Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:51:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
sEpuLchEr

Activity: 248
Merit: 250

Are we there yet?

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 12:23:02 AM

I am happy to see you were taken care of. I hope to see more posts with the same message.
While I do not own the business I try to treat it like I do. There were 6 when I started and we are at 100 now. I do always treat the customer as though they are right, I always try to, but I make mistakes.

When I am the customer I have high expectations, especially of upper management and ownership.

As a customer, I will provide anything requested and follow any policy in place, even the ones I find out about after the fact. I did receive two S3 control boards from BITMAIN on Friday. Those two units are running. Thank You BITMAIN.

IT would be absolutely great if I could hear a status, ETA, short e-mail, phone call, or anything about the S4  PSU I sent back a week ago.

sEpuLchEr I truly am happy they knocked yours out of the park, and when my first PSU died I was cordial, everything happened and I received a different PSU within 5 or 6 days I think. I would need to check to make sure but I think it died on a Tuesday, I worked with them Wednesday evening troubleshooting, shipped Thursday, they had it Friday, they shipped the following Monday and I had on Tuesday evening.
The only thing I could do better as an owner would be to ship the part the day it fails, and BITMAIN should offer something when a PSU with the history of this unit and PSU replacements like that fails in a unit that had 1 week of age at that point.
I was still polite when it failed the second time about 1 week later. I sent everything I was asked, but was told to send it to Yoshi. I was told that even though I bought from Amazon, I did not buy from BITMAIN, I bought through ZOOMHASH, but Yoshi said he would handle it anyway. I offered a credit card, BTC, whatever was needed because I was sending the two control boards in as well. He told me he may have the PSU sent from the Factory, but that since I was in the US it may also be in Colorado. He said the computer didn't show one in Colorado, but that he would check and let me know.

After a couple of days I started getting concerned as this unit cost me $1,100.00 and had run a week. Of course then was when I started reading all of the horror stories about the PSUs, only being able to run on certain pools, SD cards, but I know how these things happen.
I e-mailed again politely. I called and left a simple message to please call me in Denver.

I have not been contacted by anyone and I start getting pretty upset. I start thinking through all of the BITMAIN products I have (far less than most here I'm sure) and I get more upset. I came here and ranted. I see some other people pretty upset dealing with power supply issues during batch 1, some batch 2, and both of mine are batch 2 power supplies.

I wanted to tell you that you are obviously correct. I lost my temper and typed a negative message after several days without a response and the beat goes on, several more days and still no response. I mean after a week do you have the right to be upset and get heated or when is the time, how long should it take to hear something?

I am happy you received the fans. What unit are those going in? I am picking up some fans as well.

They are for the 4 x S4s. My fans are dropping off 1 by 1 due to me being in Singapore and having the fans run at 100% 24/7. I agree Bitmain should have done more testing with the PSU and fans, and I have feedback to them. IMO, the psu failure could be due to the amp draw by 110/120v circuit and as for fans, they probably wasn't expecting it to be running at 100% rpm. China uses 220/240v like in Singapore, so testing is probably based on that. Same with the fan, probably tested in an environment that does not require the fans to be running at max rpm.

I think their failure rate is probably very good if you look at the overall. Can't say for certain but just for eg. if they sold 10k units with 100 psu failing. I would say that is pretty good! Miners aside, how many times have you RMA electrical products that you have at home. I have my fair share.

Reading what I just wrote, it seems I'm babbling and at the moment unable to rephrase due to lack of sleep. LOL. New baby girl  Grin

I understand the frustration when you get no response/reply/updates and I do try to treat every customer that I have equally, but it's harder said than done. I have customers emailing every 5 mins, or 3am asking why there is no reply or why at 3am is the phone not answered.....  Huh Huh Not easy.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2015, 01:33:28 PM

I agree Bitmain should have done more testing with the PSU and fans, and I have feedback to them. IMO, the psu failure could be due to the amp draw by 110/120v circuit and as for fans, they probably wasn't expecting it to be running at 100% rpm. China uses 220/240v like in Singapore, so testing is probably based on that. Same with the fan, probably tested in an environment that does not require the fans to be running at max rpm.

Neither of those components were designed or manufactured by Bitmain, so its a bit unfair to suggest they haven't done proper testing. They'll have done as comprehensive testing as physically possible, but its not always possible to verify someone elses claims of a 10,000 - 50,000 hour life time over a sensible timeframe. To some degree you have to trust that components already being sold into the market place by the 50,000 are established.

kkNft

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 05:23:38 PM

All "S4" sold out?
No longer will be on sale?
Giulini

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 05:43:03 PM

S6 is coming soon ?

All "S4" sold out?
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2015, 10:31:14 PM

S4 sold out.... YES  Cry

S6 is coming soon ?

All "S4" sold out?

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 12:53:58 AM

Some members are selling their S4's under marketplace / computer hardware  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=75.0

Also there are several on ebay.

S2 / S4 all in one units are too expensive to ship when margins are thin as they are now.  I think bitmain made the right choice making the S5 light and much cheaper to ship. 

SPtech is also moving away from their large SP3X series and focusing on their SP20. 

What I would be interested in is a long large perhaps 5U or 6U rack mount case that allows 2 rows of S5 hashboards / heatsinks to slide into a small footprint for datacenters.  As bitmain has maintained the same board size for the S1 / S3 / S5 they could continue to do so then one could simply swap out the old hashboards / heatsinks with newer models as they come out.  Eventually they could just sell the hashboards without heatsinks and decrease shipping costs even more.
eestimees

Activity: 651
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 09:18:22 AM

What I would be interested in is a long large perhaps 5U or 6U rack mount case that allows 2 rows of S5 hashboards / heatsinks to slide into a small footprint for datacenters.  As bitmain has maintained the same board size for the S1 / S3 / S5 they could continue to do so then one could simply swap out the old hashboards / heatsinks with newer models as they come out.  Eventually they could just sell the hashboards without heatsinks and decrease shipping costs even more.

I would buy that!

eestimees
dkaufman

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 01:50:14 PM

All "S4" sold out?

S4 sold out.... YES  Cry

S3+ Batch 11's seem to be gone from the site now too.  Double-frownie-face!  My S3's were the most stable and reliable products i ever bought from Bitmain.  They Just Worked.
jacobw

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 09:21:49 PM

Ordered 4. 2 of the IP address start with "192" and I can connect to them just fine. The other 2's IP is "127.0.0.1" and I cannot connect to them. Tried swapping SD's with the working ones, resetting and nothing. Any tips guys?
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 8906

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 09:40:29 PM

Ordered 4. 2 of the IP address start with "192" and I can connect to them just fine. The other 2's IP is "127.0.0.1" and I cannot connect to them. Tried swapping SD's with the working ones, resetting and nothing. Any tips guys?

Do you have a working DHCP server on the network? Tried swapping network cables, switch ports, etc? Looks like it's not getting an address via DHCP.
jacobw

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 09:50:35 PM

Do you have a working DHCP server on the network? Tried swapping network cables, switch ports, etc? Looks like it's not getting an address via DHCP.
Not sure what a DHCP server is lol. I have a main router in the house and a wifi extender out in the garage. I am running an ethernet cord from the wifi extender to a splitter which allows me to run 4 ethernet ports off one ethernet cable. I tried different cables. I have not swapped ports yet. Not sure how to do that though.
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 10:04:47 PM

Not sure what a DHCP server is lol. I have a main router in the house and a wifi extender out in the garage. I am running an ethernet cord from the wifi extender to a splitter which allows me to run 4 ethernet ports off one ethernet cable. I tried different cables. I have not swapped ports yet. Not sure how to do that though.

Unplug the network cable from one of the working miners and plug it into one of the "127" ones. That's what I meant - to make sure you are using a known good network setup.

Also sounds like your WiFi and/or "splitter" (is it a hub/switch or some other contraption?) might be an issue. I would suggest temporarily connect the miner to the router directly and make sure it works that way. Test the "splitter" without WiFi and vice versa. Try to isolate the issue by simplifying the setup.

Your router most likely has DHCP server in it, if you have other devices in the house working (computer/phones/etc), so you should be ok there.

Edit: just to make clear - "127.0.0.1" address won't work. You need to get a "192..." address, that's what the DHCP server is supposed to provide. Reboot the miner every time you change the network cables etc to force it to make a DHCP request.
jacobw

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 10:09:27 PM

Unplug the network cable from one of the working miners and plug it into one of the "127" ones. That's what I meant - to make sure you are using a known good network setup.

Also sounds like your WiFi and/or "splitter" (is it a hub/switch or some other contraption?) might be an issue. I would suggest temporarily connect the miner to the router directly and make sure it works that way. Test the "splitter" without WiFi and vice versa. Try to isolate the issue by simplifying the setup.

Your router most likely has DHCP server in it, if you have other devices in the house working (computer/phones/etc), so you should be ok there.
Okay, so I brought one of the 127 s4's into the house to the main router. It is working in there. So, it obviously has something to do with the wifi extender. I connected the ethernet cord directly to the wifi extender (the ethernet splitter was disconnected) and it still does not appear to work that way. I wonder how 2 can run fine off of it and then when I turn those off and try to run the other it does not work
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 10:18:17 PM

Okay, so I brought one of the 127 s4's into the house to the main router. It is working in there. So, it obviously has something to do with the wifi extender. I connected the ethernet cord directly to the wifi extender (the ethernet splitter was disconnected) and it still does not appear to work that way. I wonder how 2 can run fine off of it and then when I turn those off and try to run the other it does not work

Does your WiFi extender have some sort of configuration? Look for any "DHCP forwarding" options. Perhaps it doesn't do that by default or it doesn't work properly.

Another option is to connect the miners one by one to your router and set them up with static IPs, then move to the garage - chances are they would work then.
jacobw

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:09:40 PM

Does your WiFi extender have some sort of configuration? Look for any "DHCP forwarding" options. Perhaps it doesn't do that by default or it doesn't work properly.

Another option is to connect the miners one by one to your router and set them up with static IPs, then move to the garage - chances are they would work then.
So I reset the extender and it is now working without a flaw! I appreciate your help! See you over on GetHashing Wink
dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 03:32:49 AM

The "search" is disabled right now.  Otherwise, I'm sure I could find the answer to this question:

One of my fan blades on the back of an S4 popped out of its socket.  The metal axel is still connected to the fan blade(s) [propeller; whatever you want to call it].  The fan's axel simply came out on it's own from the housing and rested against one of the blades (circuit boards).  I took off the lid to see it like this.  I put the axel back in the hole in the center of the housing and pressed but it seem to not want to stay in there.  Will it click if I press harder?  I don't want to break the thing.

Will I need to buy another fan?  If so, what fan do I get?  Since I bought my S4's the end of November, is it still under warranty to get a replacement fan from BITMAIN?

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
sEpuLchEr

Are we there yet?

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 03:35:39 AM

The "search" is disabled right now.  Otherwise, I'm sure I could find the answer to this question:

One of my fan blades on the back of an S4 popped out of its socket.  The metal axel is still connected to the fan blade(s) [propeller; whatever you want to call it].  The fan's axel simply came out on it's own from the housing and rested against one of the blades (circuit boards).  I took off the lid to see it like this.  I put the axel back in the hole in the center of the housing and pressed but it seem to not want to stay in there.  Will it click if I press harder?  I don't want to break the thing.

Will I need to buy another fan?  If so, what fan do I get?  Since I bought my S4's the end of November, is it still under warranty to get a replacement fan from BITMAIN?

Mine doesn't pop. It just died. Send a PM to BitmainWarranty or an email to Yoshi. I'm sure they will fix you up. I got replacements for my fans from them.

Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 03:50:29 AM

Any of you guys giving this a try with your S4s? I posted results with one of my units in there.
sEpuLchEr

Are we there yet?

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:00:41 AM

Ay of you guys giving this a try with your S4s? I posted results with one of my units in there.

Wow. Looks interesting. Got to give it a try.

PS. It's sad that the community has to provide solution for things which Bitmain is supposed to do....

Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:09:00 AM

Ay of you guys giving this a try with your S4s? I posted results with one of my units in there.

Wow. Looks interesting. Got to give it a try.

PS. It's sad that the community has to provide solution for things which Bitmain is supposed to do....

Agreed. The least they could have done was include ck's superior cgminer into their firmware so we don't have to ssh into the machine every time a hash board dies and the machine has to be powered down, that would take all of 50 seconds. But we're still stuck with the same October 16th firmware since... Well, October 16th.
Pages: « 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: