Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:59:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058407 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
georgem
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 03:55:39 PM

How is this poem at devtome open source?

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=epic_love_poem

Please explain this. Is such a poem open source, because I can go ahead and change words etc?

One would have to contact a lawyer experienced with copyright to know how much of a change one would have to make to a piece of literature to call it their own. My guess is that it could be challenged after a certain percentage of it had been changed. This is not the case with Open Source source code.

It is also not the case with music. If you released a piece of music under Open Source I could go through it changing every 8th note (mean the one after 7 not the actual eighth notes) and then copyright it as my own. Granted it would not be exactly like the original piece but it would be darn close. You could not do this with an Open Source program.

Don't I destroy the work of this poet if I just switch words around as it pleases me?

The original author as well as many of the audience may feel so; yet that is totally subjective and has nothing to do with Open Source. There is no such value judgement in the license.

I can also give people access to the MIDI-Files and all the tracks (if for example my music has 8 tracks, people can download all tracks separately)... So people can remix and mashup my music and potentially (if they know what they are doing) create something new.

That is certainly getting closer yet because of the unique laws surrounding music copyrights tampering can mean you end up owning it and take the finished tampered piece out of Open Source.

The poem on devtome is free too, won't you agree?

Yes, because it would fall under the copyright laws surrounding literature. Yet a modified version of the piece may well not be free and may become proprietary at a certain percentage of change. A lawyer would have to be consulted to confirm that theory.

I think we can all agree that everything that is posted as open source is also always free.

Software without question. Literature at least in it's original form. Yet releasing to public domain would have the same affect.

But not everything that is free is open source. But artists can make their art more or less open source by giving access to all work material. But this is difficult if part of their work material is in their brain.

Therein is the rub. That is probably why the Creative Commons licensing came into existence. It seems to me a more common sense copyright for pieces of art, be they musical or literary.

- Nova

Thanks for your detailled answer.

I agree with all you said, also I share this basic fear about some asshole taking my free open source music, changing it slightly and then go and copyright it.

This shows why copyright is a completely evil troll-like system, and has to disappear from the face of the earth.
Stupid government invention to stifle the progress of human innovation, that's what it is.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
georgem
Legendary

Activity: 1484

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 03:56:28 PM

All I know that is one of the most amazing poems I have ever read!!!  Wink (my poem)    lol

Bravo maestro!  Grin

Bittzy78
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1019

I do not give financial advice .. do your own DD

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 03:59:56 PM

Hey guys,

I've added a "User Payments by Round" section to http://dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com/ which some of you might be interested in.

You put in a name (case sensitive - must match account.csv files) and the round you're interested in and it'll come up with the share tally for that round and the links to all the relevant pages if they exist. From a personal perspective, it's an easy way to see how many shares you can expect towards the end of a round / start of of a payment block without having to trawl through the receiver files manually.

If you just put the round number in without a name, it'll come up with all the shares for that block - missing the bitcoin and devcoin share lists, because they were labelled differently to the others and I'm too tired now to figure out how to include them (Unthinkingbit - any chance you can put a 1-BitcoinShareList or something for the share list peeps in the account files? The idea is just to make it a bit easier to find stats on specific users, and I spent all day on it and I'm tired now so it probably has a few bugs in it still. If you find any tell me what you entered and I'll try to fix. If it stops you from using the site clear your cookie for it and it should let you mess around again.

There wasn't a bounty for this; I just thought it was interesting, although I didn't realize how long It'd take me. Is it too late to propose one for it?  Cheesy

I entered my Devtome username and it worked correctly.

Very cool...

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒█████████▀▀▀▀███████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████▀      ▀██████▀    ▀████▒░░
░░▒██████▄        ▀██▀       ████▒░░
░░▒███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

▄                   ▄   ▄                                                        ▄
        ▀ ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄     ▄  ▄████████▄ ▄   ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██████     ▄▄██████   ████████████████   ▀▀  ██████████▀▀    ██████     ▄ ██████  ████████████████▄▄
  ██████   ███████    ▀ ██████  ██████████████████     ████████████     ███████    ▀▀██████  ████████████████▀▀
  ██████   ████████     ██████  ██████▀    ▀██████    ██████████████    ████████     ██████ ▄██████
  ██████ ▄██████████    ██████  ███████▄▄             ██████  ██████    █████████    ██████ ▀██████
▄ ██████   ██████████   ██████   ███████████▄▄       ██████    ██████   ██████████   ██████  ██████████████
▀ ██████   ███████████  ██████  ▄ ▀█████████████▄    ██████    ██████   ███████████  ██████  ██████████████  ██
  ██████   ██████ █████ ██████  ▀    ▀▀███████████  ██████      ██████  ██████ █████ ██████  ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀
  ██████ ▄ ██████  ███████████            ▀▀███████ ██████████████████  ██████  ███████████  ██████
▄ ██████ ▀ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄     ▄██████████████████████████ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀ ██████   ██████    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██████    ████████████████████████████
  ██████   ██████     ████████▀█▀███████████████████████          ████████████     ████████▀▀█████████████████
  ██████   ██████      ███████    ▀▀███████████▀▀ ██████    ▄▄    ████████████      ███████
           ██████     ▄ ██████           ▄▄                 ▀▀          ██████     ▄ ██████▄▄

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Facebook | Twitter | Discord | Insane Hub
zachofiddle

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 04:28:52 PM

Hey guys,

I've added a "User Payments by Round" section to http://dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com/ which some of you might be interested in.

You put in a name (case sensitive - must match account.csv files) and the round you're interested in and it'll come up with the share tally for that round and the links to all the relevant pages if they exist. From a personal perspective, it's an easy way to see how many shares you can expect towards the end of a round / start of of a payment block without having to trawl through the receiver files manually.

If you just put the round number in without a name, it'll come up with all the shares for that block - missing the bitcoin and devcoin share lists, because they were labelled differently to the others and I'm too tired now to figure out how to include them (Unthinkingbit - any chance you can put a 1-BitcoinShareList or something for the share list peeps in the account files? The idea is just to make it a bit easier to find stats on specific users, and I spent all day on it and I'm tired now so it probably has a few bugs in it still. If you find any tell me what you entered and I'll try to fix. If it stops you from using the site clear your cookie for it and it should let you mess around again.

There wasn't a bounty for this; I just thought it was interesting, although I didn't realize how long It'd take me. Is it too late to propose one for it?  Cheesy

I'm new to Devtome and I don't seem to be on there.  My user name is zachofiddle and I put that in for round 31 and it comes up with 0.0 shares.  Can someone please make sure I am added correctly?  I published a novella onto Devtome a couple of weeks ago so I think I should be in this round.  Dinkleberg was the admin who set up my account.  Thanks.
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 06:41:01 PM

Here's my investment plan, based on arbitrage. http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=my_crypto_investment_plan_-_arbitrage

You get the last 12 share bounty for the investment plan.

Here's my investment plan, based on holding Cryptostocks : here.

You will receive the first 6 share bounty for the investment plan.

There wasn't a bounty for this; I just thought it was interesting, although I didn't realize how long It'd take me. Is it too late to propose one for it?  Cheesy

Nice job, Hunterbunter!  The only thing I found that was missing was that I couldn't find my word counts or bounty information.  (most of the time it showed I got 6/5 of a share for marketing and sometimes rating earnings).  As for a bounty, how about 9 shares?

May I propose a 9 share award for Hunterbunter's site?

EDIT: I figured it out; my name is listed as smeagol and Smeagol on the files!  Smiley
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 06:49:01 PM

I've also posted a business/investment plan on Devtome re. http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty_now#investment_business_plan

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=development_exchange

Feel free to rip into and criticise it.
...You receive 12 shares for your plan.  There is one investment plan bounty remaining for 12 shares, and then the next five will be six shares.
os gets 1/5 of a share for his button.  Congrats on your first bounty, Thanos!
Cheers. There's a potential future (informal) bounty deriving from those shares in case anyone reads it and is interested.

9 shares seems cool for Hunterbunter's work - good job.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 07:44:07 PM

I really like the ability to look up one's shares by name. Good job!

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 07:55:42 PM

Here's my investment plan, based on arbitrage. http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=my_crypto_investment_plan_-_arbitrage

You get the last 12 share bounty for the investment plan.

Here's my investment plan, based on holding Cryptostocks : here.

You will receive the first 6 share bounty for the investment plan.

Nice job, Hunterbunter!  The only thing I found that was missing was that I couldn't find my word counts or bounty information.  (most of the time it showed I got 6/5 of a share for marketing and sometimes rating earnings).  As for a bounty, how about 9 shares?

EDIT: I figured it out; my name is listed as smeagol and Smeagol on the files!  Smiley

Thanks, Smeagol! And I will +1 the idea of giving 9 shares. I like the site, Smiley.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
giftculturewriting

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 08:34:05 PM

Anybody know what's up with altcoincards.com? Was gonna go spend some devcoin and all the internal links 'can't be found.'
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:07:06 PM

Guys, when do you think devcoin could pop, I'm talking $0.10+.

I have been seeing many threads about what coin will pop in 2014 but nobody ever mentions dvc..

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:45:28 PM

Guys, when do you think devcoin could pop, I'm talking $0.10+.

For Devcoin to pop, I think everything should be in place.

1. General acceptance crypto currency by the public
2. Smooth clients (PC, mobile, Glass, whatever) that can hide the cryptic addresses (sending to a name instead a hash key)
3. Sufficient value of DVC to be able to fund big and persuasive projects

It feels like a lottery ticket right now, but I am confident it will lead to something. In the current form or in a different manner.

eeh

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:00:40 PM

I've created an online ticker-type website for devcoin against the dollar for the chart bounty.
Quote from: Devtome
18 shares for a chart which shows the price of devcoins in USD. The chart should show prices from at least 3 months in the past.
http://dvcticker.bugs3.com/

I am wondering how I can automatically create a javascript chart or excel file to record the prices hourly or daily. (e.g. the chart automatically updates each hour based on site data)  I will give 5 shares from the bounty if you can assist me!  (maybe more, too!)  Smiley

Funny timing...I've been playing with Excel and importing various exchange information into them so I can determine a good arb.

One solution:

1. In Excel (I use the most recent Office) click on Data on the toolbar.
2. On the left, click "From Web" and enter the URL of an exchange. I've not been able to import some sites, like Coinex (no DVC, but a good example) and mcxNOW (now dead to DVC). Every other DVC exchange that I know of works fine (cryptsy, crypto-trade, cryptocoincharts, vircurex). Cycle through the prompts you're given.
3. To organize, choose an empty cell and use the following formulas:
 a. To retrieve the ticker symbol "=LEFT(Cryptsy!A15,3)" [LEFT tells Excel to start from the left of the cell in tab "Cryptsy" starting in cell A15 and responds with the first 3 characters.]
 b. To retrieve text from the middle "=MID('BTC-e'!A24,5,3)" [Here I'm reading a mid character, from sheet BTC-e, cell A24, starting with the 5th digit, returning 3 characters. BTC-e data pulls differently than Cryptsy and Coinex.]
 c. To retrieve the last price "=RIGHT(Cryptsy!A15,10)" [Returns the leftmost 10 characters.]

After adding the formulas, cut and paste them into a different tab. I just created tabs for the exchanges and then BTC, LTC, DVC, etc. The reason is that when you refresh your data, anything else on that sheet will be purged. So that's why you see my examples above with tab names instead of just cell names.

After doing the above steps, you can see all the prices in a convenient location representing the different exchanges at a glance. You can set refresh to auto or manual. You *can* save it as an html or pdf output, but it won't keep your formulas.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Just a reminder that I have been working on creating user level works arounds for creating their own tracking mechanisms.
eeh

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:03:08 PM

I would also like to add that the bounty regarding the SMF forum was completed with steps two and three. I was not able to create an internal email system other than PM. But I did create black lists and the ability to create and administer forum admin and mods. Just sayin'.

I felt rather put off after working the issues, adding the appropriate tweeks and then being told that the bounty was not able to be applied because I had skipped over the email system. It seems like with all that work that someone with more experience could come in and adjust the email option.
shakezula

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:13:12 PM

Thanks, Smeagol! And I will +1 the idea of giving 9 shares. I like the site, Smiley.
[/quote]

I agree, this site needs a chunk, what a very cool thing to implement!
weisoq

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:19:07 PM

I would also like to add that the bounty regarding the SMF forum was completed with steps two and three. I was not able to create an internal email system other than PM. But I did create black lists and the ability to create and administer forum admin and mods. Just sayin'.

I felt rather put off after working the issues, adding the appropriate tweeks and then being told that the bounty was not able to be applied because I had skipped over the email system. It seems like with all that work that someone with more experience could come in and adjust the email option.
I think the point was that the email step was the difficult coding part from the onset. Anyway, I'd like to say that although I appreciate there are different perspectives on a forum, Fuzzy did create one http://devcointalk.org/ and it gets interest and posts. A few of us try to field and answer queries but it would be great if more people could help out. I hope there's a conclusion to the issue - whoever and however - but in the interim it seems stupid to be largely ignoring people who come along with interest in devcoin. It exists and surely we can worry about migrating the userbase when there's something to migrate them to.
eeh

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:23:38 PM

I think the point was that the email step was the difficult coding part from the onset. Anyway, I'd like to say that although I appreciate there are different perspectives on a forum, Fuzzy did create one http://devcointalk.org/ and it gets interest and posts. A few of us try to field and answer queries but it would be great if more people could help out. I hope there's a conclusion to the issue - whoever and however - but in the interim it seems stupid to be largely ignoring people who come along with interest in devcoin. It exists and surely we can worry about migrating the userbase when there's something to migrate them to.

It's all good. I'm feeling sorry for myself. Not your problem.
weisoq

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:31:23 PM

I know. You've hit upon an issue others hit already. Hopefully soon to be addressed as I think there will be a lot more interest and posts when the venue flow is sorted.
novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 10:46:29 PM

Not at all, eeh. It seems to me that you have a very valid point. The incentives for programming, to my way of thinking, are vastly outweighed compared to the incentives to add to the DevTomes for example. There is no risk like the one you had taken.

If you are not doing it for the joy of programming then one would be constantly looking over their shoulder for someone, like me, coming up behind you.

If my email wrapper finally meets the criteria of the bounty (working at the moment yet not very pretty) then perhaps we can collaborate on the other aspects of the bounty as well as some sharing in the admin responsibilities. Open Source to me is cooperation not competition and it would not make me feel very good should the rug be pulled out from under you by me.

Let's see if my rug is not pulled out first; then if not we can talk more in PM how to finish things up at that time in a cooperative manner.

- Nova

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
eeh

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:49:43 PM

Not at all, eeh. It seems to me that you have a very valid point. The incentives for programming, to my way of thinking, are vastly outweighed compared to the incentives to add to the DevTomes for example. There is no risk like the one you had taken.

If you are not doing it for the joy of programming then one would be constantly looking over their shoulder for someone, like me, coming up behind you.

If my email wrapper finally meets the criteria of the bounty (working at the moment yet not very pretty) then perhaps we can collaborate on the other aspects of the bounty as well as some sharing in the admin responsibilities. Open Source to me is cooperation not competition and it would not make me feel very good should the rug be pulled out from under you by me.

Let's see if my rug is not pulled out first; then if not we can talk more in PM how to finish things up at that time in a cooperative manner.

- Nova

Thanks for the note. If I get up the courage to reactive the site (which I killed in a fit of pity), then I will happily give you the full goods to the site to do as you will. I just want it to work. Yeah, the bounties are great and make me a little jealous, but hey, I'm mostly a writer. So if you want me to pull a resurrection of the material, I would be happy to hand it over.
weisoq

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 11:27:16 PM

Thanks for the note. If I get up the courage to reactive the site (which I killed in a fit of pity), then I will happily give you the full goods to the site to do as you will. I just want it to work. Yeah, the bounties are great and make me a little jealous, but hey, I'm mostly a writer. So if you want me to pull a resurrection of the material, I would be happy to hand it over.
Good to see the collaboration, but jealous? You earned 120 shares from writing last round, way more than anyone else I believe. You worked for it so that's not me having a dig at you as I've explained before - I'd say that to the fabled queen of sheba - but the incentive structure is generally quite reversed so I don't think pity is in order here.

Novacadian: For some background, there was a forum created in the past that I linked to, but it also tripped at the same problem. However I'm not sure if everybody's been aware of those requirements so should have been clearer if they weren't. I also just want it to work as there's growing interest in devcoin and this thread is hard to navigate so if you guys can make it happen that would be great.
Pages: « 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: