Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:57:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 [2102] 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049421 times)
tolip_wen

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 11:59:21 AM

Question for ya all....

My Titan keeps causing my PSU's modular power connectors to eventually melt after like months and months of steady use. I think it may be because of crappy modular cable connectors n connections to the PSU.
The titan side of things - including the Y adapters remain in good shape.

So, Im wondering

Has anyone tried powering their Titans w/ one of these 2000w server PSU's using the breakout boards sold here on the forums to much success? Im just wondering if these breakout boards plus decent PCIe cables would be better for the Titan or not.
Looks like the controller board & pi would both have to still be powered by a seperate ATX psu to supply 5v ... is this ok to do?
Thanks

Not with a Titan but I have used them with nepturds.
I use 2 of them in current sharing mode per nepturd, I have 4kw rails!!!
I'm focused on redundancy and minimum(zero) downtime if there is a PSU failure.
https://i.imgur.com/epKz23R.jpg

I made my own connectors at first, then I got the breakout boards.
http://www.gekkoscience.com/products/IBM2K_board.html
Theese are sold by user "Cablez". 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=54059

Another reason I went with a 4kw rail is I wanted the PSUs to be at 1/2 of rated current for greatest efficiency.
The PSUs are great, can hot plug them if using more than one.
I also picked up some 1800w PSU's for backups. (same connector/breakout board etc.)
The only potential downside is 220VAC is required.
You also need a fan for the PSU, there is a fan connector on the breakout board.
I started with a 'poor mans 220VAC' in a 110VAC house by running extension cord for one of the 110VAC legs.
The gekkoscience.com  breakout boards I bought also solve the 5VDC issue onboard.
He also sells 14AWG PCIe power pigtails to go along with them.
I bought some pigtails too, but never used them, as I soldered my 12AWG power wires directly to the ASIC PCB.
I used only 2 12AWG wires each direction and the wires get slightly warm but never hot.

Mine work well, I never heard of anyone having any issues but I did not look for such posts either.
Delivery was as advertised, no complaints from me!
I bought my PSU's on Ebay but he sells those too and the price is good.
2kw is a lot of juice to be exposed, think it thru.  (12VoltsDC @ 166Amps = 2000 Watts)

YMMV
Smiley

'twisted research and opinion' donations happily accepted @
13362fxFAdrhagmCvSmFy4WoHrNRPG2V57
My sub 1337 vanity address Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

https://www.bitworks.io

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 03:14:09 PM

I use the IBM 2880W units with all of mine and haven't looked back.. They are loud but I run them in the basement and it hasn't been an issue.. Using J4bberwock's 4 pin molex output boards to power them and it's been solid...

They are not as efficient as some of the PSUs discussed above but I am running cables suitable for 300W since I have the option to do so, never had a burnt plug on the PSU or Neptune/Titan side, even when overclocking..

One of my customers did blow out one of J4bber's boards across the 600 or so I have sold I have only seen this happen once... A few more shorted on initial connection but that was due to a manufacturing defect before J4bber tightened up his QC..

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 05:21:46 PM

Question for ya all....

My Titan keeps causing my PSU's modular power connectors to eventually melt after like months and months of steady use. I think it may be because of crappy modular cable connectors n connections to the PSU.
By the way, when you melt the connector to the point where the board burns it's a bitch on wheels to fix.

Melting is caused by a couple of things. When you plug a miner in while the power is on, there is a little spark that happens because the miner's 12 volt caps are charging up from zero. Each spark leaves a nice pock mark on the plug or socket. Eventually that causes resistance which causes heat which causes more resistance.

The other issue is voltage. The cube is going to take a certain number of watts. When you start lowering th voltage below 12v due to cheap cabling, the current draw has to go up. Current is what generates heat in voltage drop situations (P=IE), so when you voltage drops to 10v the thing is now dropping 2v*20a=40w of heat along that line. Then it gets hotter resistance goes up, hilarity ensues.

Third thing is the interconnections between the PCIe connector and the Titan board, if you look at the ground lines on layer 1 and 6 you see that the PCIe pin goes to a via which connects to a very small set of four spider connectors to the ground plane. They do the same thing with +12, it's only a few mm, but as you heat up those pins you will start to burn out those spiders. Once one pin's spiders go the other spiders have to carry more of the load which burns those pins and you know where this leads.

Solution? You could run a supply with a massive amount of power, but remember those cubes don't have fuses in them so if something like a FET shorts inside a power supply you go from a simple *pop* to what could nicely be described as a small plasma fireball (see Amp Interrupt rating). This can then cause the phenolic on the board itself to conduct which will turn your unit into a 3,000 watt electric dryer in a 1 foot cube. This could then be described as "hilarious".

Or try dropping down the power. These units hash nicely at 60mh, do you really need 80+?

Well, the issue isnt the connectors on the Titan, its the connectors & cables on the PSU side (they are modular).
Also, my Titan's PSUs are fully powered down prior to any cables being messed with =) So, there should be no sparking or anything.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 05:24:52 PM

Thanks for your feedback guys on various server PSU's ... seems theres still the potential for things to be just as finicky w/ those as there is w/ ATX PSU's. I have 2 decent ATX PSU's powering the Titan right now, I guess its just the modular cable quality & connection fit to the PSU thats in question.
I have plenty of extra modular cables right now, guess I will just keep replacing them as they start to brown up(Ive only had 1 do this so far). The Titan end of things(connectors, y cables etc...) is unaffected.

Im guessing finding a non-modular PSU would be better that way the modular cables & connections wouldnt be a variable. But I cant find those anywhere - guess modular is only option in high end ATX nowadays. At least from Im seeing on newegg =P

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
BitcoinPappi
Legendary

Activity: 915
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 10:47:41 PM

Question for ya all....

By the way, when you melt the connector to the point where the board burns it's a bitch on wheels to fix.

Melting is caused by a couple of things. When you plug a miner in while the power is on, there is a little spark that happens because the miner's 12 volt caps are charging up from zero. Each spark leaves a nice pock mark on the plug or socket. Eventually that causes resistance which causes heat which causes more resistance.

The other issue is voltage. The cube is going to take a certain number of watts. When you start lowering th voltage below 12v due to cheap cabling, the current draw has to go up. Current is what generates heat in voltage drop situations (P=IE), so when you voltage drops to 10v the thing is now dropping 2v*20a=40w of heat along that line. Then it gets hotter resistance goes up, hilarity ensues.

Third thing is the interconnections between the PCIe connector and the Titan board, if you look at the ground lines on layer 1 and 6 you see that the PCIe pin goes to a via which connects to a very small set of four spider connectors to the ground plane. They do the same thing with +12, it's only a few mm, but as you heat up those pins you will start to burn out those spiders. Once one pin's spiders go the other spiders have to carry more of the load which burns those pins and you know where this leads.

Solution? You could run a supply with a massive amount of power, but remember those cubes don't have fuses in them so if something like a FET shorts inside a power supply you go from a simple *pop* to what could nicely be described as a small plasma fireball (see Amp Interrupt rating). This can then cause the phenolic on the board itself to conduct which will turn your unit into a 3,000 watt electric dryer in a 1 foot cube. This could then be described as "hilarious".

Or try dropping down the power. These units hash nicely at 60mh, do you really need 80+?

Sad  Cry . We honestly do not in retrospect
bclcjunkie

Activity: 833
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 06:39:58 AM

selling my preloved titan sets if anyone is interested.. prefer to move the whole lot unless i find a few buyers who are interested in single cubes or controllers..

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1382089.0
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 06:18:56 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2016, 07:45:16 AM by GenTarkin

wait for it.....    Wait for It............  WAIT FOR IT......................

RELEASE of GenTarkin's Mod ~ Custom KNC Titan Firmware v1.0.0 IS FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Previous customers: head to http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com/custom-knc-titan-firmware-myaccount/ to obtain your FREE UPGRADE and license key(s)!!

New / Unverified previous customers: head to http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com/custom-knc-titan-firmware-shop/ to purchase!!

RELEASE NOTES:

Major Features, Additions, Fixes & Changes:
Added the long awaited “Energy Saver” feature – automatically tunes die voltages for highest effeciency while keeping the die stable as possible & hw% low. ~~MORE INFO http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com/energy-saver-faq-help/ ~~
DCDC Over-Current protection – any DCDC’s detected above 46A will be issued a die reset, if that fails then die speed is clocked down significantly to prevent DCDC failure.
Long Term Stability checking for all dies – bumps voltage up on a die if it becomes unstable more than 2x in a period of 2 days.
Per RPI Cube Tracking – if cubes are added, removed or moved around their last known clocks and volts on a given pi will be restored.
Internet outtage / dead pool detection to prevent miner from constantly resetting itself.
Slight webgui redesign.
Product license activation.
Full Copyright & end user license information.
Much smaller installation file.

Additional Features, Additions, Fixes & Changes:
Full translation of webgui pages to 80+ different languages.
Logging file output format refined and also includes more timestamps now.
Optimized timing of die / cube soft and hard resets.
Fixed format of advanced.conf file not being updated properly when user changes/removes/adds cubes or manually sets dies OFF.
ADVANCED page now shows which dies(if any) are being throttled because of DCDC over temp threshold.
ADVANCED page now auto refreshes every 5 minutes.
Noticed in rare cases dies are configured with positive voltage – wrote correction code for this.
For “Energy Saver” implemented cross reboots internal data array tracking capability.
Ability for user to save Log Files to a file to be posted or emailed for diagnostic purposes. (This is part of the Energy Saver options).
Added BALANCE strategy to MINER page – this may work better than LOAD-BALANCE for some users.
Removal of BFGminer version option – in testing 5.1.0 works best with Titans – can re-add later on as an optional installation file if demand is high enough.
More fixes to KNC’s shoddy code.
And many more small fixes / improvements too numerous to list.

All the previous firmware features and improvements are included!

Now … you’re probably asking yourself “yeah yeah, but how much do all these wonderful new features cost?” Simple: $75 first full copy, $35 for additional licenses.

Verified Previous Customers: The upgrade to this firmware is completely FREE for the number of Titans the previous version was purchased. Additional Titans require additional license purchase. If you created an account here previously then you will find license keys issued to your account. **NOTE** If you have not created an account on this site and verified your previous purchases, please contact me - http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com/custom-knc-titan-firmware-contact/
--
New Customers: Prices as detailed above.

***IMPORTANT INSTALLATION NOTICE*** – Upon upgrading to and activation of this firmware, its EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to keep track of which license was used on your KNC Titan(s). An easy way to do this is create backups of your Titan(s) after activating, then keep record of which backup went to which Titan.

***PRODUCT NOTICE*** – upon purchasing / obtaining this software, the end user agrees to the license terms set forth here(this file is also contained in my firmware): gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com/gentarkin_mod/LICENSE

FOLLOWUP REMINDER .... gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com is currently the ONLY VALID SOURCE of my firmware.

All others are fake clones based on outdated and extremely buggy code.

TXSteve

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 02:37:05 PM

good job, it's finally here, I know you put a lot of hard work into this release
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 05:06:05 PM

wait for it.....    Wait for It............  WAIT FOR IT......................

RELEASE of GenTarkin's Mod ~ Custom KNC Titan Firmware v1.0.0 IS FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Previous customers: head to http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com/custom-knc-titan-firmware-myaccount/ to obtain your FREE UPGRADE and license key(s)!!

New / Unverified previous customers: head to http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com/custom-knc-titan-firmware-shop/ to purchase!!

RELEASE NOTES:

Major Features, Additions, Fixes & Changes:
Added the long awaited “Energy Saver” feature – automatically tunes die voltages for highest effeciency while keeping the die stable as possible & hw% low. ~~MORE INFO http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com/energy-saver-faq-help/ ~~
DCDC Over-Current protection – any DCDC’s detected above 46A will be issued a die reset, if that fails then die speed is clocked down significantly to prevent DCDC failure.
Long Term Stability checking for all dies – bumps voltage up on a die if it becomes unstable more than 2x in a period of 2 days.
Per RPI Cube Tracking – if cubes are added, removed or moved around their last known clocks and volts on a given pi will be restored.
Internet outtage / dead pool detection to prevent miner from constantly resetting itself.
Slight webgui redesign.
Product license activation.
Full Copyright & end user license information.
Much smaller installation file.

Additional Features, Additions, Fixes & Changes:
Full translation of webgui pages to 80+ different languages.
Logging file output format refined and also includes more timestamps now.
Optimized timing of die / cube soft and hard resets.
Fixed format of advanced.conf file not being updated properly when user changes/removes/adds cubes or manually sets dies OFF.
ADVANCED page now shows which dies(if any) are being throttled because of DCDC over temp threshold.
ADVANCED page now auto refreshes every 5 minutes.
Noticed in rare cases dies are configured with positive voltage – wrote correction code for this.
For “Energy Saver” implemented cross reboots internal data array tracking capability.
Ability for user to save Log Files to a file to be posted or emailed for diagnostic purposes. (This is part of the Energy Saver options).
Added BALANCE strategy to MINER page – this may work better than LOAD-BALANCE for some users.
Removal of BFGminer version option – in testing 5.1.0 works best with Titans – can re-add later on as an optional installation file if demand is high enough.
More fixes to KNC’s shoddy code.
And many more small fixes / improvements too numerous to list.

All the previous firmware features and improvements are included!

Now … you’re probably asking yourself “yeah yeah, but how much do all these wonderful new features cost?” Simple: $75 first full copy, $35 for additional licenses.

Verified Previous Customers: The upgrade to this firmware is completely FREE for the number of Titans the previous version was purchased. Additional Titans require additional license purchase. If you created an account here previously then you will find license keys issued to your account. **NOTE** If you have not created an account on this site and verified your previous purchases, please contact me - http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com/custom-knc-titan-firmware-contact/
--
New Customers: Prices as detailed above.

***IMPORTANT INSTALLATION NOTICE*** – Upon upgrading to and activation of this firmware, its EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to keep track of which license was used on your KNC Titan(s). An easy way to do this is create backups of your Titan(s) after activating, then keep record of which backup went to which Titan.

***PRODUCT NOTICE*** – upon purchasing / obtaining this software, the end user agrees to the license terms set forth here(this file is also contained in my firmware): gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com/gentarkin_mod/LICENSE

FOLLOWUP REMINDER .... gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com is currently the ONLY VALID SOURCE of my firmware.

All others are fake clones based on outdated and extremely buggy code.

Going through auto tune now at stage 2 of 3, so far so good. Power usage seems down a bit, but will know after it finishes.

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 2222

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 08:13:13 PM

That is so cool! I wonder if it can fix a titan with a mumbling die.
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 11:12:41 PM

Well.... figures ... of all days for my site to have hosting issues, its today LOL!
Sit tight everyone....

GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 11:15:57 PM

Describe mumbling....

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 01:05:42 AM

Describe mumbling....
The die pulls power, but throws errors from time to time on the die that shuts down either the die or the die next to it as well. Fixed by cycling the miner, but then it comes back. Sometimes you see the current on the supplies drop to zero.

I don't have a unit now that does this, but did awhile back.

Other annoyances include dies that hash fine for awhile, then the supplies drop to zero. Rebooting the cube fixes it, sometimes dropping the supplies to zero does so as well. Also an odd one, I had a unit that once had a power supply simply disappear. Because I was running it at 200mhz the other supply handled the load fine but it was odd.

These are the days of our lives. :-)
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 01:13:09 AM

Site is back up everyone =) yay!

GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 01:14:10 AM

Describe mumbling....
The die pulls power, but throws errors from time to time on the die that shuts down either the die or the die next to it as well. Fixed by cycling the miner, but then it comes back. Sometimes you see the current on the supplies drop to zero.

I don't have a unit now that does this, but did awhile back.

Other annoyances include dies that hash fine for awhile, then the supplies drop to zero. Rebooting the cube fixes it, sometimes dropping the supplies to zero does so as well. Also an odd one, I had a unit that once had a power supply simply disappear. Because I was running it at 200mhz the other supply handled the load fine but it was odd.

These are the days of our lives. :-)

If its not due to a hardware failure then this is one of the things my firmware has automated from day 1 - handling "sleeping dies" or as you put it "mumbling dies"

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 01:57:23 AM

If its not due to a hardware failure then this is one of the things my firmware has automated from day 1 - handling "sleeping dies" or as you put it "mumbling dies"
Hardware failure is one of those really hilarious terms in Titan-land. I'll have to grab a copy over the weekend, hopefully you take... bitcoin? Or maybe that litestuff? :-)

On an un-related note I figured out how to fix wedged Neptune/beaglebones, fix dead display devices (hint the KNC soldering job sucks), and now that I have a spare am fiddling with the concept of how to run the titan firmware. FPGAs are up and running, just need to tweak the titan driver in bfgminer....

Never dull.
edgar
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 03:14:29 AM

so theoretically, with a bit of rummaging - one might turn a neptune doorstop into a 'fully'-functioning titan??

very interesting.... im fully powered down now & have a considerable amount of expensive junk just gathering dust.

i asked our local scrap merchant how much he'd pay for a fully functional Ant S2 (with working PSU) - $1.70 USD.

so all my obsolete shit is sitting, waiting for the day they have some purpose

what are you making per cube per day/month?

I assume one could run 3-5 cubes from a single controller board (+ extras)

zzz - exhausted just typing that

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 03:19:02 AM

so theoretically, with a bit of rummaging - one might turn a neptune doorstop into a 'fully'-functioning titan??

If you can get a Titan processing board, sure. The controller baseboard for the Neptune, Titan, and Jupiters are identical, the Titan uses a Raspberry pi plus a bridgeboard but I'm whacking away at getting a modern beaglebone running. The trick is figuring out how to remap the gpio ports, but I'm working on it. Unix lets you pull all sorts of funny crap.

Myself, I am not mining so much as fixing other people's stuff. The titans are worth fixing at this point, good systems.
padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2016, 03:37:15 AM

If you can get a Titan processing board, sure. The controller baseboard for the Neptune, Titan, and Jupiters are identical, the Titan uses a Raspberry pi plus a bridgeboard but I'm whacking away at getting a modern beaglebone running. The trick is figuring out how to remap the gpio ports, but I'm working on it. Unix lets you pull all sorts of funny crap.

Myself, I am not mining so much as fixing other people's stuff. The titans are worth fixing at this point, good systems.

Posting a Titan firmware for the Beaglebone soon, works for all KNC miners Jupiter, Neptune, and Titan.... Keep an eye out in the next few days...

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 04:00:54 AM

Posting a Titan firmware for the Beaglebone soon, works for all KNC miners Jupiter, Neptune, and Titan.... Keep an eye out in the next few days...
Aw damn, you're going to beat me to it. The key for me was realizing that the fpga-titan code can be loaded with the neptune fpga loader and the io-pwr command from the neptunes.

Couple that with compiling up the driver support code with a few hacks into bfgminer and you're up and running.

Nice job, thanks for working on this. Now I have more time time fix hardware fails.

Pages: « 1 ... 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 [2102] 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: