Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:35:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312365 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 07:53:40 AM

Are people forgetting the single large volume buys that took us to 400+? Seems weird how people are scared the price went down again.

Monero can realistically replace btc in 3 years (the most optimistic scenario).

No  Cheesy

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 08:12:38 AM

Are people forgetting the single large volume buys that took us to 400+? Seems weird how people are scared the price went down again.

No  Cheesy

I am glad that you had such a fundamental arguments backing your point.
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 08:23:03 AM

No  Cheesy

Monero is more than 3 years behind in terms of development.
Monero is probably more than 3 years behind in terms of network effects.
Monero is probably more than 3 years behind in terms of being known to the public.
Monero is more than 3 years behind in terms of amount of news sources covering it.

Monero won't replace bitcoin. Not in a long time. And if bitcoin gets replaced by a fully anon coin, chances are it won't be monero. I think monero really should carve out its own niche. There's no need to compete against bitcoin.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 08:24:38 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2015, 09:17:04 AM by vokain

^^TrueCryptonaire did say "most optimistic". A possibility where Monero passes Bitcoin is if Bitcoin fails something crucial that Monero proves to be capable of. With the road that Bitcoin paved/is paving, operators can trivially accept Monero as the market calls for it, accelerating to the 10% critical adoption point through the rest of Bitcoin's network faster than one might expect.

Offtopic edit: reflecting on writing this, I now realize why I scored higher for "perceiving" than "judging" on this Myers-Briggs test I just took again after someone mentioned the INTJ archetype on the other thread Smiley

No  Cheesy

You didn't exactly set the best example for the guy lol though at least I generally share your general sentiment Smiley
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 08:41:19 AM

No  Cheesy

Monero is probably more than 3 years behind in terms of being known to the public.
Monero is more than 3 years behind in terms of amount of news sources covering it.

Monero won't replace bitcoin. Not in a long time. And if bitcoin gets replaced by a fully anon coin, chances are it won't be monero. I think monero really should carve out its own niche. There's no need to compete against bitcoin.

Network effect is easy to achieve. Just a bullish overall trend will first attract VC money (this increases the marketcap which will help increasing even more network effect which increases the marketcap which increases even more the network effect which increases....

Development will follow pretty fast if the network effect is enough. Investors will invest in infrastructure and the development will be made in many ways.
That's how it was the case with btc. And if XMR gets bullish trend, there are for sure investors who want to invest in the bullish investment vehicle.
Nothing is 100 % sure, but this is pretty sure.

And I did not say it is a realistic scenario for Monero to reach BTC in marketcap in 3 years but it certainly is possible. Bitcoin started pretty much from nowhere and in 3 years it reached pretty decent market capitalisation - in 2011 the highest price was 32 usd and there was hardly anyone investing into Bitcoin.

Monero has the later mover advantage over bitcoin. Bitcoin have had to put a lot of resources on pioneering crypto currency, Monero on the other hand gets a set table.

3 years is on one hand a long time, on the other hand it is pretty darn short time. It's pretty hard to predict at this point how Monero adoption will go forward. Pretty much it needs some positive comments publically from people to whom the sheep listen to.

More realistic scenario for overtaking btc in marketcapwise is definetely 3+ years, but 3 years definetely is a possibility.
I am not jumping off the cliff if this will not happen.

I think it is important to keep on discussing this thing and rather aim at higher than lower.  Grin
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 08:49:27 AM

I wonder how many of the "bitcoin companies" are really just "crypto companies", and can easily pivot or add another coin to their service. I think that VCs probably have considered the slight possibility of another crypto overtaking bitcoin, and they would probably want their companies to be able to quickly adapt and become a forerunner of this new coin.

Let's make a bet. If monero reaches parity with bitcoin in 3 years, and given that it wasn't because crypto completely failed (so say the market cap of xmr > 8 billion)

Then I'll invite you to my mansion (that I haven't yet bought, of course) for a week-long feast, party 24-7. Cheesy
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 09:04:02 AM

I wonder how many of the "bitcoin companies" are really just "crypto companies", and can easily pivot or add another coin to their service. I think that VCs probably have considered the slight possibility of another crypto overtaking bitcoin, and they would probably want their companies to be able to quickly adapt and become a forerunner of this new coin.

Let's make a bet. If monero reaches parity with bitcoin in 3 years, and given that it wasn't because crypto completely failed (so say the market cap of xmr > 8 billion)

Then I'll invite you to my mansion (that I haven't yet bought, of course) for a week-long feast, party 24-7. Cheesy

We'll  be partied out before that  Tongue
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 12:45:23 PM

No  Cheesy

I think it comes down to symbols. The symbol of cash doesn't exist in the digital world outside of a monero and once Monero is recognized as the (most?) digital cash symbol, there will follow a natural demand. I think Bitcoin enjoyed this cash-symbolization briefly before everyone realized that it was just another symbol for credit--though an asset class as digital gold will most likely prove to be Bitcoin's place in an increasingly digital life.

There's a demand to replace the natural world's symbols with digital equivalencies, so these movements seem pretty natural to me--no different than replacing your physical self with an avatar on facebook or bitcointalk. On a less symbolic level, I think the need for a digital cash equivalent will be needed as the internet of things grows and privacy becomes more and more of an issue. Who wants theft drones intercepting their Amazon order because they could see the transaction on a public blockchain and make trivial calculations to figure where it was being sent from and to whom?

keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 01:49:18 PM

if downtrend is still in force, we are going sub-90

90 isn't even possible for more than a few hours, unless btc goes up a lot.  I simply have too much fiat exposure for that to happen.

The aminorex put.

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:04:58 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2015, 04:38:39 PM by pa

Some publicity for SDC: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-race-for-the-first-decentralised-silk-road-is-on

Edit: I am puzzled at the lack of attention that Monero gets from the media, even those outlets that cover other privacy-oriented crypto-currencies.
GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:26:00 PM

Smooth needs to delete crapcoin advertisements

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:54:49 PM

Smooth needs to delete crapcoin advertisements

Yeah, getting sick Of seeing that same paid for link being spammed. Anyway gave me another for the ignore list. Smiley

Offtopic edit: reflecting on writing this, I now realize why I scored higher for "perceiving" than "judging" on this Myers-Briggs test I just took again after someone mentioned the INTJ archetype on the other thread Smiley
ENTP here.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 04:13:28 PM

ENTP here.

The visionary! I'm an INTP myself Smiley though I think the previous time I took it I was INFP, but before that INTP again too.

We all have such importance in our lives Smiley
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:20:59 PM

ENTP here.

The visionary! I'm an INTP myself Smiley though I think the previous time I took it I was INFP, but before that INTP again too.

Just means I think on a larger scale and pay for it in the short run of my own life. Smiley
I don't covet material things, thats why I disdain those that do at the expense of those in real need. I only took the test once in the 90's.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:22:35 PM

ENTP here.

I thought everyone on this forum was INTJ but i guess there are a few fellow INTP's Smiley

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:28:33 PM

thats why I disdain those that do at the expense of those in real need.

A great number of the greatest advances which have lead to improvements in the lives of the poor have been done in the pursuit of a greater material things for the innovator. In ancient times if you redistributed the wealth from all the worlds kings and aristocrats evenly among the worlds poor it would have fed them for like a week and that would have been the end of it. But people (often) in the pursuit of material possession have created amazing capital goods that have transformed the world. Relatively poor africans have cell phones with access to the internet for crying out loud, and soon even the poorest will, thus equipping them with the tools to take charge of their lives, gain an education, and improve their own situations immeasurably. This is just one example, i'm sure you can come up with 100 more if you try. The people who are building the cell phones and the networks aren't doing it out of altruism, they are doing to for material possessions. This is how capitalism (not to be confused with cronyism) works, and it's a beautiful thing.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:32:35 PM

A great number of the greatest advances which have lead to improvements in the lives of the poor have been done in the pursuit of a greater material things for the innovator. In ancient times if you redistributed the wealth from all the worlds kings and aristocrats evenly among the worlds poor it would have fed them for like a week and that would have been the end of it.

This is a misnomer.

But people (often) in the pursuit of material possession have created amazing capital goods that have transformed the world. Relatively poor africans have cell phones with access to the internet for crying out loud, and soon even the poorest will, thus equipping them with the tools to take charge of their lives, gain an education, and improve their own situations immeasurably. The people who are building the cell phones and the networks aren't doing it out of altruism, they are doing to for material possessions. This is how capitalism (not to be confused with cronyism) works, its a beautiful thing.

Yup and I'm sure those that paid with their live for the Pyramids, Majesty of the Roman empire and more close to home the rail expansion would whole heartedly agree with you. It is after all a good thing to have a cell phone as a reward for the sacrifices of you ancestors.

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 04:38:38 PM

Do what thou wilt, because either way you'll learn!

"At all times sincere friends of freedom have been rare, and its triumphs have been due to minorities, that have prevailed by associating themselves with auxiliaries whose objects often differed from their own; and this association, which is always dangerous, has been sometimes disastrous, by giving to opponents just grounds of opposition, and by kindling dispute over the spoils in the hour of success. No obstacle has been so constant, or so difficult to overcome, as uncertainty and confusion touching the nature of true liberty. If hostile interests have wrought much injury, false ideas have wrought still more; and its advance is recorded in the increase of knowledge, as much as in the improvement of laws."
Lord Acton, "The History of Freedom in Antiquity", 1877

Love is the law.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:43:47 PM

A great number of the greatest advances which have lead to improvements in the lives of the poor have been done in the pursuit of a greater material things for the innovator. In ancient times if you redistributed the wealth from all the worlds kings and aristocrats evenly among the worlds poor it would have fed them for like a week and that would have been the end of it. But people (often) in the pursuit of material possession have created amazing capital goods that have transformed the world. Relatively poor africans have cell phones with access to the internet for crying out loud, and soon even the poorest will, thus equipping them with the tools to take charge of their lives, gain an education, and improve their own situations immeasurably. The people who are building the cell phones and the networks aren't doing it out of altruism, they are doing to for material possessions. This is how capitalism (not to be confused with cronyism) works, its a beautiful thing.

Yup and I'm sure those that paid with their live for the Pyramids, Majesty of the Roman empire and more close to home the rail expansion would whole heartedly agree with you. It is after all a good thing to have a cell phone as a reward for the sacrifices of you ancestors.

Sorry im not sure what this comment has to do with what we were talking about. But either way i just wanted to say that one thing, if you want to make it into a long drawn out discussion we probably should take it elsewhere.

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 04:49:48 PM

A great number of the greatest advances which have lead to improvements in the lives of the poor have been done in the pursuit of a greater material things for the innovator. In ancient times if you redistributed the wealth from all the worlds kings and aristocrats evenly among the worlds poor it would have fed them for like a week and that would have been the end of it. But people (often) in the pursuit of material possession have created amazing capital goods that have transformed the world. Relatively poor africans have cell phones with access to the internet for crying out loud, and soon even the poorest will, thus equipping them with the tools to take charge of their lives, gain an education, and improve their own situations immeasurably. The people who are building the cell phones and the networks aren't doing it out of altruism, they are doing to for material possessions. This is how capitalism (not to be confused with cronyism) works, its a beautiful thing.

Sorry im not sure what this comment has to do with what we were talking about. But either way i just wanted to say that one thing, if you want to make it into a long drawn out discussion we probably should take it elsewhere.

I was thinking the same thing and to be perfectly honest I've given up caring about humanity so it really isn't worth the effort. You should re-read your post if you don't see the correlation.

Even though I'm a Confirmed agnostic this is the way I live now after years of banging my head on a wall and paying for trying to help others. No good deed goes unpunished.

And as soon a Smooth gets here these posts will be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU&html5=1

Pages: « 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: