Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:38:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312379 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:10:42 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2014, 01:22:48 PM by oda.krell

I totally and completely reject the "cut emissions because we want less dumping" suggestion though. That is not a valid or useful reason to renegotiate a social contract.

Let's wrap this up though, unless someone can tie it directly in with speculation. Any further discussion should be on the main thread.

Wrote a post on this topic, but moved it to the main thread, good point, smooth.

please see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg8874136#msg8874136

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
h3speros

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 01:11:39 PM

orderbook recovered quickly after this big dump, i can only see us go lower if another big holder starts another dump with 20k+.
rebounce from somewhere around here would fit perfectly

yep, bids are recovering fast, maybe those big dumpers need to buy back in soon =D

only crypto market predictions, no bullshit https://twitter.com/h3speros
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:38:44 PM

We need to define terms:
Bagholder= a person who trust in coin's value staying/increasing in the future.
There is no reason for an investor to buy a coin - and thus become a bagholder - an investor is buying the coin because he wants the price constantly increase. Investor will dump the coin if it increases too fast (bubblish).

Thus the coin price should be in steady but slow bull market and the market makers should make sure even a large dumpster is not able to change much the price (like yesterday).

Please, let's not make another bitcoin but better than bitcoin.
I understand that bitcoin has made you a lot of money, but there are also many things that could be done better in bitcoinworld. One of them is the huge volatility. It means, the entrepreneurs and other risk takers (gamblers) will adopt bitcoin but not big money.
Tell me one billionaire who owns bitcoin - for them it is too volatile. If you are a billionaire and want a money, you cannot take anything so unstable that you are unable to predict the price tomorrow.

Therefore, we have two ways to solve the issue of volatility: 1) more traders making the markets for buyers and sellers 2) slower emission which frees some cash for receiving coins these dumpsters.

Please, when developing the economy, let's adopt the good things from bitcoin and fix the shortcomings of it. Then bitcoin could be replaced by monero and monero can achieve the trust of big money.

Bitcoin community is not growing at least in a significiant level anymore. There are reasons why some people do not adopt bitcoin and it is important to listen to them and make those people to use monero.
h3speros

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 01:45:37 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2014, 01:56:56 PM by h3speros

im proud how well price reacted to those big dumps, monero gets stronger this way because if one entity dumps 20-30k and there's a lot small bids to take the hit, then centralization lowers, meaning that market changes to more mature direction, market becomes more predictable this way also, because normal market psychology starts to mean more

EDIT. im proud now, but that can change ofc if we go lower

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:56:34 PM

10 % decline in a short term is too much when you consider it should be a store of value.
Monero needs more traders to absorb the dumps, but on the other hand, feed the buyers in pumps.
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 02:17:52 PM

10 % decline in a short term is too much when you consider it should be a store of value.
Monero needs more traders to absorb the dumps, but on the other hand, feed the buyers in pumps.

The dumps were absorbed good enough in my opinion. The problem is that right now we have someone (credible enough for me) who is telling that there is some kind of  major problem with the blockchain. But he hasnt give enough explanations. So there is great uncertainty right now and it will stay for a while unless we know more about that or we conclude it was bullshit...
h3speros

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 02:28:57 PM

The dumps were absorbed good enough in my opinion. The problem is that right now we have someone (credible enough for me) who is telling that there is some kind of  major problem with the blockchain. But he hasnt give enough explanations. So there is great uncertainty right now and it will stay for a while unless we know more about that or we conclude it was bullshit...

if he didnt provide facts then it's probably bs, that's the most likely scenario at least, ofc there's possibility that he was so kind that he didnt exploited it himself and didnt wanted to tell what it is so that no one else can exploit it but hey camoon, who believes that?

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 02:41:18 PM

I see it as follows: the decline was 10% and half of it could be attributed to the usual beta-leverage of alts diving if BTCUSD takes a hit (which it did the same day). So the effect of this rumor on price was 5%.

Now the market is stabilized and it is still 5%+5% lower. So the market is attributing only 5% chance to the scenario that it is true. If you believe it is FUD, you can get a 5% discount. Otherwise you should sell.

Of course only those who have XMR can sell. Others need to buy my PUT options to take advantage of this. They were priced very attractively before this event, so if there was any profit motive in this, it's likely someone would have bought them, at least via sockpuppets. (Here it does not matter if it is true or FUD, the price dip was a fact that already happened.) This is one of the strongest circumstatial evidence imo that the whole debacle was more of an accident than anything else.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 03:07:49 PM

Now the market is stabilized and it is still 5%+5% lower. So the market is attributing only 5% chance to the scenario that it is true. If you believe it is FUD, you can get a 5% discount. Otherwise you should sell.

That's a reasonable analysis.  I took the discount and added to my position.
OrientA

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 03:27:39 PM

10% rise or drop is normal for altcoins.
joebob999

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 03:41:53 PM

It's obvious you haven't been involved in many alts if this price drop is a big deal.
majeis

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 03:44:00 PM

If you want to talk about altcoins, 99% drops and 2000% rises are perfectly normal as well.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
▀██████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████
BTC  ◉PLAY  ◉XMR  ◉DOGE  ◉STRAT  ◉ETH  ◉GRC  ◉LTC  ◉DASH  ◉PPC
     ▄▄██████████████▄▄
  ▄██████████████████████▄        █████
▄██████████████████████████▄      █████
████ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ████     ▄██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ▄██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ██
████ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ████ ▄██████▄
████████████████████████████ ████████
███████▀            ▀███████ ▀██████▀
█████▀                ▀█████
▀██████████████████████████▀
  ▀▀████████████████████▀▀ 
DICE           
BLACKJACK
PLINKO       
VIDEO POKER
ROULETTE     
LOTTO            
Eastwind

Activity: 896

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 07:58:11 PM

If you want to talk about altcoins, 99% drops and 2000% rises are perfectly normal as well.

So there is no need to worry.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:00:58 PM

It's obvious you haven't been involved in many alts if this price drop is a big deal.

For me even bitcoin-drops are a big deal and for the most people who cannot take bitcoin this volatility is something that kills their interest on bitcoin.
The arguments that I hear against bitcoins are usually as follows:
-The price is already too high, I wish I would get in earlier, now it is too late for me.
- The CEO of Bitcoin is in jail and bitcoin is in bankcrupt (I know, this is FUD but peole in Finland associate bitcoin to Gox due to the FUD that was presented in our media - the reporters made harm for bitcoin adoption. I have heard this argument from several non-bitcoiners)
- Too much volatility for a currency

Those are the major setbacks in bitcoin which I hear from ordinary people from grass root level. Bitcoin community consists mainly of gamblers.
If you want to attract truly big money, it cannot be a gamblers coin which value you cannot predict.

I think these issues should be fixed in Monero. Therefore we need more successful and good professional traders to make markets.
Monero is still down like 10-15 % from yesterday's price, and when the coin is mature this type of things cannot happen.

I acknowledge that crabcoins have huge volatility but if we want to build something high quality, it should not have sudden unpredictable drops. I understand that now it is very infant stage and this volatility is more acceptable, but when you want the adoption of conservative money from elderly people it cannot have such volatility - the elderly ones cannot take it.

I also read from Polo trollbox somebody stating that it will take a long time for Monero to be at the same level than btc.
I have to disagree with him. How long it will take is all up to our community how long we want to postpone the development.
Monero has the advantage of second comer and I see it very clearly when I am talking with people about Monero vs. I am talking about bitcoin.

If we can fix all the shortcomings of bitcoin, I do not see any reason why Monero shouldn't replace bitcoin at some time frame.

Ideally, coin value should rise steadily. Not too fast, but not drop neither. Perhaps long term average growth should be around 2-5 % pa. Earlier stage higher as the adoption rate is lower but as the adoption gets more wider, the rate should drop around the average rise in real economy.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 08:03:40 PM

Tell me one billionaire who owns bitcoin - for them it is too volatile. If you are a billionaire and want a money, you cannot take anything so unstable that you are unable to predict the price tomorrow.

Richard Branson.

There are others but you wanted one.

Michael Dell.
OK Couldn't resist adding him, just because he is a good bit richer, and later to the bitcoin owners club who have had their companies start accepting the stuff.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:06:04 PM

Richard Branson.

How many bitcoins the billionaires own on average? Which part of their entire wealth is in bitcoin?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:07:15 PM

Monero supporter.

May I suggest........................

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=700400.0

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 08:16:38 PM

Richard Branson.

How many bitcoins the billionaires own on average? Which part of their entire wealth is in bitcoin?

My friend, I am happy with the knowledge that we are unlikely to learn the answer to those questions.
This is one of the merits of Bitcoin, right?

If you look at the Forbes billionaire list, there are a lot of billionaires NOT on that list because they have older money.  There are some though who have famously supported it.  If you took some time, you could probably spot a few more.

Considering that the entire value of all bitcoin is less than $6 Billion USD, there are quite possibly folks on this list that have more bitcoin than they do, but I imagine they have a fair bit more than most folks reading this.

Your point is well taken, that billionaires tend to own companies, and countries, more than currencies.  They are wealthy because they own the productive output of other people.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:45:28 PM

I don't want to be harsh, but..

- Too much volatility for a currency

A currency has zero volatility because things are priced on it. When Finland had FIM as currency, its value often changed 10% vs. other currencies yet prices stayed the same. Now with EUR, the annual change vs. USD can easily be over 10%. Nobody cares about those and smugly thinks that his currency is stable. It's only a matter of viewpoint.

Bitcoin community consists mainly of gamblers.

False.

If you want to attract truly big money, it cannot be a gamblers coin which value you cannot predict.

Truly big money makes their moves on political grounds. Bitcoin is probably unacceptable to most.

I think these issues should be fixed in Monero. Therefore we need more successful and good professional traders to make markets.

I think Monero has nearly enough market making. I needed to probe the level of panic by selling "dump" a few coins at 360->350 some time ago. The gap was quickly closed and I now have no chance to buy them back except at a hefty loss. This is an example of marketmaking in action.

Monero is still down like 10-15 % from yesterday's price, and when the coin is mature this type of things cannot happen.

The issue presented was legitimate, so the market is now pricing the risk in which probability it's also true  Roll Eyes

when you want the adoption of conservative money from elderly people it cannot have such volatility - the elderly ones cannot take it.

Only a problem as long as prices are presented in something else, and not even then. See several countries with pricing in hard currency yet payment in the country's "shitcoin" (example: Poland).

I also read from Polo trollbox somebody stating that it will take a long time for Monero to be at the same level than btc.
I have to disagree with him. How long it will take is all up to our community how long we want to postpone the development.
Monero has the advantage of second comer and I see it very clearly when I am talking with people about Monero vs. I am talking about bitcoin.

Monero vs. Bitcoin have liquid markets. If/When people at large start to feel fear for their BTC and decide that Monero is the answer, they can all go through this funnel. I estimated that once the stampede starts, in 6 weeks the coins change places marketcapwise, in a quite epic episode of forward escape.

Ideally, coin value should rise steadily. Not too fast, but not drop neither. Perhaps long term average growth should be around 2-5 % pa. Earlier stage higher as the adoption rate is lower but as the adoption gets more wider, the rate should drop around the average rise in real economy.

The steadily rising value is only possible for some fairly low growth rates. If the growth factor is 100% or more per annum (or even less but let's keep this as an example), the growth becomes turbulent, with successive surges and implosions, as can be seen from BTC. You cannot do anything about it.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
robinwilliams

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:50:46 PM

Monero vs. Bitcoin have liquid markets. If/When people at large start to feel fear for their BTC and decide that Monero is the answer, they can all go through this funnel. I estimated that once the stampede starts, in 6 weeks the coins change places marketcapwise, in a quite epic episode of forward escape.

yeah uh.  don't they just go back to fiat when scared?  Why go to something more volatile and likely to die than bitcoin when you are scared of bitcoin?

Bitcion goes down - XMR goes down more  Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: