Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:42:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 [660] 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 ... 1154 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [4+ EH] Slush Pool (slushpool.com); Overt AsicBoost; World First Mining Pool  (Read 4381875 times)
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:47:44 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2013, 10:24:33 PM by Trongersoll

Finally broke that block... 12:40, ugh.

Now imagine you'd had mined that Block solo o.0
(personally, with my performance I wouldn't even live to see the day that block got solved :p )

It doesn't work that way. It didn't take that long to find a specific block, it took that long to find any block. Every time someone else finds a block, we start looking for a new block based on what they found. That's why we call that 12 hours a round, not a block.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bspurloc

Activity: 569
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 10:13:16 PM

Finally broke that block... 12:40, ugh.

Now imagine you'd had mined that Block solo o.0
(personally, with my performance I wouldn't even live to see the day that block got solved :p )

It doesn't work that way. It didn't take that long to find a specific, it took that long to find any block. Every time someone else finds a block, we start looking for a new block based on what they found. That's why we call that 12 hours a round, not a block.

Imagine the day people stop complaining about long blocks...
then imagine the day people stop asking "what gives"
then imagine... where is my payout? where slush at? why he still want 1 btc for a Trezor?!
Kasbtc

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:52:58 PM

Mining is slow and boring.  Gotta have something to talk about.  Cheesy
jmevz

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:56:16 PM

A 5 hour round on top of a 12 hour round, got to love that, don't we? I was going to do the lawn, but no, it's raining again. Realestate is demanding we mow, well guess what?  Roll Eyes

xZork

Activity: 1249
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:48:44 AM

It doesn't work that way. It didn't take that long to find a specific block, it took that long to find any block. Every time someone else finds a block, we start looking for a new block based on what they found. That's why we call that 12 hours a round, not a block.

So every time you see "stratum detected a new block" in the miner log would indicate that the hashing power is being spent on solving a block rather than looking for a new one? Unless someone solves that block first. But if you don't see a new block detected for a long while, the hashing power is being spent finding a new one?

How is hashing power divided between looking for new blocks vs solving, is there a ratio set by the pool operator depending on how many active blocks have been found?

-noob.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
Trongersoll

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:13:04 AM

So every time you see "stratum detected a new block" in the miner log would indicate that the hashing power is being spent on solving a block rather than looking for a new one? Unless someone solves that block first. But if you don't see a new block detected for a long while, the hashing power is being spent finding a new one?

How is hashing power divided between looking for new blocks vs solving, is there a ratio set by the pool operator depending on how many active blocks have been found?

-noob.

When you see "stratum detected a new block" it means that someone somewhere in the world found a solution for the current block and that a new block is now being worked on. Solving is looking for new blocks. Different names for the same thing.

The thing is that there is more than one right solution for any given block. All the pools and solo people use different inputs than every one else in hopes that their input will find the desired output. Say your hashrate is 5 Gh/s, that means you are checking 5 million different inputs every second looking for the one output that will complete the block.
xZork

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:27:30 AM

-noob.

When you see "stratum detected a new block" it means that someone somewhere in the world found a solution for the current block and that a new block is now being worked on. Solving is looking for new blocks. Different names for the same thing.

The thing is that there is more than one right solution for any given block. All the pools and solo people use different inputs than every one else in hopes that their input will find the desired output. Say your hashrate is 5 Gh/s, that means you are checking 5 million different inputs every second looking for the one output that will complete the block.

Ah, so there is only one active (known) block at a time that all miners are working to solve. Once that is solved, the answer leads to the next block? Also I was a bit thrown on the block vs round. I checked the wiki but will do some more looking.

Sorry if my questions are elementary, I am fairly new and I must say it is quite a lot to grasp. Thank you for taking the time out of your day.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
█████
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
kkurtmann

Activity: 475

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 06:30:03 AM

it definitely is "a lot to grasp" but all the info you are looking for has already been published. google it

https://www.buytrezor.com?a=55c37b866c11   well sir, I like it!
xZork

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 07:10:17 AM
Last edit: November 23, 2013, 08:46:58 AM by xZork

it definitely is "a lot to grasp" but all the info you are looking for has already been published. google it

I have googled a lot, read a lot, maybe I am just a simpleton.  Thanks for the constructive criticism.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
█████
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
jmevz

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 09:04:17 AM

What's with our luck lately?

Trongersoll

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 10:01:49 AM

-noob.

Ah, so there is only one active (known) block at a time that all miners are working to solve. Once that is solved, the answer leads to the next block? Also I was a bit thrown on the block vs round. I checked the wiki but will do some more looking.

Sorry if my questions are elementary, I am fairly new and I must say it is quite a lot to grasp. Thank you for taking the time out of your day.
Yes, you have got the blocks down. A round is how long it takes for the pool to find a block. If it took 10 hours for the pool to find a block, that is a 10 hour round. A lot of people will call that a 10 hour block, but that is confusing to new people.
jmevz

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 10:40:52 AM

-noob.

Yes, you have got the blocks down. A round is how long it takes for the pool to find a block. If it took 10 hours for the pool to find a block, that is a 10 hour round. A lot of people will call that a 10 hour block, but that is confusing to new people.

Let me see if I get this myself please? A block is worked on by the entire network and pools. Any pool or miner can solve the block, hence ending their round? Correct? Thus, our round continues until we solve one of these blocks? Hence the 'stratum detected new block?'

gourmet

Activity: 311

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:42:12 PM

I have googled a lot, read a lot, maybe I am just a simpleton.  Thanks for the constructive criticism.

Imagine everyone new in this forum were asking these questions...
BTW, these questions are off-topic in this thread, as they're quite general and not specific to Slush's pool.

[edit] These questions are best posted in the Newbies' section in fact.
gourmet

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:46:09 PM

5 billion :-)
Trongersoll

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 07:01:04 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2013, 01:34:46 AM by Trongersoll

5 billion :-)

oops, i just knew i was gonna mess that up. I even went over it in my head a few times and still typed it wrong. Tongue

When ever i answer questions here i feel like i'm back in college taking a test.
paulus51

Activity: 616
Merit: 321

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 08:46:58 PM

so i understand it so far but what happens wen my machine finds a block ?

wen i see in my account found blocks ...example 1

can some one explane this ? what are the rewards or .... tell me how does this work ?
gourmet

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 11:09:31 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2013, 11:02:09 PM by gourmet

can some one explane this ? what are the rewards or .... tell me how does this work ?

See this post several posts above...

At Slush's pool, you won't get any extra reward for finding a block. You can have a good feeling and can compare your reward with solo mining. :-)
ninthgate

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 11:23:52 PM

See this post several posts above...

At Slush's pool, you won't get any extra reward for finding a block. You can have a good feeling and can compare your reward with solo mining. :-)

well, the solving share would be higher, so you would see a little more.
xZork

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:06:01 AM

Today is making up for the last few. Loving it!

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
█████
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
TheWoodser

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:56:37 AM

-noob.

Let me see if I get this myself please? A block is worked on by the entire network and pools. Any pool or miner can solve the block, hence ending their round? Correct? Thus, our round continues until we solve one of these blocks? Hence the 'stratum detected new block?'

I hope to clear this once and for all...... There are multiple pools and solo miners all looking for a block.

If you go to the "Stats" page on the Slush's website.... The far left column is the "ROUND" ID Number....This is since the POOL found a block, not since there is a new block

If you look at the "Block #" column... That is the block on the network.  See how they skip a few?  That is because they were found by someone other than us (Slush's Pool)

Tip Jars:  BTC: 1J8y3SLzGoY2gLYScsbTZmUH7dW18J1q4S          LTC:  LMkJZ8yuwtVr57GLYZ1JRWstQTc29Cfrtn     Doge: D95sgyBbRz8xhsQMAPmACYfB8vKWUAGuTn 
Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=366385.0
Pages: « 1 ... 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 [660] 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 ... 1154 »
  Print  

Jump to: