Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:17:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312365 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 04:38:30 PM

Judging the Poloniex sell orderbook it is actually quite easy to reach 10 % btc marketcap for Monero.
I do not want to pump but I am quite positive we will reach it.
You can buy quite large stake of Moneros for 5,000-10,000 btc.
Perhaps if if you triple that you can shake pretty many weak hands.
Just a quick reminder, 5 kbtc represents just over 1 million usd.

Ofcourse 5000 BTC will take it to new ATH's, but at this stage it's just impossible to buy so much XMR without buying up the whole orderbook more than once.

Even if you would buy so much XMR you will have bought a lot of coins at a price where noone else wants to buy, so the price will crash shortly after and you will have lost a lot of those 5000 BTC in purchasing power.

Only the weakest guys are selling at these lows.
The Monero community consists mainly of second generation crypto people. I assume they are not interested in peanuts. I tell you, selling Monero below 1 btc per coin is selling Moneros for peanuts.
To drive the price high one need a plan. First decide where you want to buy it into and then buy and then create support for that price point.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2015, 04:39:59 PM

Judging the Poloniex sell orderbook it is actually quite easy to reach 10 % btc marketcap for Monero.

You can't make conclusions like that by judging the orderbook at this moment.

Most coins aren't held on exchanges since noone wants to get goxxed, if the price would rise to let's say 0.006 a lot more XMR will pop up on the sell side.

Even under threat of being goxxed (DEA'd?  Mark Force IV'd?) there are still over 600 brave BTC on Polo chasing ~200k XMR.

Wait until everyone else realizes the XMR rocket is only going straight to the moon, and then we'll see some proper FOMO panic buying (especially when a fiat<->XMR exchange comes online).   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
hodlmybtc

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2015, 04:48:21 PM

You can't make conclusions like that by judging the orderbook at this moment.

Most coins aren't held on exchanges since noone wants to get goxxed, if the price would rise to let's say 0.006 a lot more XMR will pop up on the sell side.

Even under threat of being goxxed (DEA'd?  Mark Force IV'd?) there are still over 600 brave BTC on Polo chasing ~200k XMR.

Wait until everyone else realizes the XMR rocket is only going straight to the moon, and then we'll see some proper FOMO panic buying (especially when a fiat<->XMR exchange comes online).   Cool

Who doesn't want to get Mark Force IV'd? Grin

But yeah I'm also having some BTC/XMR on Polo for some short-term trades but most of my holdings aren't in exchanges because I don't want to get Mark Force XXXIV'd.

~200k XMR out of ~7m total supply is 2.85% of coins on Polo, which isn't a low percentage but it can and will definately go up as the price is moving up, or coins will be market sold into big buy orders as we saw 2 days ago.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 04:56:02 PM

But yeah I'm also having some BTC/XMR on Polo for some short-term trades but most of my holdings aren't in exchanges because I don't want to get Mark Force XXXIV'd.

~200k XMR out of ~7m total supply is 2.85% of coins on Polo, which isn't a low percentage but it can and will definately go up as the price is moving up, or coins will be market sold into big buy orders as we saw 2 days ago.

It depends. Keep in mind that when we started the bull trend there was 500 k xmr in sell orders. So while the price has been rising, the number of coins for sale has decreased actually.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 04:59:13 PM

It depends. Keep in mind that when we started the bull trend there was 500 k xmr in sell orders. So while the price has been rising, the number of coins for sale has decreased actually.

That is a really interesting stat. I wonder how much the liquidity (actively) has decreased and the affect that will have going forward.
T Minus...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:05:16 PM

Silver coins also don't have an appreciable economy. But if fiat, banks and Internet fail, it does not take long for such to form, because silver becomes the good with the highest score in "monetary attributes" column.

Similarly, there is no pressing need to develop an economy for an alt as long as Bitcoin is around. Also one of the attributes of money is marketcap, which for XMR is laughably small (but going into the right direction Wink )

Diversity is your friend but I am sure that you already know that. Buy silver coins and sit on them.

I am surprised that the Satoshi Clan has not forked BTC and offered up a mutant form of it to add in anonymity. Oh well. It's their loss and XMR's / our gain!

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
hodlmybtc

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2015, 05:06:43 PM

Probably because most people think in USD/BTC value, 500k xmr at the start of the bull trend was worth less than the 200k now.

Also a lot of those 500k XMR were probably in the hands of speculators, tried to make a quick buck, got in the downtrend and then decided to sell off when instead of quick money they lost money quickly.

I doubt anyone who really believes in Monero has sold a big part or all of their XMR under 0.002, or even 0.004 but 400% profit in BTC since the low is never bad ofcourse.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:07:52 PM

The oldies might have kept coins in the exchange as scarecoins, to allow for a longer accumulation period for them.

I judged during the darkest of times that if Polo steals the XMR, it's either 1) the end of the coin, so no difference how they are secured or 2) the price goes so low in the aftermath that I can buy the position back for not so big amount of money.

2 months ago, the largest XMR positions were only about $100k, which is not a big money for a strategic player.

The new players hardly have the same incentives, so the askbook becomes thinner as a result.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2015, 05:08:49 PM

Is anyone tracking/analyzing the history of buy/sell order volume?  I like to look at pretty charts.

When I hear 'Mark Force IV' I picture some kind of crappy 80s Chrysler.  Wasn't the Mark Force IV the high-end trim version of the K-Car?   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:10:53 PM

Silver coins
Diversity is your friend but I am sure that you already know that. Buy silver coins and sit on them.

The scenario when silver coins would become useful has become much lower probability. Silver price from 2011-> tells the story.

I have 10,000s of silver coins just in case  Cheesy

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
bhokor
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:33:36 PM

Some news about the gui wallet?
Anon136
Legendary

Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:34:33 PM

Silver coins

The scenario when silver coins would become useful has become much lower probability. Silver price from 2011-> tells the story.

switched most of my silver to monero.
i regret nothing Grin

this game can go on for many more years. look how they pump the usd

the rise in the value of the usd is organic i think. its a flight to liquidity by terrified emerging market economies.

as for silver, the day will come that the cryptarchy cant hold it down any longer. the longer they artificially hold down the price through naked short selling and cash settlements guaranteed by the fed the more the demand will increase and the supply decrease. as it stands right now its a bloodbath in the mining sector and demand in asia is exploding precisely because of the manipulation of prices.

crypto is fun, its a great way to move money and a powerful speculate vehicle, but its not a great way to store value. when it comes to locking in those gains in a meaningful way, its all about them ounces.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:44:53 PM

Silver coins

i regret nothing Grin

the rise in the value of the usd is organic i think. its a flight to liquidity by terrified emerging market economies.

as for silver, the day will come that the cryptarchy cant hold it down any longer. the longer they artificially hold down the price through naked short selling and cash settlements guaranteed by the fed the more the demand will increase and the supply decrease. as it stands right now its a bloodbath in the mining sector and demand in asia is exploding precisely because of the manipulation of prices.

crypto is fun, its a great way to move money and a powerful speculate vehicle, but its not a great way to store value. when it comes to locking in those gains in a meaningful way, its all about them ounces.

Why not?  

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2015, 05:46:59 PM

Polo giving good trollbox today:

luschtiha: good evening gys, whats up? xmr of course Cheesy

Is it some kind of indicator? 

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Anon136
Legendary

Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:53:18 PM

Silver coins

i regret nothing Grin

Why not? 

Basically it has to do with the drawback of consensus based systems. The advantages are obvious and oft discussed. But the drawback that is less discussed is the lack of adaptability. (this could change with a successful implementation of sidechains) This means that basically, as it stands now, when new better ideas emerge for how to build better solutions for crypto systems, all the capital has to move from one system to another. If some of the people in this thread are right about some of the things they believe, than this will happen to bitcoin when it is usurped by monero, but it will probably also happen to monero someday.

Don't get me wrong, this isnt an argument against monero, im a huge fan of the tech and the community and its potential to do great things, but something better will be invented some day. Something better will always be invented later. This is why i dont think crypto is a great savings vehicle.

Though this could all be wrong in the future if one of the inventions that makes cryptos better is a solution to how to make cryptos more adaptable.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
brg444

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:34:26 PM

Silver coins

i regret nothing Grin

Why not? 

Basically it has to do with the drawback of consensus based systems. The advantages are obvious and oft discussed. But the drawback that is less discussed is the lack of adaptability. (this could change with a successful implementation of sidechains) This means that basically, as it stands now, when new better ideas emerge for how to build better solutions for crypto systems, all the capital has to move from one system to another. If some of the people in this thread are right about some of the things they believe, than this will happen to bitcoin when it is usurped by monero, but it will probably also happen to monero someday.

Don't get me wrong, this isnt an argument against monero, im a huge fan of the tech and the community and its potential to do great things, but something better will be invented some day. Something better will always be invented later. This is why i dont think crypto is a great savings vehicle.

Though this could all be wrong in the future if one of the inventions that makes cryptos better is a solution to how to make cryptos more adaptable.

Like Bitcoin + Sidechains..?

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 07:34:31 PM

Bitcoin will die - no doubt.
However, it is a Goliath and it takes just a bit time. That being said, it most likely will not happen tomorrow and the coin will not die technologically, but the community will become simply poor and no new members are coming (why they should).
If I think very carefully, bitcoin has nothing to offer. It is very inconvenient. People get paid in dollars, why on earth they should convert those dollars to bitcoins?
The only real world use for bitcoin I could imagine is sending money from developed countries to undeveloped countries, perhaps bitcoin might save a few bucks compared to Westrn Union rates.

On the other hand, Monero offers a safe-haven for rich people since it is anonymous. Nobody can figure out your balance except Risto who knows that the largest Monero stack was worth only of 100 000 usd in the days of bottom prices.
mrkavasaki

Activity: 888

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 07:39:18 PM

However, it is a Goliath and it takes just a bit time. That being said, it most likely will not happen tomorrow and the coin will not die technologically, but the community will become simply poor and no new members are coming (why they should).
If I think very carefully, bitcoin has nothing to offer. It is very inconvenient. People get paid in dollars, why on earth they should convert those dollars to bitcoins?
The only real world use for bitcoin I could imagine is sending money from developed countries to undeveloped countries, perhaps bitcoin might save a few bucks compared to Westrn Union rates.

On the other hand, Monero offers a safe-haven for rich people since it is anonymous. Nobody can figure out your balance except Risto who knows that the largest Monero stack was worth only of 100 000 usd in the days of bottom prices.

if you think bitcoin will die, than i think monero will die to
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 07:47:20 PM

It might do this. Chances are Monero will die and it is good to remember when you are investing into XMR.
However, Monero has better odds to succeed since you can add all the needed features of bitcoin into XMR. If you want to use Monero publically, it is possible, too.
Bitcoin's last chance to get some additional air is the Wall street pump. Bitcoin needs tons of stupid money flooding into it in order to gain some value.

Therefore, I think we should not focus too much on how many bitcoins Monero costs, but how many USD.
Monero needs to stand alone and separate itself from bitcoin - otherwise it is just another altcoin. We need to make Monero the Golden Standard.  Grin

And I don't think Monero will be the ultimate crypto neither.
brg444

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 07:56:48 PM

It might do this. Chances are Monero will die and it is good to remember when you are investing into XMR.
However, Monero has better odds to succeed since you can add all the needed features of bitcoin into XMR. If you want to use Monero publically, it is possible, too.
Bitcoin's last chance to get some additional air is the Wall street pump. Bitcoin needs tons of stupid money flooding into it in order to gain some value.

Therefore, I think we should not focus too much on how many bitcoins Monero costs, but how many USD.
Monero needs to stand alone and separate itself from bitcoin - otherwise it is just another altcoin.

And I don't think Monero will be the ultimate crypto neither.

Cheesy

this is nonsense. if you believe there will always be a better crypto then there is no use investing in them other than speculation and day trading.

there is such a thing as network effect. and bitcoin's own dwarfs monero's by a couple order of magnitudes.

protocols don't need to be perfect, they just need to be good enough and all signs point to Bitcoin being good enough.

Monero is unique from most other alts in that it does present a use case that the market demands and that can not (yet?) be filled by Bitcoin but I believe it is too little too late for Monero to supplant Bitcoin on technological merits alone

Pages: « 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: