Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:29:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 221 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread  (Read 438335 times)
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 02:40:21 PM

Anyone who need to find the IP address of their unit could use Nmap.

Ip is well known already:)
Besides nmap is good if you know or have an idea what you are looking for:) What about scanning whole B or A network:)

Edited my post to add router log. Much more efficient. What happen if you connect 2+ units they all get the same static IP? Smiley
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 02:57:44 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2013, 03:09:08 PM by loshia

Besides nmap is good if you know or have an idea what you are looking for:) What about scanning whole B or A network:)

Edited my post to add router log. Much more efficient. What happen if you connect 2+ units they all get the same static IP? Smiley

Any way dude:) The Ip address would be the last "issue" for us. Besides the static ip address  is assigned by default unit gets ip address via dhcp when told so:). Just use a computer with crossover cable(just in case), plug it in avalon Ethernet port and configure it Smiley

Make sure you PC LAN has STATIC address/mask assigned matching the sub net where avalon default ip is:)

You have to think about how to know when avlon stops hashing as reported here and to be able to power off/on REMOUTELY. That will be the main issue until there is a fix for it. Think about that not the ip:)
And that process shall happen automatically:). I do have solution for that (snmp managed power switch) and when avalon comes in my hands i will test it and publish it here if needed and hang issue is not fixed. Moreover that solution shall inspect avalon temp (via separate temp sensor) and it can power off the unit remotely/automatically in case of overheating:)

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2013, 03:09:48 PM

So how many avalons are mining now at what hashrate?
5 x 66 Gh/s have been confirmed, maybe 6. So optimistically 400 Gh/s. One unit had 4 instead of 3 modules, so it's a bit faster.

The bulk of the built machine have probably only shipped out after CNY and are either currently in transit or stuck at customs... hard to tell without any updates or tracking being available.

As all of the first batch #1 of 300 units will be shipped out by the end of Feb, by mid March you will notice about 20 Th/s come online. Perhaps by then it will only be background noise compared to the 50 Th/s ASICminer will release. And the 2 test machines BFL will put online :-)

Obviously this model did not work out due to CNY and shipping problems:

http://organofcorti.blogspot.be/2013/01/96-asic-choices-wwje-update.html

edit:
(I am referring to the arrival part, the update #3 of the model is indeed more realistic)

Thats not as much as i thought. So Asicminer is still the biggest with 3.6TH at the moment. But what i wonder is what Asicminer is working on. It looks like they can build 0.2TH per day and bring it online. But avalon claimed that they can prepare 12 units a day, together 0.78TH. And Avalon has to create a full standalone thing while asicminer only has to put in one board in the rack.

So what i think about is what friedcat and co are working on that takes that much time. Are they sitting with a soldering bolt at a PCB and working to get the asics on the plate or what is the timeeater? I mean they dont have the 12TH online till now and in the next days 50TH will come shipped to them because the fab was faster than they thought. I see there is a problem but i dont know what it is that is eating the time. Even though they work around the clock they claim.
I already suggested that even when they hire professional electricians the salary wouldnt be high in comparision to the mined bitcoins with the units. But i would like to know what steps they have to do now that is eating the time. Does someone know? Friedcat doesnt answer now that he is busy so much. But i still think the speed now is a problem and some solution must be found. And i dont mean that friedcat or co has to work more. They should get help. But without knowing wheres the problem no one can suggest a solution really.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
SLok

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 03:28:08 PM

Does the restart seem to fix it? (Hardware errors)

Yes.

Asic-J wrote "Avalon comes with Antec 650 watt bronze PS. It is only capable of 82% efficiency. (533 watts)." Could that be the problem causing the errors, if possible it is, have you considered trying a beefier psu in it?

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 03:28:37 PM

But avalon claimed that they can prepare 12 units a day

Highlighted, italicize, underlined, glowing key word.

Edit: not much of a glow.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 03:35:14 PM

Does the restart seem to fix it? (Hardware errors)

Yes.

Asic-J wrote "Avalon comes with Antec 650 watt bronze PS. It is only capable of 82% efficiency. (533 watts)." Could that be the problem causing the errors, if possible it is, have you considered trying a beefier psu in it?

Your calculations are wrong it is capable of 650 watt Output which means 650x 1.2 roughly 780 wats at the wall. However if the psu is crapy it might be issue also not providing enough amps and making whole system to bug because of that Smiley
there are two 12V rails up to 30 Amps. According to specs it shall be OK unless PDU board does not spread the load. If three ASIC units are powered from one 12 V rail it would be a problem, but i am sure that nghzang took care of that:)

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 04:35:37 PM

I believe you have to make the ip addresses unique.  Is the OpenWRT web interface installed on the systems?

I try to be respectful and informed.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 07:13:13 PM

I believe you have to make the ip addresses unique.  Is the OpenWRT web interface installed on the systems?

I am sorta surprised miners would have such basic networking questions!
Every machine needs unique ip.
Web interface is installed on each avalon sys.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 07:27:10 PM

I know they all need unique IP but I'm surprised they're not configured to use DHCP by default. Anyway, I'll see when my unit arrive.
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 09:09:03 PM

I know they all need unique IP but I'm surprised they're not configured to use DHCP by default. Anyway, I'll see when my unit arrive.

I downloaded a copy of OpenWRT and started it in a VirtualBox.  I configured a second VirtualBox to have a 192.168.1.x subnet & a web browser.
I was able to do a significant amount of configuration through the interface.  This includes a download of the IPv6 software.

I have not used OpenWRT before, so I am trying to gain experience .  I would like to correspond with some people who are interested in these three things:

(Avalon ASIC batch 2, OpenWRT, VirtualBox, IPv6-Hurricane Electric Tunnel)

I try to be respectful and informed.
Vicus

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 12:30:23 AM

Why they must use DHCP by default? 95% devices I saw, was configured with static address, cos users often don't have any dhcp-service running. Even more complicated hardware (for example ISP hardware) have static addresses by default... If device have dhcp client enabled by default, it have fallback option to preconfigured ip address or custom software to change ip address without any address binded.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 01:45:30 AM

Why they must use DHCP by default? 95% devices I saw, was configured with static address, cos users often don't have any dhcp-service running. Even more complicated hardware (for example ISP hardware) have static addresses by default... If device have dhcp client enabled by default, it have fallback option to preconfigured ip address or custom software to change ip address without any address binded.
Huh? What decade are you living in? Everything made for end-users today assumes a DHCP environment.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 01:47:00 AM

Why they must use DHCP by default? 95% devices I saw, was configured with static address, cos users often don't have any dhcp-service running.

Uhhhh ... which users would they be?

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:07:26 AM

Huh? What decade are you living in? Everything made for end-users today assumes a DHCP environment.

If by end user you meant someone who can barely use a router... Sure, the wan will be dhcp and lan have a static ip with dhcp.
But all other gear for people with a clue, well supposed to have a clue like a bitcoin miner, static ip is very reasonable.
No ISP gear has dhcp turned on by default like a switch, router, dslam, etc...

Ppl are making a mountain out of a molehill by worrying about this so much. Just make sure you have a cross over cable if your pc is not connected to a switch. Otherwise str8 through cable from avalon to switch. Change ip on pc, configure avalon to right ip, netmask, df gw.. Or dhcp..Then reboot it. Then change pc back to dhcp.

Now both are online...
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:17:16 AM

If by end user you meant someone who can barely use a router... Sure, the wan will be dhcp and lan have a static ip with dhcp.
But all other gear for people with a clue, well supposed to have a clue like a bitcoin miner, static ip is very reasonable.
Only because DHCP can't scale to networking.
DHCP is the routing protocol for last-hop; would you run your ISP equipment without any routing protocols?

fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:50:49 AM

DHCP is the routing protocol for last-hop; would you run your ISP equipment without any routing protocols?

Your point is true. But cant you imagine if they did use dhcp? Ppl would be saying they plugged it in but cannot figure out the ip.
Then ppl would say download nmap to do a ping scan.. And etc... Using a static ip is reasonable to me. A lot of gear comes that way. Well at least specialized gear that is.
Vicus

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:57:25 AM

Thanks fcmatt, your explanation better than my Smiley
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 06:13:46 AM

Your point is true. But cant you imagine if they did use dhcp? Ppl would be saying they plugged it in but cannot figure out the ip.
Then ppl would say download nmap to do a ping scan.. And etc... Using a static ip is reasonable to me. A lot of gear comes that way. Well at least specialized gear that is.
You make a good point, but at least it can be accessed on a normal network this way.
And I suspect most home routers come with a handy interface to view the DHCP lease table along with hostnames of each machine.
Now if only they more consistently ran a local DNS server like mine does (I can just ping nameofdeviceIjustpluggedin), it'd be perfect.. Wink

Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 11:04:39 PM

So how many avalons are mining now at what hashrate?
5 x 66 Gh/s have been confirmed, maybe 6. So optimistically 400 Gh/s. One unit had 4 instead of 3 modules, so it's a bit faster.

The bulk of the built machine have probably only shipped out after CNY and are either currently in transit or stuck at customs... hard to tell without any updates or tracking being available.

As all of the first batch #1 of 300 units will be shipped out by the end of Feb, by mid March you will notice about 20 Th/s come online. Perhaps by then it will only be background noise compared to the 50 Th/s ASICminer will release. And the 2 test machines BFL will put online :-)

Obviously this model did not work out due to CNY and shipping problems:

http://organofcorti.blogspot.be/2013/01/96-asic-choices-wwje-update.html

edit:
(I am referring to the arrival part, the update #3 of the model is indeed more realistic)

Thats not as much as i thought. So Asicminer is still the biggest with 3.6TH at the moment. But what i wonder is what Asicminer is working on. It looks like they can build 0.2TH per day and bring it online. But avalon claimed that they can prepare 12 units a day, together 0.78TH. And Avalon has to create a full standalone thing while asicminer only has to put in one board in the rack.

So what i think about is what friedcat and co are working on that takes that much time. Are they sitting with a soldering bolt at a PCB and working to get the asics on the plate or what is the timeeater? I mean they dont have the 12TH online till now and in the next days 50TH will come shipped to them because the fab was faster than they thought. I see there is a problem but i dont know what it is that is eating the time. Even though they work around the clock they claim.
I already suggested that even when they hire professional electricians the salary wouldnt be high in comparision to the mined bitcoins with the units. But i would like to know what steps they have to do now that is eating the time. Does someone know? Friedcat doesnt answer now that he is busy so much. But i still think the speed now is a problem and some solution must be found. And i dont mean that friedcat or co has to work more. They should get help. But without knowing wheres the problem no one can suggest a solution really.

Is there any way to tell if they arent setting up their own separate mining farm on the side ?

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 12:30:37 AM

Is there any way to tell if they arent setting up their own separate mining farm on the side ?

I doubt there is a way. But i wouldnt have invested in friedcat if i would have seen some signs of low character or similar. So i trust them at this point. I think they really work hard... but cant handle the much work on its own.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 221 »
  Print  

Jump to: