Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:47:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 ... 1126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Obyte: Totally new consensus algorithm + private untraceable payments  (Read 1234004 times)
Thul

Activity: 140
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 06:46:21 AM

The distribution to those who hope for a performanceless (finally Fiat-)income is a waste of time and energy and certainly does not increase real demand.

It is clear that very few of the community will support this idea. Who has so much self-determination and initiative to open their own shop?
One wants to draw something for free, and exactly this virtue is served by the Byteball management. And that's exactly why it won't work with the desired broad distribution. Because nobody knows what to do with the received "Bytes".
It's not just about distribution.  Don't be fixated on it.  The purpose of this real name attestation campaign is to create a large user base of users with real identities, which the apps can leverage.  No other platform has or is trying to create it.  Undistributed funds help create incentives before the actual apps exist.

I would very much like to offer my goods on Open Bazaar for "Blackbytes", but I can't do that.
We have a grants program for those who want to create an Open Bazaar for "Blackbytes".
First of all, you should make sure that this currency is to be used as what it claims to be: a currency. This would put you ahead of the competition.
Gimmicks that need a KYC can still happen.

Also the distribution of the bites would find really increasing spreading and would not reduce itself in the long run only on a small basis of bite ball fanboys with their unshakeable uncritical faith.

Furthermore, the ignorant adherence to "bite ball" is more than a hindrance to acceptance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Random-String-Symphony

Activity: 77
Merit: 26

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 08:42:59 AM

The distribution to those who hope for a performanceless (finally Fiat-)income is a waste of time and energy and certainly does not increase real demand.

It is clear that very few of the community will support this idea. Who has so much self-determination and initiative to open their own shop?
One wants to draw something for free, and exactly this virtue is served by the Byteball management. And that's exactly why it won't work with the desired broad distribution. Because nobody knows what to do with the received "Bytes".
It's not just about distribution.  Don't be fixated on it.  The purpose of this real name attestation campaign is to create a large user base of users with real identities, which the apps can leverage.  No other platform has or is trying to create it.  Undistributed funds help create incentives before the actual apps exist.

I would very much like to offer my goods on Open Bazaar for "Blackbytes", but I can't do that.
We have a grants program for those who want to create an Open Bazaar for "Blackbytes".
First of all, you should make sure that this currency is to be used as what it claims to be: a currency. This would put you ahead of the competition.

Also the distribution of the bites would find really increasing spreading and would not reduce itself in the long run only on a small basis of bite ball fanboys with their unshakeable uncritical faith.

Furthermore, the ignorant adherence to "bite ball" is more than a hindrance to acceptance.

KYC is not just a gimmick, user controlled identity can also be used instead of passwords for instance. Many use cases for this.
We're not ignoring the criticism on the name, we're actively addressing it.

⚪ Obyte     ❱❱❱     I T   J U S T   W O R K S .    ❱❱❱
Random-String-Symphony

Activity: 77
Merit: 26

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 08:47:26 AM

Your action is required to support the candidate, see the story above.

I  have no idea what this means. Now what will it take for me to get my Byteball wallet in  fully working mode after new witnesses will be appointed?

You didn't read the story I guess. We don't appoint witnesses, it's up to you to pick them. Rogier is the first candidate, more will follow. The Byteball network belongs to the users, they decide who they want to be their witnesses. In the startup phase Tony had to run all 12 because we didn't have any candidates yet. So this is a big deal, it's step 1 in the community taking ownership over the platform, also known as decentralization. I could post here how you can change your witness list but blindly changing it without checking out the candidate is worse than leaving the switch on auto-update from hub. So I suggest you read the article and make an informed decision yourself.

⚪ Obyte     ❱❱❱     I T   J U S T   W O R K S .    ❱❱❱
Thul

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 09:26:25 AM

KYC is not just a gimmick, user controlled identity can also be used instead of passwords for instance. Many use cases for this.
We're not ignoring the criticism on the name, we're actively addressing it.
The mass of sheep usually has no problem with KYC, and for them there are FIAT currencies with their infinite number of applications that increasingly monitor, control and domesticate the herd.

Decentralized crypto currencies, on the other hand, should have a different claim: Privacy, boundless, truly free trade without state control and coercion to finance international terrorism.

Focus on developing bite ball into an integrated system that allows free trade in goods and services.
The beginning is a wallet integrated possibility to change Fiat into bites/blackbites (and vice versa) => BISQ.
In addition, orient yourself to ebay alternatives like Open Bazaar or Bitbay. The latter even forms a unit with the currency and seems to be more resistant to censorship.

But I'm afraid bite ball is not decentralized enough to carry such solutions, unless the witnesses have been routed through TOR.

You should finally give more priority to changing the name, but please don't coordinate with the remaining opportunistic community.
The critical and objective spirits have unfortunately already taken flight.
pineapple express

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 11:28:19 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2018, 11:57:56 AM by pineapple express

We are making the first step towards decentralization of witnesses.

First Decentralized Witness Candidate — Rogier Eijkelhof

Full story: https://medium.com/byteball/first-decentralized-witness-candidate-rogier-eijkelhof-9e5619166334
Interview: https://youtu.be/TI7cb57Yu9A
Witness pledge: https://www.docdroid.net/pqmfskj/rogier-eijkelhof-byteball-witness-pledge.pdf

You didn't read the story I guess. We don't appoint witnesses, it's up to you to pick them
can you share the stats with the top 10 addresses by the daily transaction volume? Eg:
Bittrex: 10%
Betting bot: 10%
WCG: 30%
As a byterbal holder, i want to support Rogier Eijkelhof because i like his photo. But i can't, because no entrepreneur known to me wants to accept my balls and i simply have nowhere to send transactions with Rogier Eijkelhof in the list Sad. I will hope that bittrex and betting bot will change their lists and their transaction volume will cover 51% of the network volume
Kavallo

Activity: 395
Merit: 129

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 05:40:02 PM

I  have no idea what this means. Now what will it take for me to get my Byteball wallet in  fully working mode after new witnesses will be appointed?

You didn't read the story I guess. We don't appoint witnesses, it's up to you to pick them. Rogier is the first candidate, more will follow. The Byteball network belongs to the users, they decide who they want to be their witnesses. In the startup phase Tony had to run all 12 because we didn't have any candidates yet. So this is a big deal, it's step 1 in the community taking ownership over the platform, also known as decentralization. I could post here how you can change your witness list but blindly changing it without checking out the candidate is worse than leaving the switch on auto-update from hub. So I suggest you read the article and make an informed decision yourself.

I remember that originally the plan was to have also very high profile witnesses like institutions etc. Any clue on wether the team is approaching also some entity of such high profile?
tarmo888

Activity: 563

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2018, 07:44:17 PM

The mass of sheep usually has no problem with KYC, and for them there are FIAT currencies with their infinite number of applications that increasingly monitor, control and domesticate the herd.

Decentralized crypto currencies, on the other hand, should have a different claim: Privacy, boundless, truly free trade without state control and coercion to finance international terrorism.

Focus on developing bite ball into an integrated system that allows free trade in goods and services.
The beginning is a wallet integrated possibility to change Fiat into bites/blackbites (and vice versa) => BISQ.
In addition, orient yourself to ebay alternatives like Open Bazaar or Bitbay. The latter even forms a unit with the currency and seems to be more resistant to censorship.

But I'm afraid bite ball is not decentralized enough to carry such solutions, unless the witnesses have been routed through TOR.

You should finally give more priority to changing the name, but please don't coordinate with the remaining opportunistic community.
The critical and objective spirits have unfortunately already taken flight.

It's like you are not reading what is posted here or on newsletter at all, it has been told that the branding agency has been hired to deal with the name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvstCXQqhVw

So, it is priority now, even rough estimate for timeline has given. What do you expect? That when somebody makes fun of the name on Bitcointalk forum then the name would be changed the next day? Maybe things need planning and cannot be rushed because you can't do stuff like that every month. Hopefully it will be done one time and last time, but there is no guarantee that there won't be any people on Bitcointalk that will think that new name is funny or stupid too.

And yet, you still act like a 12 year old who is misspelling Byteball name all the time.

KYC is not mandatory, it is optional. You can have many wallets and if you are extra paranoid, you can have separate phones too for wallets for you blackbytes, or do the KYC only the mobile wallet and keep your dirty stuff on your computer. There is no reason why you can't have both and if the mass of sheep has no problem with KYC then that's good because Byteball needs mass of people, not just some few oddballs.

It has also been told that if you think that your ideas are so great, gather a team and apply for grant if you want these things to be built. Everybody has limited time on their hands, but there are still plenty of funds for developers to build stuff. If you don't see developers writing to you that they would like to build the stuff that you want, maybe it's because they don't think it that great idea. Find yourself developers who believe in your idea and build it.
Thul

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 06:03:30 AM

I remember that originally the plan was to have also very high profile witnesses like institutions etc. Any clue on wether the team is approaching also some entity of such high profile?
For high profile entity the project is not yet attractive enough.

Furthermore: A high profile entity enjoys a high public reputation which he would not want to see endangered by a dubious project.
Dubios becomes bite ball just in case a free, uncensored global trade in goods develops. The latter is certainly not in the sense of state power structures.

Therefore only one thing makes sense: To route the witnesses, who themselves are anonymous and secret, via TOR/I2P.

If this is not considered one has to ask oneself which sense a currency should have like bite ball.
pineapple express

Activity: 630

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 09:12:46 AM
Last edit: October 24, 2018, 01:45:41 PM by pineapple express

Byterbal in top 200 again! Shocked Prepare your balls to the moon

boomboom

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 10:19:01 AM

Byterbal in top 200 again! Shocked Prepare your balls to the moon

Greetings loved ones, let's take a journey!
Guffy

Activity: 50

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 01:30:30 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2018, 01:49:54 PM by Guffy

[] top 200 lol after leaving the top 50
Thul

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 03:45:52 PM

[] top 200 lol after leaving the top 50
Monero
Top 10
Monero can be used.
There is "localmonero" and soon also an integration as basic currency in BISQ to change Fiat directly into Monero (and vice versa).

Since BISQ is open source, it shouldn't be too difficult to modify the code in a way that it can be used within the bite ball wallet.

The gamblers who buy/sell bite ball via centralized exchanges certainly don't contribute to a meaningful distribution.
Santaling

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 04:07:05 PM

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/800/0*WzJ132qLO5CPfQbZ

Full story: https://medium.com/byteball/first-decentralized-witness-candidate-rogier-eijkelhof-9e5619166334
Witness pledge: https://www.docdroid.net/pqmfskj/rogier-eijkelhof-byteball-witness-pledge.pdf

Decentralized? He looks pretty "in-one-piece-ish" to me...

12 public witnesses, explained in whitepaper
Santaling

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 04:13:37 PM

Some customers who are rather inexperienced with Cryptocurrencies buy Bitcoins. Why? Because it's easy.

Bitcoin is not attractive because it is technically better than other coins, but because you can USE this currency. That's why this coin is becoming increasingly popular, while bite ball and other projects are dependent on the greed of fugitive speculators, who certainly don't want to use these coins to pay for goods and services.

The compulsive effort to get bite ball among the people will certainly not contribute to its spread. On the contrary, everyone who gets the coins for free will either forget them, bet them or convert them into Fiat as soon as possible, because you can't do anything else with them.
And therefore the bite ball commuity remains small and insignificant... and probably dissolves more and more.

Many people will disagree with you what is technically better, but the truth is, BTC is not going anywhere and in some sense it will always be better than others, but not for everything, so that's why there is room for altcoins. Some altcoins will do some stuff better, will be technically better in some areas, but worse in some other.

It is funny that you list one of the use cases what you can do with it (betting) and then say you can't do anything else with them. That is literally what some cryptocurrency projects have made ICOs about (whole cryptocurrency for just betting), but on Byteball you can already do that and it is just one of the use cases. You CAN USE many other features on Byteball too, some people do it too already, like creating 1-year vested contracts or issuing tokens without writing single line of code.

The main difference is that when mainstream media talks about cryptocurrencies then they talk about Bitcoin because it is the oldest and the biggest. Bitcoin is the first cryptocurrency everybody learn about because it is the most talked about and well known.

Top cryptocurrencies generally get fiat pairs first, but all centralized exchanges need to do KYC when handling fiat. Byteball does that too and that's why you can buy GBYTE with fiat too. It helps getting more new users get GBYTE easier, but it is not a magic bullet because Byteball is not as well known.

BTC is 9 years old, Byteball is less than 2, but for some reason, you think in order to be successful, it should have already catched up BTC? Or, if it hasn't done it with 2 years then it will never become anything and always remain small and insignificant?

byteball is only 22 months old and development wise has done far more than btc did in its first 5 years
BitcoinArsenal

Activity: 924
Merit: 556

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 05:26:16 PM

No, currently it is still pretty centralized. All or most servers are still controlled/run by Tony. The whitepaper explains how it should be some time in the future when very honest people are chosen to be witnesses which have an interest to run the network correctly and to stabilize it.

(At least this was the situation two months ago when I took a closer look into the whitepaper; could have been changed since then but as far as I know it did not)

Decentralized? He looks pretty "in-one-piece-ish" to me...

12 public witnesses, explained in whitepaper
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2018, 05:54:42 PM

Since BISQ is open source, it shouldn't be too difficult to modify the code in a way that it can be used within the bite ball wallet.

Do it! You will be our hero.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 06:01:57 PM

Whenever I stare at the moon at night, I notice if its a full moon or not. Whenever its a full moon, I automatically think "Oh, Full moon, means we will get an airdrop tonight", and then I realize that the airdrops are no more.

Anyone here feeling the same way whenever they see a full moon? I actually learnt a few things about full moons due to these airdrops. It was always fun waiting for them.

Those were the days in 2017.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
vlom
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1113

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 06:36:04 PM

If I dont forget it, I will let you know in a week or so how many points i made.

well, i made 37,289 points with my vps since i posted the instructions.
10 days => 3'728.9 / day.
=> about 26 days to receive 1$ in bytes (100k points = 1$)
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2018, 06:41:16 PM

Whenever I stare at the moon at night, I notice if its a full moon or not. Whenever its a full moon, I automatically think "Oh, Full moon, means we will get an airdrop tonight", and then I realize that the airdrops are no more.

Anyone here feeling the same way whenever they see a full moon? I actually learnt a few things about full moons due to these airdrops. It was always fun waiting for them.

Interesting fact, in Finnish language, month means same as moon and every month name ends with the word "kuu" http://www.finteresting.net/2016/01/29/the-months-in-finnish/

Same in Estonian language, but more universal names are used now, but folklore has month names that describing the farming year.

And even now, some still keep naming full moons https://www.space.com/39238-full-moon-names.html
altcoinb

Activity: 349
Merit: 132

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 09:01:01 PM

My girlfriend and me, too  Grin all full moon.
Epic would be a last drop (maybe blackbytes) if all bytes are distributed.

I attested today 5 news users in real life Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 ... 1126 »
  Print  

Jump to: