Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:05:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Where would you prefer the VRC/VRM exchange pair be?
Bittrex
Poloniex
Both
Other

Pages: « 1 ... 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 [397] 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 ... 961 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][VRC] VeriCoin Proof of Stake-Time Currency | New Roadmap Released  (Read 1355397 times)
Artoodeetoo

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:13:08 PM

I just want to know why they targeted only VRC...

PRobably because it had the most in its hot wallet...

DASH #DashDC #DashIntoDigitalCash

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
barabbas
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:13:26 PM

Because it is an easy target... if you own 4.5 million coins. Or, in the immortal words of Gordon Gekko, because "it can be done, damnit!". A 51% attack is a guaranteed success. The Black Hand owns 4.5 million VRC.

Quite simple, really.
Profetu

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:15:24 PM

Main topic of conversation at the party for sure.

Dadams

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:15:42 PM

NOISE

Precedent of a rollback would be horrible.
Rollback is not possible without losing all credibility.
What the hell is the use of a cryptocurrency if this is the way it will be played.
How many rollbacks in the future?
Oh hell I made a mistake in my payment, lets just roll it all back.
Might as well just stick to central banks and credit cards.
Why not lobby to get BTC rolled back to before MTGOX lost all money?
People lost way more there.
No rollback.
No fork.

The people at fault here is Mintpal and the hacker.

Only person who can actually save vericoin at this stage is the hacker.
Funny thought.

Maybe the hacker will want ransom in BTC Cheesy

Hacker just has to send most of the vericoins to irretrievable address.
This will destroy the coins, drop supply, raise price.
Mintpal will be shamed. Hacker will be hated but forgiven/forgotten.
Vericoin will survive.
Hacker will make money as fee for showing Mintpals poor security.
majeis

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:16:36 PM

Unless MP releases more info about the hack, there's not going to be a more widely-accepted answer other than:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Haters+Gonna+Hate

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
▀██████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████
BTC  ◉PLAY  ◉XMR  ◉DOGE  ◉STRAT  ◉ETH  ◉GRC  ◉LTC  ◉DASH  ◉PPC
     ▄▄██████████████▄▄
  ▄██████████████████████▄        █████
▄██████████████████████████▄      █████
████ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ████     ▄██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ▄██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ██
████ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ████ ▄██████▄
████████████████████████████ ████████
███████▀            ▀███████ ▀██████▀
█████▀                ▀█████
▀██████████████████████████▀
  ▀▀████████████████████▀▀ 
DICE           
BLACKJACK
PLINKO       
VIDEO POKER
ROULETTE     
LOTTO            
opsguy

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:17:08 PM

They said the fork is going to happen and that's probably the best course of action for the coin. My concern is that in the rush to get the fork done there will not be sufficient communications from the dev team and key stakeholders. I run several public VRC nodes with lots of connections. What can I be doing to make sure the fork is successful? Should I shut my nodes down now or leave them running? Do I just need to download/compile/restart when the new code becomes available? Is there anything else I can do to help the network converge onto the correct chain? I hope this doesn't turn into a DRK style fork where the key people think everything is fine but everyone else is seeing random forks all over the place. Some clear communication from the key people would be great, I'm ready to help--just let me know how.
eiskalt

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:19:10 PM

so what happens if such a centralized dev team gets leaned upon by gov which includes a gag order not to say they are being leaned upon?

it looks like a single point off failure.

What assures you that this didn´t already happen to bitcoin or any other coin?

Here it is about theft of peoples property and if the only tool you have left to discourage theft is a hardfork, than it is the right thing to do. Yes, it is experimental but at some point it has to be done by someone anyway.

No.
The answer is not to protect broken systems.
The answer is to create better systems that can't be broken.
If people have not learned NOT to trust centralized things like Mintpal and Mtgox.. here is another lesson for you.
Everyone else take note.
You have money on Poloniex? Bittrex? Bter? anywhere else centralized? This can happen to you.

Nothing is broken, when you roll back a fraudulent transaction by hardforking. The system works, trust will be restored. It is not a handicap to hardfork, it is an advantage.

The more I think about it, the clearer I can see, that this dogma of "never-roll-back-a-transaction,-even-if-it-is-fraudulent,-because-you-must-protect-the-integrity-of-the-blockchain" was invented by the very same scammers that committed all these thefts.
pnosker

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:20:14 PM

They said the fork is going to happen and that's probably the best course of action for the coin. My concern is that in the rush to get the fork done there will not be sufficient communications from the dev team and key stakeholders. I run several public VRC nodes with lots of connections. What can I be doing to make sure the fork is successful? Should I shut my nodes down now or leave them running? Do I just need to download/compile/restart when the new code becomes available? Is there anything else I can do to help the network converge onto the correct chain? I hope this doesn't turn into a DRK style fork where the key people think everything is fine but everyone else is seeing random forks all over the place. Some clear communication from the key people would be great, I'm ready to help--just let me know how.

Send me an email, pnosker@vericoin.info. You will need to reclone/compile.

Support the VeriFund Endowment.
VRC: VFEndownxxnHea9mv59kZx8c7TysGbndYx
Dadams

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:25:34 PM

so what happens if such a centralized dev team gets leaned upon by gov which includes a gag order not to say they are being leaned upon?

Here it is about theft of peoples property and if the only tool you have left to discourage theft is a hardfork, than it is the right thing to do. Yes, it is experimental but at some point it has to be done by someone anyway.

No.
If people have not learned NOT to trust centralized things like Mintpal and Mtgox.. here is another lesson for you.
Everyone else take note.
You have money on Poloniex? Bittrex? Bter? anywhere else centralized? This can happen to you.

Nothing is broken, when you roll back a fraudulent transaction by hardforking. The system works, trust will be restored. It is not a handicap to hardfork, it is an advantage.

The more I think about it, the clearer I can see, that this dogma of "never-roll-back-a-transaction,-even-if-it-is-fraudulent,-because-you-must-protect-the-integrity-of-the-blockchain" was invented by the very same scammers that committed all these thefts.

Nonsense.
If fraud CAN happen it is broken.
If the whole system can come crashing down because of one fraudulent transaction then it is very broken.
Why do you think Bitcoin is worth so much more than anything else?  Because it has survived stuff like this and worse.

If you need a rollback then the system doesn't work.
If there is a rollback then there is no trust.
What a rollback shows is that it doesn't work and can't be trusted... it needs to be fixed.
A broken system.
If Mintpal got stolen all its Bitcoin do you think there would be a rollback to protect daytraders?
Ask yourself why not.
What is the difference here?

The only answer here is to move to decentralization.
Mintpal failed. Mtgox failed. Central things will always fail at some point.
pb2014

Activity: 32

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:26:28 PM

here's the problem with a rollback: You sell me 100 oz. of GOLD, not fiat, not bitcoin, not pork bellies (tho the pork bellies wld be same as Au) for an equivalent amount of VRC.

You and I agree that VRC has value, so we agree to the exchange, I send you VRC, you ship me gold coins.

A bad man steals many VRC from MintPal. Blockchain gets rolled back. I get my VRC back.

*But I Still Have Your Gold.*

No. When you get the money from the rollback then you pay the guy who sold you the gold. Unless you want a broken knee cap.
buy4crypto

Activity: 434

freecrypto.top

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 10:30:10 PM

Because it is an easy target... if you own 4.5 million coins. Or, in the immortal words of Gordon Gekko, because "it can be done, damnit!". A 51% attack is a guaranteed success. The Black Hand owns 4.5 million VRC.

Quite simple, really.

FUD FUD FUD

Wonder what you are doing here, mad about thieves not getting paid huh? I wonder how many thieves we pissed off today, must have been a big team, Seems like all of blackcoins finest community members have shown up here today, coincidence I am sure! There community is known for having such nice people involved!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
████ - freecrypto.top - btcinfo.top - DIGITAL CURRENCY DIRECTORIES - freeMonero.comfunbtc.xyz  ████
Dadams

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:34:28 PM

All hail the protection of the middlemen.
God protect our bankers.
God protect our exchangers and money lenders.
God protect our daytraders and manipulators.
eiskalt

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:34:41 PM

No.
Everyone else take note.

Nonsense.
If fraud CAN happen it is broken.
If the whole system can come crashing down because of one fraudulent transaction then it is broken.
Why do you think Bitcoin is worth so much more than anything else?  Because it has survived stuff like this and worse.

If you need a rollback then the system doesn't work.
If there is a rollback then there is no trust.
What a rollback shows is that it doesn't work and can't be trusted... it needs to be fixed.
A broken system.
If Mintpal got stolen all its Bitcoin do you think there would be a rollback to protect daytraders?
Ask yourself why not.
What is the difference here?

The only answer here is to move to decentralization.
Mintpal failed. Mtgox failed. Central things will always fail at some point.

So Bitcoin is broken a hundred times, you should sell them all.

By the way, the exchange system is decentralized. You seem to have a different definition of central and decentral as everyone else here has.

And you are legitimizing theft, as all hardcore anarchists do. Theft is a crime which cannot be allowed in a civil society.
nonny12

Activity: 362

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:35:56 PM

buy4crypto

Activity: 434

freecrypto.top

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 10:36:26 PM

All I need to know is the best devs in crypto are here working on a greater issue than vericoin. It stepped up to help protect 2 million in theft by making an unpopular descision for some, popular for others. As you see, the dev's didn't put out a new wallet in a rush, they are working IMO to fix the issue, like the VERICOIN devs do, why? because they are quality.

Ask yourself, if your other alts had this happen, what would the dev response have been?

Good chance you would be losing your coins to a thief.

I feel safe as ever with VERICOIN, exchanges on the other hand, I will be much more skeptical of.

████ - freecrypto.top - btcinfo.top - DIGITAL CURRENCY DIRECTORIES - freeMonero.comfunbtc.xyz  ████
gustav

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:36:38 PM

because we are not told the full story
loges

Activity: 308

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:37:14 PM

All hail the protection of the middlemen.
God protect our bankers.
God protect our exchangers and money lenders.
God protect our daytraders and manipulators.

Finally someone said this.
kd5zgl

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:39:13 PM

here's the problem with a rollback: You sell me 100 oz. of GOLD, not fiat, not bitcoin, not pork bellies (tho the pork bellies wld be same as Au) for an equivalent amount of VRC.

You and I agree that VRC has value, so we agree to the exchange, I send you VRC, you ship me gold coins.

A bad man steals many VRC from MintPal. Blockchain gets rolled back. I get my VRC back.

*But I Still Have Your Gold.*

No. When you get the money from the rollback then you pay the guy who sold you the gold. Unless you want a broken knee cap.

If I'm honest, yes. If I'm Gordon Gekko, no. You see, I've had the gold shipped to a drop box under a false name. My point is this: there is no way to remove the intrinsic value of the gold. That's hard-coded into its atoms. In my view, a big part of the intrinsic value of cryptocurrency is the finality of the transaction, even when someone has made a mistake. Honest people will always try to do the right thing. Dishonest people, not so much.

Also, moving forward, and this applies to *every* coin: Who decides when to roll the chain back? The Chairman of the Federal Reserve of (fill_In_the_blank)coin?
tigerwood0432

Activity: 493
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:39:55 PM

All I need to know is the best devs in crypto are here working on a greater issue than vericoin. It stepped up to help protect 2 million in theft by making an unpopular descision for some, popular for others. As you see, the dev's didn't put out a new wallet in a rush, they are working IMO to fix the issue, like the VERICOIN devs do, why? because they are quality.

Ask yourself, if your other alts had this happen, what would the dev response have been?

Good chance you would be losing your coins to a thief.

I feel safe as ever with VERICOIN, exchanges on the other hand, I will be much more skeptical of.

+1 i have more confidence in VRC than ever now . NOT any BOOBS-COIN dev  will have the courage to do it . Great decision patrick.

▄███████████████████████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████████████████████
██username 12345█████████████████████████████
███▒▒▒▒▒▒▒███████████████████████████████████
██1234567███12345678██12345678███12345678████
████████████████████████████████████████████
████▒▒▒▒▒▒███████████████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████████████████████████▀
CryptoPay

GET IT NOW
Dadams

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:40:56 PM

So Bitcoin is broken a hundred times, you should sell them all.

By the way, the exchange system is decentralized. You seem to have a different definition of central and decentral as everyone else here has.

And you are legitimizing theft, as all hardcore anarchists do. Theft is a crime which cannot be allowed in a civil society.

Centralized = Mintpal in this scenario. A central agency, a single point of failure trusted with a large amount of coin.
Decentralized = peer to peer trading.

Simple.

By trying to erase the theft you are protecting the system that makes thieving like this possible.
Is this the long term solution? Everytime there is a theft roll it back?
How many roll backs? Who decides? How the hell do we ever use this for a currency if thats gonna be the case?

If you roll back you make this happening again way more likely.
You make it inevitable. Making the next rollback inevitable.
By not rolling back you force to find another solution. This way we move forward. Not backward.
Pages: « 1 ... 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 [397] 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 ... 961 »
  Print  

Jump to: