Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:30:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 [902] 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312340 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 12:55:10 AM

@ArticMine to be clear you are disagreeing only with my first sentence. The rest about third party solutions specializing for different markets applies equally to the older segment given what you have suggested about their preferences. For example, they might like Trezor or other hardware wallets.

My point is that even now (with few grandmas involved) MyMonero does not serve as a good baseline solution, it is specialized to those who want convenience and don't care much about security or avoiding reliance on third parties. I could also say that about a GUI based on the earlier (pre-LMDB) implementation. Since the current version can cold sync in a lot of cases (not all -- older or slower computers or very slow net connections can't be avoided) in an hour or so, uses minimal memory and acceptable amounts of storage, it is more suitable for more segments of users (if not numerically more users), though still not everyone.

Yes my disagreement is with your first sentence. I do agree that the appeal of MyMonero is strongest for low memory, storage, bandwidth etc. situations.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 02:05:11 AM

I doubt Grandma will ever run her own node, regardless of GUI. In the CryptoFuture, I imagine Grandma will use a third-party solution specifically designed for grandmas  Smiley EDIT: or she will just enter her PIN at the register after the point-of-sale machine connects to her NFC powered keyring wallet. No GUI required.

First off grandma and most anyone else that will use crypto could care less about running a node. Logical fallacy (Straw Man) there.

That's exactly my point, and it's not a logical fallacy. You don't need the core software unless you want to run your own node. So why does grandma need a core GUI?
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 02:12:38 AM
Last edit: May 28, 2016, 02:23:28 AM by Johnny Mnemonic

My point is that even now (with few grandmas involved) MyMonero does not serve as a good baseline solution, it is specialized to those who want convenience and don't care much about security or avoiding reliance on third parties. I could also say that about a GUI based on the earlier (pre-LMDB) implementation. Since the current version can cold sync in a lot of cases (not all -- older or slower computers or very slow net connections can't be avoided) in an hour or so, uses minimal memory and acceptable amounts of storage, it is more suitable for more segments of users (if not numerically more users), though still not everyone.

I agree MyMonero is not a good baseline solution, but I don't agree that a core GUI is any "better." The trade-offs don't fit the needs of a "general user" who needs a reasonable amount of security and a much greater level of convenience.

I suppose our definitions of "general user" differ, but I don't ever see general users running their own node to make transactions.

- General users will never "be their own bank" (because they don't trust themselves to secure their entire savings, and they shouldn't)
- General users only need as much security as their physical leather wallet provides, as its just their spending money
- General users value convenience over just about everything else
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2016, 02:26:59 AM

Gui will help adoption period there are no arguments that are sound against that.

I disagree completely. There are plenty of reasonable arguments against that, the biggest of which is that a bundled GUI will do nothing to attract adoption outside of the cryptosphere, and almost everyone inside the cryptosphere is already aware of Monero and can use it if they want to.

I'm afraid I can't agree. It will help facilitate that adoption by giving people (including people outside the cryptosphere) something to download that is easier to use. Without that such efforts face a very uphill battle. You could possibly reach beyond the cryptposhere to other sys admis, software developers, etc. who are comfortable with command line tool, but that's a narrow market with little obvious attraction to alternative monetary systems.

A GUI by itself will do little for adoption.

True for by itself but it is a necessary component of efforts to reach wider.

A GUI by itself will do little for adoption.

What will?

Nothing will, by itself. There are many pieces that need to fit together, GUI being one of them.

The Official GUI won't really change (except as a reaction to the Good News) the fat part of XMR's distribution, BUT it may lengthen the long thin tail of small Hodlors behind the Pareto-spec'd ~20% of whales.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Days

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 06:44:39 AM

Reality is "I believe" the so called Monero developers intentionally postponed releasing a GUI wallet because if they release it to the public then what's next?! they are not high level Cyrpto coders in Monero team.

Milking people out with "ONCE GUI WALLET COMES THIS COIN WILL BE WORTH AT LEAST X10 IT IS NOW" if you think about it imagine Monero has a GUI wallet released months ago their price would be even lower now because there is nothing else but big fixing/ gambling website/ and forum developers/gangsters "SMOOTH"

They keep their name up by messing with real developers work in these forums, reddit, and even when articles is been written by cyrpto websites you will see them spreading negativity in the comments. It is truly a sad coin

P.S like really who can't develop a GUI as a crypto developer for two years? gambling websites & price bouncing is not enough already?!
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 06:49:53 AM

Harshing my mellow!
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 07:12:46 AM

P.S like really who can't develop a GUI as a crypto developer for two years? gambling websites & price bouncing is not enough already?!

If it is piece of cake, what prohibits you to make another one to the long list of existing Monero GUI's ??

I heard you can make one over the weekend. But then what? It is a lifelong commitment to the piece of software, 24/7 technical support, no salary.

If the devteam does not have the resources to do it now, perhaps you should? If you have critique on their priorities, you have many friends (or perhaps socks). Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2016, 07:55:35 AM

BUT it may lengthen the long thin tail of small Hodlors behind the Pareto-spec'd ~20% of whales.
Can you elaborate on this?  I understand long thin tails but not the rest.  What do you consider the minimum level of hodlings to qualify as a whale?

Assuming XMR follows Pareto's ~80/20 distribution, we'd expect the fat part of the distribution curve at the front representing whales, with a long thin distribution at the end representing small holders.

As the GUI lowers the barrier to entry, I speculate the long thin part will gain more than the short fat bit, because the higher barriers aren't as much of an issue for the smart/rich whales (and I believe whales tend to get into these kinds of projects early, long before Official GUI type stuff).

If we define whale as a second-order (top 20% of the top 20%) Pareto distribution holder, we still need an estimate of how many users exist to calculate an exact qualifying number.

Or we could say a whale is defined by the ability to make an outsize splash in the markets, IE significantly move the price in either direction regardless of overall market sentiment.

How about 1%?  It does sound a little too "Occupy" for my taste, but it gives us a convenient minimum of 120,000 XMR and there can at maximum only be 100 of them.   Tongue

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 08:21:14 AM

I suppose our definitions of "general user" differ, but I don't ever see general users running their own node to make transactions.

- General users will never "be their own bank" (because they don't trust themselves to secure their entire savings, and they shouldn't)
- General users only need as much security as their physical leather wallet provides, as its just their spending money
- General users value convenience over just about everything else

I'm pretty sure I explained this earlier.

"General user" as I used it above does not mean "mainstream consumer" or anything of the sort (at least not short term, as such people are far, far away from wanting any crypto at all right now). It means proving an acceptable, usable solution for a wide variety of user types, including people who want to be their own bank, and also those who want to actually benefit from the financial privacy that Monero can give them. That means, almost if not absolutely unavoidably, running their own node. If they don't want a private store or value, private medium of exchange, etc. they likely not be interested in Monero and will just go with Bitcoin (or cc/Paypal/etc.)
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 08:28:19 AM

Reality is "I believe" the so called Monero developers intentionally postponed releasing a GUI wallet because if they release it to the public then what's next?!

Maybe RingCT or other high level cryptography? Or maybe some of this other stuff.

Why don't you give that RingCT paper I just linked for you a read in your spare time? There is going to be a quiz.

they are not high level Cyrpto coders in Monero team.

Kindly, and in your own words, summarize the important sections of the above paper and point out some logical extensions and directions for further research in order to verify your qualifications to make that assessment.

gambling websites

What is your obsession with gambling websites? I'm actually quite curious about this because you and the other anti-Monero socks bring it up a lot, Is it a biblical thing for you or what?
owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 09:28:39 AM

Onion Monero Blockchain Explorer

The key features of the Onion Monero Blockchain Explorer are

- available as a hidden service,
 - no javascript, no web analytics trackers, no images,
 - open sourced,
 - made fully in C++,
 - the only explorer showing encrypted payments ID,
 - the only explorer with the ability to search by encrypted payments ID, tx public keys, outputs public keys, input key images, output amount index and its amount,
- the only explorer showing ring signatures,
- the only explorer that can show which outputs belong to the given Monero address and viewkey,
- the only explorer showing detailed information about mixins, such as, mixins' age, timescale, mixin of mixins,
- the only explorer showing number of amount output indices.

https://github.com/moneroexamples/onion-monero-blockchain-explorer

Tor users:

- http://xmrblocksvckbwvx.onion

Non tor users, can try tor proxy, e.g.,

- http://xmrblocksvckbwvx.onion.to

Comments welcome here or on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4ld0j3/did_you_know_that_monero_has_a_onion_blockchain/

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
Chicken76

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 07:21:29 PM

Guys, what happened the last couple of days with bitcoin that prompted such a sharp rise in price? The rise was only shared by litecoin. Was there anything implemented recently by these two coins that increased their value?
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 07:47:00 PM

bitcoin did break out off its multi month ascending triangle (holy triangle). looking at the weekly chart, a bubble seems possible, depends ofc on other factors too, but bitcoin volatility has been historically low.

xmr holds quite nicely recarding all this Kiss

personally i also think that the gui is important, especially to grow userbase with small holders.

XMR Monero
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2016, 07:48:45 PM

Guys, what happened the last couple of days with bitcoin that prompted such a sharp rise in price? The rise was only shared by litecoin. Was there anything implemented recently by these two coins that increased their value?

The USD index crashed.  Something about Helicopter Janet and NIRP....

Gold and silver spiked, with blue chip miners like Hecla, New Gold, Agnico, Detour, and Pretium reaching 52 week highs.

BTC has been stable for a very long time, forming a massive foundation on which to build up.

The second block subsidy halving is ~37 days away.

Classic is #REKT, and Bitcoin is an unmatchable powerhouse of development with plans for true scaling well underway.

Litecoin is next in line to benefit from any new tech they want from it.

There is a huge wave of ICO/IPOs that require BTC for participation.

The same thing happened when Bitcoin securities were all the rage.

Monero is extremely oversold.

We just put in a double bottom at 170k.

Time to start slowly building a leveraged long position, with an average cost well under 180k.

When the MAID/DAO/etc bubbles burst, there will be plenty of money sloshing around on Polo, looking for a new home with a firmer technology base.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 08:18:02 PM

Litecoin adds things?

Leverage  Shocked Tongue Shocked
pönde

Activity: 308
Merit: 109

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 09:24:26 AM

Is there on bitcointalk any thread for discussion of the global monetary system and of the people who are running it? Sorry for slightly of topic question, but I has to ask it somewhere.
levinhostar

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 10:27:23 AM

They said we will never see 0.0018 again   Shocked

But here it is. Pump & Dump as every other altcoin.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2016, 11:07:35 AM

Who are they? And what length is the basis of your observation?

"It is not the strength, but the duration, of great sentiments that makes great men."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 12:35:25 PM

"It is not the strength, but the duration, of great sentiments that makes great men."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

If you experience a great sentiment lasting more than four hours, see a doctor. 

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
Viecoin

Activity: 852
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2016, 01:31:19 PM

- Friedrich Nietzsche

If you experience a great sentiment lasting more than four hours, see a doctor. 

I hope Monero stays this low just a little longer. Privacy is so important!!
Pages: « 1 ... 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 [902] 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: