Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:29:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 80 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BAMT version 0.5 - Easy USB based mining Linux with farm wide management tools  (Read 324096 times)
max in montreal

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 07:08:29 PM

The point of BAMT is to make it easy for most who try to use it.

I have used linuxcoin in the past and it worked fine, but I had to put so much time reasearching to do little things that it was not worth the effort.

BAMT is easy, and works for most of us. You cannot make 100% of the users happy, no matter who you are.

he has given us his time and his help and for the amount of views this thread has, there must be a lot of users. There are a few complaints, but over all he has done an excellent job.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
boozer

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 07:44:19 PM

I was looking into getting 7970's... Does BAMT support them natively or do i need to install drivers?  I searched around a bit and only found this unanswered thread, but I very well could have missed the answer elsewhere:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=66560
lodcrappo (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 07:56:14 PM

I was looking into getting 7970's... Does BAMT support them natively or do i need to install drivers?  I searched around a bit and only found this unanswered thread, but I very well could have missed the answer elsewhere:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=66560

BAMT comes with driver version 11.6 and SDK 2.4.  I honestly don't know what drivers/sdk/etc are required for 7xxx cards, but I think you need something newer than what we supply.

Installing a new driver is very easy, simply download and run the .sh file from ATI's website.   New SDK is a bit more involved, but any guide to "how to set up mining" for debian or ubuntu should suffice.

I'm also not sure if phoenix has kernels for the 7xxx series, or if you need something special there, or what else might be required.

Long story short: I'm sure it can be done, but it will take some work.
neo_rage

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 07:57:11 PM

bamt is awesome for multiply set up of mining rigs.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 08:21:47 PM

Whatever. My rantings.. heh.  I'm trying to a) get answers that will b) eventually lead to an improved BAMT.  Screw you.

Go on being a dick, I don't need this shit, got enough of my own to deal with. Smiley  Have fun with whatever you're doing.  I'll check it out again when it matures to the point of being usable for larger installations, instead of disabling every feature that makes it worth while.  I'm sure it's great for people who need a lot of hand holding to install linux, though.  I know that apt-get can be daunting  Huh to use.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:23:34 PM

Whatever. My rantings.. heh.  I'm trying to a) get answers that will b) eventually lead to an improved BAMT.  Screw you.

Go on being a dick, I don't need this shit, got enough of my own to deal with. Smiley  Have fun with whatever you're doing.  I'll check it out again when it matures to the point of being usable for larger installations, instead of disabling every feature that makes it worth while.  I'm sure it's great for people who need a lot of hand holding to install linux, though.  I know that apt-get can be daunting  Huh to use.

What do you want?

What will you provide to help make it happen?
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 08:32:46 PM

What the hell do you mean what do I want?  I want BAMT to work properly.  Seriously, how hard is that to understand?  I thought that was clear from the first post.  

As for what I will provide, it depends on what's required.  Look, you can be a dick all you want.  You can try to talk down to me all you want.  I was the first mother fucker on these forums to basically write a comprehensive Linux guide for mining with GPUs, I wrote my entire pool from scratch... I would say I know what the hell I'm doing.  The questions I ask and the comments I make are not idle or ill informed.  If you choose to take them as such, that's on you.  This is your project, you can run it as you see fit, if that includes being asshole to the people who come here looking for assistance, fine.  I wouldn't expect your project to advance as fast or as widely as it could if you were actually helpful and non-dismissive of suggestions.

Plain and simple, since you don't seem to understand:

BAMT does not work properly out of the box with my particular setup.  Why is this? I don't know, that's why I'm here asking.
I have several rigs with 6 - 7 GPUs.

People have piped up saying "Hey it works great with my 2 cards" - guess what? I don't care.  I have exactly zero rigs with 2 cards or even 3 cards.  The least amount of cards I have in a rig is 4, the most 6.  Every single one of them have problems running BAMT out of the box without disabling everything that's already been mentioned.  Even AFTER I have stated this, I get the completely useless "Well, your cards are unstable/overclocked/blahblahblah."  But magically, if I setup the cards manually, they are rock stable. Magically, if I run them under my typical Linux install, they run rock stable.  Somehow, it's my hardware, though, when I use a bone stock BAMT install Huh  Whatever.  

Then, when I state all this, I get snarky non-answers from people like you and abracadabra that somehow it's my fault that BAMT isn't stable.  Again... whatever.  Then I detail exactly WHY supporting 8 GPUs should be a major focus going forward, since the reasons for NOT supporting it are completely invalid, and I get more snark.  I ask a simple question: "Which large mining farms don't want 64 bit support?  Which large mining farms are running less than 8 GPUs?" and I get no answer.  The simple fact of the matter is, any large mining farm that isn't already running 8 GPUs or working towards that is going to fail as FPGAs start taking over.  Completely ignoring that is ludicrous.

What do I want?  How about stop being assholes for a start?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:35:25 PM

What the hell do you mean what do I want?  I want BAMT to work properly.  Seriously, how hard is that to understand?  I thought that was clear from the first post. 

As for what I will provide, it depends on what's required.  Look, you can be a dick all you want.  You can try to talk down to me all you want.  I was the first mother fucker on these forums to basically write a comprehensive Linux guide for mining with GPUs, I wrote my entire pool from scratch... I would say I know what the hell I'm doing.  The questions I ask and the comments I make are not idle or ill informed.  If you choose to take them as such, that's on you.  This is your project, you can run it as you see fit, if that includes being asshole to the people who come here looking for assistance, fine.  I wouldn't expect your project to advance as fast or as widely as it could if you were actually helpful and non-dismissive of suggestions.

Plain and simple, since you don't seem to understand:

BAMT does not work properly out of the box with my particular setup.  Why is this? I don't know, that's why I'm here asking.
I have several rigs with 6 - 7 GPUs.

People have piped up saying "Hey it works great with my 2 cards" - guess what? I don't care.  I have exactly zero rigs with 2 cards or even 3 cards.  The least amount of cards I have in a rig is 4, the most 6.  Every single one of them have problems running BAMT out of the box without disabling everything that's already been mentioned.  Even AFTER I have stated this, I get the completely useless "Well, your cards are unstable/overclocked/blahblahblah."  But magically, if I setup the cards manually, they are rock stable. Magically, if I run them under my typical Linux install, they run rock stable.  Somehow, it's my hardware, though, when I use a bone stock BAMT install Huh  Whatever. 

Then, when I state all this, I get snarky non-answers from people like you and abracadabra that somehow it's my fault that BAMT isn't stable.  Again... whatever.

What do I want?  How about stop being assholes for a start?

It sounds like you have the experience and skill to figure out what is wrong.  Please let us know when you do, so we can update BAMT with your improvements.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 08:36:06 PM

Why should I bother?  If you don't want to help, why should I bother to help you?

If I'm going to put my time and effort into a project, it's not going to be one led by an ass who doesn't even want to put forth a little effort to solve anything but the least complex problems.

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:52:59 PM

Why should I bother?  If you don't want to help, why should I bother to help you?

If I'm going to put my time and effort into a project, it's not going to be one led by an ass who doesn't even want to put forth a little effort to solve anything but the least complex problems.

Yes, I am an ass.  Well... more of a dick really.  And lazy, and unfocused, and more than a little bit incompetent too.  I've come to terms with these things and accept them, no harm in calling me out on it. 

I appreciate your feedback and will try to learn all I can from this experience.

max in montreal

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 09:00:46 PM

INABA, in this thread, if i had to choose...only in this thread...i would 100% choose you as the bigger asshole. I am sure outside this thread your a nice guy.

Just out of curiosity, how come you are not running 8 cards per rig?

also, before trying the newer version of bamt seriously try the old one first.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 09:07:57 PM

Past power issues, before I dropped in 220v drops.  But at that point, I had already created stable rigs, so I saw little need to change them .  As cards fail and/or I add cards, I will be increasing the density per unit.  I've already bought two additional motherboards to replace motherboards that did not support enough PCIe slots... they are just waiting for a rig to become unstable and then I'll be swapping them out.  

I also have three 5970's out for RMA, so my 5970 supply is a bit limited at the moment.

I've also been seriously considering chucking all my GPUs in favor of a couple of RigBoxes from BFL, and that is still on the plate depending on how quickly I can acquire at least 1 RigBox. 

Perhaps... why?  What does it offer different .5?  

Again, disabling all these nice features of BAMT seems to limit the usefulness of BAMT and creates more problems than it solves (mainly having to rely on a lone individual for updates), as opposed to having regular repo's available for updates and/or the ability to compile from source without having to jump through a bunch of hoops.  If the BAMT features worked properly (or I could configure BAMT to work with my setup properly, as it were), then the added features would more than make up for the lack of flexibility.

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 09:14:59 PM

Past power issues, before I dropped in 220v drops.  But at that point, I had already created stable rigs, so I saw little need to change them .  As cards fail and/or I add cards, I will be increasing the density per unit.  I've already bought two additional motherboards to replace motherboards that did not support enough PCIe slots... they are just waiting for a rig to become unstable and then I'll be swapping them out.  

I also have three 5970's out for RMA, so my 5970 supply is a bit limited at the moment.

I've also been seriously considering chucking all my GPUs in favor of a couple of RigBoxes from BFL, and that is still on the plate depending on how quickly I can acquire at least 1 RigBox. 

Perhaps... why?  What does it offer different .5?  

Again, disabling all these nice features of BAMT seems to limit the usefulness of BAMT and creates more problems than it solves (mainly having to rely on a lone individual for updates), as opposed to having regular repo's available for updates and/or the ability to compile from source without having to jump through a bunch of hoops.  If the BAMT features worked properly (or I could configure BAMT to work with my setup properly, as it were), then the added features would more than make up for the lack of flexibility.

1 - Please point me to the "regular repos" where we can get updates for mining software.  I will gladly start using them immediately.  Failing that, please let me know what other alternative there is, and how to implement it.  I currently provide updates for this software because I simply know of no other way.  I am very interested to know how you propose we improve this situation so no one has to worry about relying on me for updates any more.

2 - Why exactly can you not compile any software you'd like to on BAMT?  Have I forgotten to include some critical tool you need?  Perhaps it is available via debian's apt package manager (which is fully functional in BAMT).  Is there some reason it is more difficult to compile software on BAMT than on other systems?  How can I remove these hoops you mention jumping through? 

I am very interested to address these issues that you bring up.  Please provide details so that I can understand what needs to be done.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 10:54:26 PM

I have a suggestion...

With so many cards being used I wish I had the ability to name them. Its great that i see its a 5970, but i think if i had the option to add or change the name somewhere, telling me that this 5970 is number 8 or this is my XFX card...I always find myself asking ok...what card was that, then running into the garage to check...

also some sort of tool that you can use to identify what card is what...as an example

you start gpu identify, i want to know which is gpu 1, so i indicate somehow that it is 1 i am looking for...shut down all other fans, and max out the fan on the gpu i am looking for...

I do not know how easy this would be, but in the past i have edited my config and put all fans to 0 and one to 100% just to check...

You think this might be a good idea or no?

see fix 13  - http://bamter.org/redmine/projects/bamt/news
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:16:40 AM

Inaba and lodcrappo,

I hope you guys can call a truce and work together to fix whatever might be wrong with BAMT. I'm not sure what it is about forums that brings out the best in people. I KNOW both of you are smart and can improve BAMT.

Thanks,
gigavps
boozer

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 09:22:08 AM

I've got an old CRT down by my mining rigs and it was working, but I must have done something to make it so its not detected properly as it just displays "out of range" now when I boot... I see the initial loading pics, but when it goes to desktop the monitor displays "out of range".  I read up a bit and tried messing around with aticonfig, but any configuration I made was wiped on the next start.  Any way to set the config so the resolution doesn't go very large and make it not get wiped from the xorg.conf file?

I can bring down my flatscreen and hook it up and it works fine at the larger resolution, so no big deal, I was just curious if anyone knew of a quick fix for this.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 10:34:58 PM

I made some syntax mistake in the bamt.conf file and the gpumon doesn't start (I get that funny error message), so I wanted to edit the file at etc/bamt/bamt.conf but.. why do I have writing permission disabled? I'm logged as a root and did not change any permissions, only thing I did was set a password. Any ideas?

Signature space available for rent.
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 11:17:32 PM

I made some syntax mistake in the bamt.conf file and the gpumon doesn't start (I get that funny error message), so I wanted to edit the file at etc/bamt/bamt.conf but.. why do I have writing permission disabled? I'm logged as a root and did not change any permissions, only thing I did was set a password. Any ideas?

what are the current perms on the file? if the permissions chenaged and you didn't do it, your usb flash drive may be getting flaky.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 11:19:07 PM

what are the current perms on the file? if the permissions chenaged and you didn't do it, your usb flash drive may be getting flaky.

yep, unfortunately this is right. 

there is no process in bamt that ever writes to or changes your bamt.conf in any way. 

if you can't edit it...  sounds like bad key.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 11:22:48 PM

I've got an old CRT down by my mining rigs and it was working, but I must have done something to make it so its not detected properly as it just displays "out of range" now when I boot... I see the initial loading pics, but when it goes to desktop the monitor displays "out of range".  I read up a bit and tried messing around with aticonfig, but any configuration I made was wiped on the next start.  Any way to set the config so the resolution doesn't go very large and make it not get wiped from the xorg.conf file?

I can bring down my flatscreen and hook it up and it works fine at the larger resolution, so no big deal, I was just curious if anyone knew of a quick fix for this.

1 - There is no reason to attach a monitor to the rig.  Much easier to do everything via ssh.  If you aren't doing this, start and you'll be glad you did.

2 - Most of the time the monitor is detected at boot, so make sure your monitor is attached and powered on from the moment you turn the rig on for the best chance of it being detected.  But please see point #1

3 - You can tell bamt not to regenerate the xorg.conf using a control file, please see /live/image/BAMT/readme.txt 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 80 »
  Print  

Jump to: