Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:37:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 ... 1126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Obyte: Totally new consensus algorithm + private untraceable payments  (Read 1233954 times)
disconnectme

Activity: 1876
Merit: 512

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 12:12:34 PM

I observe this thread from the beginning and I'm a bit disappointed that there is no community management at all. I once had a few ideas for the bot store, the distribution and posted other things here, for example the observation, that the Byteball Explorer is unreadable for human users at the moment, etc. Maybe the ideas were crap, but you can also discuss that. No reaction from the Byteball team, although this thread has 1055 pages. I am an investor from the depths of the top 50 addresses (richlist from Byteball.fr - the site is also offline since a few days?! ....anotherone who turns away?) and disappointed that there is no reaction at all.

I will sell my byteball funds now and sell all the bytes I have kept for more than a year.

If anyone is interested, she/he can contact me.

Bitcointalk is not really the best place to discuss ideas. For the longest time there was no team and Tony basically had to do everything by himself. He didn't have time for community management, he was working 18 hours a day on the platform. Anyone could and still can become a contributor through github. Only a few people did. Byteball didn't have ICO funds to work with to hire a team so it had to completely depend on volunteers. Of which I was one myself. I recently joined the team though, since we do have some funds now. We discuss most things on our Slack (https://slack.byteball.org/), which is also free for anyone to join.

The biggest problem is that people just sit and wait for their coins to magically increase in value and let other people do all the work. It doesn't work like that. No community management? Volunteer to do community management, et voila, now it's there.
This is the challenge now on BCT most of the discussion hare are not technical it is more of price and marketing and is getting frustrating for developers to give answers to thesame question every time. So what do they do they move to another platform where discussion is less on price talk

█ ▀  ▄
  ▄ █  █▌ 
▄    █
        ███
                  ▀▀▀▀▀██
         ███          ███
      ███     【】     ███
   ███   【】【】   ███
██▀           █  █         ▀██         
█▄          █  █        ▄██
   ███       █  █     ███
      ███   █  ███ 
         ███    █    ███
            ███   ███

.T o o l K i t z A I .Break The Barrier.

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████

███████████████████████████████████████████████████
TRY DEMO
███████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████

▄▄████
                 ▄▄████████▌
           ▄▄█████████▀███
     ▄▄██████████▀▀  ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀    ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀     ▄███████▌
      ██     ▄█████████
       █   ▄██████████▌
       █   ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Thul

Activity: 140
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 12:12:35 PM

Byteball gets a shout out by US army:
http://madsciblog.tradoc.army.mil/tag/byteball/

Not really in a positive way, but interesting that they found it it even noteworthy. The article they cite is in Russian, but from the title suggests byteball is under Russian government control.

If you think about it, take the assumption that byteball was funded by Russian intelligence, it was probably a worthwhile venture that collected valuable information and has probably paid for itself many times over.

When Putin for next "decentralized" witness?  Cheesy
Thanks for the tip.
This would explain many things, especially the incomprehensible resistance to cognition.
Thul

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 12:25:51 PM

@Random String Symphony

In fact, I understand very little from the technical point of view, and thus I share the state of knowledge with the masses.

What interests me as a layman:
What happens if all witnesses are shut down by state agreements and the further operation of such witnesses is made illegal internationally?

What consequences does such a scenario have for an inexperienced user of the bite ball wallet who does not read along here in the forum or on Slack or obtain information elsewhere?
barborrico

Activity: 111
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 12:36:20 PM

I advise everyone not to use a centralized system of twelve openly working witnesses = easy target for state attacks.

It is not centralized. Please read, and then we could discuss, if your thoughts are open to critics.

https://steemit.com/byteball/@barborrico/witnesses-in-byteball

https://steemit.com/byteball/@barborrico/witnesses-in-byteball-and-ii

@Random String Symphony you have a pm
CryptoUnicornRider

Activity: 36

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 12:38:19 PM

Hello cryptohunter Grin

Let me quote you first :

[...]
You should really quote the entire post and put it all into context really.
[...]

But why should I put the full quote ?

[...] you can not just grab 2 words from 2 different paragraphs and conflate them to mean the same thing.
[...]

As you wish my dear snowflake  Grin

Hello dear snowflake complainers  Grin

I know you have reading and understanding troubles, so I will limit myself to very simple and very specific questions.

First set of questions :

Do you know what is/are the Byteball product(s) ?

Do you know what is/are the Byteball specific market sector(s) ?

Do you know what is/are the Byteball target group(s) ?

Do you know how to soak up deeply the mind of the Byteball target group(s) ?

Do you know what is/are need(s) of the Byteball target group(s) ?

Do you know what is/are the Byteball method(s) to reach its aim(s) ?

So, you pretend that the Byteball team should focus exclusively on early investors, holders and speculators.

Second set of questions :

Could you explain us why ?

Could you explain us what is the added value of this group for the Byteball platform ?

Could you explain us what have they do for the Byteball platform and what have you do ?

By the way, you pretend that the Byteball team should also focus on building Blackbytes bridges with BISQ and OpenBazaar.

Third set of questions :

Do you know what is Blackbytes ?

Do you know how works Blackbytes ?

Do you know how works BISQ ?

Could you explain us why the Byteball team should help criminals ?

Could you explain us what will be the consequences for the Byteball team and the Byteball platform if they help criminals ?

Don't make me wait too long, I have an article to write and your expertise will help me. By the way, don't hesitate to collaborate and don't hesitate to be more specific than yes or no answers Wink

See you soon

Is it better now Huh

So let's analyse your answer. By honesty, I will add that you were answering to the second set of questions.

been explained, please go and re-read my simple explanation.

then any specific points you don't understand or do not agree with then please come back and I will assist you.

So, basically, you don't really answer to any question. I read all your past answers dear cryptohunter even if I was silent all this time. You are exclusively focus on early adopters, investors and speculators. Worst, you ignore totally the Byteball Foundation aims and all other Byteball target groups. And you definetly don't care about the technology or its possibilities. All your previous posts reveal it without a doubt and by consequence your opinion is biased.

I will allow myself to quote you partly one more time to prove my point.

[...]
I think we are worrying about the wrong thing at the wrong time.

CC is all about speculation right now.

Who is using eos, ada, iota, right now?

Adoption will come later. For now speculators is who you need to worry about. Give them reason to buy and hold byteball. You want to be in the top 10 to top 15 on cmc. Although we know that can be faked and means little because many have such a narrow distribution.
[...]

To conclude

Could you explain us [...] what have you do ?

I think you are just a greedy and selfish speculator who wants more free money without effort. And all your past arguments demonstrate my assumption Grin

I'm waiting better answers from you cryptohunter.

barborrico

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 12:47:33 PM

What happens if all witnesses are shut down by state agreements and the further operation of such witnesses is made illegal internationally?
Come on man, when states as a whole agreed to impose something? Are you really scared about that?

Also there would be financial incentives being a "rebel" country. Nash equilibrium.

What consequences does such a scenario have for an inexperienced user of the bite ball wallet who does not read along here in the forum or on Slack or obtain information elsewhere?
Their transactions won't confirm. Not a problem in an almost impossible case.

Same impossibility as reverting bitcoin transactions. Theoretically yes, practically no.
CryptoUnicornRider

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 12:48:13 PM

Not really in a positive way, but interesting that they found it it even noteworthy. The article they cite is in Russian, but from the title suggests byteball is under Russian government control.

If you think about it, take the assumption that byteball was funded by Russian intelligence, it was probably a worthwhile venture that collected valuable information and has probably paid for itself many times over.

Hello jwinterm,

So, because it was founded by a Russian guy, maybe even a Russian intelligence guy, the Byteball technical proposal doesn't deserve respect ?

Who was Satoshi Nakamoto ? Could it be a CIA guy or group trying to make CIA money less trackable ?

Your argument is ridiculous.

Btw, thank you for the article :-)
pineapple express

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 01:16:21 PM

Come on man, when states as a whole agreed to impose something? Are you really scared about that?
- The sale of marijuana is prohibited in most countries of the world, while the sale of tobacco and alcohol is encouraged. It has been proven that marijuana is the least harmless from this list and even contributes to the treatment of certain disorders.
- AML, KYC
- customs duties impede free trade and encourage monopolism of the elect by government
Thul

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 01:20:37 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2018, 02:09:34 PM by Thul

Also there would be financial incentives being a "rebel" country. Nash equilibrium.

Their transactions won't confirm. Not a problem in an almost impossible case.

Same impossibility as reverting bitcoin transactions. Theoretically yes, practically no.

I'll translate the answer:
Without witnesses, the payment system would collapse.

As a result of an international mass adoption (which is what we are striving for) and under the assumption that via black bites contract killers, drugs, weapons, etc. are traded, the witnesses would get into the line of fire as a single point of failures in every state, and would also be just as easily eliminated.
Moreover, it would be questionable whether in such a negative environment reputable witnesses can be found at all.

So let us hope that there is no mass adoption?
In the shadow of Bitcoin and Monero and for a small nerdy target group bite ball could surely survive.

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 01:22:03 PM

Hello jwinterm,

So, because it was founded by a Russian guy, maybe even a Russian intelligence guy, the Byteball technical proposal doesn't deserve respect ?

Who was Satoshi Nakamoto ? Could it be a CIA guy or group trying to make CIA money less trackable ?

It's quite a bit different than Bitcoin as I'm sure you're aware, considering one Russian guy is in control of the entire network, but that's not really what I was alluding to in terms of it being a potentially worthwhile venture for Russian intelligence.

Let's say they spent a few hundred thousand USD funding byteball and getting it off the ground. Now they get thousands of bitcoin users linking their coins to get bytes, followed by real name attestation of thousands of users, as well as steem attestation of users. For people that did all three, the Russian intelligence (or at the very least Tony) can tie together the real name, Bitcoin holdings, and political proclivities of thousands of people. Don't you think political operatives or tax authorities or police state might find this information useful? Even if it's not an intelligence operation, doesn't it make you somewhat squeamish that Tony could sell this information to Cambridge analytica or its ilk?

Yes, there's a meme about maybe the CIA launched Bitcoin, but it's not nearly such a straight line as this, and Satoshi never asked for your drivers license and a selfie.

Sorry for the whining. Carry on berating bag holders...
pineapple express

Activity: 630

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 01:25:46 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2018, 01:45:04 PM by pineapple express

and under the assumption that via black bites contract killers, drugs, weapons, etc. are traded, the witnesses would get into the line of fire as a single point of failures in every state, and would also be just as easily eliminated.
no need even black bites, people will do it with white balls. All witnesses will be arested, because technically they are the administrators of the payment network used for illegal activities, without requirement KYC and AML for all it's users.
Bitcoin was not the first type of online money to be ever created, as it was preceded by E-Gold and Liberty Reserve, to name a few. The creator of Liberty Reserve was sentenced to 20 years in prison on May 6th.
The founder of the digital currency service Liberty Reserve has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
Prosecutors in New York said many of its clients had been cybercriminals who had sought to move funds anonymously.
Two other men involved in the business were sentenced to shorter jail terms.
Two more people will be sentenced on 13 May.
The authorities are still trying to locate a further two suspects.
Users had to provide a name, date of birth and an email address - but prosecutors said fake credentials had been accepted.
Account holders "converted" their cash into one of the company's digital currencies, following which an "instantaneous" transfer was made and the sum converted back into real-world cash.
For this, the company charged up to $2.99 (£1.98) per transaction
Arthur Budovsky, who was responsible for creating and running this platform, was taken into custody by Spanish law enforcement agencies, and later on extradited to the US

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36247289
tarmo888

Activity: 563

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2018, 01:40:51 PM

Do you just love to spread FUD or do you actually think though anything at all?
And what is that valuable information that the intelligence could be collecting via Byteball that they couldn't get through other means?

Russia laundered $20.8 billion through European banks between 2011 and 2014.
Just between 2005-2012, Russia laundered $234 billion through single Danske Bank branch in Estonia.
Byteball market cap is under $30 million.
So, does it make any sense for money laundering or funding secret projects?
NO. Cryptocurrency exchanges don't let you move more than $10 thousand without KYC. You can send from address to address, but you can't take out, which makes money laundering useless with cryptocurrencies. Cryptocurrencies are not great for money laundering, even when we are finally able to pay all our everyday purchases with them.

Also, I haven't used myself, but didn't blackbytes work so that it is really difficult to do big payments?
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 01:46:15 PM

Yes. Me and the United States army love spreading fud about shitcoins.
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2018, 01:48:29 PM

It's quite a bit different than Bitcoin as I'm sure you're aware, considering one Russian guy is in control of the entire network, but that's not really what I was alluding to in terms of it being a potentially worthwhile venture for Russian intelligence.

Let's say they spent a few hundred thousand USD funding byteball and getting it off the ground. Now they get thousands of bitcoin users linking their coins to get bytes, followed by real name attestation of thousands of users, as well as steem attestation of users. For people that did all three, the Russian intelligence (or at the very least Tony) can tie together the real name, Bitcoin holdings, and political proclivities of thousands of people. Don't you think political operatives or tax authorities or police state might find this information useful? Even if it's not an intelligence operation, doesn't it make you somewhat squeamish that Tony could sell this information to Cambridge analytica or its ilk?

Yes, there's a meme about maybe the CIA launched Bitcoin, but it's not nearly such a straight line as this, and Satoshi never asked for your drivers license and a selfie.

None of these attestations are required in order do use Byteball and you don't even have to do it from same devices and for same addresses.
Point of KYC is exactly that, do link your address to a person, so if you are fine with that, there is should be a problem, but if you take any service as a potentially a one who could sell it to Cambridge Analytica then just don't insert info that you are not comfortable with.
Thul

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 01:49:20 PM

and under the assumption that via black bites contract killers, drugs, weapons, etc. are traded, the witnesses would get into the line of fire as a single point of failures in every state, and would also be just as easily eliminated.
no need even black bites, people will do it with white balls. All witnesses will be arested, because technically they are the administrators of the payment network used for illegal activities, without requirement KYC and AML for all it's users.
Bitcoin was not the first type of online money to be ever created, as it was preceded by E-Gold and Liberty Reserve, to name a few. The creator of Liberty Reserve was sentenced to 20 years in prison on May 6th.
The founder of the digital currency service Liberty Reserve has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
Prosecutors in New York said many of its clients had been cybercriminals who had sought to move funds anonymously.
Users had to provide a name, date of birth and an email address - but prosecutors said fake credentials had been accepted.
Account holders "converted" their cash into one of the company's digital currencies, following which an "instantaneous" transfer was made and the sum converted back into real-world cash.
Arthur Budovsky, who was responsible for creating and running this platform, was taken into custody by Spanish law enforcement agencies, and later on extradited to the US

Thank you very much @pineapple express.

----------------------------
Nothing is carved in stone, not even the current bite ball protocol.
There is still time to change the protocol. Unfortunately you tend not to use this time.

We useless lazybones can't do more than point it out.
Thul

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 02:20:03 PM

Question: How does a sectarian react to fundamental arguments?
Answer: With ignorance. It cannot be what may not be.

In a few days/weeks/months the next rounds will come on the subject of witnesses. - Back to the beginning.

The linked article from @jwinterm seems more and more plausible to me.
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2018, 02:50:37 PM

@Random String Symphony

In fact, I understand very little from the technical point of view, and thus I share the state of knowledge with the masses.

What interests me as a layman:

You don't understand how technically things work, yet you feel that people who do understand should take your opinions seriously?
CryptoUnicornRider

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 02:56:13 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2018, 03:31:35 PM by CryptoUnicornRider

Hello jwinterm,

Hi jwinterm,

Yes, indeed, these data could be used against holders by tax administrations and governments.

But it's a naive way of thinking. When I want to buy bitcoins in my country, I have several choices. Unfortunately, in most of them, I have to provide my phone number or go trough a KYC process. Obviously, there are other means to proceed but in most of them, there is always a fingerprint which authorities can follow easily if they consider that I'm a person of interest.

And last methods available to acquire some btc are potentially dangerous.

Worst, if I want to sell my btc or other cryptos without risk, I have always to provide a data that will allow my government to find me if it wishes. Obviously, I can try to sell it dangerously for cash in streets.

And if I want to trade some shitcoins, I have several no-KYC platforms at my disposal but at my own risks obviously. And all good ones require a KYC process.

Basically, I cannot hide without assuming safety risks for myself. So, why trying to hide myself when my money is honest ?

Don't be sorry for the whining because I understand it. I could do the same thing but I have to be rational and defend my bag.  The best way I found to defend it, it's investing myself to educate people to how powerful is the Byteball technology and the opportunity it represents for the future.

My point is definitely not to offend people or to mock them but I hate disloyal arguments and unfair/ignorant propaganda. For instance, using the russophobia against Byteball is an unfair argument in my opinion. And when we know the Byteball KYC process goes through Jumio which is a US company related to US banking system, it's yet more unfair and disloyal.

Obviously, everybody is welcome on the Byteball BitcoinTalk thread but courtesy is required to keep the thread useful to the biggest number possible. That's all.

See you soon ;-)
CryptoUnicornRider

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 03:18:14 PM

Question: How does a sectarian react to fundamental arguments?
Answer: With ignorance. It cannot be what may not be.

In a few days/weeks/months the next rounds will come on the subject of witnesses. - Back to the beginning.

The linked article from @jwinterm seems more and more plausible to me.

Hi Thul,

Since I'm reading you, I can't stop thinking that all your posts and word choices reflect your own unconsciousness. Are you living in some tyrannic, hateful and abnormally puritan country ?

My point is obviously not to offend you but you should stop using despicable words.

You reveal you don't understand the technology, so why continuing to attack something you don't understand ? This neurotic behavior makes you look like an obscurantist.

You should sincerly take the time to understand what is happening and if you're not able to support a bear market caused by greedy and selfish people (early investors, speculators and ignorant people), maybe you should simply sell your bag to protect your own mental health.

Regards
barborrico

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 04:01:59 PM

https://steemit.com/byteball/@barborrico/witnesses-in-byteball-and-ii

I'll translate the answer:
Without witnesses, the payment system would collapse.
Oh, really??!?! I didn't know it!!!

Byteball needs witnesses. With a fixed list it would work too. In any case, the way of changing the list, determines who has the power over the system.
You did not read.

As a result of an international mass adoption (which is what we are striving for) and under the assumption that via black bites contract killers, drugs, weapons, etc. are traded, the witnesses would get into the line of fire as a single point of failures in every state, and would also be just as easily eliminated.
You are wrong. As a result of an international mass adoption, there would be economic incentives that would impede such scenario.

Moreover, it would be questionable whether in such a negative environment reputable witnesses can be found at all.
Negative... and talking about the result of an international mass adoption... no comment

So let us hope that there is no mass adoption?
In the shadow of Bitcoin and Monero and for a small nerdy target group bite ball could surely survive.
Time will tell, don't worry.

- The sale of marijuana is prohibited in most countries of the world, while the sale of tobacco and alcohol is encouraged. It has been proven that marijuana is the least harmless from this list and even contributes to the treatment of certain disorders.
Most is different from all. They don't agree on nothing.

- AML, KYC
- customs duties impede free trade and encourage monopolism of the elect by government
Did explicitly agreed states on this? I don't think so.

Yes, yes, state is god.

What happened with confirmed transactions? Destroyed.

The same would not happen with byteball. Witnesses have nothing to say about/they can't harm already confirmed transactions. CANNOT.

Panic? For sure. Unrecoverable error? Not at all. Platform broken? Don't make me laugh...
Pages: « 1 ... 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 ... 1126 »
  Print  

Jump to: