Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:27:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 ... 725 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Spondoolies-Tech - carrier grade, data center ready mining rigs  (Read 1260002 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:03:29 PM

I am guessing my 75 cents a gh was a good choice when Spondoolies does deliver.

I have to say, even according to my pessimistic estimations I think that that will probably be a good deal.

Can't say the same about $0.85/gh in september.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:09:30 PM

I am guessing my 75 cents a gh was a good choice when Spondoolies does deliver.

I have to say, even according to my pessimistic estimations I think that that will probably be a good deal.

Can't say the same about $0.85/gh in september.

$0.85/gh in September... maybe.

If you are keen to get into it and stay in then I think the SP30 is a very solid choice you would really have to be looking to buy in bulk and get a bigger reduction. Spondoolies are not shy. Get a GB together... hmmm maybe?

The problem I have is I am not mining bitcoin lol. Grin

I'm betting long on another coin.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 07:33:27 PM

Spondoolies

Can you provide some more information on the hosting arrangements for the SP30 group buy, still sat on the email asking if I want it shipped or hosted, was going to email you but figured some other people might be in the same position so a public answer would be better.

It says 6 month minimum, how is this going to be charged. All 6 months in advance, 1 month in advance, 1 month in arrears.

Will we have remote access to the miners, my current SP10's are hosted with you and the biggest drawback is not having access (though support is very quick)

TIA

The DC requires 6 month minimum and $100 setup fee.

We'll charge in advance:

Bulk shipping cost ~$100 - we'll figure out the exact cost later
$100 - Setup fee
5 X $290 - $310 - 5 months of hosting, depending on the selected power mode

No remote access, we'll set pool configuration. Changing will be done by emails.

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:40:01 PM

Spondoolies

Can you provide some more information on the hosting arrangements for the SP30 group buy, still sat on the email asking if I want it shipped or hosted, was going to email you but figured some other people might be in the same position so a public answer would be better.

It says 6 month minimum, how is this going to be charged. All 6 months in advance, 1 month in advance, 1 month in arrears.

Will we have remote access to the miners, my current SP10's are hosted with you and the biggest drawback is not having access (though support is very quick)

TIA

We'll charge in advance:

$100 - Setup fee

No remote access, we'll set pool configuration. Changing will be done by emails.

Can September orders get in on this arrangements or only GB?
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 07:42:16 PM

This is the DC: http://serverfarmrealty.com/data-centers/titan/

For bulk customers, assuming they'll have space and cooling capacity, we'll do an intro with the DC owner.

Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 07:45:55 PM

Spondoolies

TIA

We'll charge in advance:

$100 - Setup fee

Can September orders get in on this arrangements or only GB?

Unfortunately not.

raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:48:35 PM

which coin, if you don't mind me asking?
I'm currently invested in others too.
PM if preferable

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:49:21 PM

which coin, if you don't mind me asking?
I'm currently invested in others too.
PM if preferable

Won't say...

Wouldn't want anyone to die with me on this journey.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
JakeTri

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:52:24 PM

Spondoolies

TIA

We'll charge in advance:

$100 - Setup fee

In the group buy thread you mention about a "cloud control panel to allow full access to miner web GUI" ... is that off the table ?

Here is the quote from the other thread:

WA State DC hosting deal for SP30:

100$ - one time installation fee (covering work, PDU cable, Ethernet cable, Rack-Mounting "ears")
290$ per month for 6 months commitment
One month deposit is needed

Backed up by UPS and generator.  ASHREA environmental SLA.

Per the group sale deal, first month (290$) or free shipping to your chosen destination is included.

If you choose to be included in this hosting deal, we'll charge you for shipping.
Assuming enough customers will choose to host, we'll ship bulk and reduce shipping costs. We don't have the exact figure yet.

We're working on cloud control panel that will allow full access to the miner web GUI.

BTC donations always welcome: 1JakeTriwbahMYp1rSfJbTn7Afd1w62p2q
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:53:49 PM

This is the DC: http://serverfarmrealty.com/data-centers/titan/

For bulk customers, assuming they'll have space and cooling capacity, we'll do an intro with the DC owner.

Titan? Impressive descriptions Wink
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 07:54:01 PM

In the group buy thread you mention about a "cloud control panel to allow full access to miner web GUI" ... is that off the table ?

Indeed, it's off the table. Zvisha addressed it in the past.

Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 08:46:19 PM

Spondoolies

TIA

We'll charge in advance:

$100 - Setup fee

The email said that hosting required a 6 month commitment, which would indicate to me that it required 6 months up front. What other commitment would there be for a company selling hosting to a bunch of geeks on the internet from all over the world?

You won't be required to pay all up front for the 6 months. The commitment would be that you agree and commit to pay for the next 6 months of hosting. I am sure that if you won't pay starting any month that won't be a problem because they still have your equipment and they will not release it to you until you pay up + maybe you will get blacklisted with them. That's how I see it at least. Things don't need to be complicated at all.

Looks like it is a pay in advance setup. With one month free as agreed in the Group buy. Not a bad thing, just helps clarify things a bit.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 08:50:11 PM

Spondoolies

TIA

We'll charge in advance:

$100 - Setup fee

The email said that hosting required a 6 month commitment, which would indicate to me that it required 6 months up front. What other commitment would there be for a company selling hosting to a bunch of geeks on the internet from all over the world?

You won't be required to pay all up front for the 6 months. The commitment would be that you agree and commit to pay for the next 6 months of hosting. I am sure that if you won't pay starting any month that won't be a problem because they still have your equipment and they will not release it to you until you pay up + maybe you will get blacklisted with them. That's how I see it at least. Things don't need to be complicated at all.

Looks like it is a pay in advance setup. With one month free as agreed in the Group buy. Not a bad thing, just helps clarify things a bit.

Correct.

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 09:03:39 PM

It seems that it's an advance payment. My statement was based on personal speculation.

Tigggger
Legendary

Activity: 1098

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 09:42:40 PM

We'll charge in advance:

$100 - Setup fee

Thanks for the update, shame about the remote access, will have to do some more pondering Tongue

Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 10:03:34 PM

We'll charge in advance:

$100 - Setup fee

Thanks for the update, shame about the remote access, will have to do some more pondering Tongue

It's too much effort. 80% / 20% rule. Actually, 95% of our customers are content with configuration change by email.

antirack

Activity: 489
Merit: 500

Immersionist

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:56:01 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 11:11:07 PM by antirack

But please do describe to me how you will be competing with (possibly immersion cooled) equipment with the best W/GH ratio and lowest energy prices on the planet (let´s say 5ct/kwh) by the end of 2014.
The immersion cooling is just about nearly pointless with Bitcoin mining. The only thing that its proponents bring to table are workarounds for lack of proper design and engineering. Immersion cooling with 3M engineered fluids only makes sense if there are real constraints on the cooled equipment: speed of light limitation, unusual complexity, high density, etc. None of that really matter for Bitcoin mining.

If your goal is low PUE then simply use typical evaporative cooling well known in chemical process engineering and refrigeration. Most of the required equipment is already available, all you'll need to do is bring a chemical/thermodynamic process engineer to the table with the PCB design engineer, who is already working for Spondoolies. Together they need to design a proper heat exchanger for the mining chips and the associated buck converters. I already asked Spondoolies if SP30 motherboard was designed for cutting into 15 smaller boards. Apparently not, probably because the PCB design engineer wasn't given this as a requirement. So they cut the heathsinks into 15 smaller pieces.

They need to conceptually invert that design: single large liquid heat exchanger and multitude of small PCBs hosting the hot chips is the way to go long term.

3M's profit margins on their immersion cooling fluids are so high, that they require scientific notation to fit in the spreadsheets. Just use common chilling/refrigeration equipment instead where the profit margins are in expressed in two digits.

We more or less agree with this analysis.

3M Novec surely could be cheaper, but what many people forget is that you only need a tiny little bit of it. You can cool 4kW of hardware with 200cc or 6.8oz of fluid if you want (that's what's tested, surely not the limit). That costs less than my usual double espresso per kW or less than a pizza for the complete 4kW. I would prefer reducing my hardware to a simple chips on boards any time over creating your a heat exchanger or my own buck regulators and put it in bulky boxes with cables.

It's simple, really. Every facility you build has a price tag and its own set of pro and cons. Usually we compare cooling, and only on the device level, but there is much more than that to consider (power, labor, manufacturing etc).

DataTank Immersion (3M Novec): <$0.65/W (PUE 1.01) -> $650/kW
Mineral Oil Cooling: $3.14/W (PUE 1.15)
Economizer (evaporative): $7/W (PUE 1.08) -> FB $750/kW
Water Cooling: $10/W (PUE 1.10)
Cheap air cooling: $11/W (PUE 1.3-1.5? HK is PUE 2.2!)

To put this in perspective, Titan has a PUE of 1.25 (25% of electricity go to cooling).

For you as hardware manufacturer, DataTank/Novec Immersion (<$0.65/W) has further advantages on the mining level:
- Includes power supplies, networking, everything required to start mining
- You don't need enclosures, heatsinks, assembly work, power supplies, all that
- I estimate that will make a 20% to 50% difference on manufacturing costs of your mining hardware
- You can ship your next hardware to the same customer in the same cheap form factor
- One single person can upgrade a whole container farm within hours
  (ie. vs. how many palettes full of heavy 2U boxes that need to go into dozens and dozens of racks)

Facebook prides itself for paying $7500/kW ($210M total) for their Prineville data center in Oregon (it's a 28MW facility). It took them years to build, they have created thousands of jobs, and they evaporate 7 liters of water per kilowatt per day.

Ghetto Mining? Could we consider KNC as ghetto style considering it's scale?  Rest assured it's probably not far from Facebook's pricing, after all the KNC site was built by the same people that built Facebook's place (The Node Pole).

Here's some more info and an analysis of the KNC and other mines:
https://www.googledrive.com/host/0ByWHHc0u_thNMWtQeDNiT2duU0E/Analysis_of_Large-Scale_Bitcoin_Mining_Operations.pdf

Naturally, businesses need to make money, so we are all getting charged what it costs plus some more. As a matter of fact, annual hosting costs are now exceeding the price of Bitcoin mining gear itself. Just check the hosting thread and do some maths. And on top of that, you are paying for enclusures, shipping, labour, heatsinks, power supplies, all that. Some of it repeatedly if you are a long term miner.

Edit: if you are wondering, some of the above data is from here:
http://www.grcooling.com/data-center-cost-savings/
http://blog.schneider-electric.com/datacenter/2012/02/16/how-much-should-a-modular-data-center-cost/
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 11:10:43 PM

3M Novec surely could be cheaper, but what many people forget is that you only need a tiny little bit of it. You can cool 4kW of hardware with 200cc or 6.8oz of fluid if you want (that's what's tested, surely not the limit). That costs less than my usual double espresso per kW or less than a pizza for the complete 4kW. I would prefer reducing my hardware to a simple chips on boards any time over creating your a heat exchanger or my own buck regulators and put it in bulky boxes with cables.

It's simple, really. Every facility you build has a price tag and its own set of pro and cons. Usually we compare cooling, and only on the device level, but there is much more than that to consider (power, labor, manufacturing etc).

DataTank Immersion (3M Novec): <$0.65/W (PUE 1.01) -> $650/kW
Mineral Oil Cooling: $3.14/W (PUE 1.15)
Economizer (evaporative): $7/W (PUE 1.08) -> FB $750/kW
Water Cooling: $10/W (PUE 1.10)
Cheap air cooling: $11/W (PUE 1.3-1.5? HK is PUE 2.2!)

For you as hardware manufacturer, DataTank/Novec Immersion (<$0.65/W) has further advantages on the mining level:
- Includes power supplies, networking, everything required to start mining
- You don't need enclosures, heatsinks, assembly work, power supplies, all that
- I estimate that will make a 20% to 50% difference on manufacturing costs of your mining hardware
- You can ship your next hardware to the same customer in the same cheap form factor
- One single person can upgrade a whole container farm within hours
  (ie. vs. how many palettes full of heavy 2U boxes that need to go into dozens and dozens of racks)

Facebook prides itself for paying $7500/kW ($210M total) for their Prineville data center in Oregon (it's a 28MW facility). It took them years to build, they have created thousands of jobs, and they evaporate 7 liters of water per kilowatt per day.

Ghetto Mining? Could we consider KNC as ghetto style considering it's scale?  Rest assured it's probably not far from Facebook's pricing, after all the KNC site was built by the same people that built Facebook's place (The Node Pole).

Here's some more info and an analysis of the KNC and other mines:
https://www.googledrive.com/host/0ByWHHc0u_thNMWtQeDNiT2duU0E/Analysis_of_Large-Scale_Bitcoin_Mining_Operations.pdf

Naturally, businesses need to make money, so we are all getting charged what it costs plus some more.

Edit: if you are wondering, some of the above data is from here:
http://www.grcooling.com/data-center-cost-savings/
http://blog.schneider-electric.com/datacenter/2012/02/16/how-much-should-a-modular-data-center-cost/

Dude, I'm not forgetting anything. All I'm saying is mount the Bitcoin mining chips (on small PCBs) directly onto your secondary cooling loop. There are no patents involved in that and exactly zero has to be paid to 3M or any other "engineered fluid" vendor.

But it would also zero your commissions, so I fully understand why you keep pretending that you can't understand the difference. Bitcoin mining is not a "data center". It is an "embarrassingly parallelizable" problem where speed-of-light or any similar limitation do not apply.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
antirack

Activity: 489
Merit: 500

Immersionist

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 11:34:34 PM

All I'm saying is mount the Bitcoin mining chips (on small PCBs) directly onto your secondary cooling loop.

Secondary cooling loop filled with what?

Rest assured that there is no commission from 3M. Find a better/cheaper liquid and we'll use it Wink
JakeTri

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 11:54:18 PM

Spondoolies

TIA

We'll charge in advance:

$100 - Setup fee

Correct.

It would be interesting to know if hosting deal can be extended past the initial 6 months ...
I see some possible outcomes after the 6 month are over:
1) continue with the Titan hosting by your own using same or maybe new prices (possible higher) for small contracts.
2) continue with the Titan hosting by extending the existing bulk contract using same or maybe new prices.
3) cannot continue with Titan and everyone will have to ship the miner to their location.

BTC donations always welcome: 1JakeTriwbahMYp1rSfJbTn7Afd1w62p2q
Pages: « 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 ... 725 »
  Print  

Jump to: