Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 10:35:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412870 times)
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 01:33:40 PM

I want it to be packaged in an idiot proof windows installer - and with the same modern skin as all the other crypto coins. e.g Litecoin, Feathercoin, Freicoin, PPCoin, pretty much any coin except Devcoin!

Also, the client should actually say Devcoin - not Bitcoin - on the gui.

There is already a bounty for this and I really, really think this is very necessary for Devcoin to grow it's user base.

All right,   so something like https://www.box.com/s/3smwokd1rt83andsfpsh

This seem to work for people that don't have, or delete old versions on their computer and clean out the old data directory. So it should work great for new users.  Not sure what to do about current ones yet.

Did you just whip that up? Pretty nifty - except my antivirus recommended I discard the package as containing a virus Sad Any chance of fixing this? I'm excited for Devcoin windows installer!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 01:41:01 PM

I want it to be packaged in an idiot proof windows installer - and with the same modern skin as all the other crypto coins. e.g Litecoin, Feathercoin, Freicoin, PPCoin, pretty much any coin except Devcoin!

There is already a bounty for this and I really, really think this is very necessary for Devcoin to grow it's user base.

This seem to work for people that don't have, or delete old versions on their computer and clean out the old data directory. So it should work great for new users.  Not sure what to do about current ones yet.

Did you just whip that up? Pretty nifty - except my antivirus recommended I discard the package as containing a virus Sad Any chance of fixing this? I'm excited for Devcoin windows installer!

I know it was the case that a lot of antivirus programs will detect mining software as some virus's had a miner as the payload.  Maybe it could be fixed by stripping out the mining code, other then that I have no ideas off hand.

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 01:43:59 PM

I know it was the case that a lot of antivirus programs will detect mining software as some virus's had a miner as the payload.  Maybe it could be fixed by stripping out the mining code, other then that I have no ideas.

I see. Well to claim the bounty and be usable it would have to not give false positives on anti virus! Thanks for providing the link though - I'm not going to download it though!
marticps

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 01:50:09 PM

Anyone knows how to export the wallet from the windows bundle, remove the windows bundle, install this version and import the current wallet?

BTC: 1D8PbvnLDrfEC78Q7fbiqxvdm7kML4hiqT | DVC: 1GftqKkDcjAQzQT9544vzyPBYBY8FL6qQy
Share and grow: Creative Commons, Copyleft | Earn Devcoins by Writing
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 01:51:43 PM

think it is just cos it not a very highly downloaded file atm... my chrome said it was malicious software, yet scan with mcaffie and all is clear... nice work twobit Smiley

I know he has been working on this for a few days now, so hopefully should be able to secure that bounty Cheesy

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
twobits

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:01:26 PM

I see. Well to claim the bounty and be usable it would have to not give false positives on anti virus! Thanks for providing the link though - I'm not going to download it though!

False positive are a fault with the virus software, though an understandable one...

I uploaded it to virustotoal... 

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/066bbdd13287f803bf6c53cccf4a7e5d3bf2274a970de956db61d98800402c2e/analysis/1367243843/

seems 1 out of 46 virus programs flagged it, which is better then I expected given it does have mining software in it.   What program do you use?

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:14:31 PM

...Again i'm sure i'll write up an article for clarification on what is acceptable writing and what is not as few emails I have received on such issues and few posts in this thread regarding such issues.
I’d certainly be interested to know whether the intent of devtome to develop into a repository of information for information' sake and traffic volume, or for interests sake and targetted traffic? The distinction would make a difference to what I may write and submit. I'd like to make clear I'm not having a go at finshaggy or anyone else in particular, only that if the guidelines remain vague I'm sure some of us could dig out 20k word dissertations, essays, studies etc that would put most writers to shame in volume terms, but perhaps ourselves to shame in quality and interest terms. However, if that's what the earlyish days of devtome need to get things moving, and this is made clear, then cool. Appreciate this is probably over-analysing the issue today, but thought as it's going to come up at some point it may as well be now.
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:22:37 PM

False positive are a fault with the virus software, though an understandable one...

I uploaded it to virustotoal... 

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/066bbdd13287f803bf6c53cccf4a7e5d3bf2274a970de956db61d98800402c2e/analysis/1367243843/

seems 1 out of 46 virus programs flagged it, which is better then I expected given it does have mining software in it.   What program do you use?

Good to know - Chrome flagged it when I tried to download it. I know it's clean - but it's a shame that one of the most popular browsers flags it Sad
shakezula

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:35:15 PM

FWIW, my Chrome (OSX 10.Cool didn't flag it, nor did my Sophos Antivirus. Cheers for finally having a DVC wallet I don't need to use the terminal to access. Now if we could get one for NMC...*dreaming*

THANKS AGAIN!  Grin
marticps

Activity: 102

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 03:36:45 PM

Anyone knows how to export the wallet from the windows bundle, remove the windows bundle, install this version and import the current wallet?

BTC: 1D8PbvnLDrfEC78Q7fbiqxvdm7kML4hiqT | DVC: 1GftqKkDcjAQzQT9544vzyPBYBY8FL6qQy
Share and grow: Creative Commons, Copyleft | Earn Devcoins by Writing
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 03:49:12 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 04:03:58 PM by markm

Free open source fiction is one of the things devcoin supposedly supports, so it had never even occurred to me that fiction would not be allowed on devtome, I had thought that posting it to devtome is basically how you get paid for it.

On the other hand though, consider if Stephen King - or in general any novelist or writer - was spending 40 hours a month writing the next great free open source novel. Great, they are an open source something developer, they get to have one share, just like people working on various other free open source something projects.

Compare that to one share per thousand words. Maybe it is simply not worthwhile to get onto the developers list for developing written material compared to just posting it at one thousand words per share?

Maybe if coders happened to write more than 1000 words of code per month they would be better off posting it to devtome than working 40 hours a month on it and getting just one share?

FIction versus non-fiction is a fourth wall thing and a very fuzzy thing, a lot of articles on wikipedia are factual articles documenting "facts" about fictional events people places and so on. Albeit I think they do seem to try to step back somewhat from the fictional "facts" to try to take a pose of "we are merely trying to give a little bit of basic info about a piece of fiction, maybe enough so people interested in the actual details can choose whether it is a piece of fiction they would like to read".

I have posted "fiction" myself now, in the form of factual records of specific documents that the Archaelogical Society of Lethron (a fictional village in a fictional world) factually had (and presumably still has) in its archives, documents that are in the hand-written "Player's Manual" provided for their reading pleasure and game-education to players of the tabletop paper and pencil roleplaying game set on the planet known as D'ydii.

In a way it is maybe rather late to complain about fiction now, the devtome is already more like the Dune Wiki and other wikis that provide all the detailed information about various gameworlds and fictional worlds - wikis that maybe help keep the nitty gritty details of particular fictions out of wikipedia by providing sites wikipedia can point to where those interested can find all the nitty gritty details they wish.

Wikipedia itself also anyway does have a sibling wiki that is a whole collection of fiction, right? We are the devTOME, not the devPEDIA, ha ha, so all kinds of ancient tomes from musty old fantasy worlds could end up there, at least inasmuch as they are free open source content. Huh

Or is part of why the Galactic Milieu material has been accepted all this time more to do with the fact the Galactic Milieu is itself not just any fantasy game nor just any collection of fantasy worlds but a free open source fantasy game set in a collection of free open source fantasy worlds Huh

Samples/examples:

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=a_city_dies_d_ydii

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=of_futility_and_valour_d_ydii

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=of_he_who_slept_d_ydii

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=diary_of_a_hero_d_ydii

These are related documents that, to a player, provide various important historical characters and characterisations and such relating to the famous characters Dralien Atapul, aka Dra the Lion, Founder and King of Ilyon; the nature of the Ilyoni people; Dra's nephew, Ezekiel Homo Draconis D'or and how he gained the title Lord of Ice; and so on. All considered important documents for players to read.

These are recently added documents though, excerpts from the Player Manual for players of D'ydii. Earlier I had more been posting "facts" about nations and planets and the currencies used by various nations and so on and so on and so on. (So more in the vein/tradition of the Dune Wiki, I guess.)

Maybe the big shock with the 160,000+ word novel / television-series / televised novel / whatever it is recently posted is simply so many words in one month; had it been paced out over many months like the Galactic Milieu material maybe it would not have raised any eyebrows, once it was know that the television series depicted is one the poster is himself the author of?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Balthozar

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:03:37 PM

My only concern was for articles such as http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=feral_south

It is the complete script of a free open source television program?

Or a copyrighted script whose author has not donated it to the public domain or open source license?

Is it "fair use" excerpt or simple unauthorised transcript?

Maybe fan sites customarily post entire transacripts of episodes, but also many or most fan sites are actually illegal, its just that sometimes it profits a company not to get around to crushing them until they start to become lost revenue/traffic instead of increased revenue/traffic/PR.

Using speech recognistion to transcribe telly sounds like a great way to generate oodles of writing though, cool idea. I wonder if search engines woud find the results more "relevant" than the search engine's own output pages, that ocne upon a time were the most delectable spider-bait you could create?

-MarkM-

many thanks for your reply Markm,

Ok little digging round turns out to be a fiction book finshaggy is writing ... OP here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=180352.0
this raises the question of fictional content going onto devtome... i thought you can only be paid for non fiction articles? 

My views would be:
if a trans-script of an open source TV program then this should get 3/5 share for collated work,
if a complete trans-script of an copyrighted TV program then this posting should NOT be allowed,
if a part trans-script of an copyrighted TV program then this posting should be allowed within reason... say limit the earnings to max 1 share, or 3/5 share

Yeah the speech recognition software is something that I do have access to and did consider using but thought it an improper use of such software and would easily rack me up 100,000's of words easily, but would just spam devtome with lots of very random content so I did not think this in the underlying spirit of devcoin but the issue needs to be addressed as not all will be as fair playing as I. 

Depends what we are after though?  lots of content with high search hits, or good content with high search hits... think the credibility of the site is something that is more important in my view at the current time.

FuzzyBear

PS want to chime in and say sorry finshaggy for pointing out this out and sorry if u loose some shares you felt entitled to, but u have written a LOT and kinda drawn attention to yourself Smiley but keep up the good work all this needs to be addressed and sorted out before we have 1000 articles posted a day on such topics and the admins can't read and source all of these.

Again i'm sure i'll write up an article for clarification on what is acceptable writing and what is not as few emails I have received on such issues and few posts in this thread regarding such issues.

I have been writing about Sigmund Freud and Ivan Pavlov in the non-fiction sense. This obviously has nothing to do with DVC, but it is not fictional material. If devtome was kept as only a source for information regarding DVC and the development of it, I believe that the wiki would be small, and the amount of traffic it receives would reflect similarly. I think that there should be a very broad range of things written about to draw in a very broad crowd. If someone finds the wiki because they want to know about Sigmund Freud, and ends up poking around and learning about DVC and what devtome is actually about, I consider that a plus. The more traffic the better Albeit the content has to be good, or else it looks like a little kids playground of gibberish.

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:balthozar | Earn Devcoins by Writing | Virtual Currency Exchange
DVC:1kFhM8vtEzbZ43Z5wcadPvNrb4xFXbgze | YAC:YHjjwLgjVfsnANTeb9eKeU3rtyKsFNvVCq | BQC:bUu1W2JEQzVrbFvv3EU4gW6KY2J939JDe1 | WDC:WTqa866TFP6d9HWGpYm2AztDNNMFmQ365s | FRC:1N2x7s8F78WiSFCFQPszLqhWsP6Kk1RXVp | NVC:4KcR3Dcmxz1ZDLK3VA9oHxpG4C3oYMCPeV | FTC:6ugwSRQNXQKNb5EVwQVn4CLoZNpiitiQzt | PPC:PSnEL3tmJejkdAAwiBLxSqbCide1voSKXY
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 04:10:05 PM

Well at least Freud, if not also Pavlov (though actually, I think Pavlov too) appear in a possibly surprising amount of fiction.

I believe for example Sigmund is almost certainly a holodeck character in the standard libraries of the Federation's starships, and very likely Pavlov is too.

So nice picks, one thing I really like (but some people might be really bugged by) is the way the whole devtome can so freely cross back and forth across "the fourth wall" and the "distinction" between "fact" and "fiction".

(Siggy and Pavlov are famous characters from the huge body of fiction found throughout the Galactic Milieu that is of the genres "fiction about the mythical 'planet known as Earth'" and "fiction attributed to authors purported to themselves be from the planet known as Earth". Smiley In those genres it is a standard literary conceit to write as if "the planet known as Earth" actually existed and possibly even still exists.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:13:26 PM

I think a limit of 20 or 30 shares per month for writing isn't a bad idea - but I don't think there should be any other limits except this. Some people are no doubt sitting on many, many thousands of words of work and if one person uploads it all to Devtome in one month it could cause a crash of sorts and share value will plummet. The smart thing for anyone to do is space out their work and not add more than 50 000 words in one month anyway - but I don't think all people can be strategic about it in this way.

I think some stability (or more gradual reduction in value over time) of generation share value is actually a good thing and would in the best interests of Devtome, Devcoin, and the writers.
Balthozar

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:16:51 PM

Well at least Freud, if not also Pavlov (though actually, I think Pavlov too) appear in a possibly surprising amount of fiction.

I believe for example Sigmund is almost certainly a holodeck character in the standard libraries of the Federation's starships, and very likely Pavlov is too.

So nice picks, one thing I really like (but some people might be really bugged by) is the way the whole devtome can so freely cross back and forth across "the fourth wall" and the "distinction" between "fact" and "fiction".

(Siggy and Pavlov are famous characters from the huge body of fiction found throughout the Galactic Milieu that is of the genres "fiction about the mythical 'planet known as Earth'" and "fiction attributed to authors purported to themselves be from the planet known as Earth". Smiley In those genres it is a standard literary conceit to write as if "the planet known as Earth" actually existed and possibly even still exists.)

-MarkM-

I don't know anything about the Galactic Milieu, but plan to read up on it. My writings are of the actual psychologists, who did actual studies, and came up with actual ideas that are still referenced and regarded in todays psychological studies.

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:balthozar | Earn Devcoins by Writing | Virtual Currency Exchange
DVC:1kFhM8vtEzbZ43Z5wcadPvNrb4xFXbgze | YAC:YHjjwLgjVfsnANTeb9eKeU3rtyKsFNvVCq | BQC:bUu1W2JEQzVrbFvv3EU4gW6KY2J939JDe1 | WDC:WTqa866TFP6d9HWGpYm2AztDNNMFmQ365s | FRC:1N2x7s8F78WiSFCFQPszLqhWsP6Kk1RXVp | NVC:4KcR3Dcmxz1ZDLK3VA9oHxpG4C3oYMCPeV | FTC:6ugwSRQNXQKNb5EVwQVn4CLoZNpiitiQzt | PPC:PSnEL3tmJejkdAAwiBLxSqbCide1voSKXY
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:17:37 PM

It looks like I'm cloned successfully Grin
Balthozar

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:20:50 PM

Oh, no sir. I know who you are.
I have had my net handle for at least 7 years.
I have no affiliation with you. And my screen name was meant to have no reference to the novel by Lawrence Durrell.

Balthozar

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:22:43 PM

I think a limit of 20 or 30 shares per month for writing isn't a bad idea - but I don't think there should be any other limits except this. Some people are no doubt sitting on many, many thousands of words of work and if one person uploads it all to Devtome in one month it could cause a crash of sorts and share value will plummet. The smart thing for anyone to do is space out their work and not add more than 50 000 words in one month anyway - but I don't think all people can be strategic about it in this way.

I think some stability (or more gradual reduction in value over time) of generation share value is actually a good thing and would in the best interests of Devtome, Devcoin, and the writers.

Per month or per round? Because the time to make it through a round can fluctuate based on the hashrate of the network, whereas a month is a static time, so lets say the network slows down and it takes 2 months to make it through a round, there would still be people who could obtain their 60 shares a round which seems to have people bothered right now.

Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:23:15 PM

I have no affiliation with you. And my screen name was meant to have no reference to the novel by Lawrence Durrell.
It's a joke, don't worry Wink
Balthozar

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:24:45 PM

It's a joke, don't worry Wink

No worries on my end.

Pages: « 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: