Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:35:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 143 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Health and Religion  (Read 210811 times)
CoinCube (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 02:50:27 AM

For the atheist in this thread.

Here is a great little 5 minute animated video from Prager University.
It explains why you should consider believing in God even if you have doubts about his existence.

https://www.prageru.com/courses/religionphilosophy/benefits-belief

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 03:16:01 AM

If you feel that God is some form of spiderman, great. All people who describe God to themselves or to others make some mistakes in their description of Him. The Christian religions are trying to show people what God is like more clearly.

Now that you know that God exists (even though it is a Spiderman-like belief), get yourself over to a fundamental Christian church to learn more of what God is like. In addition, get into the Bible and the Bible into yourself, so that you can learn which spiderman aspects of your God-faith are incorrect.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
stats

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 10:36:05 AM

Part of the point is, however long you live in  this life, it is short compared with eternity. Get right with eternity, 'cause it is a long time to live there in a wretched, pathetic state.

In addition, if you are right with eternity, you will be a lot more comfortable and happy in this life, just for FEELING that you are right with eternity.

Cool

I do not believe in your version of the afterlife and I feel pretty darn comfortable with my eternity. Do you, knowing if you have made the wrong choice you face an eternity in your Hell?

After all, you are the one who has not followed your God's words exact;y as I have pointed out to you many times!

As I have shown you, I follow God's words exactly, because I follow them in Jesus. As God says, believing in Jesus is the thing - and really the only thing - that allows anyone to follow God's words exactly. The perfection of Jesus - the Guy Who followed God's words exactly - is applied to me through faith in Him. This means that even if I don't follow God's words exactly, I do follow them exactly in Jesus.

God says it. Jesus says it. I do it... in Jesus. You are mistaken. It is you who are not following God's words exactly.

Regarding versions of eternal life...

Nobody who didn't have a death wish for himself, would do something that might kill himself, right? So, why do people die in car accidents? Why do they die in hospitals? Why do they die in wars? Very few (if any) of these people have a death wish for themselves.

They die because they made a mistake about a benefit they expected to receive. A car accident wasn't expected. It just happened. Death in the hospital was the reverse of what was being looked for. The soldier who dies was really hoping to help his nation and other people, and to receive a little pay for doing it. None of these people wanted to die. And if they knew they were going to die, they would have done things a different way.

The point? Feeling comfortable isn't what counts. Recognizing the truth and the facts is.

You keep trying to show me how I am not following God's words. I keep showing you that I am. I have the reference that shows that I am, even though there are many references that appear to show that I am not. Who are these "not" reference for? They are for the people who do not do the thing that covers, and essentially voids, all the "not" references. They are for people like you.

You are the one who is not obeying God, simply because you do not accept Jesus salvation, the only thing that can make the despicable life of any person to be pure. When you attempt to apply disobedience of God to me, you are doing so because you are drawing from yourself. When I apply obedience of God to myself, I do so because I apply Jesus righteous obedience to myself, as God tells me. Jesus righteousness covers/removes/voids all disobedience against God's words.

I am righteous in Jesus righteousness. God said so. Apparently you are not... and God said this as well. But, you can change.

Cool

How nice.... you don't have to do anything other than have Faith in a fairy tale? Wow..... that is super cool.

Using that logic you can do whatever you like..... go against your god and just because you believe in something makes it right..... WOW.... that is amazing!

You have just acknowledged that you have references which show you not following your gods commands and in the same sentence admit that there are references which show you are not..... ironic that you only choose to follow the ones which make you feel good? It is good to see that you acknowledge your holy book is full of false comments and contradictions..... pity you still believe and want others to follow your beliefs.

I choose not to believe in fairy tales...... because they are not real!

I hope Santa brings you many wonderful presents on Christmas Day when he comes down your chimney!

You are entirely right, and you are very mistaken, as well. Here's how.

You are exactly right if you state that faith in Jesus covers all wrongdoing. And you are entirely wrong when you state that Jesus salvation is a fairy tale. History and logic of the Bible prove that Jesus salvation is the opposite of a fairy tale. Simply because you haven't examined the history, or simply because you might be illogical enough that you don't accept the history as truth, doesn't mean the history of the bible is not factual.

Faith, how do we maintain it. If we have faith in the all-pervading salvation of Jesus, we only maintain it by attempting to do what is right. This does not suggest that we actually do everything right. The doing only helps maintain our faith in Jesus. Intentionally doing wrong weakens our faith in Jesus. Doing wrong enough might destroy our faith entirely.

Yet, as long as faith is Jesus salvation is alive, all our wrongdoing is covered as though it did not exist.

Cool

but if you state and claim that god is real and whatnot, how can you have faith if you know he's there and will aid you? You don't need faith in that case.

Again? How silly can you get? Don't show us, please.

I know you exist.

I can't have much faith in anything you say.

Cool

You know he exists because i can see what he types. I have never seen your god therefore he does not exist.

We have less faith in your words than you believe. We just choose to continue discussing hoping you will be enlightened to you own faults.

Since God is a spirit, one sees God with his spirit and understanding. Obviously, you are spiritually blind, and weak in understanding.

Cool

Since god doesnt exist, you are delusional and weak in the mind.

God exists:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=737322.msg10718395#msg10718395
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1355109.msg14047133#msg14047133
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1662153.40
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1054513.msg16803380#msg16803380.

Cool

yuiyuga

Activity: 262

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 10:52:09 AM

If you feel that God is some form of spiderman, great. All people who describe God to themselves or to others make some mistakes in their description of Him. The Christian religions are trying to show people what God is like more clearly.

Now that you know that God exists (even though it is a Spiderman-like belief), get yourself over to a fundamental Christian church to learn more of what God is like. In addition, get into the Bible and the Bible into yourself, so that you can learn which spiderman aspects of your God-faith are incorrect.

Cool
Who knows what God is? I don't know and more convinced that it is not. For faith in God killed a lot of people. Religion always struggling with people who are smarter than the others and try to explain that religion is a form of slavery.
CoinCube (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 12:09:19 PM

Who knows what God is? I don't know and more convinced that it is not. For faith in God killed a lot of people. Religion always struggling with people who are smarter than the others and try to explain that religion is a form of slavery.

Yuituga what you are not understanding is the role of religion in creating and maintaining a free society.

Freedom comes from moral self-control. There is no other way to achieve and sustain it.

The short video clip below does a good job of covering this point.
https://www.prageru.com/courses/religionphilosophy/i-am-lord-your-god

ekaterina77

Activity: 255

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 12:46:30 PM

Yuituga what you are not understanding is the role of religion in creating and maintaining a free society.

Freedom comes from moral self-control. There is no other way to achieve and sustain it.

The short video clip below does a good job of covering this point.
https://www.prageru.com/courses/religionphilosophy/i-am-lord-your-god
How can a man be free if any religion teaches submission. At the beginning of the subordination of the mythical God, then religious leaders. You call that freedom?
CoinCube (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 01:48:18 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2016, 02:07:20 PM by CoinCube

How can a man be free if any religion teaches submission. At the beginning of the subordination of the mythical God, then religious leaders. You call that freedom?

We have the freedom to do what we want only because we also have the freedom to choose to do what we want.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/philoseahpher.wordpress.com/2016/03/27/the-freedom-to-restrain-of-moral-metaphysical-freedom-discipline-and-self-control/amp/
Quote from: Philoseahpher
We tend to think of freedom as the ability to do something. But we often forget that it is also the ability not to do something. Moral freedom is true freedom because it allows us to go beyond our own instinctual carnal nature to say “No” to our human desires. Without such a freedom, we would always be a slave to our natural instincts and carnal desires, choosing to do what we feel like doing whenever we feel like it... just as moral freedom is the ability to restraint ourselves from giving in to desires that are evil or not beneficial, it also bestows us with the ability to do the good that we do not desire to do. This is called self-discipline... our moral freedom allows us to transcend the resistance of our desires to engage in activities that while painful will benefit our body, mind and/or soul...

There is a very real sense in which our freedom is necessary for us to live a fulfilling human life... we have been born free agents not merely to actualize our desires but to rule over them. For it is the person who rules over his desires and inclinations who is truly free. The man who freely does whatever he pleases has allowed his desires to rule over him.

kodoll

Activity: 273

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 01:55:42 PM

Religion gives hope to sick people is that prayer may help in recovery. This is another deception of religion. Once again convinced that religion is harmful to humans and built on deception.
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 03:17:30 PM

Religion gives hope to sick people is that prayer may help in recovery. This is another deception of religion. Once again convinced that religion is harmful to humans and built on deception.

Placebo effect works. Prayer causes working placebo affect to exist at times.

God listens to prayer, and very often heals in answer to prayer, and according to His will.

Some people pray but doubt. Those are the people who often are not healed.

Time and chance affect all things. This is why prayers seem to not work at times.

Prayer always works, but not always in the way that people pray for.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Dizaster2015

Activity: 258

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 03:24:22 PM

God listens to prayer, and very often heals in answer to prayer, and according to His will.

Time and chance affect all things. This is why prayers seem to not work at times.

Cool
And what does the placebo effect religion? In addition, this effect is very limited. Cancer is not a placebo effect won't cure. How many don't use the word honey in the mouth will not be sweet
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 03:46:30 PM

Cool
And what does the placebo effect religion? In addition, this effect is very limited. Cancer is not a placebo effect won't cure. How many don't use the word honey in the mouth will not be sweet

English is not your language. I don't understand what you are saying.

Prayer works because of:
1. Placebo effect;
2. God answering prayer;
3. Coincidentally sometimes.

Prayer does not work because:
1. The people praying do not believe;
2. God has other plans;
3. Time and chance work in everything to some extent.

Cool

Aikonio

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 04:40:39 PM

Cool

Prayer works because of:
1. Placebo effect;
2. God answering prayer;

2. God has other plans;

Cool
Prayers only work when the doctor misdiagnosed. In all other cases, prayer will not help. Why do you refer to a doctor if prayer works? If prayer will not help you, it means God has other plans for you. Go to a doctor you violate the God's plans for you !
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 08:41:10 PM

Cool

Prayer works because of:
1. Placebo effect;
2. God answering prayer;

2. God has other plans;

Cool
Prayers only work when the doctor misdiagnosed.
What?! Are you saying that it is prayer that causes the doctor to misdiagnose?

In all other cases, prayer will not help.
That's not what the statistics say. In addition, there are loads of cases where praying people got well, and the doctor couldn't understand or believe it.

Why do you refer to a doctor if prayer works?
Often the prayer is that God would guide the doctor to find a solution to the patient's health problem.

If prayer will not help you, it means God has other plans for you. Go to a doctor you violate the God's plans for you !

God gave us bodies for training and strengthening. If we had strong enough spirits, we wouldn't need bodies.

God uses things of science that He created for us, to strengthen our faith in Him. Prayer is for strengthening our faith, as well. At times the doctor is there for the strengthening of faith. At other times the doctor isn't necessary. Often people don't get sick or become unhealthy in the first place, simply because their faith is strong enough that they don't have to pray special or go to the doctor special.

Cool

stats

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 12:26:04 AM

Cool

Yeah sure it does.... just ask the little altar boy who prays to your god to stop being raped by the church minister, or the starving children around the world who ask for food. What about the cancer stricken child who prays each night to your god for a cure?

No different than asking Father Christmas for a new bike at Christmas time..... only difference..... you are more likely to get the new bike.
stats

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 12:28:16 AM

Cool

Prayer works because of:
1. Placebo effect;
2. God answering prayer;

2. God has other plans;

Cool

Tim Minchin says it best:

Now I understand a prayer can work:
A particular prayer in a particular church
In a particular style with a particular stuff
And for particular problems that aren't particularly tough,
And for particular people, preferably white
And for particular senses, preferably sight
A particular prayer in a particular spot
To a particular version of a particular god

And if you get that right, he just might
Take a break from giving babies malaria
And pop down to your local area
And fix the cataracts of your mum!

CoinCube (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 01:37:43 AM

Cool
Yeah sure it does.... just ask the little altar boy who prays to your god to stop being raped by the church minister, or the starving children around the world who ask for food. What about the cancer stricken child who prays each night to your god for a cure?N
No different than asking Father Christmas for a new bike at Christmas time..... only difference..... you are more likely to get the new bike.

Committing evil in the name of God or religious evil is the worst sin one can commit.

It is so bad that it is explicitly stated in the Ten Commandments that God will not forgive it,

The Worst Sin
http://www.dennisprager.com/worst-sin/
Quote from: Dennis Prager

The worst sin is committing evil in God’s name.

How do we know?

From the third of the Ten Commandments. This is the only one of the ten that states that God will not forgive a person who violates the commandment.

What does this commandment say?

It is most commonly translated as, “Do not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. For the Lord will not hold guiltless” — meaning “will not forgive” — whoever takes His name in vain.”
Because of this translation, most people understandably think that the commandment forbids saying God’s name for no good reason. So, something like, “God, did I have a rough day at work today!” violates the third commandment.

But that interpretation presents a real problem. It would mean that whereas God could forgive the violation of any of the other commandments — dishonoring one’s parents, stealing, adultery or even committing murder — He would never forgive someone who said, “God, did I have a rough day at work today!”
Let’s be honest: That would render God and the Ten Commandments morally incomprehensible.

As it happens, however, the commandment is not the problem. The problem is the translation. The Hebrew original doesn’t say “Do not take;” it says “Do not carry.” The Hebrew literally reads, “Do not carry the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”

This is reflected in one of the most widely used new translations of the Bible, the New International Version, or NIV, which uses the word “misuse” rather than the word “take:”
“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.”
This is much closer to the original’s intent.

What does it mean to “carry” or to “misuse” God’s name? It means committing evil in God’s name.

And that God will not forgive.

Why not?

When an irreligious person commits evil, it doesn’t bring God and religion into disrepute. But when a religious person commits evil in God’s name he destroys the greatest hope for goodness on earth — belief in a God who demands goodness, and who morally judges people.

The Nazis and Communists were horrifically cruel mass murderers. But their evils only sullied their own names, not the name of God. But when religious people commit evil, especially in God’s name, they are not only committing evil, they are doing terrible damage to the name of God.

In our time, there are, unfortunately, many examples of this. The evils committed by Islamists who torture, bomb, cut throats and mass murder — all in the name of their God — do terrible damage to the name of God.

It is not coincidental that what is called the New Atheism — the immense eruption of atheist activism — followed the 9/11 attack on America by Islamist terrorists. In fact, the most frequent argument against God and religion concerns evil committed in God’s name — whether it is done in the name of Allah today or was done in the past in the name of Christ.

People who murder in the name of God not only kill their victims, they kill God, too.

That’s why the greatest sin is religious evil.

That’s what the third commandment is there to teach: Don’t carry God’s name in vain. If you do, God won’t forgive you.

You can see this commentary, animated with text and graphics, at www.prageruniversity.com. It was released, along with the other nine commandments, this month.

I wish my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy Hanukkah. And remember, just as evil in God’s name is atheism’s best friend, goodness in God’s name is theism’s best friend. So make a donation to the Salvation Army. They do immense good in God’s name. There is a red kettle at my website http://www.dennisprager.com.

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 02:41:24 AM

Cool
Yeah sure it does.... just ask the little altar boy who prays to your god to stop being raped by the church minister, or the starving children around the world who ask for food. What about the cancer stricken child who prays each night to your god for a cure?N

Committing evil in the name of God or religious evil is the worst sin one can commit.

It is so bad that it is explicitly stated in the Ten Commandments that God will not forgive it,

The Worst Sin
http://www.dennisprager.com/worst-sin/
Quote from: Dennis Prager

The worst sin is committing evil in God’s name.

How do we know?

From the third of the Ten Commandments. This is the only one of the ten that states that God will not forgive a person who violates the commandment.

What does this commandment say?

It is most commonly translated as, “Do not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. For the Lord will not hold guiltless” — meaning “will not forgive” — whoever takes His name in vain.”
Because of this translation, most people understandably think that the commandment forbids saying God’s name for no good reason. So, something like, “God, did I have a rough day at work today!” violates the third commandment.

But that interpretation presents a real problem. It would mean that whereas God could forgive the violation of any of the other commandments — dishonoring one’s parents, stealing, adultery or even committing murder — He would never forgive someone who said, “God, did I have a rough day at work today!”
Let’s be honest: That would render God and the Ten Commandments morally incomprehensible.

As it happens, however, the commandment is not the problem. The problem is the translation. The Hebrew original doesn’t say “Do not take;” it says “Do not carry.” The Hebrew literally reads, “Do not carry the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”

This is reflected in one of the most widely used new translations of the Bible, the New International Version, or NIV, which uses the word “misuse” rather than the word “take:”
“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.”
This is much closer to the original’s intent.

What does it mean to “carry” or to “misuse” God’s name? It means committing evil in God’s name.

And that God will not forgive.

Why not?

When an irreligious person commits evil, it doesn’t bring God and religion into disrepute. But when a religious person commits evil in God’s name he destroys the greatest hope for goodness on earth — belief in a God who demands goodness, and who morally judges people.

The Nazis and Communists were horrifically cruel mass murderers. But their evils only sullied their own names, not the name of God. But when religious people commit evil, especially in God’s name, they are not only committing evil, they are doing terrible damage to the name of God.

In our time, there are, unfortunately, many examples of this. The evils committed by Islamists who torture, bomb, cut throats and mass murder — all in the name of their God — do terrible damage to the name of God.

It is not coincidental that what is called the New Atheism — the immense eruption of atheist activism — followed the 9/11 attack on America by Islamist terrorists. In fact, the most frequent argument against God and religion concerns evil committed in God’s name — whether it is done in the name of Allah today or was done in the past in the name of Christ.

People who murder in the name of God not only kill their victims, they kill God, too.

That’s why the greatest sin is religious evil.

That’s what the third commandment is there to teach: Don’t carry God’s name in vain. If you do, God won’t forgive you.

You can see this commentary, animated with text and graphics, at www.prageruniversity.com. It was released, along with the other nine commandments, this month.

I wish my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy Hanukkah. And remember, just as evil in God’s name is atheism’s best friend, goodness in God’s name is theism’s best friend. So make a donation to the Salvation Army. They do immense good in God’s name. There is a red kettle at my website http://www.dennisprager.com.

However, just because certain sins are mentioned in the Scripture listed below, does this mean they are the only ones being talked about? Or might it be that they are only examples? Ezekiel chapter 18:
1 The word of the LORD came to me: 2 “What do you people mean by quoting this proverb about the land of Israel:

“ ‘The fathers eat sour grapes, and the children’s teeth are set on edge’?

3 “As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, you will no longer quote this proverb in Israel. 4 For every living soul belongs to me, the father as well as the son—both alike belong to me. The soul who sins is the one who will die.

5 “Suppose there is a righteous man who does what is just and right.
6 He does not eat at the mountain shrines or look to the idols of the house of Israel. He does not defile his neighbor’s wife or lie with a woman during her period.
7 He does not oppress anyone, but returns what he took in pledge for a loan. He does not commit robbery but gives his food to the hungry and provides clothing for the naked.
8 He does not lend at usury or take excessive interest. He withholds his hand from doing wrong and judges fairly between man and man.
9 He follows my decrees and faithfully keeps my laws. That man is righteous; he will surely live,

declares the Sovereign LORD.

10 “Suppose he has a violent son, who sheds blood or does any of these other things 11 (though the father has done none of them):

“He eats at the mountain shrines.
He defiles his neighbor’s wife.
12 He oppresses the poor and needy.
He commits robbery.
He does not return what he took in pledge.
He looks to the idols.
He does detestable things.
13 He lends at usury and takes excessive interest.

Will such a man live? He will not! Because he has done
all these detestable things, he will surely be put to death
and his blood will be on his own head.

14 “But suppose this son has a son who sees all the sins his father commits, and though he sees them, he does not do such things:
15 “He does not eat at the mountain shrines or look to the idols of the house of Israel. He does not defile his neighbor’s wife.
16 He does not oppress anyone or require a pledge for a loan. He does not commit robbery but gives his food to the hungry and provides clothing for the naked.
17 He withholds his hand from sin and takes no usury or excessive interest. He keeps my laws and follows my decrees.

He will not die for his father’s sin; he will surely live. 18 But his father will die for his own sin, because he practiced extortion, robbed his brother and did what was wrong among his people.

19 “Yet you ask, ‘Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?’ Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live. 20 The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him.

21 “But if a wicked man turns away from all the sins he has committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, he will surely live; he will not die. 22 None of the offenses he has committed will be remembered against him. Because of the righteous things he has done, he will live. 23 Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?

24 “But if a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked man does, will he live? None of the righteous things he has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness he is guilty of and because of the sins he has committed, he will die.

25 “Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ Hear, O house of Israel: Is my way unjust? Is it not your ways that are unjust? 26 If a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin, he will die for it; because of the sin he has committed he will die. 27 But if a wicked man turns away from the wickedness he has committed and does what is just and right, he will save his life. 28 Because he considers all the offenses he has committed and turns away from them, he will surely live; he will not die. 29 Yet the house of Israel says, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ Are my ways unjust, O house of Israel? Is it not your ways that are unjust?

30 “Therefore, O house of Israel, I will judge you, each one according to his ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. 31 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? 32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

Isn't the important part in Ezekiel 18 the last 3 words? And in order to live, doesn't one need to be forgiven? Anyone who doesn't have forgiveness will die in the judgment at the last day. So, there is forgiveness for all sins except the one unforgiven sin that Jesus talks about in the Gospels in the New Testament... the blasphemy against the Holy spirit.

So, what is the sin against the Holy Spirit?

Cool

CoinCube (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 03:35:50 AM

However, just because certain sins are mentioned in the Scripture listed below, does this mean they are the only ones being talked about? Or might it be that they are only examples? Ezekiel chapter 18:

30 “Therefore, O house of Israel, I will judge you, each one according to his ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. 31 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? 32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

Isn't the important part in Ezekiel 18 the last 3 words? And in order to live, doesn't one need to be forgiven? Anyone who doesn't have forgiveness will die in the judgment at the last day. So, there is forgiveness for all sins except the one unforgiven sin that Jesus talks about in the Gospels in the New Testament... the blasphemy against the Holy spirit.

Cool

The underlined question is the key one here.

In regards to what is the the sin against the Holy Spirit I am not sure I am qualified to answer that but here is someone else's answer.

What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gotquestions.org/amp/blasphemy-Holy-Spirit.html
Jesus rebuts the Pharisees with some logical arguments for why He is not casting out demons in the power of Satan (Matthew 12:25–29). Then He speaks of the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (verses 31–32).

The term blasphemy may be generally defined as “defiant irreverence.” The term can be applied to such sins as cursing God or willfully degrading things relating to God. Blasphemy is also attributing some evil to God.

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 04:41:19 AM

Cool

The underlined question is the key one here.

In regards to what is the the sin against the Holy Spirit I am not sure I am qualified to answer that but here is someone else's answer.

What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gotquestions.org/amp/blasphemy-Holy-Spirit.html
Jesus rebuts the Pharisees with some logical arguments for why He is not casting out demons in the power of Satan (Matthew 12:25–29). Then He speaks of the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: “I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come” (verses 31–32).

The term blasphemy may be generally defined as “defiant irreverence.” The term can be applied to such sins as cursing God or willfully degrading things relating to God. Blasphemy is also attributing some evil to God.

Mark 16:16:
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

We believe in God. We believe in Jesus salvation. We will be saved because of this faith. But there was probably a time in our lives that we did not believe. Somewhere along the line we came to faith.

Titus 3:4-7:
4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared,

5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior,

7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

Notice that I have the words "Holy Spirit" highlighted above. Without the Holy Spirit working faith in our hearts, we would not have it.

Now, since there was a time that we did not have faith, now that we DO have faith, there must have been a working of the Holy Spirit in our hearts. But what about someone who is so extremely strong willed that the Holy Spirit can't work faith in his heart?

Acts 7:51:
You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit!

It is the resistance against the Holy Spirit that keeps faith in Jesus salvation from being worked in the hearts of some people.

James 1:21:
Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

The point? The sin against the Holy Spirit is locked-in unbelief. It comes through people having such a strong will against God that the Holy Spirit can't work faith in their hearts.

Faith saves. Faith in the forgiveness of God, through faith in Jesus salvation, saves. The Holy Spirit works the faith in a person's heart. This is the only way a person comes to faith. If the resistance is too strong, even the Holy spirit won't be able to work faith. The result is locked-in unbelief... the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Cool

CoinCube (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 06:33:17 AM

@BADecker where I see possible fault in Dennis Prager argument is in the following.

Do not carry the name of the Lord thy God in vain. For the Lord will not hold guiltless” — meaning “will not forgive” — whoever takes His name in vain.

Not hold guiltless does not necessarily mean will not forgive. That appears to be Pragers interpretation of the wording though I do not know if it comes from him or others. Not hold guiltless could also mean that such an action is always sin as opposed to say theft where it is possible that in extreme circumstances (like stealing food to feed a starving child when no other options exist) theft may not be a sin.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 143 »
  Print  

Jump to: