Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:11:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Where would you prefer the VRC/VRM exchange pair be?
Bittrex
Poloniex
Both
Other

Pages: « 1 ... 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 [415] 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 ... 961 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][VRC] VeriCoin Proof of Stake-Time Currency | New Roadmap Released  (Read 1355397 times)
InvestorPerson

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:21:07 AM

Your group is strong tonight, you have a lot of anger against our community, I bet. Never has one stuck up to the criminals such as this.

It sets a precedent for the future of crypto, we can better use the technology to make it safer, and gain faster crypto adoption.

Really sorry for you guys that stole tonight thinking u get rich and kill your competition, but I hope you know, this is most likely the fuel vericoin needs to become a real competitor to bitcoin. If any coin can, its VeriCoin now, So for that I say thank you. Its just seperated itself from the crypto sea with this outcome. I hope you fudders know, you are witnessing greatness, and you don't even know it!

What that mintpal hack accomplished, may have taken years to do in terms of media for a crypto this size.

aahaha and now i'm part of the heist  Grin Grin this is getting really entertaining.

"it sets a precedent"

yes this is correct. it shows that chargebacks are absolutely possible in cryptos. thanks

whoever sells below 29k now must be a complete retard....
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:21:17 AM

As I understand VRC developers are now acting like a central bank to save big investors money. Veri Centralized.

lol Veri Centralized ....Very Bail Outs ....Much Veri wow.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

lostlibra

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:21:33 AM

so crypto noob here. I had just put a few bucks in to VRC when this all went down. Still deciding whether to ride this out. I don't know enough about the history or the community to have an opinion on this stuff. From what I've read I can see that both sides have a point.

I know everybody's worked up, but a quick noob question.

I'm assuming to even dump what I have, I'd have to update my wallet as I got my coin of mintpal a while before all this went down.

Is updating the wallet as simply downloading the new version from the website? Anything else I need to do? Haven't had to deal with this yet.
SeDz

Activity: 251
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:22:13 AM

This has the potential to ruin the coin or result in it coming back stronger than ever. We still hold the remaining 70% so as long as vericoin holders continue to be so active, we're just fine here. Also keep in mind that exchanges will definitely update to the new wallet, and quite a bit was being held in exchanges, so it's not quite as difficult as it appears to reach 51%.

Of course the exchanges are going to update it is their ass on the line and the devs are literally giving them a hand out by supporting the hard fork idea.

whats your problem ?? you are here saying bullshit for more than 3 hours..
do you want to open ppl eye? hmm no.. you just want ppl to dump so you can buy it cheap

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:22:31 AM

This has the potential to ruin the coin or result in it coming back stronger than ever. We still hold the remaining 70% so as long as vericoin holders continue to be so active, we're just fine here. Also keep in mind that exchanges will definitely update to the new wallet, and quite a bit was being held in exchanges, so it's not quite as difficult as it appears to reach 51%.

sorry but no one will buy a coin that a person owns 1/3 of their supply

Neither will they buy one where you can just roll back the fuck up by one business.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:23:14 AM

Of course the exchanges are going to update it is their ass on the line and the devs are literally giving them a hand out by supporting the hard fork idea.

do you want to open ppl eye? hmm no.. you just want ppl to dump so you can buy it cheap

My problem: Vericoin is now bail out approved.  Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

bigc1984

Activity: 658
Merit: 534

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:23:39 AM

I am a senior member in this bitcointalk forum, but I want to remain anonymous.
I noticed Vericoin discussion when go to Altcoin ANN, and here is some of my insight:

First, a few questions:

1. Did mintpal really lost Vericoin, because of being hacked?
After reading their official announcement, the information is rather vague. Is there a possibility that coins are withdrawn by some big bagholders? Is there possibility that coins are sold by Mintpal (or its personnel) to other people and then they want to reverse the transaction while not paying the money back?

2. Vericoin was hacked, while other coins, including Bitcoin, was intact. Is it because the problem of Vericoin blockchain, or because of the safety hazard in Mintpal?

3. Vericoin group decided to roll-back the blockchain, is this a result after a deliberate consideration, or not?

4. If a small Altcoin-Bitcoin exchange site get compromised, will the Vericoin team do the same thing to roll back?

Then a few insights:

Cryptocurrency is created to be de-centralized. By reversing some transactions through the intervention of development team, it goes against its initial objective.

Cryptocurrency is created to be not regulated by authorities, such as countries. What happened to Vericoin today goes against this objective, because it is controlled by an exchange site. Suppose someday a country authority send request to the Vericoin development team about some Vericoin is held by some bad guys and the authority request a hard fork to remove those Vericoins, or send those coins to the country authority, based on what happened, I doubt the team will say no.

my two satoshi

Nobody care to answer, I will leave, but the credit of Vericoin is compromised.

all of these are very valid concerns and the reason integrity in this coin has been lost.
btminer8

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:24:22 AM

Some people rather enjoy the suffering of others (eg mintpal Jay, Jason and vrc investors) it makes me sick.

The choice is an obvious one to minimize damage.

What goes around comes around.
noerc

Activity: 248
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:24:31 AM

Was hard to catch up in this thread since I went out to the soccer game. I can understand that having 30% of the coins under the control of a single person is dangerous in a coin-age principle PoS system - especially when this person got them for free. Still I can not support this roll back.

First, as mentioned in a post before, what if someone bought goods for VRC a couple of hours ago? From what I see you can currently take advantage of the fact that the upcoming rollback is not known to everyone and purchase things on the current blockchain which soon will be obsolete. Who is responsible for these losses?

Secondly, I don't see why a full rollback is necessary. You could also just remove these coin outputs through a mandatory client update, effectively reducing the supply of VRC but keeping all transactions that use other coin outputs valid. This way the integrity of the blockchain would remain to some extend, but the coins stolen would be worthless.

Of course, Mintpal would not like this solution, but the community should prefer it and the 51% attack would be avoided.  
bigc1984

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:24:46 AM

trust me... lol.. no one wants to buy.
defier

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:25:19 AM

For the cheap seats and peanut gallery.
VRC POW(mining) is over. POS is whats left Wink

The FUD spreaders can stop concerning themselves about the poor Miners.  Whew, I was worried for a moment!
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:25:26 AM

Rollback destroys all integrity of the block chain. You may as well go back to using dollars if you want to have a solution as moronic as a rollback. Honestly, anyone for it is either a) new as hell and totally clueless on what the block chain does and what cryptos are, or b) trying to kill this coin and MintPal

Simple as that. You are either stupid or just FUD'ing if you support a rollback. I expect flak from tons of new accounts starting...NOW

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

FUD_master

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:25:32 AM

sorry but no one will buy a coin that a person owns 1/3 of their supply

Neither will they buy one where you can just roll back the fuck up by one business.

Physical bitcoin and litecoin, dude?  You clearly have a huge misunderstanding of the entire point of cryptos.
Dadams

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:26:09 AM

2. Fork the blockchain to block the stolen coins and effectively destroy them.
Vericoin will survive. Hacker has no coins. No threat to system. Coin amount reduced, value goes up.
Mintpal customers lose, this is Mintpal and the hackers fault. Mintpal needs to reimburse.
Mintpal could die.

Sorry, but I believe this option 2 doesn't exist at all.

How can you possibly admit that certain coins are invalid because they were stolen and not return them to their owners? It makes no sense whatsoever. You either ignore the crime or give them back to their owners.

It would be similar to Mintpal losing the keys to their wallet.
They made a mistake. Responsibility belongs to them,
if they admit the hack and there is fear that coins end up with an immoral entity that could harm the infrastructure, this would be a way to protect the infrastructure.

Intuitively it might feel wrong but think about it a bit more.
This option exists because it is a compromise.
In the compromise, people will not be able to call it a chargeback or a bailout hence the reputation of VRC will be spared.
VRC devs feel they have to act out of 51% attack fear. This will negate it.
The community will support this decision if it is either this or option 1, denying hacker the coin or letting the hacker have the coin.
The only people who will feel very strongly against this decision are not VRC holders in general, just those who left a lot of their money on an exchange. This will also be a lesson for them then.

Actually in my perfect world, all 3 options would be created by devs and then community can decide which blockchain to support and build on.
Alphi

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:26:30 AM

so crypto noob here. I had just put a few bucks in to VRC when this all went down. Still deciding whether to ride this out. I don't know enough about the history or the community to have an opinion on this stuff. From what I've read I can see that both sides have a point.

I know everybody's worked up, but a quick noob question.

I'm assuming to even dump what I have, I'd have to update my wallet as I got my coin of mintpal a while before all this went down.

Is updating the wallet as simply downloading the new version from the website? Anything else I need to do? Haven't had to deal with this yet.

it depends on where your coins are...

if they are on mintpal there is nothing you can do but ride it out until trading resumes. (and hope or pray that mintpal restores your balance)
you will not need to update anything to trade coins that are already on the exchange.

if the coins are on your wallet you just need to update to the latest version when it is supplied then find an exchange that is trading the coin.

from what I gather all exchanges have halted trading presently.

KARMA: KSc9oGgGga1TS4PqZNFxNS9LSDjdSgpC1B      VERT: VgKaooA5ZuLLUXTUANJigH9wCPuzBUBv9H
DOGE:   DRN7pXid34o6wQgUuK8BoSjWJ5g8jiEs4e
btminer8

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:27:01 AM

I would. If this fork is successful and coins go back to their rightful owners.
bigc1984

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:27:06 AM

Was hard to catch up in this thread since I went out to the soccer game. I can understand that having 30% of the coins under the control of a single person is dangerous in a coin-age principle PoS system - especially when this person got them for free. Still I can not support this roll back.

First, as mentioned in a post before, what if someone bought goods for VRC a couple of hours ago? From what I see you can currently take advantage of the fact that the upcoming rollback is not known to everyone and purchase things on the current blockchain which soon will be obsolete. Who is responsible for these losses?

Secondly, I don't see why a full rollback is necessary. You could also just remove these coin outputs through a mandatory client update, effectively reducing the supply of VRC but keeping all transactions that use other coin outputs valid. This way the integrity of the blockchain would remain to some extend, but the coins stolen would be worthless.

Of course, Mintpal would not like this solution, but the community should prefer it and the 51% attack would be avoided.  

The fact that someone could have traded a shit load of VRC for other coins and now will get the VRC back AND get to keep the coins they traded for is ridiculous.
lostlibra

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:29:14 AM

they're all in my wallet. I saw Pat make reference to clearing everything but wallet.dat. I'm guessing that was for linux wallets? simply downloading an updated windows wallet will be fine?

And yeah, knew trading was down. Deciding whether to move everything right away when it comes back up or wait and see what happens.

bigc1984

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:29:26 AM

I would. If this fork is successful and coins go back to their rightful owners.

You are just a bag holder trying to retain value in a coin that is obviously dead. The rightful owners of the coins are whoever used a security flaw to steal them, it's their reward.  
YoyodyneSystems
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1023

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:29:59 AM

Your idealism blinds you from logic.
Rollback is the most logical and rational choice in this particular case.

If you think that Bitcoin and it's community would not do whatever it could to survive a similar size attack - you are a fool.

-- Please remember this is an experimental technology. There are few rules here.
-- Putting idealism before experimentation will not lead to advancement of Crypto.
Pages: « 1 ... 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 [415] 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 ... 961 »
  Print  

Jump to: