Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:27:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 09:32:10 PM

Got a batch 2 S4 delivered today, and it killed my batch 1 S4 (no, not really but read on..)

So my batch 2 unit wouldn't work out of the box. The display was showing the IP as 127.0.0.1. After a bit of messing around, I figured the SD card was to blame and that a reflash was in order. Since bitmain doesn't offer a full image to download (why don't you, bitmain?), I had to power down my batch 1 S4, pull it's SD card, create an image from it, and flash that image to the new S4's card. Once that was done, the new batch 2 S4 worked as it should. I'm not sure why it didn't work in the first place, since bitmain had obviously tested it judging by the accumulated (very little) dust in the miner.

Now, for my B1 S4... About 30 seconds after the fans calmed down from their initial spin-up, I was treated to a smoke show like to other. A thick stream of Magic Smoke plumed out of the B1 S4's PSU for a good 10 seconds, before going out with an extremely LOUD pop. That loud pop was a short bad enough to trip the 30A 240V breaker that miner was connected to.

To add insult to injury, the event seems to have killed the on-board NIC on a PC that was connected to the same circuit, so that is also out of commission for now.

Alas, my dreams of hashing at 4TH/s went up in a plume of Magic Smoke. Hopefully bitmain will get a new PSU out to me soon, but I'm doubtful. I contacted them about replacing my PSU the day the offered replacements, but I haven't gotten an email back yet. Has anyone received their new PSU yet?

Fortunately I had another S4 to get an image from, if anyone runs into the same issue let me know and I'll upload the image.

I had the same issue with the power supply… that was over a week ago and still nothing from Bitmain… No 10 days mining credit and no word on when I will get my replacement PSU's

Very sad … I should be hashing at close to 8 THs but with one unit totally down its very depressing to see it just sit there .

That sucks, and I now feel your pain. I have no doubt that they will come through with both the replacement PSU and compensation, but a time frame or some sort of update from bitmain would be very appreciated by all affected, I'm sure.

I just fired off another email to them, I'll post if I get a reply.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 10:09:09 PM

This company's rating has been updated in the Manufacturer Trustworthiness thread.

[This message won't be monitored, discuss your concerns in the thread.]

pikachuy

Activity: 544
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 10:51:57 PM

Got a batch 2 S4 delivered today, and it killed my batch 1 S4 (no, not really but read on..)

So my batch 2 unit wouldn't work out of the box. The display was showing the IP as 127.0.0.1. After a bit of messing around, I figured the SD card was to blame and that a reflash was in order. Since bitmain doesn't offer a full image to download (why don't you, bitmain?), I had to power down my batch 1 S4, pull it's SD card, create an image from it, and flash that image to the new S4's card. Once that was done, the new batch 2 S4 worked as it should. I'm not sure why it didn't work in the first place, since bitmain had obviously tested it judging by the accumulated (very little) dust in the miner.

Now, for my B1 S4... About 30 seconds after the fans calmed down from their initial spin-up, I was treated to a smoke show like to other. A thick stream of Magic Smoke plumed out of the B1 S4's PSU for a good 10 seconds, before going out with an extremely LOUD pop. That loud pop was a short bad enough to trip the 30A 240V breaker that miner was connected to.

To add insult to injury, the event seems to have killed the on-board NIC on a PC that was connected to the same circuit, so that is also out of commission for now.

Alas, my dreams of hashing at 4TH/s went up in a plume of Magic Smoke. Hopefully bitmain will get a new PSU out to me soon, but I'm doubtful. I contacted them about replacing my PSU the day the offered replacements, but I haven't gotten an email back yet. Has anyone received their new PSU yet?

Fortunately I had another S4 to get an image from, if anyone runs into the same issue let me know and I'll upload the image.

Well, I ordered my Batch 2 S4 from a reseller and it was part of the first Batch 2 still with the defective PSU. I found this out by opening it up and noticed no barcode on the PSU. I never even attempted to power it up because I knew the PSU is defective. My replacement PSU is on the way and it is my only S4, so glad that you brought this up. I am going to take the SD card out and make a image of it before i power it up with the new PSU, incase it ever fails.

On a side note, wish they would of test the PSU better. The defective PSU had no markings on it at all, looks like some generic PSU that they used/selected that probably took shortcuts to cut cost because there's no indication of any marking that it passed quality control or something similar.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 11:28:43 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 03:13:28 AM by dogie

So my batch 2 unit wouldn't work out of the box. The display was showing the IP as 127.0.0.1. After a bit of messing around, I figured the SD card was to blame and that a reflash was in order.

To anyone else that gets this, you can usually clear it by simply pressing and holding the reset button [on the LCD].

bolehvpn

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 02:11:33 AM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 02:26:50 AM by bolehvpn

I'm rather disappointed. The compensation for those whose PSU died AFTER the announcement will not be given as per Bitmain's e-mail to me. This is pretty arbitrary. I wouldn't have minded so much if they had shipped the replacement PSUs already but to date I have not received any word of shipment. This would be the 4th day or so without mining and even if shipped today would be 5-6 days to reach me. This is very upsetting since my loss is the same regardless of when my PSU failed.

I'm not sure why it matters whether it died before the announcement or after the announcement. It's still a dead PSU not due to any fault of my own, it's still lost hashing time and there's still no word on the status of shipping out of my PSU. To address concerns of whether I was faking it just to get the compensation, I think the video I posted pretty much disproved it.

Quite upset at this and ruins what otherwise was a very nice gesture of Bitmain.

BolehVPN [Offshore, no log VPN|Accepts BTC, DASH and XEM]
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 02:28:03 AM

So my batch 2 unit wouldn't work out of the box. The display was showing the IP as 127.0.0.1. After a bit of messing around, I figured the SD card was to blame and that a reflash was in order.

To anyone else that gets this, you can clear it by simply pressing and holding the reset button [on the LCD].

That didn't work in my case, I attempted that twice. Absolutely had to reflash the SD card.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 03:12:22 AM

I'm rather disappointed. The compensation for those whose PSU died AFTER the announcement will not be given as per Bitmain's e-mail to me. This is pretty arbitrary. I wouldn't have minded so much if they had shipped the replacement PSUs already but to date I have not received any word of shipment. This would be the 4th day or so without mining and even if shipped today would be 5-6 days to reach me. This is very upsetting since my loss is the same regardless of when my PSU failed.

I'm not sure why it matters whether it died before the announcement or after the announcement. It's still a dead PSU not due to any fault of my own, it's still lost hashing time and there's still no word on the status of shipping out of my PSU. To address concerns of whether I was faking it just to get the compensation, I think the video I posted pretty much disproved it.

Quite upset at this and ruins what otherwise was a very nice gesture of Bitmain.

Can you PM me your order details, I'll get this checked.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 03:13:04 AM

To anyone else that gets this, you can usually clear it by simply pressing and holding the reset button [on the LCD].

That didn't work in my case, I attempted that twice. Absolutely had to reflash the SD card.

Fixed

bobwoods

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:00:27 AM

I received this email this morning in reply to my email with .pdf of the original order.  Has everyone got the same?

Hi Sir,

I'm sorry that we were busy communicating with the PSU supplier these days and will make unified arrangements,
The good PSUs will be shipped out to the customers in succession from today, please wait patiently.

BITMAIN

This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from BITMAIN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it! Thank you.
dlowings

Activity: 226

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 12:20:56 PM

I received this email this morning in reply to my email with .pdf of the original order.  Has everyone got the same?

Hi Sir,

I'm sorry that we were busy communicating with the PSU supplier these days and will make unified arrangements,
The good PSUs will be shipped out to the customers in succession from today, please wait patiently.

BITMAIN

This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from BITMAIN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it! Thank you.

I can't even begin to say how frustrated this makes me… I have had a bad power power supply and dead unit going on two weeks with NOTHING … No power supply , no refund of 10 mining days . and a dead s4 sitting in my rack …

yes I had a case open with bitmain providing them the pics of the burned PSU from day one…

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 01:27:57 PM

According to "Bitmain employee of the Year" dogie in his updated "no conflict of interest here" manufacturer trustworthiness guide - these are classed as "minor" problems, so obviously they are not too bothered about it. Their "please wait patiently" phrase is one of their favourites, ask any S2 owner, they've been "waiting patiently" for 9 weeks now......and still nothing  Roll Eyes

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
dlowings

Activity: 226

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 02:47:22 PM

According to "Bitmain employee of the Year" dogie in his updated "no conflict of interest here" manufacturer trustworthiness guide - these are classed as "minor" problems, so obviously they are not too bothered about it. Their "please wait patiently" phrase is one of their favourites, ask any S2 owner, they've been "waiting patiently" for 9 weeks now......and still nothing  Roll Eyes

"please wait patiently"  -   Is what they fail to understand that for every day that goes buy for me it becomes a greater risk that I will toast another PSU … The thing is, with the S4 I've noticed that if you don't reboot it every 4 or so days the hash rate stops dropping off. A warm reboot does not help … So I'm coming up on yet another period where I need to do a cold power cycle and sitting here wondering if the units are going to come back up is NOT fun… Its bad enough I have one unit totally down with zero compensation, I can't deal with having any more units out of the loop . If they run their cloud business like they run their hardware end I don't see a long future in both operations . I love the Bitmain product but the poor execution is KILLING them . Bitmain PLEASE give us a update ...

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
allcoinminer

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 03:38:30 PM

dogie is an employee of Bitmain and there is a conflict of interest in conscious or unconscious level.
So, dogie statement should be considered as Bitmain's even if he is not agreeing that there is no conflict of interest.
It's already evident in his messages.
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 03:59:36 PM

dogie is an employee of Bitmain and there is a conflict of interest in conscious or unconscious level.
So, dogie statement should be considered as Bitmain's even if he is not agreeing that there is no conflict of interest.

I would say that upgrading the Bitmain communication rating to "Great" was a "conscious" decision.....nothing like a bit of self promotion looking for a pay rise.

What a joke.

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:02:32 PM

I love the Bitmain product but the poor execution is KILLING them . Bitmain PLEASE give us a update ...
Sad and sympathetic bump Sad

<soapbox>
Lets hope they've learned lessons from the S3 and S4 launches and improve moving forward.

The S1's were a thing of beauty. Every subsequent release after that has been more problematic to the point that I have not purchased their latest S4 out of caution and learning from experience (The S3 launch completely destroyed whatever trust I had in Bitmain)

The U3's leave me scratching my head. For that matter, pricing on every single piece of Bitcoin mining hardware right now leaves me scratching my head due to lack of profitability.

If I were to buy a miner today, I'd buy it with fiat through Coinbase. Can't rationalize reinvesting my mined coins to buy new miners any more.

Given existing large scale mining operations, the thought of purchasing U3's to "help secure the network" is disingenuous IMO. The network is plenty secure without U3's. Better off buying an S3 instead if you're going to buy anything at all.

What really makes me even more sad, related to all this, is I've had to remove dogie off my Trust list Sad
</soapbox>
bobwoods

Activity: 7

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:46:00 PM

Interestingly they also get a 10/10 for communication!!
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 06:57:23 PM

Wrong thread.

jb0316

Activity: 11

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:54:26 PM

He He---no conflict of interest....nice touch.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:17:45 PM

Wrong thread.
This company's rating has been updated in the Manufacturer Trustworthiness thread.

[This message won't be monitored, discuss your concerns in the thread.]

Wrong thread.

Its hard to properly rate a company that is paying you

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
bgibso01
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 09:13:17 PM

Pool   URL   User   Status   Priority   GetWorks   Accepted   Rejected   Discarded   Stale   Diff   Diff1#   DiffA#   DiffR#   DiffS#   LSDiff   LSTime
stratum+tcp://stratum.mining.eligius.st:3334
1PEapF6rZNMkykfoJrfDSKT4Z7neGbF5ku_S4-1
Alive
0:00:13

So does this appear in line with what others are getting in terms of accepted vs. discarded?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: