Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:04:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 [671] 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 ... 1154 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [4+ EH] Slush Pool (slushpool.com); Overt AsicBoost; World First Mining Pool  (Read 4381779 times)
gourmet

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:36:46 AM

(...) but I think that "anti-pool" hopping routine is overly punishing Shares that come to the server just a few seconds late.

Rejecting shares that have come late for the work just finished (a block found either by us or by somebody else) has nothing to do with anti-hoping algorithm.

I mean when a round is i.e. 10 hours and I contributed @ full average speed for 9h 59m with the final shares somehow being a tad delayed (despite my GUIminers showing no evidence of any delay/problem whatsoever), that shouldn't be punished so hard.

So are your shares delayed or not? :-) Somehow... :-)))
BTW, do not use guiminer...

Just stopping miners (which ran days uninterrupted 24/7) for only 10 seconds (!) to change some settings is making the rewarded BTC taking a considerable and unproportional hit, IMHO that's not okay and making me considering to at least try other pools.
In the end results, their additional fees become insignificant when compared to the losses I see here everyday due to that extremely aggressive scoring/time vs. reward reduction routine :/

Do you think that you manage to always break your mining just before the round end for maintenace?
BTW, a 10 seconds may make some hit, but not a considerable one. The anti-hoping algorithm parametres had been even relaxed a bit lately AFAIK.
In most cases, when you break your mining for 10 seconds, it occures somewhere during the round. And the resulting hit will be negligible.
Tuning the settings is a rare occasion in normal operation. Pool fees OTOH are a regular all time cost.

Additionally because of being new around here, such events always leave a nagging doubt that this behaviour is systemic and intentionally scooping off small fractions of BTC Rewards per participant. No proof for that of course but the doubt remains (especially because now big money is involved every day), those repeating small issues don't quite reduce these doubts :/

Just my 2 cents from a low profile miner, I'd probably be much more unhappy if I had some big THash rigs rolling and seeing the same...

Just look into your own mouth. If something like that was going here, large miners would notice long time before you could. And if you are either unsatisfied with the scoring algorithm, or in doubt about the pool consistency, you really can consider joining another pool.

[edit]: typo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:54:46 AM

The usual reason for low payouts is down to the internet deciding to run slow.

My normal connection speed is approx 8meg

I can be watching an online film and the video is reporting 4.1meg. My miners are also working normally.

The video feed will suddenly freeze and report speeds of 0.1meg(slower than old dial up).  
If the freeze lasts more than a few mins and a block is found during the freeze time, then the payout for that block is low. My miners are still running apparently normally.

If I were to monitor the miner carefully at this time (very difficult with 80+ devices) I would probably see an increase in Reject and Stale results, but within a few mins this would be lost again in the background.

Slush is paying more for the freshest calculations and much less for the older results.
So if the hashes are not getting to the pool before the block is found, then they will not count towards the payout. (The pool thinks you are skipping).
Late arrivals are not counted.

I agree but I also think there is a chance "late arrivals" may very well count towards the next block. I will see a low payout and the next block sometimes will make up for it as I thought the late shares get credited towards it?

Quote from Slush's Pool:-

How does bitcoin pool work?

Our server gives users blocks of very low difficulty to solve. Each solution found is registered as one 'share'. Occasionally, a solution will happen to also meet the full-strength difficulty requirements of the Bitcoin network, resulting in a successful 25 BTC minting.

This 25 BTC is divided among all of the users that contributed to that round, weighted by the number of shares that they earned. Therefore, the reward earned by a given user is given by the following formula:

(25 BTC + block fees - 2% fee) * (shares found by user's workers) / (total shares in current round)
Shares do not carry over from one round to the next. When the pool mine a block, only users who worked on that block are rewarded, and only for work they did on that block. This is an unavoidable consequence of the way that Bitcoin mining in general works.

Late arrivals go in the bin
Thanks for posting... I was just going off what I see on my rewards. More times than not it just seems when I see a really low payout I will see a higher than normal one on the next block. So it must just be over observation on my part. 
miningfever

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 09:37:41 AM

Hi,

I just created a very simple script (php/mysql) to track my personal progress on the pool, fetching the data every 30 minutes. I want to use this for some detailed after the fact ROI analysis.
However, I noticed that not all fields that are visible on the stats page are provided in the JSON response from the API. Would it be possible to add these?

The fields I am interested in are the following (I am using the personalized API with an API token).

For blocks:
  • My Shares
  • Block value, including TX fees
  • The slush block number, although not really relevant I would like to add it just for reference purposes

For the pool itself:
  • The current difficulty

That would really help!

If anyone is interested in the script: currently it does absolutely nothing but fetch the data at a regular interval (cronjob), and it is by far the ugliest piece of code I have ever written (in 30 minutes) , but it does the job.
I'd be more than happy to share it with you if you want, but don't expect anything fancy just yet! Smiley
Sir Alan

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:35:16 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 12:48:26 PM by Sir Alan

I just created a very simple script (php/mysql) to track my personal progress on the pool, fetching the data every 30 minutes.
Another member - Sunriselad - beat you to it and created a utility to do most of this.  It's called Mine Minder, and includes the block values, pool hash rate, and current difficulty.  It also displays a current bitcoin value, but I do not know what the source is.  It does not include the Slush round number.  Apparently there is some difficulty in getting the individual shares per round into the feed.

I have my copy set to download every 300 seconds (5 minutes); I believe the default is much lower, which would seem to impose an unnecessary burden on the servers.

You should be able to find the relevant post on the forum.

[Edit] try post #8211 on page 411.  Discussion follows, and there is a later version than the one mentioned.

1Eeyore17YeHrbJW5Q3pSdV8sXujkdrrFc
n0name

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:13:49 PM

Hi everybody,

I used to mine some BTC back in 2011 on miningcz.
I tried to access to my account (n0name, same login as here) but it seems it's not working anymore.

Since the miningcz administrator might be somewhere in this topic, can he have a look and give me a feedback how i can have my account working ? (i try the online chat but i didnt get any answer)
dmcdad

Activity: 302

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:39:59 PM

21027 and 21033 need recalculations, my reward is halved again.

My reward for round 21027 is 1/100 of the usual one. But it has been confirmed already... :-(
+1 - The same here
+1 here as well.

So what is the story with how to get this resolved? I've sent an email, there are several posts here reporting the problem, and I've tried IRC. The actual BTC involved here is negligible, but it isn't confidence inspiring that these problems happen *and* then don't get resolved. Looks like slush hasn't logged in here in over a month. How is one supposed to file a support ticket request with him exactly?
miningfever

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:11:45 PM

Another member - Sunriselad - beat you to it and created a utility to do most of this.  It's called Mine Minder, and includes the block values, pool hash rate, and current difficulty.  It also displays a current bitcoin value, but I do not

Thanks for the info Sir Alan, but the program you are referring to requires windows. Although I do work on a windows workstation daily, it's not on 24/7 but I do have several linux VPS's running 24/7, which is why I wanted to use php/mysql. Also, I'm not sure if the windows app just shows live info, or actually collects and stores the data for later use. My intention is to store the info in my own database so I can use it to do long term ROI calculations. Something that tells me over a longer period of time what my daily revenue is, minus hardware costs etc etc. Kinda like the online calculators you can find everywhere, but then specific to my hardware, slush's pool, and not as a a forecast, but looking back.

Maybe a forecast would be a nice to have so that I can predict how much longer my hardware remains in the money, but I'll have to see how much time I'm willing to spend on this! Smiley

5120-01-518-6126

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

< My mining rig >

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:03:27 AM

Another member - Sunriselad - beat you to it and created a utility to do most of this.  It's called Mine Minder, and includes the block values, pool hash rate, and current difficulty.  It also displays a current bitcoin value, but I do not

Thanks for the info Sir Alan, but the program you are referring to requires windows. Although I do work on a windows workstation daily, it's not on 24/7 but I do have several linux VPS's running 24/7, which is why I wanted to use php/mysql. Also, I'm not sure if the windows app just shows live info, or actually collects and stores the data for later use. My intention is to store the info in my own database so I can use it to do long term ROI calculations. Something that tells me over a longer period of time what my daily revenue is, minus hardware costs etc etc. Kinda like the online calculators you can find everywhere, but then specific to my hardware, slush's pool, and not as a a forecast, but looking back.

Maybe a forecast would be a nice to have so that I can predict how much longer my hardware remains in the money, but I'll have to see how much time I'm willing to spend on this! Smiley

Well, if you don't mind writing ugly code <grin> then think this would be doable in a macro for calc (apache openoffice) to snap your html stats page every so often and extract data from new rounds since last query -- could also grab your account page to check on worker health.  Another macro to run the ROI stuff, another macro for any statistical analysis you might want to do, and a macro to merge current data into your mysql db if you decide not to keep it in calc.  This approach would also be more or less OS independent.
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:52:13 AM

One question:

Under "Payout History", my Total is 0.14; however, if you add all Amounts paid, it's 0.13. So, my question is, has anyone noticed it? Do your Total match Amounts paid?
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:56:08 AM

One question:

Under "Payout History", my Total is 0.14; however, if you add all Amounts paid, it's 0.13. So, my question is, has anyone noticed it? Do your Total match Amounts paid?

I suspect that it is just a rounding error induced by only using 2 decimal places.
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 01:37:00 AM

Thanks, Trongersoll! Always good to hear from a trusted source.
J_Dubbs

Activity: 322

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:13:00 AM

Slow day in the mines today, like watching paint dry zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We are overdue for a few short rounds...
Current C

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:22:26 AM

My reward for round 21027 is 1/100 of the usual one. But it has been confirmed already... :-(
+1 - The same here
+1 here as well.

So what is the story with how to get this resolved? I've sent an email, there are several posts here reporting the problem, and I've tried IRC. The actual BTC involved here is negligible, but it isn't confidence inspiring that these problems happen *and* then don't get resolved. Looks like slush hasn't logged in here in over a month. How is one supposed to file a support ticket request with him exactly?

Any news? Or is this just the cost of mining on slushes pool?
J_Dubbs

Activity: 322

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:41:38 AM

+1 - The same here
+1 here as well.

Pretty sure some people got a larger than deserved reward on that block, not sure whose pocket all the shorted BTC will be covered by but I'd say it's spilled milk by now...
nov

Activity: 433
Merit: 251

Independent crypto developer

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 06:53:09 AM

Could we mine namecoin also with bitcoin in slush pool as it used to be?

What is the point it is not there?

WowDoge - DogeCoin Lightweight Wallet DOGE: DLoawzLvw5WvvpGUkSTxrwMgKhkamsqFo7
Vertigo - VertCoin Lightweight Wallet VTC: VertGv5nVwYYR7mTmDDeAP9et1NJyAsC9P | Exelite - ExeCoin Lightweight Wallet EXE: ELiteWbMDwX95YZj5Jf5BkHS54qbH7wpXg | Lightweight Wallet Creation Service
MultiCoin - Multiple Crypto Coin Lightweight Wallet in Development BTC: 1EKT9uaaDbTRuwjttFQbfax7KmGNZX32HP | BitcoinViewer - Bitcoin Balances & Transactions on iPhone/iPad BTC: 1NEvfbiA5Bs2sG2jqRdCidGUjLD5JjAjEZ
gourmet

Activity: 311

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:08:14 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2013, 08:12:27 AM by gourmet

https://mining.bitcoin.cz/faq/#namecoin

Namecion merged mining had been only implemented in the (now) obsolete getwork protocol. Since getwork isn't supported any more, namecoin merged mining has been suspended too.

[edit]
This question has been answered multiple times in this thread. Please do consider one simple search before asking next time. Thanks in advance.
:-)

[edit2]
Even Slush's post on this topic can be found where he explains his motivation why he is not implementing namecoin merged mining in the Stratum protocol, and his attitude towards namecoin in general.
nov

Activity: 433

Independent crypto developer

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 07:20:37 AM

If NMC is used in: BTC-E, Cryptsy, Vircurex, Crypto-Trade, Kraken, Cryptonit, Coined Up exchanges?

Why not to mine them for free with bitcoin to exchange?

https://mining.bitcoin.cz/faq/#namecoin

WowDoge - DogeCoin Lightweight Wallet DOGE: DLoawzLvw5WvvpGUkSTxrwMgKhkamsqFo7
Vertigo - VertCoin Lightweight Wallet VTC: VertGv5nVwYYR7mTmDDeAP9et1NJyAsC9P | Exelite - ExeCoin Lightweight Wallet EXE: ELiteWbMDwX95YZj5Jf5BkHS54qbH7wpXg | Lightweight Wallet Creation Service
MultiCoin - Multiple Crypto Coin Lightweight Wallet in Development BTC: 1EKT9uaaDbTRuwjttFQbfax7KmGNZX32HP | BitcoinViewer - Bitcoin Balances & Transactions on iPhone/iPad BTC: 1NEvfbiA5Bs2sG2jqRdCidGUjLD5JjAjEZ
Altoidnerd

Activity: 406

http://altoidnerd.com

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 07:33:50 AM

+1 - The same here
+1 here as well.

You simply trust slush.  It usually works out.  Slush is god of mining pools.  He's a busy man.  

In all seriousness, problems on slush's pool usually just fix themselves without a word from our glorious leader.  Slush keeps it pretty business like.  BTC in, BTC out.  No talky.

Slush does not get enough credit for saving bitcoin by introducing and designing pooled mining.  Well not save bitcoin...but certainly his creation of the pooled mining system worked and here we are today, with a decently decentralized mining crew.  Without old slushy, life would be pretty different.  So we try to give him a break around he because he gave us all life.

Do you even mine?
12gKRdrz7yy7erg5apUvSRGemypTUvBRuJ
Altoidnerd

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 07:45:49 AM

+1 - The same here
+1 here as well.

Pretty sure some people got a larger than deserved reward on that block, not sure whose pocket all the shorted BTC will be covered by but I'd say it's spilled milk by now...

This is a bug that has been here forever.  It fixes itself.  Don't sweat it, trust the father.

Do you even mine?
12gKRdrz7yy7erg5apUvSRGemypTUvBRuJ
jmevz

Activity: 251

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:04:25 AM

Wow, what a round we're stuck in!

Pages: « 1 ... 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 [671] 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 ... 1154 »
  Print  

Jump to: