Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:28:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 05:28:01 PM

Just had a storm and the power went out, the s4 was plugged into an 240v outlet.

When I plug the power cord in, before I even try to power on the miner, clicking starts to come out of the power supply, almost like morse code.

When I try to power it on, it comes on for a second, the fans start to spin then it powers off and starts to click again.

Any ideas?

What does the PSU indicator leds show when it's turning on?

Nothing, the LCD flashes on for a second and then it turns off

Normally with LCD flash or not showing I would say to check connections and sd card making sure its seated well  - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203545769-Blank-LCD-Screen , https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203361315-Board-Diagnostics

But I have a feeling this is a psu problem.   The clicking makes me think again think psu as none of mine click or make noise till I press the button that I know of.

Do you have it connected to a PDU or anything between power and it?   Or directly connected to Receptacle?

I would look into those just to make sure nothing simple is causing it.  But I have a feeling it sounds like a PSU problem.  If you go through checking all of those I would then make a ticket over here - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us and see if they agree on PSU, and see about RMA on

Its connected directly to the receptacle

I was hoping there was something inbetween it could have been.  But it's sounding like PSU might be gone if you already checked the connections.  The clicking is not normal.   

I would go open up a ticket and see if they think PSU might be dead/damaged as I'm thinking - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wajiminer

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 12:03:31 PM

Just had a storm and the power went out, the s4 was plugged into an 240v outlet.

When I plug the power cord in, before I even try to power on the miner, clicking starts to come out of the power supply, almost like morse code.

When I try to power it on, it comes on for a second, the fans start to spin then it powers off and starts to click again.

Any ideas?

Normally with LCD flash or not showing I would say to check connections and sd card making sure its seated well  - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203545769-Blank-LCD-Screen , https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203361315-Board-Diagnostics

But I have a feeling this is a psu problem.   The clicking makes me think again think psu as none of mine click or make noise till I press the button that I know of.

Do you have it connected to a PDU or anything between power and it?   Or directly connected to Receptacle?

I would look into those just to make sure nothing simple is causing it.  But I have a feeling it sounds like a PSU problem.  If you go through checking all of those I would then make a ticket over here - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us and see if they agree on PSU, and see about RMA on

I was hoping there was something inbetween it could have been.  But it's sounding like PSU might be gone if you already checked the connections.  The clicking is not normal.   

I would go open up a ticket and see if they think PSU might be dead/damaged as I'm thinking - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

So weird thing happened today, I changed the outlet to a 110v, and it still made the click noises but started up, albeit a bit stranglely. THe fans started, the lcd came on, then the fans stopped, came on for a bit more, then started when the main screen for the lcd showing the ip came up, however it's not hashing now.
blindminer

Activity: 360
Merit: 120

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 03:00:11 PM

Hi,
Is there any way that i can change temperature from 80 to 70 degree?

MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 03:19:23 PM

Unfortunately, this 80 Degrees C is the only option from the control panel.

Hi,

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
MyRig
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 03:20:39 PM

Miner Status Screenshot would be nice!

And may be the System Log Text Dump

Any ideas?

So weird thing happened today, I changed the outlet to a 110v, and it still made the click noises but started up, albeit a bit stranglely. THe fans started, the lcd came on, then the fans stopped, came on for a bit more, then started when the main screen for the lcd showing the ip came up, however it's not hashing now.

Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
FreeFelix

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 04:58:46 PM

OK So got my PSU back after sending it to Serbia for repair (the only place in Europe) - cost a lot in postage Sad

Installed and got it working ok and worked fine for about a week then the same thing. Orange LED on and Red LED flashing on the back

Got back in touch with the service guys who says it is overheating protection - has been unusually hot in UK recently.

But they cannot tell me how to reset the PSU as against company policy.

Anyone know about this and how to reset the PSU?

Or is it possible to use the ones for sale on the antminer site by adapting the cable to take the older style connectors (not PCI)

thanks for any suggestions
Pt0x

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 06:54:08 AM

Hi,

Sad Please implement and adjustable setting for this with a max temp of 80 degrees.   

BTC: 17sz6AoYVpwXjaStmnVCsGTufUhvrAMhTw
luthermarcus

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:00:54 AM

Hi,

Sad Please implement and adjustable setting for this with a max temp of 80 degrees.   
Yea it's like talking to a brick wall good luck with that happening.

Donate Bitcoin
1Mz7ZHxPhoH1ZK2yQvo62NdHvvsS2quhzc
Donate TRX
TB3WiLEj6iuSBU5tGUKyZkjB4vqrBDvoYM
MyRig
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 04:38:07 AM

If you are having the heat problem, the 1600W PSU from http://www.bitmaintech.com with a breakout board may perform better than the original S4 PSU, however, it also has performance temperature threshold as well.    One easy solution be try to find a box fan and place it in front of your miners and increase the air movement and it may.  

ERROR LED, you may unplug it, remove it from the S4 and place it in a cold place for a few hours, to make sure it is cold to the touch and try plugging it to the power cord and see if it works. (or let it sit in cold for a day unplugged and try again)

OK So got my PSU back after sending it to Serbia for repair (the only place in Europe) - cost a lot in postage Sad

Installed and got it working ok and worked fine for about a week then the same thing. Orange LED on and Red LED flashing on the back

Got back in touch with the service guys who says it is overheating protection - has been unusually hot in UK recently.

Or is it possible to use the ones for sale on the antminer site by adapting the cable to take the older style connectors (not PCI)

Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 05:02:29 AM

I'm in need of that Psu for my S4 but how do I order it with ring terminal ends and not the pcie connectors?
Legov

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 10:19:12 AM

Hi,

Yes. Please do this.
Or tell us how to configure the cgminer internally.

“It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and money system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company.
FreeFelix

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:41:16 AM

I'm in need of that Psu for my S4 but how do I order it with ring terminal ends and not the pcie connectors?

I was asking this question on another thread about this PSU - this is a reply I got

Is it possible to adapt this PSU to fit the older style S4?

Not with the PCI connectors but with the ones fitted with a nut and bolt?

Yes. BITMAIN AntMiner APW3-12-1600 PSU Series  has its own separate power board to connect the PCI-E cables with S4 cables.

Named S4 Power_Board V1.0

but you still need minimum 210V

This board comes standard with the PSU - have picture of the board but cannot see how to insert it in this message.
Hope this helps
FreeFelix

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:49:38 AM

If you are having the heat problem, the 1600W PSU from http://www.bitmaintech.com with a breakout board may perform better than the original S4 PSU, however, it also has performance temperature threshold as well.    One easy solution be try to find a box fan and place it in front of your miners and increase the air movement and it may.  

ERROR LED, you may unplug it, remove it from the S4 and place it in a cold place for a few hours, to make sure it is cold to the touch and try plugging it to the power cord and see if it works. (or let it sit in cold for a day unplugged and try again)

OK thanks for the suggestions - will try what you suggest - but I was wondering if there was a reset button/mechanism that could be initiated to reset it after it tripped.

Bet there is but Antminer not letting on.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 08:27:59 AM

OK thanks for the suggestions - will try what you suggest - but I was wondering if there was a reset button/mechanism that could be initiated to reset it after it tripped.

How hot of weather are we talking about around miner?   Also what CFM fan did you try on it?
FreeFelix

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 10:42:53 AM

How hot of weather are we talking about around miner?   Also what CFM fan did you try on it?

Hi There

It was unusually hot in the UK recently about 30 deg C last time I checked before it switched itself off the machine was running at about 63 deg C
I have them in the attic as I don't have a cellar - so as hot air rises....... Smiley
Have some S3's running there didn't seem bothered too much - must be the built in protection for the PSU that got triggered

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:26:45 PM

Hi There

It was unusually hot in the UK recently about 30 deg C last time I checked before it switched itself off the machine was running at about 63 deg C
I have them in the attic as I don't have a cellar - so as hot air rises....... Smiley
Have some S3's running there didn't seem bothered too much - must be the built in protection for the PSU that got triggered

Yes with having them in a attic you will have the hot air from the house rising, that is true.   Not all attic's are equal.  I would still try first put a decent CFM fan pushing extra air through the S4.  For summer I have some pretty big fan's pushing air through some of my gear.

Some things you can do is if you have attic vent's try putting fan's where it's hottest to push air through the attic vent.  Turns it from passive to a little active depending on what CFM fan you use.

If it get's really bad you might look into replacing gable fan (assuming your using one).  I had a lot of gear in a area with a gable fan and switched to http://www.homedepot.com/p/QuietCool-Professional-3013-CFM-Power-Gable-Mount-Attic-Fan-AFG-PRO-3-0/206047381 did a lot better at exhaust with all the extra power.   
lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 02:56:09 AM

Can some explain the difference between the S4 & the S4+

I understand it has more chips & it goes faster but does it have better w/gh?

If so & the chips are the same what can be done to bring our firmware inline with it??

PS Bitmain wheres the underclocking firmware?Huh

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██████████████████████████████
██                          ██
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:49:54 PM

Can some explain the difference between the S4 & the S4+

I understand it has more chips & it goes faster but does it have better w/gh?

If so & the chips are the same what can be done to bring our firmware inline with it??

PS Bitmain wheres the underclocking firmware?Huh

Biggest difference to me is S4 can run on 110.   If you want the bigger and more powerful S4+ you will need "(205V - 264V AC)".   

The S4+ does mention a better power efficiency.  Early S4 firmware had freq and voltage as far as underclocking.  In later firmware the feature of voltage was taken out I believe.
hewer

Activity: 3

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 12:42:36 AM

I have an antminer S4. It powers u p but does not connect or hash.

Here is what happens when I turn on the power.

1) Fans power up at high speed. The screen has power, but no text. Green LED next to screen is lit.
2) Fans power to a lower speed. Screen is still lit, but no text. Green LED turns off.
3) the word "Antminer-" appears on the screen
4) The 4 line screen display comes on line. Green LED is not lit.
5) the display says:
     Antminer S4
     0 GH/s
     Max 0 C

The green light next to the display does not come on either.

6) this is as far as the boot process goes. It never acquires an IP address, or start to hash.

Steps I have taken to troubleshoot:

1) check the ethernet cable, power cable, connection. I swapped in a functioning S4, and it powers up and connects to the internet and hashes.

2) Swapped the microSD chip from a functioning S4 with the chip from the non-hashing S4. Same results, Powers up but does not hash (no change in other words)

3) checked all cable connections. all appear good.

4) checked the voltage at the power leads to the board with a multimeter. Reads 25 V

5) Used a port scanner on my network before and after powering the Antminer. There are no new connections.

Can you please suggest additional troubleshooting steps?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 12:51:16 AM

I have an antminer S4. It powers u p but does not connect or hash.

Here is what happens when I turn on the power.

1) Fans power up at high speed. The screen has power, but no text. Green LED next to screen is lit.
2) Fans power to a lower speed. Screen is still lit, but no text. Green LED turns off.
3) the word "Antminer-" appears on the screen
4) The 4 line screen display comes on line. Green LED is not lit.
5) the display says:
     Antminer S4
     0 GH/s
     Max 0 C

The green light next to the display does not come on either.

6) this is as far as the boot process goes. It never acquires an IP address, or start to hash.

Steps I have taken to troubleshoot:

1) check the ethernet cable, power cable, connection. I swapped in a functioning S4, and it powers up and connects to the internet and hashes.

2) Swapped the microSD chip from a functioning S4 with the chip from the non-hashing S4. Same results, Powers up but does not hash (no change in other words)

3) checked all cable connections. all appear good.

4) checked the voltage at the power leads to the board with a multimeter. Reads 25 V

5) Used a port scanner on my network before and after powering the Antminer. There are no new connections.

Can you please suggest additional troubleshooting steps?

With working S4's did you try to switch PSU and see if that does the difference?    PSU's sadly have not been the greatest in some units.
Pages: « 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: