May 07, 2024, 03:23:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 19184 19185 19186 19187 19188 19189 19190 19191 19192 19193 19194 19195 19196 19197 19198 19199 19200 19201 19202 19203 19204 19205 19206 19207 19208 19209 19210 19211 19212 19213 19214 19215 19216 19217 19218 19219 19220 19221 19222 19223 19224 19225 19226 19227 19228 19229 19230 19231 19232 19233 [19234] 19235 19236 19237 19238 19239 19240 19241 19242 19243 19244 19245 19246 19247 19248 19249 19250 19251 19252 19253 19254 19255 19256 19257 19258 19259 19260 19261 19262 19263 19264 19265 19266 19267 19268 19269 19270 19271 19272 19273 19274 19275 19276 19277 19278 19279 19280 19281 19282 19283 19284 ... 33329 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26373245 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3868

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:18:30 AM

Naw, brother. It's not like that. Just introspective hell right now, with everything coming up, and my partner being out of town.

Still have some work I need to trudge through, and just can't find the motivation lately.

Know what I mean ? Winter blahs starting to get to me. Can't wait to move out of Montana end of March. Hate the snow.

Moving further South.

Looking forward to pursuing passion projects, that I really can't start on now, for... reasons.

My advice is not to go too far. It is a known fact that people who lived most of their lives up north sometimes don't last in the South.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/keep-it-cool-hot-weather-advice-older-people

I am thinking to move in the opposite direction (from TX to CO or OR) in due course.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TERA2

Activity: 266
Merit: 222

Deb Rah Von Doom

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:26:20 AM

So my banks just complained. Apparently churning too much money in and out of exchanges has them worried shitless that the taxman will complain. Might have to register as a business to keep trading at the current levels of volume. Not sure I wanna deal with that shit. Especially the part where I have to give up half the profit. Blah.
To me, this is worrying more than annoying. Any hint of coordination among banks? How long between the two complaints?
If you only had money coming in and no money going out they probably wouldnt have a problem with it.

This is why we need something like Tether but which is reliable.

What do you mean you have to give half your profit? I know already as a daytrader I have to give up 40% of my profit every year in income taxes. I thought registering as a business would actually prevent taxes until you took out money (paid yourself) to spend it.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:29:02 AM

I thought registering as a business would actually prevent taxes until you took out money to spend it.

Corporates pay corporate tax rates on profits.  You might get a credit on your income tax for dividends that have already been taxed at the corporate level depending on where you live.

The important part about corporates is you only pay tax on profits.  Individuals pay tax on revenue and then have to fight for deductions. 
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:31:45 AM

So my banks just complained. Apparently churning too much money in and out of exchanges has them worried shitless that the taxman will complain. Might have to register as a business to keep trading at the current levels of volume. Not sure I wanna deal with that shit. Especially the part where I have to give up half the profit. Blah.
To me, this is worrying more than annoying. Any hint of coordination among banks? How long between the two complaints?
If you only had money coming in and no money going out they probably wouldnt have a problem with it.

What do you mean you have to give half your profit? I know already as a daytrader I have to give up 40% of my profit every year in income taxes. I thought registering as a business would actually prevent taxes until you took out money (paid yourself) to spend it.

IF I was to do what you do..it would be 40% (my income bracket with mining etc) and 10% STATE Income Tax..so for income OR capital gains my state adds 10% tax

this is probably why you  see some folk say 50% tax rate....(so I mine its 40% tax rate and 10% state tax..if I sell crypto it is 40% capital gains and 10% tax rate (state

calls it income) so either/or I lose 50% on ANY crypto I make and/or use if less than 1 year and a day ....

annoying.....

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:33:43 AM

wow

we are clearing TXs down to 10 satoshi/byte if I am reading the chart right
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:35:22 AM

Corporates pay corporate tax rates on profits.

Except pass-through corporates that pay personal tax rates on profits.
ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 03:35:29 AM

wow

we are clearing TXs down to 10 satoshi/byte if I am reading the chart right
Yes, it's been going on for a while now. So if you still have Bitcoins in non-SegWit addresses, or want to consolidate some of your UTXOs into the same address (so your privacy isn't affected), now would be a good time!
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:39:15 AM

Corporates pay corporate tax rates on profits.

Except pass-through corporates that pay personal tax rates on profits.

And partnerships, trusts and more exotic birds.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 03:39:53 AM
Merited by Dabs (1)

So I have been thinking about the Lightning Network for a bit as far as running a node goes.

From my limited understanding of it, if you are the node between 2 people you basically fund the transactions going through, they sign a transaction to you, you sign a transaction to them for the equal amount each (so you need twice the amount for the channel), then throughout the length of time of the channel being open you sign transactions back and forth with the people connected to your node then settle everything at the end or whenever someone wants to settle the balance.

Firstly, is that somewhat accurate? I am sure it is super complicated beyond that, otherwise I would know it better.

My question (if that is accurate) is, could I sign every possible transaction for each node connecting to me offline, then only move the signed transactions to a hot database that I pull the transactions from as needed?

For example, A and B connect to me with 1 BTC each. I copy their public key to an offline machine and have it generate a million transactions each (or however many are needed) to account for every possible signed transaction then transfer that to a computer online.

Also, if this is possible, what prevents me from signing all of those transactions then spending the bitcoins somewhere else. Or is this what SegWit fixed?
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:40:37 AM

I actually considered if tether would be a valid way to store my fiat. Not sure how reliable it is tho, and you need dollar to buy it where I am stuck with euro on kraken.

And danish rules man. As a one person business the entire profit of the business count as regular wage income, and it will eventually be enough to put me in the 55% tax bracket (if it isn't already, can't be arsed checking). On the other hand there is no capital gains tax on bitcoin, so considering just not trading anymore and waiting for the price to go up, then sell a bit as needed during spikes. But nobody can predict the future so...
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:46:11 AM

I understand you wouldn't like giving an exact figure but.... may I ask if we are talking about millions here or are they complaining over a smaller figure? Any ballpark on what triggered their concerns would help.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:47:48 AM

Tether requires defending a peg.  Some day a whale will decide to short and break the Tether peg.   All over Red Rover.

I saw some commentary on Twitter that said that Tether printing was because the demand for Tether during this bear market was through the roof and they had to print more to hold the price down to US$1.  Otherwise the peg was about to break to the upside.

I interpret that to mean that the best time to blow up Tether to the downside is during a price surge as everyone is dumping their Tether for crypto.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:48:36 AM

... But your "business" would have to pay corporate taxes over the trading profits TOO.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:50:34 AM

I understand you wouldn't like giving an exact figure but.... may I ask if we are talking about millions here or are they complaining over a smaller figure? Any ballpark on what triggered their concerns would help.
Millions over several months in local denomination, so... 200-400k in dollar?

The thing is I only make 4-5% per trade, with the upside that there is zero risk on my end. So it looks like massive amounts are being moved (massive in terms of wage slave numbers that is), but it's really just the same pool of money churning back and forth over and over, which to them looks like huge amounts. It pays the rent and a bit more, but it's really nothing massive in terms of profits.
TERA2

Deb Rah Von Doom

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:53:28 AM

HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:01:27 AM

Tera where are we now on that map of yours?
TERA2

Deb Rah Von Doom

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:03:44 AM

Tera where are we now on that map of yours?
January 25, 2018
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:05:02 AM

The thing is I only make 4-5% per trade, with the upside that there is zero risk on my end. So it looks like massive amounts are being moved (massive in terms of wage slave numbers that is), but it's really just the same pool of money churning back and forth over and over, which to them looks like huge amounts. It pays the rent and a bit more, but it's really nothing massive in terms of profits.

For sure it doesn't look like a big amount BUT having lots of significant (non-negligible) in/out INTERNATIONAL transfers sounds exactly like a business and not regular personal activity... either that or... money laundering!. I guess their concerns go on that path. Did you register an activity and documented it to the banks beforehand? Probably they just want to cover THEIR own asses (KYC/AML thingy).

Do you really need to uses banks all the time for your "activity"? Couldn't you "cache" a bigger ammount outside of banking (ie, spread over several different exchanges to minimize the risk of catastrophic loss) so that you minimize the amount of banking tx's and triggering of alerts?
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:12:40 AM

For sure it doesn't look like a big amount BUT having lots of significant (non-negligible) in/out INTERNATIONAL transfers sounds exactly like a business and not regular personal activity... either that or... money laundering!. I guess their concerns go on that path. Did you register an activity and documented it to the banks beforehand? Probably they just want to cover THEIR own asses (KYC/AML thingy).

Do you really need to uses banks all the time for your "activity"? Couldn't you "cache" a bigger ammount outside of banking (ie, spread over several different exchanges to minimize the risk of catastrophic loss) so that you minimize the amount of banking tx's and triggering of alerts?
One account was specifically made in order to trade bitcoin, which they agreed to beforehand. And the money all goes to kraken, plus a few incoming transactions from people who send fiat after which I send bitcoin. There shouldn't be any problem with any of this, except the size of the amounts - which they didn't care about until just now, because the numbers have been growing.

It's just the volume, nothing else.
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2903

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:22:55 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2018, 04:45:16 AM by d_eddie
Merited by explorer (2), JayJuanGee (1), Elwar (1), Dabs (1), Last of the V8s (1)

So I have been thinking about the Lightning Network for a bit as far as running a node goes.

From my limited understanding of it, if you are the node between 2 people you basically fund the transactions going through, they sign a transaction to you, you sign a transaction to them for the equal amount each (so you need twice the amount for the channel),
You don't need twice the amount. It's just the amount because of the way sequence and timelocks are set up to work.

then throughout the length of time of the channel being open you sign transactions back and forth with the people connected to your node then settle everything at the end or whenever someone wants to settle the balance.

Firstly, is that somewhat accurate? I am sure it is super complicated beyond that, otherwise I would know it better.
More than somewhat. Yes, the details are hairy, but that's the basic idea.  One important missing piece is that you need to to have more than 1 channel open in order to route funds. You can close one of your channels when you feel like it.

My question (if that is accurate) is, could I sign every possible transaction for each node connecting to me offline, then only move the signed transactions to a hot database that I pull the transactions from as needed?

For example, A and B connect to me with 1 BTC each. I copy their public key to an offline machine and have it generate a million transactions each (or however many are needed) to account for every possible signed transaction then transfer that to a computer online.

Also, if this is possible, what prevents me from signing all of those transactions then spending the bitcoins somewhere else. Or is this what SegWit fixed?
No you can't do that. You only get some coin from Alice that you must pass on to the opposite end of one of your open channels. Each channel has only two ends: you and the other guy. So you get money on one channel (Alice), you pass it on to Charlie, which will help with another hop, until the coins reach the final destination - Bob, but none of the intermediate nodes knows that. You can't withhold the funds within your node. They must travel onwards.
Pages: « 1 ... 19184 19185 19186 19187 19188 19189 19190 19191 19192 19193 19194 19195 19196 19197 19198 19199 19200 19201 19202 19203 19204 19205 19206 19207 19208 19209 19210 19211 19212 19213 19214 19215 19216 19217 19218 19219 19220 19221 19222 19223 19224 19225 19226 19227 19228 19229 19230 19231 19232 19233 [19234] 19235 19236 19237 19238 19239 19240 19241 19242 19243 19244 19245 19246 19247 19248 19249 19250 19251 19252 19253 19254 19255 19256 19257 19258 19259 19260 19261 19262 19263 19264 19265 19266 19267 19268 19269 19270 19271 19272 19273 19274 19275 19276 19277 19278 19279 19280 19281 19282 19283 19284 ... 33329 »
  Print  

Jump to: