Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:28:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 [565] 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312577 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 02:57:49 AM

For constant emission: I doubt it'll ever work. If there are no (real or perceived) benefits for early adopters, there probably won't ever be enough early adopters to get it off the ground, especially when competing with others that do provide benefits.

a constant emission scheme would temper speculative investment a lot in the first years, which should result in building the tech, building people who are interested in the tech, building a decentralized mining network because development of ASICs wouldn't be worth it (yet).

on the other hand, this would probably result in lower security as well, in the first years.

maybe Monero has indeed the best of both worlds. Time will tell.

The issue is you have to motivate people to get involved with something that, in the beginning, is really nothing. 1Credit? I mean nothing against it. There is infinite emission to happen in the future, so I don't feel shut out. I also don't feel any urgency. If I wait a year, or two, or three, there will still be infinite emission in the future.

Obviously this is oversimplified, and good marketing could create motivation; scarcity and "get in early" aren't the only ways to attract people. Still this seems like a major obstacle both in the abstract and in practice.

I just feel that the purpose of "getting in early" is pretty pointless to me, IMO. The whole purpose of mining a limited currency like Bitcoin or monero is to ensure the safety of the network by confirming the transactions. If you give early miners a lot of XMR in the early phases, in this case, wouldn't this mean that network security will be really secure during the first couple of years, and then over time miners will start flaking out when halving takes place because they consider it not "worth it" anymore?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, I've never really take the time to mine or try to learn about it that much, but to me this seems like it would be the case.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 03:02:10 AM
Last edit: December 08, 2015, 03:48:30 AM by smooth

For constant emission: I doubt it'll ever work. If there are no (real or perceived) benefits for early adopters, there probably won't ever be enough early adopters to get it off the ground, especially when competing with others that do provide benefits.

a constant emission scheme would temper speculative investment a lot in the first years, which should result in building the tech, building people who are interested in the tech, building a decentralized mining network because development of ASICs wouldn't be worth it (yet).

on the other hand, this would probably result in lower security as well, in the first years.

The issue is you have to motivate people to get involved with something that, in the beginning, is really nothing. 1Credit? I mean nothing against it. There is infinite emission to happen in the future, so I don't feel shut out. I also don't feel any urgency. If I wait a year, or two, or three, there will still be infinite emission in the future.

Obviously this is oversimplified, and good marketing could create motivation; scarcity and "get in early" aren't the only ways to attract people. Still this seems like a major obstacle both in the abstract and in practice.

I just feel that the purpose of "getting in early" is pretty pointless to me, IMO. The whole purpose of mining a limited currency like Bitcoin or monero is to ensure the safety of the network by confirming the transactions. If you give early miners a lot of XMR in the early phases, in this case, wouldn't this mean that network security will be really secure during the first couple of years, and then over time miners will start flaking out when halving takes place because they consider it not "worth it" anymore?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, I've never really take the time to mine or try to learn about it that much, but to me this seems like it would be the case.

I think the theory goes that as the network grows in terms of utility, the value of each unit should go up. Take Bitcoin for example. At the beginning the mining reward was 50, but 50 BTC was literally worth nothing.  Now the mining reward is "only" 25, soon to be 12.5, but 25 BTC or 12.5 BTC is worth quite a bit more.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2015, 03:29:19 AM

Nice volume and price up from what now looks like a definitive bottom test in spite of BTC rise...

Much more positive.

Not sure if it is the bottom. The price is around $0.4 for about a year now. It is one of the stablest coin in the world.
Is this how you feel better about your investment crashing? Justifying it by saying it's been stable in USD?
XMR has not been stable. It's been crashing hard. Except for a brief period in the pre-exchange era the price is at all time lows. I'm just sitting here hoping it won't break 0.001 support.

If XMR is not going to outperform BTC why not just own BTC instead? If it's USD you want it makes more sense to hold BTC as long as the ratio falls. I'm not going to be happy with XMR at $1, $10 or even $100 if the XMR/BTC ratio crashes. I never watch the USD price, is seems completely irrelevant.

A falling XMR/BTC ratio indicates failure to compete in the cryptocurrency space.

USD price "seems completely irrelevant" only as long as BTC isn't crashing back under $100 or mooning above $1000 again.

Cherry-picking a window of comparison proves nothing.

My avg cost is <0.001 BTC per XMR, so I don't need to "feel better about [my] investment crashing."

OTOH, it is very nice that my investment in XMR has simultaneously given me exposure to potentially vast crypto upside while preserving my fiat (aka global reserve currency needed to pay bills) spending power.

Such a sweet spot tells me I have picked a good way to hedge against the irrationality of the market as we wait for Crypto Kingdom Come.

Any TA guy can confirm that building a solid base of support over extended time periods, whether in terms of BTC or USD, is auspicious for possible break-out events.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 03:59:00 AM

What are your thoughts on the price of monero when bitcoin halves?
Bitcoin will get pumped up way before the halving. Monero will continue loosing BTC value, as usual.
Will be crucial to get out of the halving pump right bevore it plummets. Do not personally see any added value in devalueing of ASIC investment's revenue. This will merely move a lot of formerly expensive mining equipent to the waste dump.
Where is the "created value" from devalueing formerly expensive hardware investments? Can only spot investments getting wasted in a single step (compare with continually adjusted block rewards)
(obviously fishing for an opposing argument stating against this thesis, 5am in the mourning local time, using slightly damaged english. There is a bagel and some coffee awaiting me soon.)
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 04:26:57 AM

ABout tutanota, there is also some petition to accept xmr for donations:
https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/9968298-accept-monero-xmr-for-donations

But its been quite about this for a while now. So not sure, what's happening with that.

https://twitter.com/Tutanota_de/status/660955691620900864
That Tweet is about a month old. You may want to ask XMRpromotions for an update since he is the one who appears to have helped facilitate this decision.

The exact timetable is out of my control (their engineers are working on it). As the Tweet implies they are also working on Bitcoin integration. I forwarded an update to some people on the dev team last week so they can provide any technical assistance that is requested by Tutanota.

I have been less vocal lately but I am still working busy behind the scenes. Hopefully closing some of my additional leads will become easier after 0.9 is released.

Many of you noticed the Monero donation link on the I2P site was corrected from monero.com to monero.org
https://twitter.com/KillYourTV_I2P/status/671317363460034560

Keep donating to them. The more we support our early partners the more like that new partners will decide to accept XMR.

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2015, 04:38:05 AM

What are your thoughts on the price of monero when bitcoin halves?
Bitcoin will get pumped up way before the halving. Monero will continue loosing BTC value, as usual.
Will be crucial to get out of the halving pump right bevore it plummets. Do not personally see any added value in devalueing of ASIC investment's revenue. This will merely move a lot of formerly expensive mining equipent to the waste dump.
Where is the "created value" from devalueing formerly expensive hardware investments? Can only spot investments getting wasted in a single step (compare with continually adjusted block rewards)
(obviously fishing for an opposing argument stating against this thesis, 5am in the mourning local time, using slightly damaged english. There is a bagel and some coffee awaiting me soon.)

I think the bitcoin post halving thing depends on a lot of things. 1) how efficient they've got their chips by then 2) the deal with the blocksize debate 3) whether idiots trying to create permissioned blockchains finally realize why thats not a solution 4) whether an alternative cryptocurrency has started to gobble significant market share and 5) whether the bitcoin infrastructure starts colluding.

The instantaneous halving is genius social engineering, IMO. Like the emission phase itself that fosters early adoption and bootstraps the economy, the instantaneous halvings create a point in time before which you *must* get in. The media will go nuts. There will be massive demand on bitcoin leading up to the halving.

At this point is a choose-your-own adventure moment.

If the 1 MB is still in effect and there aren't enough workarounds in place, the network will choke and newcomers will question their investment. Determined newcomers will look around and hopefully find monero (probably 10% maybe). Some percent will bail. Some percent won't care.

If 1 MB is not in effect, the can will be kicked down the road and the network won't choke.

If 1 MB is still in effect & the exchanges have made agreements with large mining operations to prioritize their transactions (akin to that chinese company), then the newcomers won't notice a thing.

In either one of those cases, the halving will occur. The price will drop a little bit. Over weeks the difficulty will drop as older hardware is taken offline. When the difficulty drops enough, the big mining firms will fire up their unnannounced, non-released 2 nm asics, driving more small miners off the network.

So, the halving will facilitate centralization really.

Really, after the halving, the price will depend on how much fiat the big players have available to burn on electricity as they wait for prices to increase. If they have to sell their bitcoin to cover electricity then they are done, as well as the price of bitcoin. However, if the big mining firms have arranged with other big players in the network for some type of service contract (see exchange <-> mining described above), then they can probably hold out for a while and not sell as *much* of their BTC to cover the electricity, which will keep the supply of available bitcoin limited.

And of course why would some big players arrange service contracts with exchanges / wallet providers? Because the exchanges / wallet providers will realize they can get some profit by finding ways to lend bitcoin. And how do you lend bitcoin? By taking control of the keys away from the owners of bitcoin. And why would people give up their keys? So they can enjoy the premium of timely transactions.

The question is how can we prevent this from happening to Monero.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:38:58 AM

I've never quite understood the mining emission of monero to its full extent. So if there are dynamic blocks that keep readjusting to the needs at that specific time (or atleast that's my understanding) then, does that mean there are limits that monero sets? Is there a pretty laid out set of information about moneros emission curve in general out there that I could read more on the matter?

chart here: http://weuse.cash/transparent-emission/ Wink

(website isn't finished yet)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5028

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:40:10 AM

Nice volume and price up from what now looks like a definitive bottom test in spite of BTC rise...

Much more positive.

Not sure if it is the bottom. The price is around $0.4 for about a year now. It is one of the stablest coin in the world.
Is this how you feel better about your investment crashing? Justifying it by saying it's been stable in USD?
XMR has not been stable. It's been crashing hard. Except for a brief period in the pre-exchange era the price is at all time lows. I'm just sitting here hoping it won't break 0.001 support.

If XMR is not going to outperform BTC why not just own BTC instead? If it's USD you want it makes more sense to hold BTC as long as the ratio falls. I'm not going to be happy with XMR at $1, $10 or even $100 if the XMR/BTC ratio crashes. I never watch the USD price, is seems completely irrelevant.

A falling XMR/BTC ratio indicates failure to compete in the cryptocurrency space.

Lol, your statement is patently false. Everything (all commodities) including BTC are tied to USD. You may have fooled yourself into believing otherwise but that's all your doing is deluding yourself.

Okay, even if so, the BTC "commodity" increasing while the XMR "commodity" is falling or not rising (both relative to USD) indicates a failure of XMR to compete with BTC. I don't see the counterargument here.

A failure to hold equilibrium during  bubble in a manipulated market is not indicative to a project failure. If there is a significant drop ratio beyond the average of other main alts then I would be concerned.

I'm thinking the price is being held down intentionally until the Gui is released when those that are in control have accumulated their limit.

The only other reason I can think of is that big holders know something the general public doesn't like a fatal flaw and are divesting as slowly as they can.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
gaba

Activity: 249

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:59:03 AM

I'm thinking the price is being held down intentionally until the Gui is released when those that are in control have accumulated their limit.

The only other reason I can think of is that big holders know something the general public doesn't like a fatal flaw and are divesting as slowly as they can.

That was my thinking. A year after nothing has changed.

LWWE6dtTUXuaq36KTCne5XqMQHfhfwpadC
stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 09:39:41 AM

for sure, whales are accumulating and keeping the price down.....where have I heard that before...hmmmm Roll Eyes
Muhtaixa

Activity: 1022
Merit: 306

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 09:49:16 AM

for sure, whales are accumulating and keeping the price down.....where have I heard that before...hmmmm Roll Eyes

The price is not down, it is just not going up. The price has been within $0.6 for about 6 months. I think it is quite stable.

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AME TRADE HERE
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AME TRADE HERE
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 10:05:12 AM

Nothing has changed? Did you even try to compile yourself or use the beta 0.9 binaries... the difference is a lot!
kunac

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 10:53:08 AM

Unfortunately I still holding some XMR. From the user perspective nothing has changed. One year is very long time in crypto world. Same wallet, same price.  BTC will become anonymous before XMR gets decent wallet. There was a chance, maybe still is but all I can say now is; too little, too late.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 11:14:56 AM

Much more positive.

Lol, your statement is patently false. Everything (all commodities) including BTC are tied to USD. You may have fooled yourself into believing otherwise but that's all your doing is deluding yourself.

Okay, even if so, the BTC "commodity" increasing while the XMR "commodity" is falling or not rising (both relative to USD) indicates a failure of XMR to compete with BTC. I don't see the counterargument here.

A failure to hold equilibrium during  bubble in a manipulated market is not indicative to a project failure. If there is a significant drop ratio beyond the average of other main alts then I would be concerned.

Doesn't necessarily have to be whales keeping the price down, could also very well be just going the same way as all alts are going. In other words, following the altcoin trend. Although I agree there is some manipulation going on, I wrote more extensively about that earlier. See:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=753252.msg12813307#msg12813307

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 12:48:21 PM

The price is getting lower because buy volume is lower than sell volume  Grin

Nothing is special about it. Lack of new user, holders just had enough and don't want to buy more, inflation is still high
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 01:02:22 PM

WOW this coin is popular guys.. this topic is the most viewed !
Click on the Category filter and see the top most viewed for this section.

FUD first & ask questions later™
Rias

Activity: 373

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 01:06:09 PM

Doesn't necessarily have to be whales keeping the price down, could also very well be just going the same way as all alts are going. In other words, following the altcoin trend. Although I agree there is some manipulation going on, I wrote more extensively about that earlier. See:

I believe we also shouldn't forget about the miners. As it is a business, there's a share of all mined coins going straight to sell walls to pay the bills. It is a natural downside factor. Monero's emission is not 60% yet, so the impact should still be significant.
Quicken

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 01:19:12 PM

The price is getting lower because buy volume is lower than sell volume  Grin

Nothing is special about it. Lack of new user, holders just had enough and don't want to buy more, inflation is still high

To put the bold in context, daily inflation is about 0.1% currently and monthly is 3%. Falling fast.

https://moneroeconomy.com/wiki/emission-rate
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 01:20:23 PM

I believe we also shouldn't forget about the miners. As it is a business, there's a share of all mined coins going straight to sell walls to pay the bills. It is a natural downside factor. Monero's emission is not 60% yet, so the impact should still be significant.

Mining definitely has an impact. After 0.9 is released one of our most important goals (more important than short term price swings) of growing our user base will become easier. More users should help absorb the mined coins (as the mining reward get smaller and smaller the supply/demand will change).

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
Siexpert

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 01:50:59 PM

The investor sentiment wheel during 2015  Grin :

http://i68.tinypic.com/118lpir.png

Sorry for the bad quality.
If you can't read the text, you can find the original image in better quality on this site for example:
http://www.trustablegold.com/investor-sentiment-wheel/

Please note that I don't want to suggest that this is the bottom, the price may eventually fall to 0.
Pages: « 1 ... 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 [565] 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: