Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:11:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 417 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OS] nvOC easy-to-use Linux Nvidia Mining  (Read 417956 times)
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 03:20:39 PM

Hi,

Firstly I'd just like to say, great job I really appreciate the time you put into this and thanks for sharing.

I'm having an issue where I can't get the cards to overclock, smi reports that the powerlimit is set as wanted at 165 through OneBash but the draw wattage just doesn't move just stays stuck around 150w. Clock and memory is set as per your guidance +100 core, +600 mem.

Board is ASUS H270 Prime Plus with 6 x EVGA GTX1070 SC, dual mining ETH+SC

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated, loving the plug and play aspect of it, will really help with getting some friends going.

Thanks!

Sometimes, especially with initial boot; a powerlimit will not set as intended.  This may be due to using a slow usb, dos2unix taking longer than expected to close, or Ubuntu installing security updates.  It is also possible to set a powerlimit that is outside of the cards acceptable range for a powerlimit; in which case it will not implement any powerlimit dispite displaying the command.

To manually implement a powerlimit:

Press f12 to open the guake terminal; if cpuminer is running open another tab or press ctrl + c to stop the process and enter:

sudo nvidia-smi -pl 165

you will then be prompted for the password: miner1

this should attempt to implement the command for each card.  You will see a message for each card listing its previous powerlimit and its new one.  If you have selected a powerlimit that is outside of the acceptable range smi will indicate this.

Generally if you are having trouble with oneBash implementing a powerlimit: I recommend changing:

INDIVIDUAL_POWERLIMIT="YES"

in addition to:

POWERLIMIT="YES"

and then ensuring you enter the desired wattage for the global powerlimit and each of your cards individual powerlimits.

Even with a slow usb this should ensure the proper setting of a powerlimit.

Thanks. I sorted the issue just need to be a bit more aggressive with the memory overclock, stable on all rigs @ 1100 and some rigs at 1200. Interestingly the power levels still aren't moving, staying at stock for Dual Mining ETH+SIA, power limit does appear to have applied itself though.

Any scope of updating the image to Claymore 9.5? Just out of interest, how many rigs are you operating?

Again, great project, be happy to help if I can at all.

I can add Claymore 9.5; when it was first released I tried it with questionable results: so I didn't update.  I can add it to the next version.  I will make a selection switch in oneBash to choose what version of Claymore you want to use.

I have been at power ceiling for a while now  Angry

I have 19 rigs; hopefully I will have more powerspace soon and will be able to put my stockpile of test mobos and CPUs to use.

Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cvitanihc0011

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 03:35:53 PM

This looks nice so far .
I have a GTX 1070 Gaming X with Micron memory.  Anybody knows how much I can push these in Linux ?
In windows I can get them between 30-31 but only if Claymore is already running . If i want to start it with mem oc +600 it crashes

On nvOC is see that my Mh/s is lower it I oc mem to +600. I get around 28mh ... lower then for same settings in Win . Am I doing something wrong ?
Thanks !

I don't have a Gaming X 1070; but some 1070s will OC stability up to 1100.  I have noticed that the OC offsets don't have the same results in linux as in windows; you should have to OC a little higher in linux to have the same result.  However you should also be able to OC higher in linux for this same reason.

When using Ethash, setting the mc OC too high will most likely result in a Claymore soft crash.  Setting the cc OC too high will most likely crash the system.  I would keep bumping up the mc OC by 100 until you get a Claymore soft crash.  Then reduce it by 50, and see if it is ok.  If not down another 50. 

Thanks!
So far I'm at 1100 mem OC and 150 cc - 30mh and 135 power limit
                  1100 mem OC and 150 cc - 30.145mh 100 power limit . ?!
Haven't messed with anything else .
For AMD ... lowering the core didn't lower the mh ... it reduced the consumption also it didn't help much to increase it .  How are things for these 10x0 models ?
Do you accept donations ? Smiley

Bothebu

Activity: 81
Merit: 15

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 04:30:49 PM

This looks nice so far .
I have a GTX 1070 Gaming X with Micron memory.  Anybody knows how much I can push these in Linux ?
In windows I can get them between 30-31 but only if Claymore is already running . If i want to start it with mem oc +600 it crashes

On nvOC is see that my Mh/s is lower it I oc mem to +600. I get around 28mh ... lower then for same settings in Win . Am I doing something wrong ?
Thanks !

I don't have a Gaming X 1070; but some 1070s will OC stability up to 1100.  I have noticed that the OC offsets don't have the same results in linux as in windows; you should have to OC a little higher in linux to have the same result.  However you should also be able to OC higher in linux for this same reason.

When using Ethash, setting the mc OC too high will most likely result in a Claymore soft crash.  Setting the cc OC too high will most likely crash the system.  I would keep bumping up the mc OC by 100 until you get a Claymore soft crash.  Then reduce it by 50, and see if it is ok.  If not down another 50.  

I tried ETH with a 6x zotac 1070 mini rig; for short term at least this was the highest stable setting: cc+200, mc+1100, powerlimit 125 (because more power did not generate more hash).

I noticed too that CC does very little with other hash on Eth, while memory does a lot more.

Also are you mining ZEC right now instead? Do you have some numbers on your 1070's? I was averaging around 440sol/s each.

I am mining with MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X.  Using MSI Afterburner.

CC does very little for me on ETH.

Currently in Windows 10.  Using MSI Afterburner I can boost to +800 on mc if claymore is already started.  I have seen it run for hours and also fail a lot with this setting, so I stopped it.  I am currently set to +715 mc and it will boot into claymore okay.  Occasional soft fail, but usually cause i was messing around with something.  Mainly if I plug in a monitor or turn one on it can fail.  If I just leave it alone with no monitor it stays going.  Current is 30.9 M/H per card in a 6 rig configure.  Slightly lower in my 5 rig, because I have an issue with one card, need to update BIOS on that mobo.  Both rigs using MSI Z270-A Pro mobo.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 04:51:59 PM

This looks nice so far .
I have a GTX 1070 Gaming X with Micron memory.  Anybody knows how much I can push these in Linux ?

Thanks !

I don't have a Gaming X 1070; but some 1070s will OC stability up to 1100.  I have noticed that the OC offsets don't have the same results in linux as in windows; you should have to OC a little higher in linux to have the same result.  However you should also be able to OC higher in linux for this same reason.

When using Ethash, setting the mc OC too high will most likely result in a Claymore soft crash.  Setting the cc OC too high will most likely crash the system.  I would keep bumping up the mc OC by 100 until you get a Claymore soft crash.  Then reduce it by 50, and see if it is ok.  If not down another 50. 

Thanks!
So far I'm at 1100 mem OC and 150 cc - 30mh and 135 power limit
                  1100 mem OC and 150 cc - 30.145mh 100 power limit . ?!
Haven't messed with anything else .
For AMD ... lowering the core didn't lower the mh ... it reduced the consumption also it didn't help much to increase it .  How are things for these 10x0 models ?
Do you accept donations ? Smiley

The opt cc for Ethash is dependent on what your model 1070 stock clock setting is (some are lower, some higher so the optimal offset is different for each).

In general lots of core OC will not help.

I will accept donations when this platform is more developed. 

For now you can mine for me if you want; but I what I would really like is for you to tell everyone you know about Crypto and help it go mainstream faster.  Smiley

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 05:01:36 PM

This looks nice so far .
I have a GTX 1070 Gaming X with Micron memory.  Anybody knows how much I can push these in Linux ?

Thanks !

I don't have a Gaming X 1070; but some 1070s will OC stability up to 1100.  I have noticed that the OC offsets don't have the same results in linux as in windows; you should have to OC a little higher in linux to have the same result.  However you should also be able to OC higher in linux for this same reason.

When using Ethash, setting the mc OC too high will most likely result in a Claymore soft crash.  Setting the cc OC too high will most likely crash the system.  I would keep bumping up the mc OC by 100 until you get a Claymore soft crash.  Then reduce it by 50, and see if it is ok.  If not down another 50.  

I tried ETH with a 6x zotac 1070 mini rig; for short term at least this was the highest stable setting: cc+200, mc+1100, powerlimit 125 (because more power did not generate more hash).

I noticed too that CC does very little with other hash on Eth, while memory does a lot more.

Also are you mining ZEC right now instead? Do you have some numbers on your 1070's? I was averaging around 440sol/s each.

Currently in Windows 10.  Using MSI Afterburner I can boost to +800 on mc if claymore is already started.  I have seen it run for hours and also fail a lot with this setting, so I stopped it.  I am currently set to +715 mc and it will boot into claymore okay.  Occasional soft fail, but usually cause i was messing around with something.  Mainly if I plug in a monitor or turn one on it can fail.  If I just leave it alone with no monitor it stays going.  Current is 30.9 M/H per card in a 6 rig configure.  Slightly lower in my 5 rig, because I have an issue with one card, need to update BIOS on that mobo.  Both rigs using MSI Z270-A Pro mobo.

You can use the OC after building the DAG trick with linux as well; it is possible to get a 1070 up to 33 MH/s with that trick if you use the right Old drivers and Old Claymore version.

Unless you want to babysit a rig; I don't recommend doing this. 

It is inherently unstable ( what I call OC type 2 ) see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1854250.msg19313060#msg19313060

Bothebu

Activity: 81
Merit: 15

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 05:11:37 PM

This looks nice so far .

Thanks !

You can use the OC after building the DAG trick with linux as well; it is possible to get a 1070 up to 33 MH/s with that trick if you use the right Old drivers and Old Claymore version.

It is inherently unstable ( what I call OC type 2 ) see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1854250.msg19313060#msg19313060

I have no desire to babysit.  I am seeking the highest level that is stable (as everyone is).  My one BIG issue is when I get a soft failure occasionally I lose the MC setting on the card that caused the failure and it reverts to zero.  So the M/H rate drops to about 25.5 on that one card.  If I go into Afterburner it shows default settings for the card.  Not sure if this is caused by the nVidia driver, I am using 382.05, is there a better older driver I should be using?  I am unsure about the switch to nvOC.  I have so much time invested in current setup that I hate to start over and relearn.  Although I do like a challenge.
rabbitr32

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 05:25:37 PM

some of my rigs mine 12 hours straight no issue. some after 1 hour the terminal seems lags and hashrates dropped significantly. until i close the terminal. all smooth. without restarting the ubuntu, gpu wont apply OC saying failed to applied or something and the lags begins.

tried lower down the oc on core and mem did not help. it seems like a random freeze/lags issue happening. if GPU failure the watchdog of claymore works fine. something its still hashing, just real slow because of the lags and watchdog wont kick in.

any idea?
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 05:30:35 PM

This looks nice so far .

Thanks !

I have no desire to babysit.  I am seeking the highest level that is stable (as everyone is).  My one BIG issue is when I get a soft failure occasionally I lose the MC setting on the card that caused the failure and it reverts to zero.  So the M/H rate drops to about 25.5 on that one card.  If I go into Afterburner it shows default settings for the card.  Not sure if this is caused by the nVidia driver, I am using 382.05, is there a better older driver I should be using?  I am unsure about the switch to nvOC.  I have so much time invested in current setup that I hate to start over and relearn.  Although I do like a challenge.

If you do try nvOC; I would keep your Windows install. 

I recommend imaging nvOC to a USB key: either one of the Lexar's I recommend or a fast 32gb of another brand.

This way you can either disconnect your SSD or HDD with Windows or use the appropriate keys for your mobo to open the boot menu at poweron; and select the USB as the boot device.  You would still have your Windows install if you decide you like it better; or need to use Windows for some other reason.

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 05:32:44 PM

some of my rigs mine 12 hours straight no issue. some after 1 hour the terminal seems lags and hashrates dropped significantly. until i close the terminal. all smooth. without restarting the ubuntu, gpu wont apply OC saying failed to applied or something and the lags begins.

tried lower down the oc on core and mem did not help. it seems like a random freeze/lags issue happening. if GPU failure the watchdog of claymore works fine. something its still hashing, just real slow because of the lags and watchdog wont kick in.

any idea?

What are you mining?

What kind of risers are you using?

How are the risers powered?

What mobo, CPU, GPUs are you using?
Nexillus

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 06:00:43 PM

I have two identical 6 x Zotac 1070 Mini rigs -- exactly the same config.

Upgraded now to nvoc v15 and works nicely on MSI Z270-A-PRO motherboard, i3-7100 CPU and 4GB RAM, 32GB USB3 Sandisk Cruzer Glide

Mining ZEC at Nicehash at 440-ish sols per card.

+200/+1100/165 PL

1100watts from the wall

The issue is not an issue but a strange observation....

The network port of the mobo on the 1st rig is amber/green... which is normal for a gigabit connection.

However the 2nd rig, is amber/amber.... which I think is 100base instead on gigabit/1000base

Both rigs do hash well, ranges from 2400-2800sols, nothing strange I think.

Anyone encountered a similar case?

Anybody tried to convert a similar rig like this for ETH mining? Any good?

Currently doing ETH on 6x Gigabyte 1070s getting about 181-182 mh/s or about 30mh/s with 710watts from the wall on a Asus prime 270a with the current nvOC 15.
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 06:07:09 PM

Upgraded now to nvoc v15 and works nicely on MSI Z270-A-PRO motherboard, i3-7100 CPU and 4GB RAM, 32GB USB3 Sandisk Cruzer Glide

+200/+1100/165 PL

1100watts from the wall

The network port of the mobo on the 1st rig is amber/green... which is normal for a gigabit connection.

However the 2nd rig, is amber/amber.... which I think is 100base instead on gigabit/1000base

Currently doing ETH on 6x Gigabyte 1070s getting about 181-182 mh/s or about 30mh/s with 710watts from the wall on a Asus prime 270a with the current nvOC 15.

710watts is very impressive! I think better than 6 x RX470 at 1000watts and 28MHs per card

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
Nexillus

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 06:14:31 PM

+200/+1100/165 PL

1100watts from the wall

710watts is very impressive! I think better than 6 x RX470 at 1000watts and 28MHs per card

Did a lot of tuning but the GV-N1070WF2OC-8GD can do some nice mem over clocks. Currently running -50cc and +1300 memory. Also have them power limited at 110watts per card. Going to be seeing if I can get it down to 105 watts per card. Would be a drop of 30 watts between the 6 cards.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 06:20:07 PM

+200/+1100/165 PL

1100watts from the wall

Did a lot of tuning but the GV-N1070WF2OC-8GD can do some nice mem over clocks. Currently running -50cc and +1300 memory. Also have them power limited at 110watts per card. Going to be seeing if I can get it down to 105 watts per card. Would be a drop of 30 watts between the 6 cards.

If I remember correctly @ 680 watts is the optimal efficiency setting for 1070s mining Ethash.  Right now with these exchange rates I would use more power to get the extra 0.5 - 1 MH/s more per card to get the most out of the cards. 

Nexillus you seem to have the OPT settings.  I will definitely try them out next time I switch a 1070 to Ethash.     Grin

cvitanihc0011

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 06:25:34 PM

I managed to put this only on one USB stick without problems.
Other 2 I get an write error at around 90% or so and now I can only see in windows the 8mb partition .
One is a usb 3.0 stick and one random.
The one that works is 3.0 also but they are all different brands

Any way to format these sticks again ? In win i can see the other part of the stick in disk manager but i have it as unalocated space if I format it .

Thanks!
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 06:32:25 PM

Other 2 I get an write error at around 90% or so and now I can only see in windows the 8mb partition .

Any way to format these sticks again ? In win i can see the other part of the stick in disk manager but i have it as unalocated space if I format it .

Thanks!

You can always re image a usb with hddrawcopy; regardless of what partitions / formatting it has to begin with.

If when you use hddrawccopy it indicates your USB is 15.5gb or larger; you will have an error at the end of imaging: but the USB should still work.

If hddrawcopy says your USB key is less than 15.5gb; it isn't going to work.
citronick
Legendary

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 06:47:19 PM

switched to ssh because I wanted to a quick way to edit the onebash file and test the rig on various clocks.

I am used to the nano editor so...

root@m1-desktop:/home/m1# nano /media/m1/1263-A96E/oneBash

do the changes

root@m1-desktop:/home/m1# sudo reboot

after reboot, ssh into again

how do I get the mining console?

root@m1-desktop:/home/m1# screen -x m1

doesn't get me anything

Have had the same problem, couldn't get it to work by default.
The 2unix is made autostart, and can't be reached with screen or tmux because of it probably.

Have had to change things to oneBash, but because of that an auto restart of oneBash is not possible anymore. At least I wasn't able to get it done..

So if I got the situation right; currently you have:

SSHed into rig

opened oneBash on that rig with nano:

Code:
nano '/media/m1/1263-A96E/oneBash'

made changes / edits; then ctrl + shift + X to quit selecting Y to save changes

the next part is this:

Find the currently running GPU mining process. 

We will do this by finding the gnome-terminal process.

Code:
ps aux | grep gnome-terminal

this should list 2 processes: we are interested in the first one which ends in /gnome-terminal-server

note its pid ( should be a 4 digit number at the beginning of the process listing; but may be more than 4 digits )

type:

Code:
kill pid

where pid is the 4 or higher digit number; so if the pid was 2037  I would use:

Code:
kill 2037

now we have stopped the GPU mining process

as we have already changed oneBash we will now restart the GPU mining process

to do this we enter:

Code:
gnome-terminal

and now we have remote modified the nvOC rig  Wink

got it and success!

so how do I see the EWBF in action?

Can I see the mining screen from ssh?

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
cvitanihc0011

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 06:47:33 PM

Thanks!

You can always re image a usb with hddrawcopy; regardless of what partitions / formatting it has to begin with.

If when you use hddrawccopy it indicates your USB is 15.5gb or larger; you will have an error at the end of imaging: but the USB should still work.

If hddrawcopy says your USB key is less than 15.5gb; it isn't going to work.
Ah oki
Its working.
The stick that worked without error was a 32gb one . The rest are 16gb
Running 7gpu on a msi z170a gaming m5 without issues . I'll try 8gpu .
Teamviewer connection works fine also .
Thanks for your support again
Nexillus

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 07:09:49 PM

+200/+1100/165 PL

1100watts from the wall

If I remember correctly @ 680 watts is the optimal efficiency setting for 1070s mining Ethash.  Right now with these exchange rates I would use more power to get the extra 0.5 - 1 MH/s more per card to get the most out of the cards. 

Nexillus you seem to have the OPT settings.  I will definitely try them out next time I switch a 1070 to Ethash.     Grin

Right there with you on this one. I have a methodology of optimizing it as much as possible. But right now with the rates can kinda throw it out the window a bit lmao. The testing I did varying the power draw with ETH really you will only get 1MH/s out of it with a lot more draw. Going above 125 watts per card did almost nothing but draw a lot more power lmao.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 07:24:40 PM

switched to ssh because I wanted to a quick way to edit the onebash file and test the rig on various clocks.

do the changes

doesn't get me anything

The 2unix is made autostart, and can't be reached with screen or tmux because of it probably.

Have had to change things to oneBash, but because of that an auto restart of oneBash is not possible anymore. At least I wasn't able to get it done..

SSHed into rig

Code:

the next part is this:

Code:

this should list 2 processes: we are interested in the first one which ends in /gnome-terminal-server

note its pid ( should be a 4 digit number at the beginning of the process listing; but may be more than 4 digits )

type:

Code:
kill pid

Code:
kill 2037

to do this we enter:

Code:
gnome-terminal

got it and success!

tell me if this works:

If you want to use screen

after killing the gnome-terminal process; start it with this cmd:

Code:
screen -m -t window_name_here gnome-terminal

citronick
Legendary

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 07:34:47 PM

do the changes

doesn't get me anything

SSHed into rig

Code:

the next part is this:

Code:

type:

Code:
kill pid

Code:
kill 2037

to do this we enter:

Code:
gnome-terminal

got it and success!

tell me if this works:

If you want to use screen

after killing the gnome-terminal process; start it with this cmd:

Code:
screen -m -t window_name_here gnome-terminal

keyed in:

screen -m -t 2044 gnome-terminal

2044 being the PID (I dont think this is correct)

where do find the window name?

anyways.... error msg "[screen is terminating]"

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 417 »
  Print  

Jump to: