Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:14:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 [895] 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 ... 1154 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [4+ EH] Slush Pool (slushpool.com); Overt AsicBoost; World First Mining Pool  (Read 4381779 times)
bozo333

Activity: 742
Merit: 255

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 02:34:19 PM

Sometimes I worry about the environmental impact caused by mining.

Every time a disruptive mining technology enters the market, the mining equipment the rest of us holds gradually becomes useless and ends up in landfill a couple of years later.  There's probably already tens of thousands of PCBs in landfill from us already.  x86 or ARM-based motherboards can be re-purposed some of the time, but these ASIC boards cannot.

It's like musical chairs. The last one has no place to sit...ie has a worthless piece of hardware. Food chain works like this:

Mining hardware manufacturer first mines his own cutting edge tech for 2 months
Then sells machines to general public as 'new'
Miners mine for 2-3 months if smart and then sell while the get more for the hardware than the machines can make mining
Low man on totem pole mines for months and (maybe) figures out he now has a worthless hunk of metal
end of story.

Of course, the game changer would be if BTC all of a sudden doubled or more in value.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 03:04:07 PM

Every time a disruptive mining technology enters the market, the mining equipment the rest of us holds gradually becomes useless and ends up in landfill a couple of years later.  There's probably already tens of thousands of PCBs in landfill from us already.  x86 or ARM-based motherboards can be re-purposed some of the time, but these ASIC boards cannot.
Mmmmm not quote. You ever been to a computer hardware recycling center? They strip those machines apart, and reuse almost everything out of them. The plastics get melted and reused. The copper gets stripped and reused. The wire insulation gets ground up and repurposed. The silicone gets ground up and recycled. About 98% of any piece of electronics (phones,tvs,computers,miners,etc) are made up of the same dozen or so materials. Why would we dump all of those materials into a landfill, and then mine the earth for more?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
bigbitmine

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Big Bit Mine

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 03:52:56 PM

Well, this isn't really pool related but I'm offering to UK pool members.  I'm going to give away my last S1 soon when my next pair of S3's arrive.  I'm keeping the power supply because it can power 2 S3.

I'm in Berkshire.  I will not post it.  If someone wants it when I'm done they're welcome to come and collect it.

Thanks.

hennessyhemp

Activity: 511
Merit: 500

Hempire Loading...

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 04:07:20 PM

I think it's up to us to lessen the impact on the environment...and as mining operations get more massive, I foresee solar, wind, and
hydro generation as a necessity.  In fact, that will fast become the most profitable kind of mining operation because you're not only
mining bitcoin, but also electricity, which will mean in the future bitcoin mining operations will probably be closely linked with energy
generation as a matter of necessity.

In this way, I'd say Bitcoin is a hell of a lot greener than oil, and inspires progress in "green" technology, rather than raping our planet
for it.

Please add more BTC here (my son will apprecciate it when he's older): 14WsxbeRcgsSYZyNSRJqEAmB1MKAzHhsCT
kkurtmann

Activity: 475
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 04:59:01 PM

I think it's up to us to lessen the impact on the environment...and as mining operations get more massive, I foresee solar, wind, and
hydro generation as a necessity.  In fact, that will fast become the most profitable kind of mining operation because you're not only
mining bitcoin, but also electricity, which will mean in the future bitcoin mining operations will probably be closely linked with energy

In this way, I'd say Bitcoin is a hell of a lot greener than oil, and inspires progress in "green" technology, rather than raping our planet
for it.

Good post from a forward thinking individual.

https://www.buytrezor.com?a=55c37b866c11   well sir, I like it!
thehairymob

Activity: 152
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 05:08:42 PM

for it.

Only of concern to those who believe in made made global warming, which I don't. Yes the planet is going through a warming cycle as it has in the past but this is nature at work. To think man is able to control the planet or even have more than a slight effect upon it is really rather big headed. Humankind isn't that great after one small volcanic eruption throws up more CO2 in a day than man can throw out in ten years. A medium one can cause a volcanic winter that last decades. Yeah we could nuke ourselves into extinction along with most other life form on the planet but the earth would heal and carry on without us, without as much as a blink. Smiley As you can tell I don't work about carbon footprints I leave behind. And no I don't have a car and I work minimal wage so mining is a chance to dream. Of course in the morning like most dreams I still have to get up and make a living, hehehe Cheesy
hennessyhemp

Hempire Loading...

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 06:07:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q

Lessening or completely re-working our current energy strategy may in fact stave off large volcanic events because when the planet is healthy, it doesn't need to destroy the lecherous beings that have infected it (obviously I said "may" because it of course "may not").

Interestingly, I foresee hemp as being the number one component to inhabiting and colonizing planets that are not our own, as you could create a sort of self-replicating farm using hemp as a building material, food source, oil for engines, and a whole lot more.  Hemp nanotechnology is just getting started and supercapacitors are already being made that beat graphene for the same purpose.  

Green tech is not only the logical progression, it's capable of filling all of our wallets thousands of times over as early innovators in the space.

The republicans loved me when I was lobbying for hemp at the Capitol in Illinois, saying I wouldn't like them because they were from the wrong side of the fence...I replied that doesn't bother me...all I have to do is show you boys the money...hemp is bipartisan and multinational.

I keep daydreaming about a solar cell (made from hemp nanotubes), charging a hemp supercapacitor battery system which runs my mining rigs (which are also now printed on hemp circuit boards using special hemp microchips).  The craziest part is that all these technologies already exist, but are not yet scaled for production...that's up to us.

Please add more BTC here (my son will apprecciate it when he's older): 14WsxbeRcgsSYZyNSRJqEAmB1MKAzHhsCT
mstrongbow

Activity: 322

3D Printed!

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 07:03:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q

Lessening or completely re-working our current energy strategy may in fact stave off large volcanic events because when the planet is healthy, it doesn't need to destroy the lecherous beings that have infected it (obviously I said "may" because it of course "may not").

Interestingly, I foresee hemp as being the number one component to inhabiting and colonizing planets that are not our own, as you could create a sort of self-replicating farm using hemp as a building material, food source, oil for engines, and a whole lot more.  Hemp nanotechnology is just getting started and supercapacitors are already being made that beat graphene for the same purpose.  

Green tech is not only the logical progression, it's capable of filling all of our wallets thousands of times over as early innovators in the space.

The republicans loved me when I was lobbying for hemp at the Capitol in Illinois, saying I wouldn't like them because they were from the wrong side of the fence...I replied that doesn't bother me...all I have to do is show you boys the money...hemp is bipartisan and multinational.

I keep daydreaming about a solar cell (made from hemp nanotubes), charging a hemp supercapacitor battery system which runs my mining rigs (which are also now printed on hemp circuit boards using special hemp microchips).  The craziest part is that all these technologies already exist, but are not yet scaled for production...that's up to us.

Sadly it won't be until BIG OIL (petro), BIG PHARMA (pharmaceuticals) and BIG FARM (GMO farmers) ALL decide that they should use HEMP for production as they are the ones controlling the lawmakers. Peope can deny ALL they like but it's the truth.

Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com       Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets        Provably Fair   
*Got LootCrate?*
*My Stuff For Sale thread/s*   www.CryptoCause.org   Ask me about SEGMining Hosting!
"Don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible" - Edwin Land
hennessyhemp

Hempire Loading...

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 08:56:10 PM

While I certainly get that the industry was usurped long ago by several monopolies, it is still up to us as individuals to put our money where our mouth is, literally by buying products you support.

It seems overly simplistic to think that you can change the world with your breakfast cereal choice...but the truth is you can.  Create a demand for the hemp market by buying hemp...the farmers will provide whatever is most profitable to farm...stop buying GMO corn and start buying hemp.

In other news...this is my first couple days on Slush...looks like I missed the 300% surge.  Are there multiple server addresses I should be listing for slush (like two different servers for the same worker), or does it try to optimize my connection to the closest node?  I know with some pools I've had it listed on both their east and west servers just in case the closer one goes down.

thehairymob

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 09:27:17 PM

I'd rather smoke the hemp, hehehe Grin
mstrongbow

3D Printed!

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 09:31:27 PM

While I certainly get that the industry was usurped long ago by several monopolies, it is still up to us as individuals to put our money where our mouth is, literally by buying products you support.

It seems overly simplistic to think that you can change the world with your breakfast cereal choice...but the truth is you can.  Create a demand for the hemp market by buying hemp...the farmers will provide whatever is most profitable to farm...stop buying GMO corn and start buying hemp.

In other news...this is my first couple days on Slush...looks like I missed the 300% surge.  Are there multiple server addresses I should be listing for slush (like two different servers for the same worker), or does it try to optimize my connection to the closest node?  I know with some pools I've had it listed on both their east and west servers just in case the closer one goes down.

I would ping each address and choose the fastest responding one for your workers. Welcome to the slush pool!

Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com       Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets        Provably Fair   
*Got LootCrate?*
*My Stuff For Sale thread/s*   www.CryptoCause.org   Ask me about SEGMining Hosting!
"Don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible" - Edwin Land
mstrongbow

3D Printed!

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 09:48:11 PM

On another note...I predict the pool will find a few blocks starting in the next hour or so as I will be taking most of my miners offline while I transport them to their new "home"  Grin found a local hosting provider with rates cheaper than I can run them myself!

*Got LootCrate?*
Fento

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 10:29:36 PM

I'm in an apartment with a fixed rate for utilities so my 22GH/s don't cost me a thing..!   Grin
hennessyhemp

Hempire Loading...

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 10:32:46 PM

I would ping each address and choose the fastest responding one for your workers. Welcome to the slush pool!

That's what I do, I'm just wondering if there is a list of servers...I haven't found it yet if there is...just mining.bitcoin.cz:3333

mstrongbow

3D Printed!

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 10:50:26 PM

That's what I do, I'm just wondering if there is a list of servers...I haven't found it yet if there is...just mining.bitcoin.cz:3333

Yeah I just double checked, not many choices but I've been mining on slush since this spring, awesomest pool!

*Got LootCrate?*
mstrongbow

3D Printed!

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 02:23:14 AM

Saturday Night's Alright!!!!!!  ^ Hey mstrongbow, did u get your miners moved and hashing again?

Sure did bro! I was surprised how quick they were hashing...basically within an hour of returning home they were reporting back on the pool dashboard, stoked!

*Got LootCrate?*
66tbird

Activity: 62
Merit: 3

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 02:22:38 PM

for it.

Only of concern to those who believe in made made global warming, which I don't. Yes the planet is going through a warming cycle as it has in the past but this is nature at work. To think man is able to control the planet or even have more than a slight effect upon it is really rather big headed. Humankind isn't that great after one small volcanic eruption throws up more CO2 in a day than man can throw out in ten years. A medium one can cause a volcanic winter that last decades. Yeah we could nuke ourselves into extinction along with most other life form on the planet but the earth would heal and carry on without us, without as much as a blink. Smiley As you can tell I don't work about carbon footprints I leave behind. And no I don't have a car and I work minimal wage so mining is a chance to dream. Of course in the morning like most dreams I still have to get up and make a living, hehehe Cheesy

Some light reading from a very long list from a very short search. Science is my passion.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/volcanoes-and-global-warming.htm
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/archive/2007/07_02_15.html
thehairymob

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2014, 04:06:17 PM

for it.

Some light reading from a very long list from a very short search. Science is my passion.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/volcanoes-and-global-warming.htm
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/archive/2007/07_02_15.html

But no one seems to have the figures for dormant volcano of medium to large suddenly becoming active. How much damage did Krakatoa cause to the atmosphere in the 19th century? That is a medium volcano after all and was the cause of the "mini ice age" as it was called at the time. Even the Thames froze over in winter after that event. And what would Yellow Stone do to the environment if it went off? Human extinction? Big business and global warming = higher prices for energy. Sound like a great partnership.
Franklin16422

Activity: 30

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 07:00:12 PM

A slight bit off topic but an interesting article:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/25/gold-dealer-drops-credit-card-payments-for-bitcoin/
Hitmouse

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 08:47:34 PM

Am I calculating this right?  Huh

That the early part are 2015 it will no longer be cost effective to run miners based on the increasing difficulty. In other words varying costs of electricity and hardware will mean by March , April of 2015 most mining operations will be running in the red even with payed off miners and low cost electricity based on the current floating value index of bitcoins?

From what I have read there isn't any new miners / hardware that is capable of being cost effective when calculated against the upcoming difficulty.

I wonder what will happen to the HUGE cloud mining companies?

The only way I see mining continuing is a revolution in hardware and low cost electricity or massive price shift in bitcoins.

So whats next?

Pages: « 1 ... 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 [895] 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 ... 1154 »
  Print  

Jump to: