Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:25:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 02:17:30 AM

What happens if I see this? Chain #3 just suddenly died on me after about three days of mining. Restarting didn't help at all:

Have you tried undoing any overclocking you did and then restart it?

Thanks for the help, I powered off the miner for five minutes and then restarted it once again. That seemed to fix the problem. What's the maximum safe operating temperature for the miner? Just curious.

You want to keep things <60C normally, 65+ something is wrong, 80+ immediate shutdown.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bolehvpn

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 03:26:21 AM

For the people that got their new PSU or if it's on the way, did Bitmain send you a tracking number for their new PSU?

I got a tracking number. They mentioned they started shipping yesterday.

BolehVPN [Offshore, no log VPN|Accepts BTC, DASH and XEM]
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 05:39:57 AM

Thank you so much for the time you've invested to make the S4 more funtional, ckolivas. I'm going to send you a donation tomorrow morning.

I'd like to try ck's new version tomorrow, but I have no idea how to go about updating cgminer. Can anyone shed some light, or point me towards a guide?
Assuming your S4's IP address was say 192.168.1.99:

Code:
ssh -l root 192.168.1.99 (or equivalent with putty)
wget http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s4/4.6.1-141018/cgminer
mv /usr/bin/cgminer /usr/bin/cgminer.bak
chmod +x cgminer
mv cgminer /usr/bin/cgminer
/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh restart

I think that might not keep across a power cycle though.

You were right, the changes don't stick across a power cycle. Is there any way to make them permanent?

Anyone? I'd like to make the change to lowmem permanent also.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 05:48:48 AM

Apparently the permanent filesystem changes need to be made to the filesystem in /config ? I don't have one of these btw, I only had temporary access to fiddle.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
dkaufman

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 05:59:58 AM

For the people that got their new PSU or if it's on the way, did Bitmain send you a tracking number for their new PSU?

I got an email from them today that said:

Quote from: Bitmain Tech <info@bitmaintech.com>

Subject: S4 PSU type double confirm for Batch1 and part of Batch 2 shipped out with issued PS

Dear customers,

we were just informed this afternoon that there are 2 type of PSU with different connector for S4, in order to make sure that you got the right type of PSU to match your miner, we'd like to you double check and confirm the PSU type for each order, provide us the graphic and detailed list following below format.

Code:
Order id                  PSU type       Graphic
0012ugemignidsmgxxxxxx    Type 1
0012oemgmeimgprgxxxxxx    Type 2

I provide each type with corresponding graphic as below. if all your miners with the same type of PSU, one graphic is OK, but be sure to list ALL the order id when replying this email.
Thanks for your cooperation in advance.

Type 1: with 6 pin pcie-connector only:

Type 2: with one 6 pin pcie-connector connecting the control board and some round cycles  connecting the hash board

Best Regards

BITMAIN

This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from BITMAIN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it! Thank you.

First, just let me say that, WTF?  You were just informed this afternoon, what was in the products you already shipped??  

This email makes no sense!  Bitmain, You need to hire native English speakers to handle your communications.  I don't understand what the subject of this email says.  I don't understand what is meant by: "provide us the graphic and detailed list following below format".  I don't know what they are saying about that incomplete chart with -- what are those weird "order id's" and why is the "Graphic" column empty :-(

But I suspect that I have to reply, maybe making a similar chart and filling in some information and sending it back to them, before I can get my power supply.  It's insane that they don't know what they sold me.  Don't they have serial numbers?  Don't they keep records?  Does this mean I have to take apart my working S4, remove its not-failed PSU, take pictures of it and send it to them?!?!

I'm fuming right now.  I willfully and flagrantly violate the effin' footer "prohibiting" me from disclosing the so-called information "herein" in hopes that you, Bitmain, or the community can help me glean some actual information from it.

-dave
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 06:53:30 AM

First, just let me say that, WTF?  You were just informed this afternoon, what was in the products you already shipped??  

This email makes no sense!  Bitmain, You need to hire native English speakers to handle your communications.  I don't understand what the subject of this email says.  I don't understand what is meant by: "provide us the graphic and detailed list following below format".  I don't know what they are saying about that incomplete chart with -- what are those weird "order id's" and why is the "Graphic" column empty :-(

But I suspect that I have to reply, maybe making a similar chart and filling in some information and sending it back to them, before I can get my power supply.  It's insane that they don't know what they sold me.  Don't they have serial numbers?  Don't they keep records?  Does this mean I have to take apart my working S4, remove its not-failed PSU, take pictures of it and send it to them?!?!

I'm fuming right now.  I willfully and flagrantly violate the effin' footer "prohibiting" me from disclosing the so-called information "herein" in hopes that you, Bitmain, or the community can help me glean some actual information from it.

-dave

It seems pretty straight forward to me.  You're supposed to list your units in the format they've shown.  Under "Order ID" you need to enter the order id you were given when you purchased the S4.  The next column, "PSU Type" you list what type of PSU your S4 has.  Type 1 is all 6-Pin PCIE, and Type 2 is one 6-Pin PCIE and Ring Terminals.  For "Graphic" You can attach a picture of your current S4 PSU, or copy the examples they've given you in case you have a head injury and can't figure out whether you have Type 1 or Type 2.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 06:57:40 AM

This email makes no sense!  Bitmain, You need to hire native English speakers to handle your communications.  I don't understand what the subject of this email says.  I don't understand what is meant by: "provide us the graphic and detailed list following below format".  I don't know what they are saying about that incomplete chart with -- what are those weird "order id's" and why is the "Graphic" column empty :-(

But I suspect that I have to reply, maybe making a similar chart and filling in some information and sending it back to them, before I can get my power supply.  It's insane that they don't know what they sold me.  Don't they have serial numbers?  Don't they keep records?  Does this mean I have to take apart my working S4, remove its not-failed PSU, take pictures of it and send it to them?!?!

Yeah, it's fucked up, but I think it's quite clear what they are asking for. Send them your order number(s) and specify the PSU type(s). I don't think you need to take pictures or take it apart, just open up the case and check what types of cables come out of the PSU. You'll need to open up the case anyway when you get the replacement, so it's just a rehearsal Smiley
AlittleBitMore

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 01:40:31 PM

From the 2 types of psu connectors it looks like there are 2 types of hashing boards. can anyone confirm this. And if so ??.
dlowings

Activity: 226

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 01:45:17 PM

Yeah, it's fucked up, but I think it's quite clear what they are asking for. Send them your order number(s) and specify the PSU type(s). I don't think you need to take pictures or take it apart, just open up the case and check what types of cables come out of the PSU. You'll need to open up the case anyway when you get the replacement, so it's just a rehearsal Smiley

you can confirm by looking in the large front fan hole with a bright flashlight. I did not want to turn mine off due to rick of having another one blow up … the fan turns at such a high rate of speed you can see right in to where it connects to the hash boards, wire type and connector can clearly be seen while the unit is still running .

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
neo9436

Activity: 211

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:06:55 PM

I got an email from them today that said:

Quote from: Bitmain Tech <info@bitmaintech.com>

Subject: S4 PSU type double confirm for Batch1 and part of Batch 2 shipped out with issued PS

Dear customers,

we were just informed this afternoon that there are 2 type of PSU with different connector for S4, in order to make sure that you got the right type of PSU to match your miner, we'd like to you double check and confirm the PSU type for each order, provide us the graphic and detailed list following below format.

Code:
Order id                  PSU type       Graphic
0012ugemignidsmgxxxxxx    Type 1
0012oemgmeimgprgxxxxxx    Type 2

I provide each type with corresponding graphic as below. if all your miners with the same type of PSU, one graphic is OK, but be sure to list ALL the order id when replying this email.
Thanks for your cooperation in advance.

Type 1: with 6 pin pcie-connector only:

Type 2: with one 6 pin pcie-connector connecting the control board and some round cycles  connecting the hash board

Best Regards

BITMAIN

This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from BITMAIN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it! Thank you.

-dave

I got the same email. They just want to make sure they are sending you the right PSU the first time. I opened up my S4 and snapped a pic of the inside, and replied with my Order ID, Type 1 PSU and the picture below:

They replied a few hours later and said they will prepare the shipment and give me a tracking number.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 03:09:04 PM

Thank you to everyone who suggested setting difficulty in this thread on certain pools.  It seems to help and start fine tuning very quick after getting it Smiley.
neo9436

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 03:53:35 PM

Just got my tracking number, new PSU on the way!
Yun789

Activity: 9

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:27:32 PM

just got my tracking number too.. but here's the question, do they expect us to pay for the import duty? and same with sending their psu back to them as suggested in the last email? cause thats gonna hurt my wallet if i have to pay for that again..
neo9436

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:34:25 PM

just got my tracking number too.. but here's the question, do they expect us to pay for the import duty? and same with sending their psu back to them as suggested in the last email? cause thats gonna hurt my wallet if i have to pay for that again..

I don't think so. They shipped me a new control board to replace a faulty one I had in an S3, marked it warranty, I didn't have to pay any duty.

And if they ask for the old PSU to be returned, I'm assuming they will send you a shipping label for UPS and all you will have to do is drop it off or have it picked up (that's what I had to do with my faulty control board), didn't cost me anything.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:41:34 PM

My PSU is also on it's way.

Apparently the permanent filesystem changes need to be made to the filesystem in /config ? I don't have one of these btw, I only had temporary access to fiddle.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to figure that out later. If ever you need access to an S4 for any reason, just contact me. I have a batch 1 and a batch 2 that you can fiddle with.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2531

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 06:19:38 PM

Duty? Not in the US at least. Is part of the shipping cost.
As for returns/replacements. No duty as long as parts are marked as warranty replacements. Even if Bitmain wants to old one back as long as marked as a Return no duty applies (plus if any did would be their problem, not yours)

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
StormTheFront

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 08:50:11 PM

Thank you to everyone who suggested setting difficulty in this thread on certain pools.  It seems to help and start fine tuning very quick after getting it Smiley.

If you haven't yet, try this.
Changes won't stick across power cycle, but it does make a noticeable difference.
Combined with setting pool difficulty to 2048 it should get you to advertised speeds.

Angry of course, a proper firmware should eventually be made available so that nobody has to do any of this Angry
Oh well, maybe for Christmas 2015.

Assuming your S4's IP address was say 192.168.1.99:

Code:
ssh -l root 192.168.1.99 (or equivalent with putty)
wget http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s4/4.6.1-141018/cgminer
mv /usr/bin/cgminer /usr/bin/cgminer.bak
chmod +x cgminer
mv cgminer /usr/bin/cgminer
/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh restart

I think that might not keep across a power cycle though.
manitu

Activity: 22

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 08:51:49 PM

Hi, yesterday I received an email about sending 3 new PSUs and information that other 7 will be shipped ASAP. I was really happy because I have had 3 miners without PSUs, but not for a long time. Nowadays I have 10 pcs S4 B1 and 10 pcs S4 B2 and a lot of S3+ miners.

Today morning when I arrived to work I smelled burnt stink. Employees were scared, called me and ran around. WTF I said for myself. I hoped that the reason for all arround was not caused by miners but I was not right. I looked at the miners and two of them were down. Immediately I switched off all breakers dedicated for miners. And yes, one miner had PSU burned down. It was very easy to find which miner was bad Sad It was the fourth failed PSU. I checked all breakers and only one was switched off automatically.

When the smell disappeared from the building (after 2 hours) I started with switching on the breakers one by one. After that I switched on PSUs on S4s. But another one from B1 and also one from B2 could not start. Also fans were stopped. I tried to reconnect the power but nothing helped. I have not understood what happened. All miners were running more than one week continuously.
The PSUs do have really some problems. I hoped that PSUs in B2 were good, but....or today is only bad day for mining Smiley

Today status is 5 failed PSUs from 10 pcs from B1 and one failed PSU from 10 pcs from B2.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 08:55:22 PM

Hi, yesterday I received an email about sending 3 new PSUs and information that other 7 will be shipped ASAP. I was really happy because I have had 3 miners without PSUs, but not for a long time. Nowadays I have 10 pcs S4 B1 and 10 pcs S4 B2 and a lot of S3+ miners.

Today morning when I arrived to work I smelled burnt stink. Employees were scared, called me and ran around. WTF I said for myself. I hoped that the reason for all arround was not caused by miners but I was not right. I looked at the miners and two of them were down. Immediately I switched off all breakers dedicated for miners. And yes, one miner had PSU burned down. It was very easy to find which miner was bad Sad It was the fourth failed PSU. I checked all breakers and only one was switched off automatically.

When the smell disappeared from the building (after 2 hours) I started with switching on the breakers one by one. After that I switched on PSUs on S4s. But another one from B1 and also one from B2 could not start. Also fans were stopped. I tried to reconnect the power but nothing helped. I have not understood what happened. All miners were running more than one week continuously.
The PSUs do have really some problems. I hoped that PSUs in B2 were good, but....or today is only bad day for mining Smiley

Today status is 5 failed PSUs from 10 pcs from B1 and one failed PSU from 10 pcs from B2.

Can you confirm that the B2 miner that failed had a sticker on it? Early B2 units were shipped out with defective PSU also. You can see it by removing the top, no need to remove the PSU. (on my B2 anyways, maybe the sticker is elsewhere on others)
manitu

Activity: 22

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:03:13 PM

Can you confirm that the B2 miner that failed had a sticker on it? Early B2 units were shipped out with defective PSU also. You can see it by removing the top, no need to remove the PSU. (on my B2 anyways, maybe the sticker is elsewhere on others)
Yes there is a sticker. On the other hand I have to say this B2 has a bit different inside in comparison with B1.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: