfront the flaws* and the real-world problems to come. (Every person who is in Monero not for pure investment but because of a good enough understanding of the tech and the social impacts is in that category).
Yet most people need the problems to happen to understand/realize/admit that something big is at stake here.

I'm seeing over and over again people dismissing bitcoin's intrinsic fungibility issues*. Today we even got Peter Todd tweeting "Want your bitcoins to be valuable? Then treat them all equally.", which is completely irrational. We can't get good enough fungibility by asking people to kindly do it, seriously...

It's reaching an ATD (all time deep - of heads in sand), until real world kicks the well-exposed asses.

* Bitcoin does not have "issues" or "flaws" per se, the issue lies in bitcoin being less fungible/private than what the average bitcoiner assumed it is.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 03:07:05 PM

I have been seeing Monero get a lot more exposure in /r/Bitcoin lately (2-3 weeks) especially in topics relating to fungibility and privacy. Sometimes the comments are even in the positives and somewhat well received which is extremely rare for any altcoin in /r/Bitcoin. It would be like pointing out the sky is actually blue in /r/theskyisgreen and not getting down voted to hell. Makes you think maybe a few people are pausing the circlejerk and taking a look for themselves at the sky.

Examples
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zrdxz/withdrawals_halted_as_stolen_evolution_coins_make/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zq0tr/theory_we_will_likely_have_two_bitcoins/

The compelling arguements against altcoins there is usually something like "the Bitcoin network effect is too great to overcome" or "side chains will make all altcoins obsolete". You have to consider the possibility that while you are waiting around for the fix to Bitcoin (that may never happen) to build a network around there are currently functional alternatives building a network effect of their own. Who has first mover advantage in this scenario? I have a feeling Monero is getting close to an adoption tipping point as more and more people start hedging their crypto portfolio after fundamental flaws in Bitcoin and other coins start causing real world problems.

I think we are so early in this game that it is really difficult to know where she will end up. It is sort of like saying "AOL has a huge advantage at this time, has the market share (market cap) and no one stands a chance. bla bla bla." I raise questions every so often here, but I am under no illusion that any of us have the answer.

To be in the Crypto game right now, is to be an early adopter. Ok, most of us (statistically) probably got in after or during one of the more recent (2 year) run-ups, but we are still early adopters. But right now, to have access to arguably the best anonymous crypto (and not even based on Bitcoin) at less than 1 USD, is a bit similar to BTC in the early days, as we don't know where this is going. Even having 100 XMR can perhaps amount to something meaningful in 3-5 years, which is when I think we will see this space pop (barring global catastrophe or such.)

The lack of "tokens" in BTC, XMR, etc. shows clearly there is more upside than most of us can imagine. Place your bets...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 03:57:26 PM

What is happening, sir?
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 04:52:01 PM

Monero has now long way to catch DRK... Usually DRK drops after this type of pump, but it drops over the previous peak (around 0.014 range will be the minimum price in the next dump with DRK if it behaves like it has behaved its history).
Imagine if Monero was still trading around 0.001-0.0011.

Soon XMR/DRK is 10, and it is not good if it stays like this for long term. I would have hoped to see DRK/XMR being 10 much more likely.  Cry
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 04:52:24 PM

this is probably about monero being in the + green on polo again.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 04:56:57 PM

What is happening, sir?

XMR/BTC is steady-ish at ~250% over the monthly low.  Buy interest is massive-ish at ~350 BTC.  Supply is low-ish at ~200k XMR.

The drooling masses (IE redditurds) are beginning to realize the necessity of privacy and fungibility.

Peter Todd is ready to ride the Monero Mustang, and when he tweets people listen.

In the process of an acrimonious rebrand, the largest privacy-oriented coin revealed itself to be a top-down corporatist operation controlled by This One Dude.

The DB is ImminentTM.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 05:07:13 PM

What is happening, sir?

XMR/BTC is steady-ish at ~250% over the monthly low.  Buy interest is massive-ish at ~350 BTC.  Supply is low-ish at ~200k XMR.

The drooling masses (IE redditurds) are beginning to realize the necessity of privacy and fungibility.

Peter Todd is ready to ride the Monero Mustang, and when he tweets people listen.

In the process of an acrimonious rebrand, the largest privacy-oriented coin revealed itself to be a top-down corporatist operation controlled by This One Dude.

The DB is ImminentTM.

Thank you encouragement, mate.
I guess I am depressed when I see what is happening on the other side of the fence. Should focus more on the trend we are having and not to compare coins too much.
After all, when one studies Monero's 1 mo. chart, it looks nice.

I have no idea who is Peter Todd, but at least he has a decent number of followers on Twitter.  Smiley
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 05:13:49 PM

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/petertodd

Basically a BTC core dev, or at least, contributor, but he's all over the place consulting various organizations in Cryptoland. He has a beautiful mind.

Quote from: CryptoCrypt.org
http://www.coindesk.com/video-core-developer-peter-todd-bitcoins-future/

Core developer Peter Todd is known for his forthright ideas on how to improve the security and stability of bitcoin, while staying true to the technology's decentralised roots.

An avid twitter user and conference regular, Todd has worked on everything from off-chain transactions and privacy-enhancing stealth addresses to '2.0' projects like Viacoin, Counterparty and coloured coins.

In this video, he discusses his first experiences with bitcoin and precursor Hashcash and I ask how centralisation, regulation and scalability might shape bitcoin's future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn6MUJLJfFc
Pages: « 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: