Bitcoin Forum
December 03, 2016, 12:35:59 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 368638 times)
FinShaggy

Activity: 196

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 04:59:03 PM

Right, but let's say someone else like you, who has tons of material to post shows up and blasts devtome with 200,000 words. I agree that traffic will continue to grow, but I don't want to see a "pump and dump" scenario happen. Someone (with bad intentions) comes in and grabs up those 100,000,000 DVC, sells them right after for BTC or USD or whatever, that floods the market and thus we will see it crash.

I don't think that will happen.

1) 100,000 words is just too much. I posted 2 books I'm writing and didn't get that many...

2) I don't think it is possible to get 100,000,000 coins... I get your point, I am just making my own that 100,000 shares would probably be like 40,000,000 DVC as long as Unthinkingbit keeps writing every round.

3) If they flood the market, that will peak interest. Just like with BTC, every time they get cheap, EVERYONE comes and buys a few. The price of DVC going down isn't a bad thing unless you only have short term vision.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:01:39 PM

Devtome is reaching a tipping point and I do not want to see the next 6 months full of people pumping it for 100+ shares and then just selling out, crashing the price, and generally not actually helping DVC in the long term. This is also my fear.

EDIT: of course though once there are enough writers, no one writer will have a huge impact on the generation share value, as there will just be too many people writing, I anticipate this will be in roughly six months from my rough intuitive projections. Highly scientific Smiley

Agreed, this is the tipping point and I give it the same amount of time, but I like putting a short end on it too, so 3-6 months is my guess. That's when they will be worth 1 penny each or more (in my estimation).

And I think people will flood in, but  don't think too many people are just going to "Cash out and leave" because they can come back every month and make more. Smiley

markm
Legendary

Activity: 1778

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:03:01 PM

2) I don't think it is possible to get 100,000,000 coins...

A round is 180,000,000 coins; not sure if that is before or after the miners take their 10%.

Oh duh it'd be after, else it'd be 200,000,000 coins. Silly me. Elementary math.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Balthozar

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:04:00 PM

Yes, exactly.

If Stephen King decides to donate all his novels to Devtome, he can post the 30 or 50 or whatever is decided thousands of words per round directly to the devtome through the next umpteen decades, along with articles about his miraculous rejuvenation treatments that allow him to live long enough, and/or we can spawn an "entire works of literature hosted in their entirety" site alongside devtome where he can plop an entire novel at a time at maybe a share per novel plus advertising revenue, or whatever compromise we need to come up with to get our hands on such a popular body of work. Smiley

-MarkM-

Right, but Stephen King, just a hunch, probably isn't looking to make DVC by posting his novels to a small site for the rest of his life. He has his career and his money. I, on the other hand, am a college student full time, that isn't employed for that fact, and this is a way for me to make a little extra money, it's more of an investment though, because I'm not going to take my DVC and cash them out, I am going to save them, give some away, and other things to help the market grow, then after a while, if I need $100 I can just sell off $100 worth of DVC.

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:balthozar | Earn Devcoins by Writing | Virtual Currency Exchange
DVC:1kFhM8vtEzbZ43Z5wcadPvNrb4xFXbgze | YAC:YHjjwLgjVfsnANTeb9eKeU3rtyKsFNvVCq | BQC:bUu1W2JEQzVrbFvv3EU4gW6KY2J939JDe1 | WDC:WTqa866TFP6d9HWGpYm2AztDNNMFmQ365s | FRC:1N2x7s8F78WiSFCFQPszLqhWsP6Kk1RXVp | NVC:4KcR3Dcmxz1ZDLK3VA9oHxpG4C3oYMCPeV | FTC:6ugwSRQNXQKNb5EVwQVn4CLoZNpiitiQzt | PPC:PSnEL3tmJejkdAAwiBLxSqbCide1voSKXY
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:04:16 PM

3) If they flood the market, that will peak interest. Just like with BTC, every time they get cheap, EVERYONE comes and buys a few. The price of DVC going down isn't a bad thing unless you only have short term vision.

Ex:
I am glad DVC does not cost $10 a coin right now, because I can post advertisements on YouTube saying "Come buy 20 coins for 1 penny!"... I really don't think it would be as easy to get people to want to buy $10 coins, no matter who they support, unless someone makes a store to spend them in.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:05:15 PM

A round is 180,000,000 coins; not sure if that is before or after the miners take their 10%.

Oh duh it'd be after, else it'd be 200,000,000 coins. Silly me. Elementary math.

-MarkM-

Yeah it's "possible" but I don't think 100,000,000 coins for one person in a round (besides unthinkingbit) is achievable.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:05:57 PM

And I think people will flood in, but  don't think too many people are just going to "Cash out and leave" because they can come back every month and make more. Smiley

Not with their entire lifetime ouvre of previously written work they can't, if they already posted the whole shebang during their first round. They'd sign up, dump their entire lifetime's accumulated writings (maybe from back in their college days when they actually did write stuff), dump the resulting coins for cash or bitcoins and not be back (because writing isn't even something they do, it is something the youth they once were once did...)

Plus, who is going to pay people how much to read hundreds of thousands of words per month and check it all for originality and such?

We need some limit if only to make it barely possible the stuff might actually get read in time to see it is all just "Jack is a dull boy, REDRUM" repeated tens of thousands of times...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Balthozar

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:06:43 PM

-MarkM-

Yeah it's "possible" but I don't think 100,000,000 coins for one person in a round (besides unthinkingbit) is achievable.

It was an example. The numbers can be whatever you want.

http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:balthozar | Earn Devcoins by Writing | Virtual Currency Exchange
DVC:1kFhM8vtEzbZ43Z5wcadPvNrb4xFXbgze | YAC:YHjjwLgjVfsnANTeb9eKeU3rtyKsFNvVCq | BQC:bUu1W2JEQzVrbFvv3EU4gW6KY2J939JDe1 | WDC:WTqa866TFP6d9HWGpYm2AztDNNMFmQ365s | FRC:1N2x7s8F78WiSFCFQPszLqhWsP6Kk1RXVp | NVC:4KcR3Dcmxz1ZDLK3VA9oHxpG4C3oYMCPeV | FTC:6ugwSRQNXQKNb5EVwQVn4CLoZNpiitiQzt | PPC:PSnEL3tmJejkdAAwiBLxSqbCide1voSKXY
Balthozar

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:07:10 PM

And I think people will flood in, but  don't think too many people are just going to "Cash out and leave" because they can come back every month and make more. Smiley

Not with their entire lifetime ouvre of previously written work they can't, if they already posted the whole shebang during their first round. They'd sign up, dump their entire lifetime's accumulated writings (maybe from back in their college days when they actually did write stuff), dump the resulting coins for cash or bitcoins and not be back (because writing isn't even something they do, it is something the youth they once were once did...)

-MarkM-

And this is exactly more like what I was trying to get across.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:08:31 PM

-MarkM-

Again,
I know it is possible. I just don't think it will happen enough to matter, maybe 1 guy out of every 100.
This is a generation of Bloggers and Online Critics. This is what people are WAITING for.

Balthozar

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:09:56 PM

-MarkM-

Again,
I know it is possible. I just don't think it will happen enough to matter, maybe 1 guy out of every 100.
This is a generation of Bloggers and Online Critics. This is what people are WAITING for.

But it only takes that one guy to hurt the rest of the community for a long time to come.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:12:03 PM

He's right though that vast spews of weird and or nonweird and or any other adjective material is just what the blogger generation seems to want. A large volume of words would be good if it were in the eyes of some readership or other worth visiting the pages to read.

I do worry though whether 1000 words is really worth about 10 or 40 hours of "real work on real problems".

Maybe the lack of income from other sources has led to the estimations of how lucrative a wiki could become to have gotten out of synch with the nowadays lucrativeness of other projects? If we wwere running a cryptocoin exchange as well as the wki, which would make more money, I wonder? Maybe coding is no longer as non-lucrative as once it might have been? Or could be made so, if we could figure a way to get a cut for the project of the fruits of the labour/code?

-MarkM-

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:12:12 PM

But it only takes that one guy to hurt the rest of the community for a long time to come.

I don't see how it hurts the community. He writes, which helps Devtome get traffic. And he sells his DVC for cheap, which allows you to pick up some cheap DVC.

If you look at the big picture, that guy is the only one losing anything, for brief personal gain.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:13:56 PM

He's right though that vast spews of weird and or nonweird and or any other adjective material is just what the blogger generation seems to want. A large volume of words would be good if it were in the eyes of some readership or other worth visiting the pages to read.

-MarkM-

It's not just a "large volume of words"...
Yes, if someone comes and posts spam, it's just words.

But if they post a paper they wrote in college, they are really just helping Search Engine Optimization, as well as giving other members something to read and possibly base their next article on.

WildElf

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:17:20 PM

Devtome writers--
I sent an email to unthinkingbit this morning explaining that yes there were some articles that were posted that we not mine and they have since been removed.  However, I stand by my original submissions namely:

DODMERB_Cloud_Computing
Identity and Access Management
Navy Cloud Computing
Zachman Framework Implementation
Software Assurance

There were written for coursework taken in a graduate program that I recently completed.  I do not condone plagarism and wish to continue contributing to Devtome should you allow me.  I do apologize that I did not safeguard my account as diligently as I should have and take full responsibility for actions taken in my absence.  I fully realize that in order to produce a quality work, there must be a quality reputation.

Please feel free to contact me directly via personal message should you have any questions.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:17:35 PM

-MarkM-

It's not just a "large volume of words"...
Yes, if someone comes and posts spam, it's just words.

But if they post a paper they wrote in college, they are really just helping Search Engine Optimization, as well as giving other members something to read and possibly base their next article on.

Yes. I wasn't meaning necessarily disparaging adjectives. Think adjectives like hip, modern, classic, classical, intriguing, fantastical, lyrical, imaginative, and on and on and on, different ones appealing to different crowds. (Punky, gritty, visceral, explicit, stark, gothic, horrific, suspenseful... and on and on...)

-MarkM-

Balthozar

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:20:51 PM

Devtome writers--
I sent an email to unthinkingbit this morning explaining that yes there were some articles that were posted that we not mine and they have since been removed.  However, I stand by my original submissions namely:

DODMERB_Cloud_Computing
Identity and Access Management
Navy Cloud Computing
Zachman Framework Implementation
Software Assurance

There were written for coursework taken in a graduate program that I recently completed.  I do not condone plagarism and wish to continue contributing to Devtome should you allow me.  I do apologize that I did not safeguard my account as diligently as I should have and take full responsibility for actions taken in my absence.  I fully realize that in order to produce a quality work, there must be a quality reputation.

Please feel free to contact me directly via personal message should you have any questions.

I had the same issue regarding a legal article I posted. I removed it, but plan on writing in my own words the laws which it described.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:24:42 PM

Maybe what we could also consider, if there are some folk putting out huge bodies of work, could be to have a "writer's round" periodically that everyone who is not a (prolific) writer can expect in advance to get hardly any coins from because that round all the major writers get to dump huge amounts of writing on the wiki, so almost all the coins that round go to writers...

Personally I have not really tried hard yet to dig up all my old writings as my strategy was generally to make at least some effort to try to keep up with Unthinkingbit but without ending up driving him to pour out even more writing as an attempt to prevent me from dipping too deep into his accustomed stipend. Smiley

I figured if I end up driving him to ever greater volumes of output, that would just make me have to work harder to catch up, so I tried to mostly just not fall too far behind. Smiley

Also some of my stories and novels I am still not decided the best way/venue/copyright to use for them so not sure yet which I want to put into the free open source content domain.

-MarkM-

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:28:37 PM

Yes. I wasn't meaning necessarily disparaging adjectives. Think adjectives like hip, modern, classic, classical, intriguing, fantastical, lyrical, imaginative, and on and on and on, different ones appealing to different crowds. (Punky, gritty, visceral, explicit, stark, gothic, horrific, suspenseful... and on and on...)

-MarkM-

I think it will be ok.
Are you saying you are worried that someone might post an article they wrote in the 90s and we'll start getting "the wrong crowd"?

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1064

Crypto Addicto

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:30:13 PM

-MarkM-

I think it will be ok.
Are you saying you are worried that someone might post an article they wrote in the 90s and we'll start getting "the wrong crowd"?

No he means it's a good thing Smiley I am excited to start putting sci fi up next round  Grin

Pages: « 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... 176 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.