Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:34:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 221 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread  (Read 438333 times)
Mills00013

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:19:10 PM

So I'm having an issue with hardware errors on one of my two asics. Both machines run equally most of the time, but last night and this morning the second device has stopped hashing suddenly and unexpectedly. When it stops hashing, the temperature monitor shows it skyrocketing (pass 100) and the fans at 3000. Hardware errors start climbing to the hundreds of thousands. Configuration wise, the machines are identical. Has anyone else experienced this?

A restart of the system gets it hashing again and as soon as it's restarted, the temp is reported back down at a more manageable 43-44. It goes right back to hashing like it should. I do not know what happens if I just restart cgminer and not the whole machine. If this fixes it, I might just set a cron job to do it for me every hour. I'll post a screenshot if it happens again.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
WinTame2012

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

Official sponsor of Microsoft Corp.

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 06:28:48 PM

Flash again or flash back ?
I have flashed again -> no go (same error)
and then
flashed back -> it`s ok now
Have you followed this guidance after firmware upgrade?

If you "check the Keep settings", you need fill API Allow to "W:127.0.0.1" after reflash, "DO NOT" left it blank
If you "uncheck the Keep settings" when reflashing, Please "reconfigure your Avalon" after reflash
It is from here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#20130321

May the WinTame Power be with you!
http://wintame.com
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:15:08 PM

Have you followed this guidance after firmware upgrade?

If you "check the Keep settings", you need fill API Allow to "W:127.0.0.1" after reflash, "DO NOT" left it blank
If you "uncheck the Keep settings" when reflashing, Please "reconfigure your Avalon" after reflash
It is from here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#20130321

This should only affect the web interface to access the data from the api to generate the "Cgminer API Log" tab

In case you are wondering, you can just log into the avalon as root with ssh and edit

Code:
/etc/config/cgminer

and add a line at the end that says:

Code:
	option api_allow 'W:127.0.0.1'

But in general it should not affect the running of cgminer, just the monitoring
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:34:01 PM

Would i be safe in assuming the 2nd batch will already have this upgrade?
Probably yes but there are going to be other updates to the system by the time you get your batch #2 machine in April. So you'll have to upgrade to the latest release then....
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:51:33 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2013, 02:10:21 PM by loshia

Guy's

Here are my impressions so far:

As you can see HW error spikes caused restarts (no shares accepted for last 3 minutes). However the last restart (Friday two hours ago watch HW error rate graph breakage) was not due to HW error spikes.

I hope i will have my wr703 spare received soon. I will upgrade RAM + FLASH and build custom 8M image with latest avalon cgminer.

I will continue to post the results but for now i can say that reboots are happening at 24 hours intervals at average with hw error rate about 2.4% which makes me extremely happy with steady 70000+ Mhs speed when mining and up time 99.99+% Wink
PS i am not running latest FW - no time to go home for upgrade and as long as it working good i am not touching it for the moment:)
And I am using power off on for restart automation of course. None of the graphed restarts were caused for other reason except power off/on

As you can see all restarts happened when there were spikes in FANS RPM up/down. Which makes me wonder if controller went crazy Huh

Ngzhang,
Does the Avalon controller have Firmware itself?
If yes are you going to publish it somewhere if we need to upgrade it in the feature?

10X!

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 03:13:20 PM

Is that $5000+ price definitive?

Looks like a bit of a radical hike to me. But I will believe they would set that price when I see it, to be honest.

Also, I'd have to pay VAT on top of that. I think I'd pass.

$1600 and I'm in.

Good luck to everybody.

I thought the maker of the Avalon was in it to protect the network and add to the community, not in it for the money alone. If indeed one unit that is 60-65GH/s cost $5000 and the previous price was $1400, then I'd say greed has now come into the picture here. Usually prices are supposed to go down because you can make newer units more efficiently and make less mistakes from the first ones.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
luffy

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:06:20 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2013, 04:55:37 PM by luffy

the laws of the market dictates the increase in price. It is only natural since you don't have rivals Smiley

BTW: the new firmware is working great with new features and more easy OC Wink
but i see a flaw, cgminer status reports faulty statistic values.
for example, the accepted shares reported after 10 minutes were 190 shares!!!! (utility 19) not possible.
the pool at the same time reported thousant of shares (i din't get the exact number though)

another problem:
i disable cgminer from startup in order to start my own cgminer command after reboot. But after reboot,
 both cgminer instances are running!
xiangfu

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:59:40 PM

Hi ewibit

If you reproduce the bug with latest firmware? please send us some log for debug. [edit /etc/init.d/cgminer, remove the -q, add -D --verbose]. you need redirect the log to /tmp/, or use a ssh session for record the large log (> 32MB)

Thanks for report bug.
Xiangfu

Flash again or flash back ?

Beijing time... 23:29:43 CST
cat /etc/avalon_version
cgminer-7c1428a
luci-46afd4a
openwrt-package-10ee304

3016     1 root     S    20872  71%   6% cgminer --avalon-options 115200:24:10

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thorvald

Activity: 388

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:15:16 PM

if you start in ssh the cgminer in debug mode , the statistics will also show in the web interface
you can replicate it in that way
i`ve tried with the version of firmware from the date 20.3
the max work was about 0.9G

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▀  ███▄
████████████▀▀    ▀▀███▀  ▄█████
██████████▀         ██▀  ▄████████
█████████▀      ▄▄▄▄██▀  ▄██████████
████████     ▄██████▀  ▄██  ████████
████████     ███████▀  ▄██    ████████
████████    ██████▀  ▄████    ████████
████████    █████▀  ▄█████    ████████
████████    ███▀  ▄██████     ████████
████████  ███▀  ▄█████▀     ████████
███████████▀  ▄█▀▀▀▀      ▄█████████
█████████▀  ▄█         ▄██████████
██████▀  ▄██▄▄    ▄▄████████████
▀████  ▄█████████████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

██████            ██████          ▄▄██████          ▄▄███████▄▄                ▄▄███████▄▄
 ██████          ██████        ▄██████████       ▄███████████████▄          ▄███████████████▄
 ▀█████▄        ▄█████▀       ████████████      ███████████████████        ███████████████████
  ▀█████▄      ▄█████▀       ████████▀▀        ███████▀▀    ▀▀██████      ██████▀▀     ▀▀██████
   ██████      ██████       ███████           ██████▀       ▄██████      █████▀           ▀█████
   ▀█████▄    ▄█████▀      ███████           ██████       ▄██████▀      █████               █████
    ▀█████▄  ▄█████▀       ██████            █████      ▄██████▀        █████               █████
     ██████  ██████        ██████            █████    ▄██████▀          █████               █████
     ▀█████▄▄█████▀        ██████            █████▄ ▄██████▀            █████               █████
      ▀██████████▀         ██████             ███████████▀     ▄███▄     █████▄           ▄█████
       ██████████          ██████              ████████▀    ▄▄██████      ██████▄▄     ▄▄██████
       ▀████████▀          ██████               ███████████████████        ███████████████████
        ▀██████▀           ██████                ▀███████████████▀          ▀███████████████▀
         ▀████▀            ██████                   ▀▀███████▀▀                ▀▀███████▀▀

[
 ▄███████████████████████▄
██▀                     ▀██
██  ▄█████████████████▄  ██
██  ███             ███  ██
██  ▀████████████████▀   ██
██                       ██
██                  ▄▄▄  ██
██   ██             ███  ██
██ ██████       ▄▄▄      ██
██   ██         ███    ▄ ██
██        ▄  ▄       ▄▀ ▄██
██      ▄▀ ▄▀      ▄▀ ▄██▀
██▄               ▀ ▄██▀
 ▀███████████████████▀
Telegram
ANN Thread
Website
]
thorvald

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 08:56:02 PM

Hi Avalon users

There is a new firmware released(Version: 20130321), please update your Avalon to latest firmware
  Please read the ChangeLog before reflash, here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#20130321
  The firmware test plan: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#Test_Plan
  You can find the firmware here: http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/xiangfu/avalon/latest/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory.bin

If you have any problem on Avalon, please read this page first: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon, if it not fix your issue. please goto ##avalon @freenode.net ask some help.

Please report bug here:
  https://github.com/BitSyncom/cgminer-openwrt-packages/issues

If you like donate some BTC (mined by your Avalon Smiley) to me, here is my address:
  12h6gdGnThW385JaX1LRMA8cXKmbYRTP8Q

All The Best & Happy Mining
Xiangfu

The first profit i ever made from mining in about 2 years Cheesy is yours 10x Team Avalon
+2.26 Btc from my part
Regards
Thorvald

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

██████            ██████          ▄▄██████          ▄▄███████▄▄                ▄▄███████▄▄
 ██████          ██████        ▄██████████       ▄███████████████▄          ▄███████████████▄
 ▀█████▄        ▄█████▀       ████████████      ███████████████████        ███████████████████
  ▀█████▄      ▄█████▀       ████████▀▀        ███████▀▀    ▀▀██████      ██████▀▀     ▀▀██████
   ██████      ██████       ███████           ██████▀       ▄██████      █████▀           ▀█████
   ▀█████▄    ▄█████▀      ███████           ██████       ▄██████▀      █████               █████
    ▀█████▄  ▄█████▀       ██████            █████      ▄██████▀        █████               █████
     ██████  ██████        ██████            █████    ▄██████▀          █████               █████
     ▀█████▄▄█████▀        ██████            █████▄ ▄██████▀            █████               █████
      ▀██████████▀         ██████             ███████████▀     ▄███▄     █████▄           ▄█████
       ██████████          ██████              ████████▀    ▄▄██████      ██████▄▄     ▄▄██████
       ▀████████▀          ██████               ███████████████████        ███████████████████
        ▀██████▀           ██████                ▀███████████████▀          ▀███████████████▀
         ▀████▀            ██████                   ▀▀███████▀▀                ▀▀███████▀▀

[
██▄               ▀ ▄██▀
 ▀███████████████████▀
Telegram
ANN Thread
Website
]
thorvald

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 08:43:17 AM

after 22h the worker did not submit work to the pool anymore
in the logs the only thing i can see is
the unit worked , the Avalon tab the satuts was alive but the  mhs5s tab   was 0

Mar 23 03:45:01 OpenWrt cron.info crond[566]: crond: USER root pid 5901 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor
Mar 23 03:50:01 OpenWrt cron.info crond[566]: crond: USER root pid 5910 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

[
██▄               ▀ ▄██▀
 ▀███████████████████▀
Telegram
ANN Thread
Website
]
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 11:31:14 AM

after 22h the worker did not submit work to the pool anymore
in the logs the only thing i can see is
the unit worked , the Avalon tab the satuts was alive but the  mhs5s tab   was 0

Mar 23 03:45:01 OpenWrt cron.info crond[566]: crond: USER root pid 5901 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor
Mar 23 03:50:01 OpenWrt cron.info crond[566]: crond: USER root pid 5910 cmd /usr/bin/cgminer-monitor

can you post dmesg + logread output next time it happens?
10X

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 05:03:15 PM

It looks like in the last days 15TH/s were added to the network hashrate. While asicminer still remains at 6TH where does these come from? Are more avalons in the wild that could explain this rise or whats the source of it? http://blockchain.info/de/charts/hash-rate

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 08:37:45 PM

i have 3 questions:

1.  has the need to hard restart the Avalon been solved?  is it now down to just having to restart cgminer?
2.  my router doles out ip addresses using dhcp.  the Avalon comes with a preset address.  can the Avalon be reconfigured to accept dhcp assigned addresses from my router or do i have to switch dhcp to manual static addresses?
3.  has anyone successfully figured out how to use eloipool for solo mining?
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 09:12:43 PM

2.  my router doles out ip addresses using dhcp.  the Avalon comes with a preset address.  can the Avalon be reconfigured to accept dhcp assigned addresses from my router or do i have to switch dhcp to manual static addresses?

Yes, it can be a DHCP client and get its IP address that way.

I gave mine a static IP address on my network, outside of the DHCP range, so that I don't have to hunt for it if it gets assigned a different IP somehow.

If I wanted to get fancy I could give it a static assignment on the DHCP server, based on its MAC address.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 11:56:29 PM

One guy told me about this page http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Avalon#Start_to_mine and pointed me to the fact that my pool isn't listed there. I'm just wondering if there are any known issues with Avalon+my pool? I'm not aware of any. If everything is fine - who can edit that page and add my pool to the listing?

allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 12:13:52 AM

One guy told me about this page http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Avalon#Start_to_mine and pointed me to the fact that my pool isn't listed there. I'm just wondering if there are any known issues with Avalon+my pool? I'm not aware of any. If everything is fine - who can edit that page and add my pool to the listing?

That wiki has been moved to:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon

slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 12:23:08 AM

Thanks! Considering that I'm not aware of any problems and I see Avalons mining on my pool, I shamelessly edited the page and added myself to the listing. If anybody knows about any compatibility issues, don't hesitate to contact me, I'll fix it quickly.

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:34:37 PM

Here is a thread describing my bitcoind + eloipool solo mining configuration.

This is also the configuration you would use for a mining farm.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
kaerf

Activity: 631
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 08:44:59 PM

Thanks! Considering that I'm not aware of any problems and I see Avalons mining on my pool, I shamelessly edited the page and added myself to the listing. If anybody knows about any compatibility issues, don't hesitate to contact me, I'll fix it quickly.

I've mostly used your pool since I got my Avalon. It actually "feels" like it is the most consistent and pays out the fastest. I haven't actually done real numeric comparisons. BTCGuild has nice graphs, but it didn't seem to generate coins as fast for some reason. BTW, it would be great if you could add some nice pool graphs and stat pages  Grin

I've tried ozcoin, but the portal is way too slow for me. It takes a long time for pages to load and the Cloudflare error pages pop up a lot.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 221 »
  Print  

Jump to: