Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:26:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 ... 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412869 times)
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 02:52:39 PM

A tool to implement paying out more than 100% to people merged-mining using p2pool with bitcoin as primary chain and devcoin as one of potentially many (currently about seven or eight or so) secondary chains.

Preferred is to pay them these extra (as in, above and beyond the bitcoins that p2pool sends them automatically in the coinbase transactions of the bitcoin blocks) earnings in the form of devcoins.

The extra payout tool bounty is now official, with a six share for the first developer, then 3 shares for the next. It must be open source, like all other devcoin funded development.

Great! There is already a Massively Merged Mining p2pool up and running at dvcstable01.devcoin.org:10332 but so far of course it only acts as a no-fee p2pool for bitcoins because we have no tool for sharing out the proceeds of selling all the merged mined coins it is mining alongside the bitcoins. (NMC, DVC, GRP, I0C, IXC, CLC and XGG.)

Still, if people feel confident that someday a tool will be built to share out revenue from sales of the merged coins, they could start using it. Even just for mining bitcoins a no fee pool is about the best you'll find, and once we get the tool(s) it will become in effect a negative-fee pool, a pool that pays you 100% of the bitcoins plus a bunch of devcoins that should add up to at least a few extra percent.

-MarkM-

Couldnt you use pywallet?

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 03:10:48 PM

A tool to implement paying out more than 100% to people merged-mining using p2pool with bitcoin as primary chain and devcoin as one of potentially many (currently about seven or eight or so) secondary chains.

Preferred is to pay them these extra (as in, above and beyond the bitcoins that p2pool sends them automatically in the coinbase transactions of the bitcoin blocks) earnings in the form of devcoins.

The extra payout tool bounty is now official, with a six share for the first developer, then 3 shares for the next. It must be open source, like all other devcoin funded development.

Great! There is already a Massively Merged Mining p2pool up and running at dvcstable01.devcoin.org:10332 but so far of course it only acts as a no-fee p2pool for bitcoins because we have no tool for sharing out the proceeds of selling all the merged mined coins it is mining alongside the bitcoins. (NMC, DVC, GRP, I0C, IXC, CLC and XGG.)

Still, if people feel confident that someday a tool will be built to share out revenue from sales of the merged coins, they could start using it. Even just for mining bitcoins a no fee pool is about the best you'll find, and once we get the tool(s) it will become in effect a negative-fee pool, a pool that pays you 100% of the bitcoins plus a bunch of devcoins that should add up to at least a few extra percent.

-MarkM-

Couldnt you use pywallet?

To figure out how many devcoins each miner should get?

The tool needed is a tool that, given coins to give out, gives them out to the miners based on how much mining they did and when the last bunch of extra coins was sent out, all of which has nothing to do with pywallet.

It needs to know which miner already got paid up to what date/time, how much all the miners together have worked since then, and then divide up the number of coins it is given to divvy up, likely also based on some date as of which that pay-period ended.

For example, some day all the coins of all types are swept away, and that moment is recorded as the end of a pay period, that is, miners will eventually receive awards based on mining they had done up to that point in time.

Then all those coins will have to be somehow converted into devcoins with which to pay the miners the bonus.

So some day a pile of devcoins is given to the divvying-up tool, and only the work miners had done up until the time the coins were swept off to be sold gets paid from that pile of devcoins. Any work they have done since will get its bonus out of the next cycle of sweeping up all the coins and sending them off to be sold.

A more advanced too would maybe do something like bitparking's mmpool does, divvying up each type of coin, sending miners that type of coin instead of generic pay in bitcoins or devcoins or whatever.

Such a tool though would need entire user-interfaces and so on, as it would need from each miner an address for each type of coin and it would need to interact with all the different types of coins' daemons to find out how many of each type of coin have been mined (and matured), and be able to do sends on each of the blockchains.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:47:03 PM

Hmm.. I really must be missing something here.  Why would someone pay for the servers to run a pool to then pay out more than 100%?

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 04:56:09 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2013, 05:13:44 PM by markm

Hmm.. I really must be missing something here.  Why would someone pay for the servers to run a pool to then pay out more than 100%?

The p2pool program pays out 100% of the bitcoins, and enables us to also merged mine NMC, DVC, GRP, IXC, I0C, CLC and XGG using the same hashes. So we are paying the miners currently only one of the eight types of coins we are mining.

This software the bounty is about will let us sell some or all of those other coins for devcoins, and send out the resulting devcoins to the miners.

Nothing forces us to sell 100% of the other coins, in fact some of them most people do not consider saleable at all, though we have added attempted estimates of what their values might be if we could find buyers to

http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/latestrates.inc

We could for example take our fee in the form of all the GRP, I0C, CLC and XGG, selling only the NMC and IXC for devcoins, sending the miners just the devcoins mined plus the devcoins we get for the NMC and IXC, since those are the only ones actually on the kind of exchanges people are used to and the only ones for which the "comparative mining profits" sites show an estimated added profit you get if you merged mine them.

Basically the tool is about dividing up among miners however many devcoins the admins decide to give the miners.

There is no way the tool can really be expected to know how much all the coins other than bitcoin are worth, nor need it even try to figure out how many of each type of coin we actually managed to mine.

Although, I suppose it could be handy if it did actually remember how many of each coin were present last time around, look how many are around this time around, and estimate using those latestrates how many devcoins all the altcoins might add up to if one could actually sell them for the prices on the latestrates tables.

Thing is, market-making scripts that use the latestrates values use them with volume markups, so at retail size sales those prices would be 3% higher or lower (higher when selling, lower when offering to buy), in middle sized lots 2% markup, and only in the largest lot-sizes would they use only a 1% markup.

So there is no way the admins will get exactly the latestrates; they would get less if selling to existing offers, or more if placing offers themselves, assuming anyone took their offers, that is. and that they used the normal market-maker type of scripts to place the offers.

So really so far all we can expect to do is periodically have a pile of devcoins from selling altcoins, and throw them into a routine that will divvy them up among miners.

NOTE: Actually another mode many pools might find useful is a mode that simply sends out bitcoins to miners as a fixed percent of the bitcoins that p2pool already sent them.

Basically find out how much bitcoin each miner got sent by p2pool since last time you ran, and send them whatever percent more. That way instead of making miners deal with devcoins at all some merged mining pools can simply state a fixed percentage above 100% of all the bitcoins that they will pay miners. That might appeal best to miners who only care about bitcoins, providing a way to incentivise them to come and help us secure devcoin and other merged mined chains.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Unthinkingbit (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:31:45 PM

Edit: The devcoin payment should go to the dvc address in the signature. That way, even if a scammer did somehow enter someone else's page, the devcoins would not go to the scammer. Indeed, that alone should eliminate the need for a ban list.

That's perfect solution now Smiley

I suggest a payment of two shares to Emfox if within a month he makes a faucet which pays people for devtome in their signature. If it also checks a random time in the future to pay them again if it's still in their signature, he would get another two shares, for a total of four. If he does not do this within a month, the payment would be converted to a bounty open to everyone.

Also, if the four shares are sent, then the faucet maintenance would be increased from 2/5 of a share to 3/5 of a share, and the amount to donation would be increased from 2/5 of a share to 4 shares.

Any objections, or should something be changed?

Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:33:07 PM

Has anyone rented their signature? If so, please post how much you rented it for and for how long.

Bitcoin!

Activity: 768

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:57:08 PM

Seems like vircurex is been hacked!

_///// [XVG] ★★★★★WE ARE ON  THE VERGE ★★★★★ [SCRYPT] /////_
_//// TOR // I2P // LINUX . WINDOWS . MAC . ANDROID . ELECTRUM . WEBWALLET . GITHUB // WEBSITE // RADIO // IRC ////_
Report to moderator 
_//// TOR // I2P // LINUX . WINDOWS . MAC . ANDROID . ELECTRUM . WEBWALLET . GITHUB // WEBSITE // RADIO // IRC ////_
Bitcoin!

Activity: 768

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:06:27 PM

Good to know!

Report to moderator 
Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:07:06 PM

Thanks for the info, from:
Please do not further deposit any coins with to Vircurex or Cryptostocks. At this point in time we need to assume a compromise of the wallet.

We will update this post once we have finished our investigation.

PS: As to the coins: All fiat currency accounts are accounted for, the vast majority of the coins are stored in cold wallets and thus are safe.

Whatever the problem, follow Kumala's advice and don't deposit any coins with Vircurex or Cryptostocks until he says it's safe.

weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:17:34 PM

thanks for the info. do btc-e have any more coins left to add? (that's half-joking)
twobits

Activity: 574

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:39:00 PM

thanks for the info. do btc-e have any more coins left to add? (that's half-joking)

Guess you mean aside from the obvious one.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 07:46:16 PM

Yes, i was informed by kumala the chains  BTC/LTC/TRC are affected.

BTC Trace:
https://blockchain.info/address/1PWQJu9AskoXEBYMod1KqPE6TTG4VYNz1P

weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 10:23:55 PM

Yes, i was informed by kumala the chains  BTC/LTC/TRC are affected.

BTC Trace:
https://blockchain.info/address/1PWQJu9AskoXEBYMod1KqPE6TTG4VYNz1P
Thanks, although that's not really what I meant.

twobits: guess so, actually they told me wednesday they wouldn't be adding it. Should have truted your wallet with more as it goes, thanks for working on that btw.
ondratra

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 12:48:02 AM

Hello,
i just made my first article on great project devtome http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=cryptography .

I would like to ask how often is word counting script run? (i am curious if i will be counted for this round as there is block 88899 generated at the time of writing this Cheesy)

Also I found very chaotic that there is now topic title on article pages - is it bug or feature? I mean when I come to some devtome article I can't see huge title "My article name" at the top as it is on wikipedia, etc.
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 02:39:03 AM

Is Vircurex not loading for anyone else?
https://vircurex.com/

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:07:54 AM

Is Vircurex not loading for anyone else?
https://vircurex.com/
Vircurex is suffering an issue:
The systems Vircurex.com and Cryptostocks.com have been taken offline over the weekend
Please do not deposit any further coins to your Vircurex accounts. We must assume that the wallet has been compromised.
Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 08:39:26 AM

The devtome earnings will be calculated at block 89,150, instead of the expected 89,000.

The earnings used to be calculated two weeks before the receiver files start getting loaded by the clients to ensure that even if one of the three file administrators did not upload their file quickly, there would be enough time for them to eventually come back from vacation or whatever. Since we now have five administrators we can afford to have one go on vacation, and have one site down, and we'd still have 3/5 files working. So the earnings can be calculated a bit later.

Calculating the earnings later means that the shares will be diluted a bit, in the round that the switch is taking place. So to even out the dilution between rounds, the earnings calculation for round 23 will be at 89,150, and the calculation for round 24 will be at 93,300. The other reason the calculation is being delayed this round is to give the remaining people who have a devda address a bit more time to get a computer address. To that end, the receiver files will not be made until round 89,300, to give people another day to send me a new address.

Since the block number is currently 88,934:
http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_block_explorer

that means the earnings will be calculated on Sunday May 12, and the receiver files will be made on Monday May 13.

Shattienator

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 01:17:11 PM

The following seeding nodes are set up:

1) node01.dvcnode.com - US East (Northern Virginia) - 54.235.112.178
2) node02.dvcnode.com - EU (Ireland) - 176.34.178.245
3) node03.dvcnode.com - Asia Pacific (Singapore) - 54.251.243.142
4) node04.dvcnode.com - US West (Oregon) - 54.214.34.123
5) node05.dvcnode.com - Asia Pacific (Sydney) - 54.252.166.125
6) node06.dvcnode.com - US West (Northern California) - 54.241.178.41
7) node07.dvcnode.com - Asia Pacific (Tokyo) - 54.249.112.25
8) node08.dvcnode.com - EU (Ireland) - 54.228.190.31

(dns record - Amazon EC2 area - associated IP address)

These nodes are dedicated to be devcoin nodes only, no web services at all. All ports except SSH and devcoin ones are blocked.
xchrix

Activity: 905
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 01:23:28 PM

thank you!! how are you funding this service?

The following seeding nodes are set up:

1) node01.dvcnode.com - US East (Northern Virginia) - 54.235.112.178
2) node02.dvcnode.com - EU (Ireland) - 176.34.178.245
3) node03.dvcnode.com - Asia Pacific (Singapore) - 54.251.243.142
4) node04.dvcnode.com - US West (Oregon) - 54.214.34.123
5) node05.dvcnode.com - Asia Pacific (Sydney) - 54.252.166.125
6) node06.dvcnode.com - US West (Northern California) - 54.241.178.41
7) node07.dvcnode.com - Asia Pacific (Tokyo) - 54.249.112.25
Cool node08.dvcnode.com - EU (Ireland) - 54.228.190.31

(dns record - Amazon EC2 area - associated IP address)

These nodes are dedicated to be devcoin nodes only, no web services at all. All ports except SSH and devcoin ones are blocked.
Shattienator

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 01:42:29 PM
Last edit: May 11, 2013, 02:04:38 PM by Shattienator

thank you!! how are you funding this service?

Some of my devcoin payments (for seeding nodes) were recently converted to BTC and sold nearly at the highest price so I have no problem with the  funding of these instances for about 3 years Smiley

Half of these instances are small ones, half - micro, but even micro instances was perfectly stable for a long time with average CPU usage at few % and memory usage newer reached 90% with 20+ connections.

Micro instances are free for one year and later can be converted to bigger ones (or earlier if any micro ones appear to be not enough).

I assume that it will be more reasonable to have several average servers, that one or two more powerfull.

P.S. Just checked - micro (smallest one, can get a lot more for free) instance with 39 active connections to node using only 64% of available memory - it is appears that even micro instance can handle seeding node with ease. In any case they have perfect networking (downloading complete devcoin chain takes about 2-3 minutes) and pretty stable - that is the main point.
Pages: « 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 ... 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: