Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:50:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 80 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BAMT version 0.5 - Easy USB based mining Linux with farm wide management tools  (Read 324103 times)
Splirow

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:36:32 AM

I don't have
do_mgpumon: 0

what does it do? I use the web mgpumon without that on my settings

Code:
# start mgpumon in background using /etc/bamt/mgpumon.conf? 
# (this will put the mgpumon web interface at http://this/mgpumon/

This one doesn't run mgpumon, it's set on another rig.

Is this code in version .5b? Because, mine does not have it. Just curious, because I have my web interface working fine without the code.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lodcrappo (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 09:21:09 AM

I don't have

what does it do? I use the web mgpumon without that on my settings

Code:
# start mgpumon in background using /etc/bamt/mgpumon.conf? 
# (this will put the mgpumon web interface at http://this/mgpumon/

This one doesn't run mgpumon, it's set on another rig.

Is this code in version .5b? Because, mine does not have it. Just curious, because I have my web interface working fine without the code.

that option has been available for quite some time, back to 0.4 days I believe.
what does it mean "mine does not have it"?  you added it set to 1 and mgpumon did not start at boot?
if you just mean it isn't in the default /etc/bamt/bamt.conf... well there are tons of options that are not in that file!

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 01:26:55 PM

I'd also like the 8 GPU ability.  However, with all the "features" of BAMT disabled, it seems like using BAMT is kind of pointless.  It's got all the features for big time miners, but none of the support apparently.  Kind of strange in my opinion, but eh.. 

As far as options, yes they were a bit different, since I was following the suggested options for running with BAMT.  I'll see what I can do about changing them in the config file.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 01:42:01 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2012, 03:47:49 PM by lodcrappo

I'd also like the 8 GPU ability.  However, with all the "features" of BAMT disabled, it seems like using BAMT is kind of pointless.  It's got all the features for big time miners, but none of the support apparently.  Kind of strange in my opinion, but eh..  

What does this mean?  Can you be specific?  There are several "big time" miners using bamt.  I know of one that is more than 50Ghash.

As far as options, yes they were a bit different, since I was following the suggested options for running with BAMT.  I'll see what I can do about changing them in the config file.

I am not aware of any "suggested options" for using cgminer with BAMT.  Use exactly the same options you would use with cgminer on any other system.

It is impossible to troubleshoot a potential issue if we are comparing two different configurations.
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 03:45:37 PM

if you just mean it isn't in the default /etc/bamt/bamt.conf... well there are tons of options that are not in that file!

Ha, they are in mine, well most anyway...I've kept a seperate .conf where I add in all the changes you post for reference.  Smiley

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 03:57:19 PM

What does this mean?  Can you be specific?

Well, this for one thing:

The 32 vs 64 bit thing has been done to death.  For people that want 8 gpus per rig, bamt will not be an option.
However, given how little economic sense an 8 gpu rig makes, and therefore how rare they are, and with the impending switch to FPGA based mining, I just don't see this as a very big problem.

Little economic sense?  8 GPU rigs are the most economic sense for large scale operations, anything less makes poor economic sense.  It might not make sense for small operations, but it's really the only option for effecient GPU farms.  The argument for FPGA is compelling, but I don't think we're going to see GPUs die out in the future, and the FPGA argument actually bolsters the 8 GPU requirement, since GPUs will have to become more competitive in the face of FPGAs and block reward cuts, meaning even the small farms are going to have to increase effeciency.  The only way to do that is to reduce power consumption and increase density, both of which basically require increasing GPU count per node.

Additionally, by my statement, I meant that people are suggesting to disable the features of bamt, such as gpu monitoring, mgpu monitoring, use cgminer (and basically disable the monitoring features, etc...) and just use cgminer directly.  But at that point, why even bother with bamt?  I guess I'm asking, with all of that disabled, what does bamt offer that my regular install I have been using for a year not offer?

I am not aware of any "suggested options" for using cgminer with BAMT.  Use exactly the same options you would use with cgminer on any other system.

I guess I found them in the thread somewhere.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 04:09:35 PM

What does this mean?  Can you be specific?

The 32 vs 64 bit thing has been done to death.  For people that want 8 gpus per rig, bamt will not be an option.
However, given how little economic sense an 8 gpu rig makes, and therefore how rare they are, and with the impending switch to FPGA based mining, I just don't see this as a very big problem.

Little economic sense?  8 GPU rigs are the most economic sense for large scale operations, anything less makes poor economic sense.  It might not make sense for small operations, but it's really the only option for effecient GPU farms.  The argument for FPGA is compelling, but I don't think we're going to see GPUs die out in the future, and the FPGA argument actually bolsters the 8 GPU requirement, since GPUs will have to become more competitive in the face of FPGAs and block reward cuts, meaning even the small farms are going to have to increase effeciency.  The only way to do that is to reduce power consumption and increase density, both of which basically require increasing GPU count per node.

None of the large scale miners I talk with are using 8 gpu rigs.  Maybe you know something they don't.  After an overwhelming majority of BAMT users reported that they do not use 8 gpu rigs and a very large farm (and some smaller users) indicated a need for 32 bit support, the choice was pretty easy.

Additionally, by my statement, I meant that people are suggesting to disable the features of bamt, such as gpu monitoring, mgpu monitoring, use cgminer (and basically disable the monitoring features, etc...) and just use cgminer directly.  But at that point, why even bother with bamt?  I guess I'm asking, with all of that disabled, what does bamt offer that my regular install I have been using for a year not offer?

If the advantages of BAMT are not obvious and appealing, I strongly agree that one should not use BAMT.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 05:00:17 PM

What does this mean?  Can you be specific?

The 32 vs 64 bit thing has been done to death.  For people that want 8 gpus per rig, bamt will not be an option.

Little economic sense?  8 GPU rigs are the most economic sense for large scale operations, anything less makes poor economic sense.  It might not make sense for small operations, but it's really the only option for effecient GPU farms.  The argument for FPGA is compelling, but I don't think we're going to see GPUs die out in the future, and the FPGA argument actually bolsters the 8 GPU requirement, since GPUs will have to become more competitive in the face of FPGAs and block reward cuts, meaning even the small farms are going to have to increase effeciency.  The only way to do that is to reduce power consumption and increase density, both of which basically require increasing GPU count per node.

None of the large scale miners I talk with are using 8 gpu rigs.  Maybe you know something they don't.  After an overwhelming majority of BAMT users reported that they do not use 8 gpu rigs and a very large farm (and some smaller users) indicated a need for 32 bit support, the choice was pretty easy.

Who are you talking to and what are they using?  32 bit support is ludicrous as a requirement.  Whoever these large scale miners are that you've talked to clearly have no idea what they are doing and have too much money and not enough sense, that's about all I can say on that subject.

Additionally, by my statement, I meant that people are suggesting to disable the features of bamt, such as gpu monitoring, mgpu monitoring, use cgminer (and basically disable the monitoring features, etc...) and just use cgminer directly.  But at that point, why even bother with bamt?  I guess I'm asking, with all of that disabled, what does bamt offer that my regular install I have been using for a year not offer?

If the advantages of BAMT are not obvious and appealing, I strongly agree that one should not use BAMT.

I'm asking someone to detail what advantages there are, if all of the things I listed are disabled?  What does BAMT bring to the table besides those things?

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 05:20:23 PM

I'm asking someone to detail what advantages there are, if all of the things I listed are disabled?  What does BAMT bring to the table besides those things?

I'm not sure what the difficulty is.  BAMT without the extra features would be equivalent to the end result of Kano's USB cgminer process or to LinuxCoin, except easier than doing Kano's process and more update to date than LinuxCoin.  Unless you believe those other two projects bring nothing to the table?

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 05:48:02 PM

I'm not familiar with either.  I know of LinuxCoin, but the last time I looked at it, it was a horrible mess.  I don't know anything about Kano's process, got a link? 

Let me ask another way - how does BAMT differ with all those features disabled, from a stock Linux install onto a USB?

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 05:55:06 PM

I'm not familiar with either.  I know of LinuxCoin, but the last time I looked at it, it was a horrible mess.  I don't know anything about Kano's process, got a link? 

Let me ask another way - how does BAMT differ with all those features disabled, from a stock Linux install onto a USB?

christ man, this is a waste of my time.

use your head.  think about it.

does stock linux have the ATI drivers, the SDK, the openCL libraries, atitweak, amdoverdrivectl, phoenix and cgminer preinstalled and ready to run?
does stock linux provide updates to this software via an automatic patch system?
etc,etc.

If you have a point, please make it.  Otherwise, this is just silly.
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 06:00:03 PM

Inaba if you use the settings I posted you will still have gpumon and mgpumon support, you will still have quick acces to reconfigure, to miner screens, and to fixes.  detect_defunct: 0 just disables restarting the rig on a hung GPU - which is a fairly new feature anyway - and it sounded like a good place to start troubleshooting your issues.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Splirow

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 06:13:31 PM

Lodcrappo,

I think it would be a great idea to post on bamter all bamt.conf scripts or codes and their functions so people can decide which one to use. I know most of them are on the conf file already. But i think it will help the bamt community and new users instead of going through many pages of both threads.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 06:16:05 PM

Lodcrappo,

I think it would be a great idea to post on bamter all bamt.conf scripts or codes and their functions so people can decide which one to use. I know most of them are on the conf file already. But i think it will help the bamt community and new users instead of going through many pages of both threads.

All the options are documented in the example configuration in /opt/bamt/examples on every BAMT machine.  They are also documented in the BAMT wiki on the examples page --->> http://bamter.org/redmine/projects/bamt/wiki/Examples

If people can't be bothered to look on their own machines or on the bamt support website... well... what is it going to take?  what more can be done?
max in montreal

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 06:41:45 PM

I have a suggestion...

With so many cards being used I wish I had the ability to name them. Its great that i see its a 5970, but i think if i had the option to add or change the name somewhere, telling me that this 5970 is number 8 or this is my XFX card...I always find myself asking ok...what card was that, then running into the garage to check...

also some sort of tool that you can use to identify what card is what...as an example

you start gpu identify, i want to know which is gpu 1, so i indicate somehow that it is 1 i am looking for...shut down all other fans, and max out the fan on the gpu i am looking for...

I do not know how easy this would be, but in the past i have edited my config and put all fans to 0 and one to 100% just to check...

You think this might be a good idea or no?
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 06:48:43 PM

use your head.  think about it.

does stock linux have the ATI drivers, the SDK, the openCL libraries, atitweak, amdoverdrivectl, phoenix and cgminer preinstalled and ready to run?
does stock linux provide updates to this software via an automatic patch system?
etc,etc.

If you have a point, please make it.  Otherwise, this is just silly.

Yeah, it is a waste of your time to try to sort out why BAMT is failing, you're right.  I mean, why would you want improve the release?

No, stock linux doesn't have those, but so what?  They are trivial to install and can be updated without the need to basically rely on you to provide updates.

Yes, stock linux provides updates to the software via an automatic system.

etc.etc..

I already made my point.  With all the features of BAMT disabled, it seems to offer little beyond additional headaches for updating the software (without further breaking the BAMT integrated updating system).  

So basically, you are saying that instead of working to improve the software and make it more compatible, it's better to try and belittle me with red herrings and barely alluded to "features." Gotcha!

Thanks for doing what you have with BAMT, it's nice that you have. It's too bad you choose not to focus on the important bits and instead focus on the fluff!  But then again, I'm sure a healthy cross section of the small time miners are not interested in the features that would make BAMT suitable for large farms, so it doesn't much matter.

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 06:50:26 PM

I have a suggestion...

With so many cards being used I wish I had the ability to name them. Its great that i see its a 5970, but i think if i had the option to add or change the name somewhere, telling me that this 5970 is number 8 or this is my XFX card...I always find myself asking ok...what card was that, then running into the garage to check...

also some sort of tool that you can use to identify what card is what...as an example

you start gpu identify, i want to know which is gpu 1, so i indicate somehow that it is 1 i am looking for...shut down all other fans, and max out the fan on the gpu i am looking for...

I do not know how easy this would be, but in the past i have edited my config and put all fans to 0 and one to 100% just to check...

You think this might be a good idea or no?

a field you can put anything you want in, like the miner_loc field for the miner would be easy to add.

I could make a tool that uses fan to ID cards, actually thought about it before but there is always some reason not too.  Can't remember what it is at the moment though.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 06:51:16 PM

Inaba if you use the settings I posted you will still have gpumon and mgpumon support, you will still have quick acces to reconfigure, to miner screens, and to fixes.  detect_defunct: 0 just disables restarting the rig on a hung GPU - which is a fairly new feature anyway - and it sounded like a good place to start troubleshooting your issues.

Thanks gnar1ta$, I will give it a shot this weekend.

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 06:54:59 PM

use your head.  think about it.

etc,etc.

If you have a point, please make it.  Otherwise, this is just silly.

Yeah, it is a waste of your time to try to sort out why BAMT is failing, you're right.  I mean, why would you want improve the release?

No, stock linux doesn't have those, but so what?  They are trivial to install and can be updated without the need to basically rely on you to provide updates.

Yes, stock linux provides updates to the software via an automatic system.

etc.etc..

I already made my point.  With all the features of BAMT disabled, it seems to offer little beyond additional headaches for updating the software (without further breaking the BAMT integrated updating system).  

So basically, you are saying that instead of working to improve the software and make it more compatible, it's better to try and belittle me with red herrings and barely alluded to "features." Gotcha!

Thanks for doing what you have with BAMT, it's nice that you have. It's too bad you choose not to focus on the important bits and instead focus on the fluff!  But then again, I'm sure a healthy cross section of the small time miners are not interested in the features that would make BAMT suitable for large farms, so it doesn't much matter.

I haven't tried to belittle you.  I've tried to figure out wtf you are on about, and frankly I still haven't found any sense in your rantings.

What is it exactly that you want?  And what are you willing to contribute to make it happen?
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 06:59:46 PM

Yeah, it is a waste of your time to try to sort out why BAMT is failing, you're right.

Inaba, don't like it?  Here's a solution for you.  Don't use it.

They are trivial to install and can be updated without the need to basically rely on you to provide updates.

Great idea!  Do it yourself.

Only for "speshul" people like you inaba.

..instead of working to improve the software

Way to show you know what you are talking about.  Those of us that having been using BAMT know the truth.

Because lodcrappo is being too nice, I'll step up and say it.  Shut the fuck up inaba.  Go find some other thread to troll.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 80 »
  Print  

Jump to: