Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:06:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 [2087] 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
Uniqueorn

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

NXT.org

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:35:08 AM

If Etherium is such a big deal and the community is more important than the technical advantages, why does Nxt has 2160 pages and Etherium only 74 pages on Bitcointalk.org?
Ethereum is 2 advocacy guys project, Nxt is 1000 random guys project

This is naive as hell... Ethereum got so much more influence than you even want to know

That is because it is backed by major financial institutions.

Which is why they have hired top lawyers, top programmers, top marketing experts etc.
Noone in the real world gives a single fuck that Ethereum isn't a "activist project".

I sincerely hope that isn't the case.

There are some things money cannot buy.

I wish that was the case, but sadly in the real world it isn't ;\
If they provide the best service and tech, then average people (99,9% of the population) wont care one bit of the history involved.
And Ethereum got a lot of activists in it too so it's not like they are 100% synthetic and clinical.

NXT has too much drama, too skewed distribution of NXT, a lot of activists have already abandoned ship and more are doing so soon.
How did the marketing committee get selected? At least 2 of them used dirty tactics to get in the position they are now.

We barely got developers even and soon we lose CfB. This isn't something new, this is something people have known for months now and yet nothing changes. We keep drifting and drifting.
A lot of people learn of NXT, become involved, do great work, get zero pay, get disheartened and leave. Look at how many important people left to NEM. And *finally* NEM is auditing their IPO, so suddenly it'll be 10 times fairer than NXT in terms of distribution.
I have defended NXTs distribution 100 times, but it's clear that the vast majority of big holders are idle for a reason and that reason isn't strategic. (like Pouncer deluded himself to think)

Some people might sell out for money, but not everyone does.  I believe the true believers in liberty and freedom back their words with action.

I think the distribution of NXT is fine now.  I remember a lot of large stakeholders selling NXT for next to nothing in the beginning.  I see other stakeholders funding development.  I disagree that NEM will be "fairer".

I didn't think "dirty" tactics were used in the campaign.  What are you referring to?

The thing is: people wont see it as selling out. If Ethereum provides the best way for them to use Cryptos they have zero reason to think that Ethereum is any less "activist" than NXT. NXT's top 60 accounts still have like 65% of all NXT and they paid 30-50-100 dollars for it.
It's not a healthy distribution at all because it means all the power is centralized.
You can make the argument (as I have in marketing situations) that Bitcoin's distribution is just as bad, but that's not really a great defense as Bitcoin was the first crypto, the first prototype. We came 5 years later and couldn't even get that right.
NEM will have a lot more incentive for newcomers.

You can't say that a lot of big holders are giving out bounties, they simply aren't.

If you have read JustaBits post you would know what I am referring to. A certain individual tried to discredit him and Nifty and ended up getting a lot of votes from it.
Another person went on a smearcampaign right before teh voting started.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 07:36:49 AM

the transaction fees are still too damn high, forging rewards are way to low & come too slow for all but the richest Nxters.

Slow? Maybe. Low? No, everyone gets the same percentage. Anyways, you can't have high forging rewards and low fees.

Well I've been at it over 1 month with 10k NXT and haven't seen a single block. Supposedly I'll get 100 Nxt sometime in the next 11 months but in the meantime it sure seems like a waste of time and the longer I wait the less I believe it. It's not about the Nxt for me, I've given away far more than that, but it makes me concerned for the system as a whole as I don't think many people will bother with forging if this is how it is.
10K nxt and you expect 'mining' reward? So you would invest less than a bitcoin in a PoW hardware and you would expect reward too?
Do I miss something?

I don't quite know how to get my point across on this issue without continually being accused of complaining about not getting rewarded personally.  

Bitcoin does not need a majority of holders to mine. Their network is secure as long as a small percentage of people engage in mining. They don't even have to be holding Bitcoin, they can dump it to  FIAT as soon as they get it. You can't tell people not to compare forging with mining and then turn around and do it yourself.

NXT as far as I understand it needs a larger percentage of it's userbase to be forging than bitcoin does or the network will be insecure.

If this is the case, then you are going to have to incentivize these holders or the wide majority of them will simply not forge (again, I'm not referring to myself, stay focused here) . They'll log in and out when they want to use it, if they decide to use NXT at all. These "little people" are going to be exposing their machine to a possible DDOS attack, have to run their computer 24/7 (Most people shut them off at night) and be giving up processing power they don't need to (someone who uses their computer for video editing wants to eliminate every unneeded MB CPU power)

I understand that there's nodecoin being created on top of the network, which I am hopeful will be enough to motivate the needed constituency to forge. My worry there is that 99% of potential NXT users might not bother with the AE or want to go to all that trouble. It sounds kinda like something just for the nerds to do & I want NXT to be for everyone, not just nerds and nerdtrepreneurs. ( and I use the term nerd endearingly, not as a pejorative)

So once again I am not bringing up this issue because I am dissatisfied with my return. I am thinking about the bigger picture in the future when everyday normal people will be using NXT. If the entire networks' survival depends on a certain percentage of these people to be forging then this FACT has to be taken into account when figuring out how to motivate just enough of them, preferably more than that, to contribute. It is a mathematical issue, not a financial one. The devs need to face the fact that 99% of people will follow the path of least resistance. If 99% of NXT users not forging is OK for the network to work then I am cool with it. If not then I think this issue needs to be taken a lot more seriously because the very survival of NXT just might depend on it.

In my opinion, you're better off dishing out smaller rewards at a faster pace. People are like lab rats who feel rewarded when they get a pellet. It would be better to get .001 NXT every couple of days than 10 NXT after many months. It is simple psychology. Almost every successful software "invention" these days is successful because it's addicting. Twitter, facebook, Angry Birds, Flappy Birds, Candy Crush, Farmville. All very successful and all very addicting. Give the people their pellets and they will forge.

I had an, albeit flawed, idea the other day about dividing the block reward 50/50 between the block forger and the other nodes online.  For example, let's say the block reward was 25 NXT.  The forging node would receive 12.5 NXT and all the other nodes on the network would split the other 12.5 NXT.  If there were one thousand nodes online, then they would each get 0.0125 NXT.

This was flawed because of the network topology issue of knowing which nodes are online.  The only work around I can think of is to keep a master list that is broadcast to every node which lists all the nodes seen online in the last 24 hours.  Then these nodes would be rewarded.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
             ▄██████████████████████████▄
      ▄███████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████████████████
     ███████████████████████████████████████████
      █████████████████████████████████████████
       ███████████████████████████████████████
        █████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████████████
           ▀█████████████████████████████▀
             ▀█████████████████████████▀
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
BrianNowhere

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 07:41:18 AM

NXT as far as I understand it needs a larger percentage of it's userbase to be forging than bitcoin does or the network will be insecure.

Why? That doesn't even make sense.

I have been told by others here that this is the case. Think about it.  If small holders don't need to be forging, why even ask them to? Don't even make forging a selling point and just let the whales forge and protect their own network. I'm pretty sure that won't work, therefore it is a big problem that no one is taking seriously. edit: except CIYAM He has been putting a lot of thought into this and I REALLY appreciate him. and J77 (I think that's his nick) who is working on NODECOIN.

NXT: 4957831430947123625
mcjavar

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:45:27 AM

Coinpayments is closing down: https://www.coinpayments.net

What was this site for?
Processing bitcoin payments. USA's FinCen says they have authority over bitcoin and any company that touches it is a money transmitter. Now bitcoin is as troublesome as fiat in America. Isnt America nice

So, now you need at least $5 million to operation in USA, before you can even start. maybe you can choose a few states to lower the compliance cost, but every state has their own rules, add the federal stuff on top and the war on bitcoin escalates.

James

Do you have a source for this? I'd like to read up.

http://www.fincen.gov/

Read especially:

http://www.fincen.gov/news_room/testimony/html/20140220.html

FinCEN getting involved in cryptocurrency is a huge blow to Bitcoin in the US and NXT as well.   If NXT implements NXTcash as a truly anonymous transfer service, we can expect FinCen to arrest James as a terrorist.

I am only partially joking.
will I get internet access from jail?

Internet no, a huuuuge asshole yes.

Wink
pandaisftw

Activity: 224

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:47:30 AM

I have been told by others here that this is the case. Think about it.  If small holders don't need to be forging, why even ask them to? Don't even make forging a selling point and just let the whales forge and protect their own network. I'm pretty sure that won't work, therefore it is a big problem that no one is taking seriously. edit: except CIYAM He has been putting a lot of thought into this and I REALLY appreciate him. and J77 (I think that's his nick) who is working on NODECOIN.

Well, it is Proof of Stake.

More nodes without stake/hallmarks = more protection against DDOS attacks, but not necessarily more security.

NXT: 13095091276527367030
Meizirkki

Activity: 616

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:49:01 AM

I agree that we already have the Alias system so there is no reason for an Asset to *have a name* at all (just a unique number should suffice - perhaps even issuing account # plus date).

+2
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 07:49:30 AM

This was flawed because of the network topology issue of knowing which nodes are online.  The only work around I can think of is to keep a master list that is broadcast to every node which lists all the nodes seen online in the last 24 hours.  Then these nodes would be rewarded.

Unfortunately this also is flawed due to topology (it can't be checked).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Eadeqa

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:51:27 AM

I have been told by others here that this is the case. Think about it.  If small holders don't need to be forging, why even ask them to? Don't even make forging a selling point and just let the whales forge and protect their own network. I'm pretty sure that won't work, therefore it is a big problem that no one is taking seriously.

Where is that "big" problem?  I still don't gt it.

Why 100 to 500 forging accounts shouldn't be enough to secure the network?

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 07:53:35 AM

The thing is: people wont see it as selling out. If Ethereum provides the best way for them to use Cryptos they have zero reason to think that Ethereum is any less "activist" than NXT.

They might not "see" it that way, but that is the way it is.  It is backed and run by people who for a living have controlled and undermined the economies and livelihoods of people all over the world.

NXT's top 60 accounts still have like 65% of all NXT and they paid 30-50-100 dollars for it.
It's not a healthy distribution at all because it means all the power is centralized.
You can make the argument (as I have in marketing situations) that Bitcoin's distribution is just as bad, but that's not really a great defense as Bitcoin was the first crypto, the first prototype. We came 5 years later and couldn't even get that right.

You can't say that a lot of big holders are giving out bounties, they simply aren't.

That is capitalism and ROI.  That doesn't mean that power is centralized because you don't know the motives of the individuals that hold the currency.

I'm one of the biggest supporters of helping your fellow man.  Nothing in life is equal, but it should be fair.  NXT is fair.

Even Nem will not be fair or equal to 99.999999% percent of the world that isn't included in the genesis block.

Everyone had to purchase their NXT, but not everyone had to purchase their Nem.  Some people got their Nem for free.  Is that fair or equal?

If you have read JustaBits post you would know what I am referring to. A certain individual tried to discredit him and Nifty and ended up getting a lot of votes from it.
Another person went on a smearcampaign right before teh voting started.

All the message said was that marketing funds shouldn't be used on charity.

I agree with this.  We can't save the world.  It's terrible that there are children starving in a third world country, but guess what, there are starving children living on my block.  If people have economic freedom, they should be able to feed themselves, provided they are healthy and capable of work.

I didn't donate to "Songs of Love" because it's ridiculous.  There are millions of children who are sick.  Singing to them will do nothing.  How about trying to cure their illness.

Also, one of the singers was a stripper.  If I had a sick child, I would not want a "former" stripper singing to them.  I'm not going to support that garbage.  They couldn't find a better role model?  Seriously?

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
Fatih87SK

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:54:04 AM

Usability is KING!

A visitor of Nextcoin.org tells about his experience and why Nxt is difficult to use for newbees. I totally agree with him, usability is more important than futuristic features. How can we solve this problem?

https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,4339.new.html

It can be resolved by integrating wesleyh client  with NRS and distributing it as simple executable application.

Or just use Marcus3 client that works without local copy of NRS

I have got some questions again from users at twitter how they can install the client. And how to install it on Mac. If I got instructions etc.

That is problem number 1. But we are working on it with Wesleyhs client. Integrating with the NRS client.

But we have also a big second problem like the other forum describes. Passwords.

Are we working on that either?

The usability of the client is the third problem. But we can fix that over time with instruction videos etc. I am going to try to make one also.

The first two problems we have to think and fix ASAP!

Eadeqa

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:04:49 AM

Usability is KING!

A visitor of Nextcoin.org tells about his experience and why Nxt is difficult to use for newbees. I totally agree with him, usability is more important than futuristic features. How can we solve this problem?

It can be resolved by integrating wesleyh client  with NRS and distributing it as simple executable application.

Or just use Marcus3 client that works without local copy of NRS

I have got some questions again from users at twitter how they can install the client. And how to install it on Mac. If I got instructions etc.

That is problem number 1. But we are working on it with Wesleyhs client. Integrating with the NRS client.

But we have also a big second problem like the other forum describes. Passwords.

Are we working on that either?

The usability of the client is the third problem. But we can fix that over time with instruction videos etc.

The first two problems we have to think and fix ASAP!

All  clients should have password management system.  The client should generate cryptographically secure passwords and save them on hard disk in wallet.dat  encrypted with AES.  The user provides the password for encryption and that password doesn't need to be that strong.

I have said that many times before. Nxt is insecure for general public without password management implemented  within client.

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
BrianNowhere

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 08:04:54 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 08:37:08 AM by BrianNowhere

What if we only can lease a maximum of 50% of our nxt forging power (or x% amount)? This would help get a low standard deviation for forging fee while if someone want its full forging power for all his nxt, he would still have to run a node.

You are assuming it was "part of the plan" to have a very large number of people running nodes.

The "plan" as far I as understand it now was to have a relatively small number of "super nodes" controlling the network.

The vision of Nxt is/was really to compete with Ripple rather than with anything else.

Damn I knew it. I have been using both and they are very similar, except RIPPLE has instant transactions, cross currency trading (not just XRP to whatever) and no one is asked to run a node or forge. NXT RIPPLE  is less centralized ( at this point) but the jury is still out in my mind whether this is a good or bad thing or whether pure decentralization will matter that much in the end. NXT has to compete on features, not ideology.

landomata
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 08:05:37 AM

@ marketing team:  ...professional video's & voice overs for less than 50 bucks.

http://www.fiverr.com/spike1/add-a-voiceover-to-your-animated-video-with-your-info-for-5-five-bucks

BrianNowhere

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 08:08:37 AM

Asset Exchange Enhancement Proposal

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1FsyumJLmQ9ckLNkHlmW1oPRGOoK3oAg_pVjFz3s0fNw/edit?usp=sharing

With even more feedback, some have suggested that perhaps relying on an external website is not good (although it *should* be secure, perhaps someone can find a way to abuse this?)

With this in mind, I added slides 5-7 to show how this could be done without external URLs, only using Aliases. NXT already provides all the tools needed for this to work, clients just have to be able to interpret it. If people think this is a good idea, hopefully we can have a discussion going on the standard formatting.

IMO, this is important because it removes the ability of squatters to hold important asset names at ransom from the community.

Pandaisftw

Hey there. Just wanted you to know I liked your platform and voted for you. Sorry you didn't get in.

Fatih87SK

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:18:51 AM

What if we only can lease a maximum of 50% of our nxt forging power (or x% amount)? This would help get a low standard deviation for forging fee while if someone want its full forging power for all his nxt, he would still have to run a node.

You are assuming it was "part of the plan" to have a very large number of people running nodes.

The "plan" as far I as understand it now was to have a relatively small number of "super nodes" controlling the network.

The vision of Nxt is/was really to compete with Ripple rather than with anything else.

Damn I knew it. I have been using both and they are very similar, except RIPPLE has instant transactions, cross currency trading (not just XRP to whatever) and no one is asked to run a node or forge. NXT is less centralized ( at this point) but the jury is still out in my mind whether this is a good or bad thing or whether pure decentralization will matter that much in the end. NXT has to compete on features, not ideology.

+1

It's good to secure our decentralized network. But people are more interested about features. If they didn't. Nobody would use Facebook.

Uniqueorn

Activity: 182

NXT.org

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:21:54 AM

They might not "see" it that way, but that is the way it is.  It is backed and run by people who for a living have controlled and undermined the economies and livelihoods of people all over the world.

Well most top hoarders of NXT are the same way. They haven't paid most of us doing hard labour for 3 months now. Most are infact idle. If BTer hadn't added us back in January the price of NXT would've kept climbing down to like 10% of what it is today.
Most of NXTs success is down to luck, random events and hardworkers that got zero pay and now leave.

NXT's top 60 accounts still have like 65% of all NXT and they paid 30-50-100 dollars for it.

That is capitalism and ROI.  That doesn't mean that power is centralized because you don't know the motives of the individuals that hold the currency.

It does indeed mean that, they can afford to pay developers to change all of NXT. Remember NXT is open source now.
Also whenever a founder speak the community follows because they hope some of that wealth is going to drip down on them.

I'm one of the biggest supporters of helping your fellow man.  Nothing in life is equal, but it should be fair.  NXT is fair.

How is it fair? Hoarders get to sit on their ass and become millionaires while workers get zero? How is that fair?

Everyone had to purchase their NXT, but not everyone had to purchase their Nem.  Some people got their Nem for free.  Is that fair or equal?

Personally I've critized NEM several times and confronted Utopian about the sockpuppets etc. for a long time, but no I don't think your point shows NEM is anymore unfair than NXT. Sure some have to pay a few dollars to get their share, but in NXT the IPO was cut short so others couldn't join... That's way worse. NEM at least said how many they would accept.

All the message said was that marketing funds shouldn't be used on charity.

I agree with this.  We can't save the world.  It's terrible that there are children starving in a third world country, but guess what, there are starving children living on my block.  If people have economic freedom, they should be able to feed themselves, provided they are healthy and capable of work.

No it directly critized Justabit and Nifty and portrayed them as working for this charity. They aren't working for this charity at all, they used it as a marketing tool. Back in December we sent JustaBit and Nifty to the Bitcoin conference in Miami where they made a lot of connections and helped put NXT on the map and this is how they are to be repayed?
If someone had issues iwth it they should've taken it public, sending PMs to people to get their votes while lying is downright fuckedup.

Same strategy Salsacz used against me. He quote mined shit and said things out of context to make people uncertain about certain things, while at the same time chatting with me on Skype about the same things acting like nothing Smiley This community is far from healthy.
But I no longer give a fuck as it has become beyond evident for anyone with a average IQ
barbierir

Activity: 515
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 08:24:03 AM

Usability is KING!

We need a passphrase generator like the one in Electrum, it is naive to expect people know how to create a strong passphrase

◈▣ KOMODO ● Set Your Ideas Free ▣◈
.......AN ECOSYSTEM FOR NATIVE BLOCKCHAINS.......
Blockchain Generator | Decentralized Crowdfunding | Decentralized Exchange | Bitcoin Security | Zero-Knowledge Proofs | Blockchain Interoperability | Scalable Infrastructure
BrianNowhere

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 08:30:37 AM

the transaction fees are still too damn high, forging rewards are way to low & come too slow for all but the richest Nxters.

Slow? Maybe. Low? No, everyone gets the same percentage. Anyways, you can't have high forging rewards and low fees.

Well I've been at it over 1 month with 10k NXT and haven't seen a single block. Supposedly I'll get 100 Nxt sometime in the next 11 months but in the meantime it sure seems like a waste of time and the longer I wait the less I believe it. It's not about the Nxt for me, I've given away far more than that, but it makes me concerned for the system as a whole as I don't think many people will bother with forging if this is how it is.
10K nxt and you expect 'mining' reward? So you would invest less than a bitcoin in a PoW hardware and you would expect reward too?
Do I miss something?

I don't quite know how to get my point across on this issue without continually being accused of complaining about not getting rewarded personally.  

Bitcoin does not need a majority of holders to mine. Their network is secure as long as a small percentage of people engage in mining. They don't even have to be holding Bitcoin, they can dump it to  FIAT as soon as they get it. You can't tell people not to compare forging with mining and then turn around and do it yourself.

If this is the case, then you are going to have to incentivize these holders or the wide majority of them will simply not forge (again, I'm not referring to myself, stay focused here) . They'll log in and out when they want to use it, if they decide to use NXT at all. These "little people" are going to be exposing their machine to a possible DDOS attack, have to run their computer 24/7 (Most people shut them off at night) and be giving up processing power they don't need to (someone who uses their computer for video editing wants to eliminate every unneeded MB CPU power)

I understand that there's nodecoin being created on top of the network, which I am hopeful will be enough to motivate the needed constituency to forge. My worry there is that 99% of potential NXT users might not bother with the AE or want to go to all that trouble. It sounds kinda like something just for the nerds to do & I want NXT to be for everyone, not just nerds and nerdtrepreneurs. ( and I use the term nerd endearingly, not as a pejorative)

So once again I am not bringing up this issue because I am dissatisfied with my return. I am thinking about the bigger picture in the future when everyday normal people will be using NXT. If the entire networks' survival depends on a certain percentage of these people to be forging then this FACT has to be taken into account when figuring out how to motivate just enough of them, preferably more than that, to contribute. It is a mathematical issue, not a financial one. The devs need to face the fact that 99% of people will follow the path of least resistance. If 99% of NXT users not forging is OK for the network to work then I am cool with it. If not then I think this issue needs to be taken a lot more seriously because the very survival of NXT just might depend on it.

In my opinion, you're better off dishing out smaller rewards at a faster pace. People are like lab rats who feel rewarded when they get a pellet. It would be better to get .001 NXT every couple of days than 10 NXT after many months. It is simple psychology. Almost every successful software "invention" these days is successful because it's addicting. Twitter, facebook, Angry Birds, Flappy Birds, Candy Crush, Farmville. All very successful and all very addicting. Give the people their pellets and they will forge.

I had an, albeit flawed, idea the other day about dividing the block reward 50/50 between the block forger and the other nodes online.  For example, let's say the block reward was 25 NXT.  The forging node would receive 12.5 NXT and all the other nodes on the network would split the other 12.5 NXT.  If there were one thousand nodes online, then they would each get 0.0125 NXT.

I'm glad you are at least thinking of potential solutions. It's hard for me to troubleshoot because I don't know what'g going on in the core of the forging algorithm and not sure what is and isn't possible. All I know is it is a potential serious flaw that could make all the difference in the world.

One I've posed before is to have a percentage of all transactions go to a lottery fund that gets awarded occasionally at a random day and time to someone who is forging. This would "cost" the network less yet inspire people to keep forging so as not to give up their "lottery ticket". But again i don't even know if that would be possible. Just know something is needed. Hopefully NODECOIn will do the trick, but my big fear there is average users who just spend NXT and don't care about AE not being able to take advantage of it. I think the solution would be better coming from the lowest level rather than an upper layer.

LemonAndFries

Activity: 462

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:33:25 AM

So I started a Wikipedia entry for NXT.

It's titled NXT Coin and here's the link for whoever would like to contribute information to it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Articles_for_creation/NXT_Coin

I will continue to edit and add information, I have little time today so I'd figure a start is good for now.

The name is Nxt, not Nxtcoin and as I said please don't repost it on Wikipedia. This is absolutely against Wikipedia policy. Wikipedia should not be used to promote yourself. I hope the article gets deleted soon.

Nxt should be promoted in mainstream media. It needs to become notable. Once that is done, it will show up in Wikipedia -- without you doing anything.

I hate when Wikipedia is abused for self promotion

It wasn't for self promotion, I really don't see how you even came to that conclusion.  Someone mentioned it in the forum and I said, "f-it I'll just start one, why the f*** not?".  I am not very capable of writing a correct article on it, so I started it so other people in the community could add to it,edit and correct it as needed.

It's really about educating people that are not knowledgeable about crypto and might be curious.

But if you take it the other way, then f*** it. I'll just stop trying to help because obviously I'm doing it for myself even though I have done one giveaway, run a couple nodes and even ordered a r-pi to set up, have donated back to the cache system in Peer Explorer, try to help people in my immediate life into crypto and explain how this could be the financial solution the world needs.  Nah, I must be a selfish greedy ass**** just out for himself.

I'm done with these communities, you ask for the community to be a community but the first chance you get you bash the people trying to help.
I'm not a big stake holder or even came in when it was still cheaper than now, I'm not even a wealthy man, I'm just barely making it into middle class. I try to do my part, but if it's going to be like this then I'm done.  I'll just sit from the sidelines quietly and become a stale account holder.
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 08:34:50 AM

Well most top hoarders of NXT are the same way. They haven't paid most of us doing hard labour for 3 months now. Most are infact idle. If BTer hadn't added us back in January the price of NXT would've kept climbing down to like 10% of what it is today.
Most of NXTs success is down to luck, random events and hardworkers that got zero pay and now leave.

The stakeholders are NOT the "same way".  NXT has nothing to do with usury capitalism.

No one is guaranteed of getting paid anything.  You have no idea who is "idle" because no one knows who controls what account.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
Pages: « 1 ... 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 [2087] 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: