Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:30:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 ... 814 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2591625 times)
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 11:40:45 AM

Actually this is a major problem. If p2pool is rolling ntime and telling the mining software it can roll ntime, there is nothing to guarantee they wont collide. The expire=10 seconds tells the mining software how long it can roll work for, not how far into the future it can roll time. Potentially the software can roll time up to 2 hours into the future within that 10 seconds, so there can be no guarantee the work source and mining software won't clash. If you're asking the mining software to roll time, you shouldn't be rolling it within p2pool, or vice versa. Since p2pool generates its own work locally, I see no point even asking the mining software to roll the time if it's going to roll it itself. Since rolling time requires a lot less CPU than generating fresh work, it really is a matter of where you want the time to be rolled - the source of the work (in this case p2pool) or the mining software. It should not be done at both ends.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tucenaber

Activity: 337
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 12:19:12 PM

Since p2pool generates its own work locally, I see no point even asking the mining software to roll the time if it's going to roll it itself.
So if I hack the p2pool code, and remove the X-Roll-NTime header altogether as a short term fix, that would make cgminer stop rolling and my problem would be gone? Super easy  Grin I will try it right away.

Thank you!
Smoovious

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Scattering my bits around the net since 1980

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 12:32:28 PM

Since p2pool generates its own work locally, I see no point even asking the mining software to roll the time if it's going to roll it itself.
So if I hack the p2pool code, and remove the X-Roll-NTime header altogether as a short term fix, that would make cgminer stop rolling and my problem would be gone? Super easy  Grin I will try it right away.

Thank you!
What is the difference between using long-polling, and not using long-polling, and since it is a 10-second interval anyways, is there any real need for long-polling to begin with?

(requesting a little enlightenment about it)

-- Smoov
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 12:35:56 PM

Heh, DiabloMiner fixes this by just watching for the X-Is-P2Pool header. Wink

tucenaber

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 12:45:07 PM

Thank you!
What is the difference between using long-polling, and not using long-polling, and since it is a 10-second interval anyways, is there any real need for long-polling to begin with?

-- Smoov

Long polling means that the pool is waiting with giving a reply until it actually has new work, and that is good even for short period lengths too, I guess. But this issue isn't about long-polling, I think, but whether the server or the client should increment the timestamp when the client runs out of nonces.

Anyhoooo...

Removing the header S-O-L-V-E-D it!  Man, I'm sooo happy! Cheesy
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:46:57 PM

So if I hack the p2pool code, and remove the X-Roll-NTime header altogether as a short term fix, that would make cgminer stop rolling and my problem would be gone? Super easy  Grin I will try it right away.

Thank you!

-- Smoov

The LP is not just a notification, it also provides new work that is valid.
So the miner will get the new work immediately rather than having the extra delay of requesting it.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
coinnewb

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 10:15:37 PM

Thank you!

-- Smoov

Long polling means that the pool is waiting with giving a reply until it actually has new work, and that is good even for short period lengths too, I guess. But this issue isn't about long-polling, I think, but whether the server or the client should increment the timestamp when the client runs out of nonces.

Anyhoooo...

Removing the header S-O-L-V-E-D it!  Man, I'm sooo happy! Cheesy

Do you mind sharing the details of changes?  I see the same issue with my setup from time to time.
Thanks.
tucenaber

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 11:25:58 PM

Do you mind sharing the details of changes?  I see the same issue with my setup from time to time.
Thanks.
In the p2pool directory, look for the file p2pool/bitcoin/worker_interface.py. Open it in an editor and remove the line containing "X-Roll-NTime" and remove it.
Code:
     @defer.inlineCallbacks
     def _getwork(self, request, data, long_poll):
         request.setHeader('X-Long-Polling', '/long-polling')
-        request.setHeader('X-Roll-NTime', 'expire=10')
         request.setHeader('X-Is-P2Pool', 'true')

done!
rav3n_pl
Legendary

Activity: 1361
Merit: 1003

Don`t panic! Organize!

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 11:55:31 PM

PM forrestv about that!

1Rav3nkMayCijuhzcYemMiPYsvcaiwHni  Bitcoin stuff on my OneDrive
My RPC CoinControl for any coin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=929954
Some stuff on https://github.com/Rav3nPL/
tucenaber

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 12:23:58 AM

done
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 12:50:38 AM

Anyhoooo...

Removing the header S-O-L-V-E-D it!  Man, I'm sooo happy! Cheesy

I made your change to my side, installed python 2.7.3 64-bit (windows) and all the associated apps needed for p2pool and fired it up.

The dupe message is definitely gone.

Now, however, cgminer on my main miner (4x7870 = 2.6g/h) is complaining non stop about p2pool not providing work fast enough.  I think if my phoenix miner (4x5870 = 1.6g/h) had a better UI, it would be complaining too.

I'm not sure this is an improvement. Sad

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 02:45:42 AM

I would think you're better off making p2pool not roll ntime and leave it to the mining software.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 03:28:33 AM

Anyhoooo...

I made your change to my side, installed python 2.7.3 64-bit (windows) and all the associated apps needed for p2pool and fired it up.

Now, however, cgminer on my main miner (4x7870 = 2.6g/h) is complaining non stop about p2pool not providing work fast enough.  I think if my phoenix miner (4x5870 = 1.6g/h) had a better UI, it would be complaining too.

M
However, what this is saying is that your p2pool can't handle a local miner without roll-n-time
So I'd guess your p2pool setup is very slow or has poor network connectivity to your miner since it really should be a local miner talking to a local p2pool and that REALLY should be fast?!?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
rav3n_pl
Legendary

Activity: 1361
Merit: 1003

Don`t panic! Organize!

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 05:52:06 AM

Maybe make this time up to 30 or 60 sec instead of removing line?

1Rav3nkMayCijuhzcYemMiPYsvcaiwHni  Bitcoin stuff on my OneDrive
My RPC CoinControl for any coin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=929954
Some stuff on https://github.com/Rav3nPL/
tucenaber

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 08:04:59 AM

I would think you're better off making p2pool not roll ntime and leave it to the mining software.
I'm basically with this, but I'm not sure how to achieve it. There seem to be no consensus on what expire=10 actually means.

I guess (and it is just a guess after looking at the code) the reason p2pool does it this way is because two different miners must be given unique work, and the way it does it - since the merkle root is the same - is by giving 10 second timstamp intervals to work on, assuming the expire=10 makes the miner ask for more instead of rolling past 10 seconds. This assumption is false though, which is the problem.

Now with miners rolling on their own, the load on the server would be smaller but since each miner will be working on the exact same work, the clashes will return in a different form, if you have more than one miner connected. Not a good solution...

One simple way to avoid the latter is to have unique payment addresses for each miner. That would make the merkle roots diffferent, right? Then we could do it the ckolivas way and everybody lives happily ever after Smiley

Forrest can give a better explanation of this, tho.
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 10:51:43 AM

Anyhoooo...

M
However, what this is saying is that your p2pool can't handle a local miner without roll-n-time
So I'd guess your p2pool setup is very slow or has poor network connectivity to your miner since it really should be a local miner talking to a local p2pool and that REALLY should be fast?!?

You'd think that's what it means, but I don't think it's hardware related.  My local workstation is running at 2.2ghz with 8gig memory.  Not low on resources, it doesn't thrash the swap file.  Connected via 1gb switch, then to a 1mb switch.  The "not providing work fast enough" comes after the "server requested work restart message".  If there's a delay, it's p2pool getting work from somewhere, I don't think it's my workstation.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
forrestv (OP)

Activity: 516
Merit: 643

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 03:03:48 PM

I'm basically with this, but I'm not sure how to achieve it. There seem to be no consensus on what expire=10 actually means.

I guess (and it is just a guess after looking at the code) the reason p2pool does it this way is because two different miners must be given unique work, and the way it does it - since the merkle root is the same - is by giving 10 second timstamp intervals to work on, assuming the expire=10 makes the miner ask for more instead of rolling past 10 seconds. This assumption is false though, which is the problem.

Now with miners rolling on their own, the load on the server would be smaller but since each miner will be working on the exact same work, the clashes will return in a different form, if you have more than one miner connected. Not a good solution...

I think the best solution is increasing the increment that P2Pool does from 12 to something huge (100?) is best. Roll-Ntime helps a lot because it lets the mining software generate enough work to feed all the GPUs with the single long poll response that P2Pool sends. P2Pool rolling the timestamp itself also helps a lot because it lets P2Pool not regenerate the merkle root which (at least now) is relatively slow, so P2Pool can broadcast the same work to every miner daemon that you have without having to regenerate it, which especially helps latency on long polls.

I doubt that any miner is ever going to roll the timestamp more than 100 seconds (this would only happen if they have more than 100 GPUs, I think?), so this preserves the benefits of rolling the timestamp in both ways. Adding a sanity check that warns if miners are rolling >90 seconds would let us know if there's anything wrong with this.

1J1zegkNSbwX4smvTdoHSanUfwvXFeuV23
tucenaber

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 04:06:39 PM

I think the best solution is increasing the increment that P2Pool does from 12 to something huge (100?) is best. Roll-Ntime helps a lot because it lets the mining software generate enough work to feed all the GPUs with the single long poll response that P2Pool sends. P2Pool rolling the timestamp itself also helps a lot because it lets P2Pool not regenerate the merkle root which (at least now) is relatively slow, so P2Pool can broadcast the same work to every miner daemon that you have without having to regenerate it, which especially helps latency on long polls.

I doubt that any miner is ever going to roll the timestamp more than 100 seconds (this would only happen if they have more than 100 GPUs, I think?), so this preserves the benefits of rolling the timestamp in both ways. Adding a sanity check that warns if miners are rolling >90 seconds would let us know if there's anything wrong with this.

That sounds like a hack to me Wink  How about miner specific addresses? Would that solve the problem, and if so why is it a bad idea?
Wouldn't you want to distort the block timestamp as little as possible?
forrestv (OP)

Activity: 516
Merit: 643

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 05:21:12 PM

That sounds like a hack to me Wink  How about miner specific addresses? Would that solve the problem, and if so why is it a bad idea?
Wouldn't you want to distort the block timestamp as little as possible?

Having different addresses forces the generation transaction and merkle root to be regenerated, with all the latency that that creates. It's equivalent to simply removing P2Pool's timestamp rolling and leaving X-Roll-Ntime in.

The block timestamps aren't very important - as long as they're centered around the correct time and within the bounds of Bitcoin's protocol rules, you can change them as much as you like. They're only really used by Bitcoin to recalculate the difficulty every 2016 blocks, and small changes won't affect that.

1J1zegkNSbwX4smvTdoHSanUfwvXFeuV23
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 11:58:51 PM

I changed mine to 100.  It significantly decreased the amount of dupe messages, but I still get them here and there.

M

Pages: « 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 ... 814 »
  Print  

Jump to: