Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:34:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 [532] 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 ... 814 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2591624 times)
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 09:33:11 PM

I'm thinking of switching to P2Pool but don't want to run my own node. I've looked at the node list and some like p2pool.org seem like scams. Can someone suggest a node in the southeast i"m in Charlotte NC? Would be running about 10-15TH depending on how I decide to split it. Thanks
Coincadence or mdudes pool node

Mine is in LA, CA.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 01:12:02 PM

I'm thinking of switching to P2Pool but don't want to run my own node. I've looked at the node list and some like p2pool.org seem like scams. Can someone suggest a node in the southeast i"m in Charlotte NC? Would be running about 10-15TH depending on how I decide to split it. Thanks

http://p2pool-nodes.info/ Search here for an US node where you have the lowest latency. If you don't know what latency is then just ping the nodes from the same network as your miner and pick the lowest ping(measured in ms=milliseconds).

Good luck!

PatMan

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2014, 01:51:37 PM

I see there's been an update for p2pool......anyone tried it?

Would be nice if forrestv would make some kind of announcement - but at least he updated the header to reflect the hash rate..... Wink

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
hamburgerhelper

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:29:58 PM

If you are mining on P2Pool.org you are paying a 100% fee!

I was afraid this might happen...

After 2 weeks of being pointed to http://minefast.coincadence.com with instructions to switch nodes, and an additional week of being completely offline I restarted the p2pool node at p2pool.org at a 100% fee, there is still over 800GH/s mining there.

On Thursday when we launch the new site it will become apparent why we are running p2pool.org at a 100% fee.

Anyway, if those are your miners and you do not want to contribute 100% of your mining power to p2pool.org, you may want to move them to another node Wink

Hi windpath,

If your goal is to shut down the p2pool node on p2pool.org, I think the most direct way to accomplish that would be to turn off the p2pool software. Taking 100% of the mining proceeds could be interpreted in a negative way, especially by the miners connected to the node. Sure, you could say that they should have paid closer attention to their equipment but they may not see it that way! Maybe there is a technical reason that you can't turn off the p2pool node and the 100% tax is the only way to get people off of the node?

I'm not trying to criticize you personally, I just think that this could be handled in a way that doesn't potentially lead to angry miners, lawsuits, bad publicity for p2pool, etc.

Thanks for all of your efforts to make p2pool easier to use and enhance its popularity. I know that you've worked hard to grow p2pool, and I appreciate your efforts.
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2014, 11:43:49 PM

If you are mining on P2Pool.org you are paying a 100% fee!

I was afraid this might happen...

After 2 weeks of being pointed to http://minefast.coincadence.com with instructions to switch nodes, and an additional week of being completely offline I restarted the p2pool node at p2pool.org at a 100% fee, there is still over 800GH/s mining there.

On Thursday when we launch the new site it will become apparent why we are running p2pool.org at a 100% fee.

Anyway, if those are your miners and you do not want to contribute 100% of your mining power to p2pool.org, you may want to move them to another node Wink

Hi windpath,

If your goal is to shut down the p2pool node on p2pool.org, I think the most direct way to accomplish that would be to turn off the p2pool software. Taking 100% of the mining proceeds could be interpreted in a negative way, especially by the miners connected to the node. Sure, you could say that they should have paid closer attention to their equipment but they may not see it that way! Maybe there is a technical reason that you can't turn off the p2pool node and the 100% tax is the only way to get people off of the node?

I'm not trying to criticize you personally, I just think that this could be handled in a way that doesn't potentially lead to angry miners, lawsuits, bad publicity for p2pool, etc.

Thanks for all of your efforts to make p2pool easier to use and enhance its popularity. I know that you've worked hard to grow p2pool, and I appreciate your efforts.

For now this seems like the only viable solution, the node is offline.

If your miners are set to mine on p2pool.org and you do not wish to contribute all your hash power to our as yet unannounced project, then I suggest you point them elsewhere, when the node does come back online it will remain at a 100% fee Smiley

Feel free to mine on minefast.CoinCadence.com for a 0% fee...
norgan

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Decentralize your hashing - p2pool - Norgz Pool

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 01:56:02 AM

ok guys, I want to compile p2pool for windows. I've tried a few times but always have issues with missing modules such as twisted and zope. doesn't seem to matter how I install them. anyone got a definitive guide for compiling a new p2pool build on windows with the latest versions of twisted and zope etc

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
PatMan

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 02:31:14 AM

Never done it on windoze I'm afraid, sorry.

Just a heads up for you mergers out there, HUC & NMC have both been updated - less mem usage & a few more techy bits....... Wink

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:46:20 AM

In regard to merge mining (and I apologize if I've missed it in this thread)...how do you pay found merge mined blocks back to your nodes miners? I see that some people manually convert merge mined coins to BTC and then do a "send many" back to p2pool but has anyone figure out something better?

Someone forked proxy pool to accept a second coins payment address in the password field but every public site using it has since shut down. I am concerned that it may not be a viable solution.  Undecided

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 07:11:40 AM

http://p2pool-nodes.info/ Search here for an US node where you have the lowest latency. If you don't know what latency is then just ping the nodes from the same network as your miner and pick the lowest ping(measured in ms=milliseconds).

Good luck!

Roll Eyes

Find nodes with at least a few hundred shares.  Ignore pool's DOA rate unless it's abnormal (like the old p2pool.org's).  Divide orphans by number of shares, get pool's orphan %.  Depending on what the p2pool is mining, it'll interrupt x amount of times per hour.  Take ping time, multiple it by 2, then multiply it by the number of interruptions.  200ms x 2 = 400ms round trip x 4 interrupts per minute = 1600ms = 1.6s out of 60 = pure latency DOA of 2.7%.  If pool X has a 0% fee, 10% orphan rate, and 20ms latency, and pool y has 0% fee, 7% orphan rate, and 220ms latency, then pool y is better for you.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 01:59:48 PM

In regard to merge mining (and I apologize if I've missed it in this thread)...how do you pay found merge mined blocks back to your nodes miners? I see that some people manually convert merge mined coins to BTC and then do a "send many" back to p2pool but has anyone figure out something better?

Someone forked proxy pool to accept a second coins payment address in the password field but every public site using it has since shut down. I am concerned that it may not be a viable solution.  Undecided
You haven't missed it.  There's absolutely no support for it, and in the current state of the code, there's no way to even do it.  For example, let's say that I mine on node 1 for some time and find 3 shares.  I move onto node 2.  I find 5 more shares.  I move back to node 1 again, and I find a share that solves a merged coin block.  How does the node pay me?  What about paying other miners who had previously been on the node, but for whatever reason have since moved off?  Besides this, how do you know to which addresses to pay out the coins?

There are a lot of changes that would be required to ever be able to handle paying out merged coins to miners in any way.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
MinermanNC
Legendary

Activity: 2198

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

You haven't missed it.  There's absolutely no support for it, and in the current state of the code, there's no way to even do it.  For example, let's say that I mine on node 1 for some time and find 3 shares.  I move onto node 2.  I find 5 more shares.  I move back to node 1 again, and I find a share that solves a merged coin block.  How does the node pay me?  What about paying other miners who had previously been on the node, but for whatever reason have since moved off?  Besides this, how do you know to which addresses to pay out the coins?

There are a lot of changes that would be required to ever be able to handle paying out merged coins to miners in any way.
Hey jonnybravo0311,

I sent you a PM about p2pool merged mining etc. not sure you can answer. Feel free to post my question in thread here if you think any answers will help you may have.  Cheesy

thx
MMNC

*BTC: 1DiR25SPo84sThzTATr27EZEQZLt6hv6tG
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 04:31:29 PM

Windpath has his node in VA.  http://minefast.coincadence.com.  By the way, p2pool.org is not a scam.  Windpath owns that domain now and is turning it into an informational site.  There is still a node there but unless you feel like donating your hashing power you probably don't want to mine there since it is 100% fee Smiley

So, Windpath's node at minefast is a zero fee node? I pinged it and the times were decent. I see the 100% fee node is also in Ashburn VA same as minefast. And another question, 6 of my machines are Dragons that don't properly execute the stratum protocol. How would I set the difficulty or are they not compatible with P2P?

Thanks

Hey Cheeseater, sent you a Pm also...

I have a public node up 3.5 hours away from you in NC  Cheesy

CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:57:54 PM

Someone forked proxy pool to accept a second coins payment address in the password field but every public site using it has since shut down. I am concerned that it may not be a viable solution.  Undecided
You haven't missed it.  There's absolutely no support for it, and in the current state of the code, there's no way to even do it.  For example, let's say that I mine on node 1 for some time and find 3 shares.  I move onto node 2.  I find 5 more shares.  I move back to node 1 again, and I find a share that solves a merged coin block.  How does the node pay me?  What about paying other miners who had previously been on the node, but for whatever reason have since moved off?  Besides this, how do you know to which addresses to pay out the coins?

Thanks jonnybravo0311.

I had the thought of supporting merge mined coins by having p2pool use additional sharechains (auxShareChain). It would handle payments and combine the hashing power just like the main sharechain. Not a trivial task and beyond my time and skill level.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 06:32:22 PM

Hey jonnybravo0311,

I sent you a PM about p2pool merged mining etc. not sure you can answer. Feel free to post my question in thread here if you think any answers will help you may have.  Cheesy

thx
MMNC
Replied.  Basically the answer is the same as I posted here.  When you enable merged mining on your node, you are effectively solo mining the merged coins using the power of all the miners on your node.  There is no provision there to payout the miners on your node any of the merged coins.

Thanks jonnybravo0311.

I had the thought of supporting merge mined coins by having p2pool use additional sharechains (auxShareChain). It would handle payments and combine the hashing power just like the main sharechain. Not a trivial task and beyond my time and skill level.
There are a ton of changes that would need to be made to try and implement merged-mining payouts.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
PatMan

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 09:45:57 PM

I noticed mmpool are switching over to a p2pool back end - it will be interesting to see how they manage the merge mining payout problem......

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 10:23:09 PM

Hey jonnybravo0311,

thx
MMNC
Replied.  Basically the answer is the same as I posted here.  When you enable merged mining on your node, you are effectively solo mining the merged coins using the power of all the miners on your node.  There is no provision there to payout the miners on your node any of the merged coins.

Thanks jonnybravo0311.

There are a ton of changes that would need to be made to try and implement merged-mining payouts.

Hey I am seeing this issue more clearly now lol

Thanks!
I Pm'd ya

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 10:24:03 PM

I noticed mmpool are switching over to a p2pool back end - it will be interesting to see how they manage the merge mining payout problem......
Yes indeed it will  Cool

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 10:32:35 PM

Unlike typical p2pool nodes, they've already got the infrastructure in place to handle the payouts of merged-mined coins (PPS).  I'm actually quite interested to see how they pull off using p2pool as the backend, instead of their current "traditional" DGM pool model.

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 10:37:44 PM

That explains why the pool is at 4.3 PH/s now.

One good thing about increasing BTC difficulty is p2pool share difficulty decreases to compensate.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
PatMan

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2014, 10:41:44 PM

That explains why the pool is at 4.3 PH/s now.

One good thing about increasing BTC difficulty is p2pool share difficulty decreases to compensate.

M

I'm not sure they're connected yet, still working on it last time I checked, but their hash rate has increased 4x all of a sudden.......

Pages: « 1 ... 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 [532] 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 ... 814 »
  Print  

Jump to: