Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:45:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412869 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 06:11:13 AM

and, could we just push the merged ming patches into mainline bitcoin tree, that resolve this problem ultimately ?

Well that might get political.

Basically it would be adding code into mainline bitcoin that it does not use, and its own usability will rely on that code sucessfully not being run when the code is running as actual bitcoin.

(Because the support for merged mining is a forking change: the blocks are different, so it requires the majority of the clients or miners or somesuch to all be using that new type of block some some day when it actually turns on.)

Basically you'd need to have an "#if BITCOIN" clause preventing actual use of merged mining if running actual bitcoin, in the same place where you would normally have "#if MERGED_MINING_NOW_ACTIVE" clauses in coins that actually do have merged mining activated as of some block-number.

Easier changes to get them to accept would be all the cosmetic stuff like putting all the names and icons and magic numbers used for handshaking and default port numbers and so on that distinguish one coin from another all into one place so it is easy to change the name and port and so on from one coin to another.

This is why I keep suggesting there should be a "bitcoin with ONLY the merged mining patches applied" repo maintained; all merged mined coins, even if they switch the hashing algo to scrypt, would benefit from such a repo.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
metazilla

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:29:10 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2013, 07:27:08 AM by metazilla

I can confirm that twobits Windows build works on my machine (running Windows XP). I've been running it for 15 minutes and have downloaded 50000 blocks (so much faster than downloading the bitcoin blockchain!) and it looks like the receiver files are all downloading smoothly as well. As someone who had trouble getting the previous builds to work, this is pretty awesome. Smiley

(Also, thank you Unthinkingbit for the coins. Just doing whatever I can to get involved.)

Edit:

I successfully downloaded all the blocks, and was able to transfer coins from my devda wallet to the new wallet. Oddly enough, I got a PHP error when I made the transaction on devda, and now it says my balance is -1 coins, but the transaction still went through. Cheesy

Edit2:

Unthinkingbit, I changed my DVC address on devtome (now that I got my wallet working I'd rather not rely on a web wallet), will the system update my address automatically?

Unthinkingbit (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:29:33 AM

First daily 4-26-13 run:

Thanks for running it.

I suggest a 1/5 of a share maintenance bounty as long as Termhn posts the daily runs on a web site. There won't be a bounty for a second site, because running devtome.py downloads most of the site, costing bandwidth.

By the way, Termhn if possible please run devtome.py at GMT 7 AM or so, when English traffic on the internet is low. By running it at low traffic time, you don't increase the peak load on the server, also you're less likely to get blank pages that might appear when the server is at high load. If you get a blank page, devtome will print a warning, and can not add that article to the total.

emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:41:59 AM

First daily 4-26-13 run:

Thanks for running it.

I suggest a 1/5 of a share maintenance bounty as long as Termhn posts the daily runs on a web site. There won't be a bounty for a second site, because running devtome.py downloads most of the site, costing bandwidth.

By the way, Termhn if possible please run devtome.py at GMT 7 AM or so, when English traffic on the internet is low. By running it at low traffic time, you don't increase the peak load on the server, also you're less likely to get blank pages that might appear when the server is at high load. If you get a blank page, devtome will print a warning, and can not add that article to the total.

Yes, better post on a web site but not on this thread. If he could not find suitable site, I could post it on my d.evco.in page. And I don't need the bounty since it is fairy simple to write a cron script to do this(I have already the bounty for maintain the block exploer on the same server)

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:43:38 AM

As it happens, because I was testing the script this week, there is the output from a run on April 24:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/devtome_23.csv

If anyone is wondering how many Devcoins they will earn (as of April 24th), go to the link in the quote above. Find the LAST number in the row next to your name, and multiply it by 180,000,000...

Indeed the last column is the payout column. However the number of shares is not in devtome_23.csv, it is calculated by account.py:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin#generating_the_files

there was also a test run of account.py, although it didn't have all the marketing earnings because I was testing marketing.py at the time, it is at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/receiver_summary.txt

and there were 201 lines, with all the marketing earnings it would have been about 210 lines, roughly 180,000,000 dvc / 210 =~ 860,000 dvc. There will probably be at least another 150 shares earned in the next couple of weeks.

Ran it just a couple minutes ago Grin

Nice. Somehow I have 3 less shares on the more current run, but also 1,000,000 extra DVC. So, works out Cheesy

If the Texas rulings were in your invoice at the time of the April 24 run, then since they're not there anymore, that would explain the reduction.

Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:47:37 AM

Edit2:

Unthinkingbit, I changed my DVC address on devtome (now that I got my wallet working I'd rather not rely on a web wallet), will the system update my address automatically?

No, I paste the address in the files. Please check that they are updated at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/bounty_23.csv
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/devtome_23.csv
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/marketing_publishers.csv

FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 08:48:41 AM

Devcoin is growin Smiley

And so is my list of things to do for it. Smiley Devcoin is about to not only have more things show up  when you search it on Google, but it will show up on accident when you search for other things Smiley

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:23:05 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2013, 09:38:49 AM by weisoq

So as of April 24th, 1000ish words is worth 500,065.2 DVC

Will this be the lowest payout ever???

The less people get paid, the more valuable they will be Smiley

And traffic is going to get CRAZIER soon Smiley
The payout is a function of how much is submitted. In this case a lot of stuff by few people.

I think it may make more sense to limit the total share per person from this month inclusive (and to make clear I'm not being biased, this month includes me. edit: actually I suppose that could hypothetically increase my share so could be construed as biased, but that's not the intent), something like X% for new contributors in their first month, X*2 (or X/2) in their second month etc (dependant on how and whether suubmissions grow/decline; those particular funtions are just plucked from the air to give an idea).

In this way it (1) doesn't penalise those who built up, maintain, inform and have already been regularly contributing to devtome and devcoin for some time, (2) better encourages new interesting articles, rather than just words, as the prospective new contributor share remains higher going forward (3) continues to encourage existing contributors to do so sooner rather than later (4) is likely to keep the standard higher (5) adheres better to the spirit of the process.

Just a thought.
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:58:34 AM

The payout is a function of how much is submitted. In this case a lot of stuff by few people.

I think it may make more sense to limit the total share per person from this month inclusive (and to make clear I'm not being biased, this month includes me. edit: actually I suppose that could hypothetically increase my share so could be construed as biased, but that's not the intent), something like X% for new contributors in their first month, X*2 (or X/2) in their second month etc (dependant on how and whether suubmissions grow/decline; those particular funtions are just plucked from the air to give an idea).

In this way it (1) doesn't penalise those who built up, maintain, inform and have already been regularly contributing to devtome and devcoin for some time, (2) better encourages new interesting articles, rather than just words, as the prospective new contributor share remains higher going forward (3) continues to encourage existing contributors to do so sooner rather than later (4) is likely to keep the standard higher (5) adheres better to the spirit of the process.

Just a thought.

I haven't put my writing up for this round yet - but regardless I don't think it's fair to change the rules halfway through a round. People will lose faith in Devcoin if the rules are changed willy nilly. Whatever happens it should take place at the start of a round - not near the end. Personally I don't see a problem with the current system.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 03:14:53 PM

Just a thought.

I think doing it based on contribution is best. I didn't seek out devtome, I was invited. So if they started cutting shares, I would feel a little betrayed.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 03:17:03 PM

Just a thought.

I haven't put my writing up for this round yet - but regardless I don't think it's fair to change the rules halfway through a round. People will lose faith in Devcoin if the rules are changed willy nilly. Whatever happens it should take place at the start of a round - not near the end. Personally I don't see a problem with the current system.

Agreed, shares are still worth over 100$ at the moment.

I can see this model working even when shares drop to $5 each.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 03:38:59 PM

87234/89000 Blocks

termhn

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 04:14:46 PM

First daily 4-26-13 run:

Thanks for running it.

I can run it at GMT 5 AM... That's the latest though. And I will put it on a website in the future wher people can see latest results just by going to that page.
Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:36:11 PM

Just a thought.

The payout will continue to be in proportion to accomplishment for two reasons:

1) It's fair.

2) If it was limited, writers would make multiple accounts to get around a limit.

There is the issue that articles vary in quality. The payout is currently by the word because that is all we can measure. Eventually we'll get page view information for each article, then besides paying advertising in proportion to page views, there will also be a revenue boost in proportion to page views. The revenue boost would be from generation; because this would dilute generation shares the word earnings would be reduced in proportion.

For example, if the revenue boost was half of the writers earnings, to compensate, word earnings would be a generation share per 2,000 words. The overall payout would be half a generation share per thousand words for articles without views, one generation share per thousand words for articles with an average number of views per word, and more than a generation share per thousand words for articles with more than an average number of views per word. In order to avoid as much as possible giving writers with few page views a negative payout, the revenue boost would be phased in slowly, probably around 1%/month until it reaches 50% of the total.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 07:50:47 PM

Just a thought.

1) It's fair.

2) If it was limited, writers would make multiple accounts to get around a limit.

There is the issue that articles vary in quality. The payout is currently by the word because that is all we can measure. Eventually we'll get page view information for each article, then besides paying advertising in proportion to page views, there will also be a revenue boost in proportion to page views. The revenue boost would be from generation; because this would dilute generation shares the word earnings would be reduced in proportion.

For example, if the revenue boost was half of the writers earnings, to compensate, word earnings would be a generation share per 2,000 words. The overall payout would be half a generation share per thousand words for articles without views, one generation share per thousand words for articles with an average number of views per word, and more than a generation share per thousand words for articles with more than an average number of views per word. In order to avoid as much as possible giving writers with few page views a negative payout, the revenue boost would be phased in slowly, probably around 1%/month until it reaches 50% of the total.

So basically, if we share links to the pages we create, we can earn money even if we get writers block one day?

Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:55:09 PM

So basically, if we share links to the pages we create, we can earn money even if we get writers block one day?

As long as people are interested in those pages, yes.

FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 08:02:33 PM

Just wanted to draw your attention to my thread / new business that I have started here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=189317.0

I will always have stock and if it successful then might even post a listing on cryptostocks etc so not sure if this qualifies for the non mining business https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg1259997;topicseen#msg1259997

but once you get your devcoins, now you have something else to spend them on Smiley

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:15:53 PM

http://btcticker.appspot.com/

I request a bounty for a clone of this application for devcoin. Stipulations would include open source being posted to devtome.com.

Then additional shares can be given for each additional exchange that is added (one time). Additionally, I would like to see all of the coin options added to this site in time if possible (they should pull the same API information for each site) but since this would require a bit more work, it should also have another additional set of shares assigned for this function. But, at least devcoin should be present to receive any part of the bounty. I also suggest a recurring share for the hosting of the site if it is outside of the google apps hosting. This will help to facilitate further sales threads and sites built around devcoin for payments, or other alt currencies.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:17:33 PM

1) It's fair.

Fair enough, just thinking about the spirit of what metazilla was referring to a few pages back and maintaining the interest of prospective contributors.
Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:23:38 PM

Just wanted to draw your attention to my thread / new business that I have started here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=189317.0

I will always have stock and if it successful then might even post a listing on cryptostocks etc so not sure if this qualifies for the non mining business https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg1259997;topicseen#msg1259997

but once you get your devcoins, now you have something else to spend them on Smiley

The requirement is pretty easy, you just have to sell one dollar worth of something:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg649844#msg649844

Pages: « 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: