Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:21:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 329 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit & new rank requirements  (Read 166633 times)
pvk444

Activity: 252
Merit: 47

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 07:25:44 AM

You re getting a lot of merits yet still want to change the system, i dont know why you do that.

Of course it needs to be together, for merit and activity to decide ranks. If you suggest that only merit used to decide rank just for fairness issue, it will brings a lot of unfairness if we only use merit as indicator to rank up. Imagine if someone get 1000 merit instantly in a month, he will be a legendary rank by a month, and later all users will  be shouting how unfair it is. You need to see merit as the decider of the rank, and activity as the controller of the rank.

Firstly, this is not about me getting merits or not. It is a simple question of a design principle. And you are the first one who actually gave a reasonable answer (for that I gave you an sM) , although practically, I'm not convinced whether the reason is  of relevance.

Take a Senior Member who just made the rank wanting to become Hero Member. This person needs to accumulate 240 activities and 250 merits.

As long as on average it takes several (likely 10 or more) activities to gain one merit, the activity goal has no relevance.

I agree, that if somebody is getting 1000 merits (or in this case 250 merits) in a month, then the activity count could kick in and become the relevant factor. So theoretically I can see the point. I just fail to see how practical this scenario really is. Furthermore, if somebody truly would contribute so much value that he would get 250 merits for high-quality posts, I would think he would deserve a the rank even without any time limitation (again, this scenerio, IMHO is highly unlikely).

In summary, if the activity goals per rank, is purely meant to put contraints on how quickly one could rank up, then the principle is clear but I doubt it would still have any practical relevance.

And since activity goals, practically speaking remain irrelevant in my opionion, it does not matter to me whether they are included or not, just think it might confuse some others.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mariayaz

Activity: 294
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 07:29:56 AM

I want to understand that if you are new to crypto and don't have much knowledge hence cant share expert views in comments to get merit, but if your activity requirement is fulfilled, cant we get our rank increased by activities alone?

✦✦✦✦✦  ☸ SECURE - FAST - FAIR ☸  ✦✦✦✦✦   (https://www.bitgame.com/?trackCode=BITCOINTALK)
kellog9000

Activity: 224
Merit: 12

Pls Donate Merit :)

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2018, 07:30:09 AM

It's pretty hard to earn merit Sad  Sad

NEW EXCHANGE TRADE NOW!

BTC XMR LTC DOGE pair! https://goo.gl/1jAGw1  BTC XMR LTC DOGE pair!
d3athgu1s3

Activity: 282
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 07:30:43 AM

I guess it's extremely difficult to rank up now. Merit button is not that obvious and I just recently know how valuable Merit is.

Maybe only 10 in 500 users are willing to click the Merit button.

mariayaz

Activity: 294
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 07:34:51 AM
Merited by waqasniaz007 (1)

Most of the senior members are not even commenting on the basic posts by newbies and i didn't see any of them giving merits to new comers. Anyway i hope they realize that it will help new members to learn more and encourage them if they merit their posts.

✦✦✦✦✦  ☸ SECURE - FAST - FAIR ☸  ✦✦✦✦✦   (https://www.bitgame.com/?trackCode=BITCOINTALK)
athanz88

Activity: 476
Merit: 359

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 07:38:56 AM

Firstly, this is not about me getting merits or not. It is a simple question of a design principle. And you are the first one who actually gave a reasonable answer (for that I gave you an sM) , although practically, I'm not convinced whether the reason is  of relevance.

Take a Senior Member who just made the rank wanting to become Hero Member. This person needs to accumulate 240 activities and 250 merits.

As long as on average it takes several (likely 10 or more) activities to gain one merit, the activity goal has no relevance.

I agree, that if somebody is getting 1000 merits (or in this case 250 merits) in a month, then the activity count could kick in and become the relevant factor. So theoretically I can see the point. I just fail to see how practical this scenario really is. Furthermore, if somebody truly would contribute so much value that he would get 250 merits for high-quality posts, I would think he would deserve a the rank even without any time limitation (again, this scenerio, IMHO is highly unlikely).

In summary, if the activity goals per rank, is purely meant to put contraints on how quickly one could rank up, then the principle is clear but I doubt it would still have any practical relevance.

And since activity goals, practically speaking remain irrelevant in my opionion, it does not matter to me whether they are included or not, just think it might confuse some others.

I get what you said, but there is still case and chance that merit can be abused or spammed thus would create a lot of high rank account in a short time, and later there will be a lot of account being sold and all of the newcomer who wants to "only" get money from forum will buy it, and then spamming and "low" quality posting activity wont be reduced at all. So without activity, the purpose of merit to get rid of spammer and "low" quality poster wont be achieved at all.
jimmywh

Activity: 140
Merit: 22

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 07:49:29 AM
Merited by Biomech (1)

I have already said my peace several times in this thread. I see myself coming back again and again though, which must mean that I am having a truce rather than peace with it. I keep telling myself that no known to man system is perfect, but that we can get pretty close if we share opinions based on previous and present experiences and act on them. It is, however, becoming clearer and clearer to me that this system with its upsides and flaws isn't going to change, but that it is my attitude towards it that has to.

Whenever I come back to this thread - and I will  Cheesy - it will be to share constructive thoughts and criticism on how to deal with the merit system, rather than thoughts on how to change it. You should too as anything else is a waste of energy.
Andrey123

Activity: 1750
Merit: 305

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 08:14:36 AM

Hi people!
I have enough activity to change my rank.
But now we need to have 500 Merit.

I have no idea where to get it. Where I write the answers in the topics, there are many beginners.
Now and for 10 years you can not get this amount.
Very disappointing.
Why do you need to rank up? Because of the campaigns? Is that the only reason why you are here? Instead of being disappointed you should be happy because when this merit system was implemented you are already at Sr rank unlike those who are stuck at lower rank and they have no choice but work with the system.

Companies and generosity have nothing to do with it at all.
And the goal is not to get all the tokens.
A new rank is similar to a reward for some achievement, it's just nice that you can get a little joy  Cheesy

Hello! Voluntary donations that will go towards the development of my coin.
34bwEhH3GMx6swYXt2NBfFbYGkdTcaWtXz....BTC

ronnylov

Activity: 276
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 08:30:18 AM
Merited by Biomech (1)

I was a bit dissapointed when I at last got activity level high enough to be full member but then they had just added this merit system so now it feels impossible to become a full member. How can I actually get more merit? I don't Think anyone ever will give me that for free...

Can I get merit by joining Bounty Campaigns? Or should a make tutorials or something else? Don't understand what is required to earn merit?

★★★ LETHEAN ★★★
BLOCKCHAIN BACKED DECENTRALISED P2P VPN
MediumTwitterDiscordRedditFacebookWhitepaperBitcointalk Ann
Ubay82

Activity: 196
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 08:32:34 AM

In addition to activity, everyone now has a merit score, and you need both a certain activity level and a certain merit score in order to reach higher member ranks. The required scores are:

RankRequired activityRequired merit
Brand new00
Newbie10
Jr Member300
Member6010
Full Member120100
Sr. Member240250
Hero Member480500
LegendaryRandom in the range 775-10301000

You get merit points when someone sends you some for one of your posts. Additionally, when someone sends you merit points, half of those points can be sent by you to other people.

Certain users are designated as "merit sources". They can create new merit out of nothing, up to a limited number per month (which differs per source). I will not be posting a definitive list of merit sources (so that people don't bug them too much), though you'll soon figure out who they are if you pay attention.

There is currently no such thing as a "demerit". I'm hoping that the positive merits alone will be fine. I could add demerits pretty easily later on if necessary, though.

I'm hoping that this system will increase post quality by:
 - Forcing people to post high-quality stuff in order to rank up. If you just post garbage, you will never get even 1 merit point, and you will therefore never be able to put links in your signature, etc.
 - Highlighting good posts with the "Merited by" line.

While we will not be directly moderating this, I encourage people to give merit to posts that are objectively high-quality, not just posts that you agree with.

Do not beg for merit excessively.

Useful infographics

Forum users have helpfully created some infographics to explain the merit system:
paxmao's infographic
ibminer's infographic
8Habits's infographic
JetSet11's infographic
zentdex's infographic
alia_armelle's infographic

If you want to be a merit source:

1. Be a somewhat established member.
 2. Collect TEN posts written in the last couple of months by other people that have not received nearly enough merit for how good they are, and post quotes for them all in a new Meta thread. The point of this is to demonstrate your ability to give out merit usefully.
 3. We will take a look at your history and maybe make you a source.

I am especially eager to have merit sources in sub-communities such as the local sections.

Trivia:

For current members, your initial merit score is equal to the minimum required to your rank. Of that, a certain amount (less than the usual half) is spendable. The spendable amount was calculated based on your current rank and the number of activity points you earned in the last year. A Legendary member who hasn't posted in the last year would still be Legendary, but would not have any spendable merit.

If someone sends you 1 merit, the 0.5 sMerit is not wasted; it is just not shown until you get another merit point.

There are stats here, and you can find someone's merit summary by clicking the "merit" link on their profile.

a rule that can minimize the bad post where Just Want to raise the rank without thinking of the feasibility of the post. so from now on I am motivated to make useful post
jimmywh

Activity: 140
Merit: 22

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 09:09:46 AM
Merited by InvoKing (1)

I was a bit dissapointed when I at last got activity level high enough to be full member but then they had just added this merit system so now it feels impossible to become a full member. How can I actually get more merit? I don't Think anyone ever will give me that for free...

Can I get merit by joining Bounty Campaigns? Or should a make tutorials or something else? Don't understand what is required to earn merit?

You, Sir, are a pathetic waste of oxygen.

Read.. back..!
romanovst

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:33:36 AM

1) You get merit points for making quality posts here. You can check posts getting good merit points here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats. Learn and post accordingly.

2) You should not try buying merit points as it will result in negative trust.

3) There are more than 141 pages of content related to merit system. If you read it carefully, you will not need  a tutorial.

All the best. 
shushanika

Activity: 102

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:30:06 AM

I have already said my peace several times in this thread. I see myself coming back again and again though, which must mean that I am having a truce rather than peace with it. I keep telling myself that no known to man system is perfect, but that we can get pretty close if we share opinions based on previous and present experiences and act on them. It is, however, becoming clearer and clearer to me that this system with its upsides and flaws isn't going to change, but that it is my attitude towards it that has to.

Whenever I come back to this thread - and I will  Cheesy - it will be to share constructive thoughts and criticism on how to deal with the merit system, rather than thoughts on how to change it. You should too as anything else is a waste of energy.

I also think that members should realize by now that this new merit system is not going to be reversed. We have seen the admin being open to changes and that should be sufficient.
Thirio

Activity: 350
Merit: 47

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 02:39:51 PM

It's pretty hard to earn merit Sad  Sad
No pain no gain buddy  Tongue
-doubleU-
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1307

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 04:29:14 PM

I think in a long-term it might be a good think with the Merit system improving posts quality indeed. But i think it need some months to etablished the Merit system in the forum that any member use the merit button when he read a good post or a helpful answer for his question. But now im so frustrated that i having the activity to be full member and have some restriction from the Member status like cant wear a Avatar. The first distribution from Merits to the member Rank have should been tied to the activity value - so i have only 10 Merit short before i reached the activity to be a Full Member.
I see some posts in the last week from Jr. Member and Member wich answered to Questions from Hero or Sr. Member without a "Thank You" or a Merit. The Merit System must come on in the head from the "BIG" Member that the forum not becomes elitist and the user base is balanced. We have a long way before us...but i hope we are on a good way with this new forum function.

███████████████████████████
█████████▀▄▄▄▄▄██▀▀████████
█████▀▄█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀█████
████ █▀▄███████████▄▀██████
███▄█ ███████▀ ██████ █ ███
██▀█ ███  ▀▀█  ▀██████ █ ██
██ █ ████▄▄      ▀▀▀██ █ ██
██ █ █████▌        ▄██ ████
███▄█ █████▄▄   ▄▄███ █▀███
████▀█▄▀█████▌  ▀██▀▄█ ████
█████▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀   ▄▄█▀▄█████
████████▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████████████████████
█ █▀█ █▀█ █▀█  ▄  ▄▀▀ █   ▄▀█ ▀█▀ ▄▀▀ ▄███▄
█ █▀█ █ █ █ █ ▀█▀ ▀▀█ █   █ █  █  ▀▀█ ▀███▀
█ █▄█ █▄█ █▄█     ▄▄▀ ▀▄▄ █▄▀  █  ▄▄▀   
                                        █
████████████████████████████████████ 
███▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▀▀███ 
█▀▄██▀███▄▀██▀▄██▀███▄▀██▀▄██▀███▄▀████▄
█ █ ▀ ▀███ ██ █ ▀ ▀███ ██ █ ▀ ▀███ █████
█ ██    ▄█ ██ ██    ▄█ ██ ██    ▄█ █████
█▄▀██  ▀█▀▄██▄▀██  ▀█▀▄██▄▀██  ▀█▀▄████▀
███▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄▄▄▄▄▄███
████████████████████████████████████
▄███▄
▄███████▄
▄███████████▄
▐█████████████▌
▄█  █████████
▄█████████  ████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▀██████  ███████████▀
▄█  ██████████  ████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▀███████████████████████▀
███████
█████████████████████
..PLAY NOW..
       ▄▄▄▄ ▄▄█████▄
     ████████████████
 ▄▄▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████▄▄
▀█████████████████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ▄█▄      ██
    ▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄          ▄▄
    ▄▄▄███▄▄▄    ▄ ▄ ▄ ▀▀
     ▀ ▄█▄ ▀  ▀▄█ ▀█▀ █▄▀
    ▄▄  ▀     ▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
    ▀▀        ▀██▀▀█▀▀██▀
         ██   ▀ ▀▄▀█▀▄▀ ▀
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 04:51:05 PM

Merit is somewhat subjective, but well constructed posts and things that are helpful or interesting are good places to start.

The fact that you are aware you won't get it "for free" struck me as positive. Nothing in life is really free, and never will be. So that earned you one merit in itself. Bounty campaigns are just about money. They are actually part of the problem this is supposed to address. I have severe doubts as to its efficacy, but it's at least a step in the right direction. As to tutorials and things of that nature, while I obviously can only speak for myself, I would find those worthy of merit if they are both useful and well written.

ronnylov

Activity: 276

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 05:00:49 PM

Merit is somewhat subjective, but well constructed posts and things that are helpful or interesting are good places to start.

The fact that you are aware you won't get it "for free" struck me as positive. Nothing in life is really free, and never will be. So that earned you one merit in itself. Bounty campaigns are just about money. They are actually part of the problem this is supposed to address. I have severe doubts as to its efficacy, but it's at least a step in the right direction. As to tutorials and things of that nature, while I obviously can only speak for myself, I would find those worthy of merit if they are both useful and well written.

Thanks a lot! No I don't expect to get it for free and I don't mean to pay Money to get it. I want to write useful posts but was not sure what kind of posts people like. I am mostly into mining and I am a Linux user so maybe I can write some guide how to mine in Linux and put in altcoin mining section. Maybe this system actually works and make this forum a better place.

★★★ LETHEAN ★★★
BLOCKCHAIN BACKED DECENTRALISED P2P VPN
MediumTwitterDiscordRedditFacebookWhitepaperBitcointalk Ann
bobrova

Activity: 84
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 05:07:03 PM

Thanks a lot! No I don't expect to get it for free and I don't mean to pay Money to get it. I want to write useful posts but was not sure what kind of posts people like. I am mostly into mining and I am a Linux user so maybe I can write some guide how to mine in Linux and put in altcoin mining section. Maybe this system actually works and make this forum a better place.

You can check this page https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats to know which posts are getting more merits. The guides you mentioned should get you merits if they are unique and interesting.
topkhai

Activity: 351
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 06:01:11 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2018, 06:37:16 PM by topkhai

I fully do not understand this merit system, Please let me know whether newbie or jr member can give merit to any one?
yeah, if sMerit is enough at least 1 sMerit
every  x1 Merit received a newbie or jr member then they will get 0.5 sMerit
giving merit to others must have at least 2 merits = 1 sMerit to given
1 Merit = 0.5 sMerit
2 Merit = 1    sMerit
3 Merit = 1.5 sMerit
4 Merit = 2    sMerit
etc

Hi,
I can't find sMerit on CoinMarketCap.

When do you think it will be listed ?  Grin
I think you've been through a difficult day,
you need a party, boy !
sitnikov

Activity: 98
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 06:03:55 PM

How do we get merits?
By making quality posts on the forum.

can newbies give merits?
Yes, they can give merits if they have. For instance, if you get 2 merit points, you will have  half of it (1 smerit). You can send that 1 smerit to another member for his quality post.

⚫  ContractNet.com  ⚫
At the intersection of Blockchain, IOT & SMART CONTRACTS
████████████ [ JOIN ICO ● 10th MARCH ] ████████████
Pages: « 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 329 »
  Print  

Jump to: