Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:49:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312393 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 11:55:29 PM

People, Joe and Jill Public, don't want cryptonote. They might go for another alt, but it will be easy to use and they will want to be able to track their money and to prove it to the authorities.

I don't know if this matters ... but if you look at the GUI interface posted in the missives I find it more user friendly than anything I've used with bitcoin/litecoin.  Admittedly it's been awhile.

Also from what I can tell I would be able to prove my transactions in/out as far as amounts are concerned. 

I personally don't see Monero ever competing with bitcoin simply for the network effect.  It actually hurts user adoption IMO for one group of people to get rich at the expense of another group of people having their currency turned into something "worthless" overnight.  (What's been going on with alts since the start of this forum). 

If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 07:41:39 AM

People, Joe and Jill Public, don't want cryptonote. They might go for another alt, but it will be easy to use and they will want to be able to track their money and to prove it to the authorities.

The same people currently participate in fiat system, which is so hellishly complicated that not 100 people in Finland could explain it for a perfect 6/6 essay. (I believe the number is much bigger for gold mining and Bitcoin mining.) Henry Ford said that it is good people don't understand it for otherwise there'd be a revolution before morning. Shame that Ford is not with us, he did not live to see the revolution we are witnessing! Smiley

The account software in XMR will do all the bookkeeping for you, just print is out for taxes. No sweat.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 11:23:33 AM

Looks like it's time for a little bull tun in next days! Just a little push is needed Grin

Middle of month is here. No push needed at this time of month usually. It will probably happen this week or beginning of next. After that will not go under 0.004 ever again.
h3speros

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 01:03:52 PM

guys help me defend 0.004! my bid is at 0.004011 and its almost eaten =D

EDIT. ...and it's gone, now we can go up

only crypto market predictions, no bullshit https://twitter.com/h3speros
Unbelive

Activity: 210

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 01:37:57 PM

Why you want to defend anything?
Just buy as low as you can and sell as high as you can.
If you expect there will be much higher after some period of time, just hold.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 02:09:54 PM

The account software in XMR will do all the bookkeeping for you, just print is out for taxes. No sweat.
There is very little reason not to use CryptoNote.  It does exactly what you want money to do.

Is "Fear of the state" supposed to be a good thing? 

There should not be fear with Monero. 
You can prove you have paid Ceasar its due.
And your competitor can not see your business.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:48:50 PM

Had an impromptu business meeting with two guys I knew but haven't had contact with for months.

As a side effect, both are now holders of Monero. One had used BTC before, the other not. The one with previous experience in crypto is thinking in taking a 5-figure XMR position soon (if he can afford 5 figures when his fiat arrives).

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 03:08:32 PM

EDIT: It's a psychology thing. They either wanted to gain more BTC (rpietila admitted this and I did so too) and/or hedge on possible BTC failure. Are you kidding me? This is expressing so little faith in Monero, if an alt has any chance to succeed it needs fanatics who aim at No1.

Please link where I have said my aim is to gain more BTC? If I read my mind correctly, it has not been my aim since summer-13.

Hedge is something I have talked about. USDXMR in my understanding would immediately gain a lot if something serious happened to Bitcoin, making it a perfect hedge.

I also believe Monero has the chance of taking over Bitcoin.

I'm not being purposely difficult, and I believe that you mean what you say, but XMR will not take over from bitcoin. Or rather, if XMR takes over from bitcoin, it will be in a drastically different crypto market, in which the potential for cryptocurrency to becme mainstream had been reduced to near zero.

All cryptocurrencies are bordering on impossible to use for 95% of people. This will improve across the board in coming years. And really, I doubt any one coin will ever be much easier to use than the others.

I don't know of many people who would want the authorities to know about their transactions. Why do most brick and mortar businesses prefer dealing in cash? Because people prefer to cheat on their taxes if they know they can easily hide their income from the authorities.
Wifizone

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 03:09:32 PM

IMO ... I do not think XMR can overtake BTC due to network effect, first mover advantage and regulation issues on the horizon making it the defacto 'mainstream crypto currency'.  

Now that said, I do think XMR once official GUI and blockchain issues are solved could gain serious adoption in niche markets along the lines of Offshore banking vs Mainstream banking in the real world.

A slow and organic growth with decent price stabilization as we are seing is vital to this outlook. I must say that I am impressed with XMR and its price stablization in the midst of the attacks and FUD that have targeted it and lets not forget the daily minting of new coins.

I would like to extend, as a large holder of XMR, a very big thank you to the devs for their great work as well to the senior members of the community for their continued 'intelligent' discussions and ongoing support. This community is definatly not your typical altcoin community and should be praised for it.

infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 03:21:03 PM

I believe the network effect at this stage of the game is overblown.
Bitcoin has a $6.2 Billion market cap, which is peanuts. And the infrastructure consists of some amateurish exchanges, several large websites, some enthusiastic nerds, and maybe a few dozen ATMs.
Wifizone

Activity: 11

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 03:44:31 PM

I think you are under estimating the infrastructure around BTC.

The legal framework around getting ANYTHING -> FIAT is much more complexe than you think, and BTC is years ahead of any altcoin. This alone is huge for BTC.

As for the ATMs, just in Canada there must be 25+, last I heard I believe there was approx 150-200 worldwide in operation.

...and let's not overlook the VC funding surrounding BTC companies. I am not saying its impossible, but nothing wrong with a solid #2-4 position in this market for XMR some day.
andrepd

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 04:44:45 PM

I can't find this info anywhere, so can anyone tell me where can I find a graph of XMR emission rate vs time? Also, how much does a high emission rate affect the ability for the price per coin to rise with the growth of XMR market cap?
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 04:53:13 PM

IMO ... I do not think XMR can overtake BTC due to network effect, first mover advantage and regulation issues on the horizon making it the defacto 'mainstream crypto currency'.  

Now that said, I do think XMR once official GUI and blockchain issues are solved could gain serious adoption in niche markets along the lines of Offshore banking vs Mainstream banking in the real world.

A slow and organic growth with decent price stabilization as we are seing is vital to this outlook. I must say that I am impressed with XMR and its price stablization in the midst of the attacks and FUD that have targeted it and lets not forget the daily minting of new coins.

I would like to extend, as a large holder of XMR, a very big thank you to the devs for their great work as well to the senior members of the community for their continued 'intelligent' discussions and ongoing support. This community is definatly not your typical altcoin community and should be praised for it.

Perhaps it won't over take Bitcoin. But it definitely has a lot going for it even now.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:49:42 PM

EDIT: It's a psychology thing. They either wanted to gain more BTC (rpietila admitted this and I did so too) and/or hedge on possible BTC failure. Are you kidding me? This is expressing so little faith in Monero, if an alt has any chance to succeed it needs fanatics who aim at No1.

Please link where I have said my aim is to gain more BTC? If I read my mind correctly, it has not been my aim since summer-13.

Hedge is something I have talked about. USDXMR in my understanding would immediately gain a lot if something serious happened to Bitcoin, making it a perfect hedge.

I also believe Monero has the chance of taking over Bitcoin.

I'm not being purposely difficult, and I believe that you mean what you say, but XMR will not take over from bitcoin. Or rather, if XMR takes over from bitcoin, it will be in a drastically different crypto market, in which the potential for cryptocurrency to becme mainstream had been reduced to near zero.

XMR over taking XBT may or may not happen. What is not the case is that XMR overtaking XBT means that end of crypto-currency, crypto-currency not becoming mainstream, or that those holding XBT will be left "holding the bag". The history of credit cards indicate the exact opposite is the case. American Express had a significant first mover advantage over VISA and MasterCard. This has not meant the end of credit cards, or credit cards not becoming mainstream. Furthermore those who invested in American Express in the early 1970s and held did very well. https://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AXP+Interactive#symbol=axp;range=my;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=;

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
h3speros

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 06:28:35 PM

Why you want to defend anything?
Just buy as low as you can and sell as high as you can.
If you expect there will be much higher after some period of time, just hold.

i was jk, i meant that now is good time to buy (a little at least)

h3speros

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 06:34:34 PM

price is stuck between trendline from 0.0051 - 0.004341 (log) and 6h ma20 and i suspect it's going to go up at least temporally, because it has stayed above 6h ma20 and action near 0.0038 seemed like bottoming process, would be nice cup and handle if we go to 0.0051 and then take little breather and then go strongly up

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 08:00:11 PM

...thinking in taking a 5-figure XMR position soon (if he can afford 5 figures when his fiat arrives).

I think it is very gentlemanly of you to share this information.  Thank you.  I would volunteer to help provide liquidity if it is lacking when the time comes.  It's always worthwhile to have more adoption.  (Although I could prefer more dispersion!)

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 08:02:35 PM

I think you are under estimating the infrastructure around BTC.

The legal framework around getting ANYTHING -> FIAT is much more complexe than you think, and BTC is years ahead of any altcoin. This alone is huge for BTC.

As for the ATMs, just in Canada there must be 25+, last I heard I believe there was approx 150-200 worldwide in operation.

...and let's not overlook the VC funding surrounding BTC companies. I am not saying its impossible, but nothing wrong with a solid #2-4 position in this market for XMR some day.

Fortunately XMR can leverage all of the work that has previously gone into BTC.  BTC is a wonderful transmission mechanism  - a bit slow, and not very discrete, but it is quite widely accepted, and easily converts with XMR, bidirectionally.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
kenji

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 09:14:30 PM

do you believe xmr can become a 1billlion dollar coin?
maybe in 1-2 years?
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 09:18:59 PM

do you believe xmr can become a 1billlion dollar coin?
maybe in 1-2 years?
it will not become 1 billion usd in 2 years.
i would bet my life on it. Something really strange should happen to whole world,  if i am wrong.

PS:
Oh i misread it, i thought one coin.
Market cap could be 1.000,000.000 USD in 2 years. I give it tiny chances for that but no way to gamble my life on  it  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: