Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:36:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412864 times)
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:21:55 PM

The most prolific author over the last month was Lawyer:
http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:lawyer

who wrote 76,832 words:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/devtome_10001.csv

so he gets the tablet:
https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/topic,2702.msg19779.html#msg19779

the lotto ranges for the remaining writers are at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/lotto.csv

the next megamillions draw:
http://www.megamillions.com/numbers/

will be on Tuesday night, so the lottery winner will be declared on Wednesday.

CONGRATS!  Please pm me your delivery address when you get a chance.

Ummm not sure what you mean this was all on the 4th it looks like.

Was it supposed to be based on the round then? If so, it still has time left...

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:31:01 PM

Nope, you would have to read the posts that  unthinkingbit linked, but....the contest was run only by me, just for the month and had nothing to do with the round.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:35:03 PM

Nope, you would have to read the posts that  unthinkingbit linked, but....the contest was run only by me, just for the month and had nothing to do with the round.

Ah, so I was right on that. Thanks! Smiley

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 08:06:45 PM

The most prolific author over the last month was Lawyer:
http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:lawyer

who wrote 76,832 words:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/devtome_10001.csv

so he gets the tablet:
https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/topic,2702.msg19779.html#msg19779

the lotto ranges for the remaining writers are at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/lotto.csv

the next megamillions draw:
http://www.megamillions.com/numbers/

will be on Tuesday night, so the lottery winner will be declared on Wednesday.

CONGRATS!  Please pm me your delivery address when you get a chance.

Ummm not sure what you mean this was all on the 4th it looks like.

Not sure if you're talking to me, Jaisn.  I said about a week early cause I'm also counting the remaining 3-4 days we still have left.

I didn't know initially it was a may contest only which is why I asked why a winner was announced prematurely.  It's your contest, your money, thanks a lot for being generous and thoughtful.  This is the kind of generosity that brings a lot of awareness to devcoin. 

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 08:14:56 PM

Nope, you would have to read the posts that  unthinkingbit linked, but....the contest was run only by me, just for the month and had nothing to do with the round.

Ah, so I was right on that. Thanks! Smiley

Ranlo, you mind if I ask:  are you a writer or did you have articles pre-written from other sites perhaps?  Just curious cause I worked really hard and I'm far from 80K.  Some nights I wrote straight thru until the next evening.  Maybe that's why I burned out, I hit it too hard and furious.  Lol.

I was just so excited to have found a way to earn crypto-coins.  I was posting page long posts on here until I got called a troll.  Ahaaaaa.

At any rate, at roughly $2 per hour now I don't know how much writing I'm gonna do.  I'll still write some but it's hard when I know I can allocate my time for things much more valuable, either monetarily or family-wise.  But I really believe in this thing, I'm a long term holder - i will not sell any of my crypto-coins, and I really want devcoin to succeed so I'll write even if it's just a charitable thing but I don't know if I'll have the chutzpah to write 18 hours straight when the financial reward is no longer there.  

But with Devtome and Devcoin's skyrocketing popularity, on a global scale now, I don't expect this type of reaction to have a significant impact on new content going forward.  It will definitely be an interesting case study to see how things develop over the next few months.  We definitely need a catalyst in the short run to help drive the price of Devcoin back up - to mitigate the sharp drop in share value.  Maybe some big development such as a huge investment by Wallstreet or a big name such as a Soros.  I' convinced it's coming and soon - 3-12 months.

Good luck, bro.

metazilla

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 03:42:58 AM

Not sure what you're talking about with the $2 an hour thing Vlad. I got 17.2 shares last round = ~6179641dvc = ~7.6btc = ~$823 at current exchange rates. Now, I posted some stuff I had written in the past, and I also got some shares for programming work (which actually took more time than writing), but assuming I had got those shares for writing 17k words, that'd mean I had spent over 400hrs, at ~40 words an hour. I definitely write faster than that!

I think if you're writing about something you know a lot about, 400 words an hour is a reasonable pace, which would give an estimate of about $20 an hour. Not bad for freelance writing. Granted, some people might write slower than that, and the exchange rate is crashing a bit, but it seems to me writing is still worth your while. I haven't had as much time this round to write (finals week in my university right now), and it is a bit discouraging seeing how many words the top writers have contributed, while I've only written about 4000. But even if there are twice as many shares that is still about $100! And I don't know about your situation, but as a college student, an extra $100 a month is very helpful. Smiley

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 03:45:35 AM

Not sure what you're talking about with the $2 an hour thing Vlad. I got 17.2 shares last round = ~6179641dvc = ~7.6btc = ~$823 at current exchange rates. Now, I posted some stuff I had written in the past, and I also got some shares for programming work (which actually took more time than writing), but assuming I had got those shares for writing 17k words, that'd mean I had spent over 400hrs, at ~40 words an hour. I definitely write faster than that!

I think if you're writing about something you know a lot about, 400 words an hour is a reasonable pace, which would give an estimate of about $20 an hour. Not bad for freelance writing. Granted, some people might write slower than that, and the exchange rate is crashing a bit, but it seems to me writing is still worth your while. I haven't had as much time this round to write (finals week in my university right now), and it is a bit discouraging seeing how many words the top writers have contributed, while I've only written about 4000. But even if there are twice as many shares that is still about $100! And I don't know about your situation, but as a college student, an extra $100 a month is very helpful. Smiley

That was last round. This current round is less than half that, and is expected to keep getting lower and lower.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 04:27:09 AM
Last edit: June 08, 2013, 04:44:43 AM by Vlad2Vlad

You're talking about yesterday.  Round 24 and soon 25 has gone down by at least a factor of 4 if not more.  First, the value of devcoins has been cut by roughly 60% and then the amount of coins per share is down by at least 60%.  That's closer to a factor of 5 or 6 than a factor of 4 so take your $20 per hour and we're closer to my $2 per hour neighborhood than your $20.

Being a student is one thing. If you were a skilled computer programmer would you work for $5 per hour, $3, $2 per hour?  That's the neighborhood we're in.

I'm not complaining, nobody is forcing anyone to contribute.  I was simply pointing out a statistic, a fact and I mentioned that it may not make any difference as there may be lots of people, like students or trained professionals in 3rd world countries who think $20 per day is a good deal.

Like I said earlier, I'm excited and curious to see what happens in round 5 because unlike round 22, I see much wider and deeper awareness for round 25.  Should be interesting.

Good luck!

Edit:  here's an easy way to figure out the change:  last round we got 359,000 per share and I actually paid .00041 cash for devcoin on vircurex.

So for last round we got 359,000 X $.00041 = $147

This round I'm guessing a share will be roughly 140,000 coins times $.00020 (the actual bid is lower than this right now) so then your total per share this round is $28.  And it keeps heading lower for some reason.

So from $147 to $28 it's pretty much what I guessed, a change by a factor of 5, which means this round and maybe even the next is worth 20% (1/5) compared to last round so last round is not a good gauge to use for time value or opportunity cost.

I think devcoin will bottom soon and eventually go up on increased global demand and and/or positive catalysts, but I doubt we'll ever see large shares like last round (359K) or especially the round prior to that (1.41 million).

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 04:38:32 AM

On the bright side, possibly if the pay doesn't seem great people will not be as eager to write just for the sake of writing / for the sake of the money. I know I don't feel like oh gosh I have to write something else I am missing out on potential income, instead I now am more likely to only bother to write something when there is something that needs to be there. Instead of perusing my lists of pages looking for more gaps I can fill in I am now off doing other things and will probably only be posting to the devtome when something comes up that should have a devtome page about it.

For example right now I am looking into setting up an OpenSimulator server; if I get that running and some regions set up in it then maybe I will make a devtome entry about one or more of the regions.

Whereas when each share was a lot of money it constantly nagged at the back of my mind that really I should just try to think of something to write in devtome because that would pay better than whatever else I might consider doing with my time.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:43:41 AM

On the bright side, possibly if the pay doesn't seem great people will not be as eager to write just for the sake of writing / for the sake of the money. I know I don't feel like oh gosh I have to write something else I am missing out on potential income, instead I now am more likely to only bother to write something when there is something that needs to be there. Instead of perusing my lists of pages looking for more gaps I can fill in I am now off doing other things and will probably only be posting to the devtome when something comes up that should have a devtome page about it.

For example right now I am looking into setting up an OpenSimulator server; if I get that running and some regions set up in it then maybe I will make a devtome entry about one or more of the regions.

Whereas when each share was a lot of money it constantly nagged at the back of my mind that really I should just try to think of something to write in devtome because that would pay better than whatever else I might consider doing with my time.

-MarkM-

This is an excellent point as well, Smiley. My only fear is quality is going to drop considerably. There really needs to be someone (or a group) there to judge that.

Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:44:08 AM

I gotta correct myself.  I said a few days ago there were a few people with 70+K words so I asked why a winner was announced a few days early.  I looked at the distribution again and the people who show 70K or more that's actually their total.  One has to look at the last column (Payout) to see the total from this round or round 24.  And in that case there's nobody even close to the 77K "Lawyer" did in which case I see why the results were announced.  

Man, it was much harder than I thought to do a significant amount of writing without burning out.  Wish I could program, that would be a lot more fun.

Congrats to Lawyer, 77K is a crazy amount to write.  I nearly broke myself and I got significantly less than that. lol.

I have over 80k registered for this round...

Are you talking about round 24?  I didn't see anybody with 80K. If you do then give a heads up cause you're probably in first place.  I think first round ends at 93,300.  That's what I've seen on here from reputable posters.

Make sure you're reading the latest list:

http://d.evco.in/charity/devtome_earnings_24.csv

Also, the post just before mine has the right numbers.

Thanks for the updated list.  I remember like 3 or 4 days ago Jaisn asking for "Lawyer's" address to ship him the first place prize which was a tablet.  I'm not sure why this was done almost a week prematurely.  Perhaps cause there was nobody close to "Lawyer" with such little time left.  

I hope you didn't lose your prize.  Congrats on 80K, that's really a hard thing to do, unless you have pre-existing articles already.  It's good for devcoin to see so much more content flowing out.  I wonder how much a share will be worth in round 24?  My gut feeling is around 145,000 coins as opposed to 359,000 for round 23 and around 1.41 million for round 22.  I'm also curious to see how many people continue contributing with both, the value of devcoin and the actual coins per share, having plummeted this past round.  

Cause at this point it's like working for about $2 per hour, unless of course, you have articles which you have already written for other sites.  And I think going forward as we get more and more third wolrd country contributors from places like Asia, India and Eastern Europe, it should only get more and more competitive.  That's great for devcoin but not so good if you're trying to earn and you have to give up a more profitable opportunity cost when compared to the current payout of devcoin. I'm banking on the idea that devcoin will reach much higher levels eventually.  

Good luck!

I don't think the long term prospects of Devcoin are very bright. The more people who write, the less pie there is for writers? That means it's a zero sum game. Why are people actually trying to attract more writers if the case is that quality will go down and so will the pay? It doesn't seem to be good for Devcoin either.

Long term the quality of articles of Devcoin will begin to reflect what writers are paid to write them.
Luckybit

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:45:33 AM
Last edit: June 08, 2013, 04:58:12 AM by Luckybit

-MarkM-

This is an excellent point as well, Smiley. My only fear is quality is going to drop considerably. There really needs to be someone (or a group) there to judge that.

The way to keep quality from dropping is to actually pay people enough money to care about quality. $50 an article is almost in that range, anything less and people will stop caring and of course more than $50 and people will care much more. It's a matter of the pay structure.

They need to adjust the pay structure.

-MarkM-

Ideally we would live in a world where everyone does not have to work for money. Unfortunately if people don't write then they cannot pay their bills, so people must write. This is why there has to be enough pay to go around so that there is at least a minimum expected amount of money people can get. If you basically leave it up to the market and tell people their words can be worth $50 a share this month, $20 a share the next month, $500 a share the next month, this is not stable enough for people to know how much they'll get paid. Basically it will amount to a form of gambling where people gamble with their words in hopes of writing at the right time. That is about the worst way to set up a market.

Some articles will be higher quality than others, why shouldn't those articles get bonus shares? Some articles will just be crap to get a lot of words written, why not reduce shares for those articles? And why restrict share distribution to per round? If people don't get paid enough in one round why not allow them to roll over into the next around until they get some bare minimum amount?

There are a lot of areas to be improved upon but basically Devcoin got the math all wrong. The math just does not work and will not work and as soon as third world writers and spammers discover Devtome then Devtome is dead.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 04:49:03 AM

I don't think the long term prospects of Devcoin are very bright. The more people who write, the less pie there is for writers? That means it's a zero sum game. Why are people actually trying to attract more writers if the case is that quality will go down and so will the pay? It doesn't seem to be good for Devcoin either.

Long term the quality of articles of Devcoin will begin to reflect what writers are paid to write them.
Quote/
----------------------------------------

You may end up being correct.  This is truly a unique experiment for a business plan.  On the surface it's almost ideal but the big question is:  can it be sustained and will quality improve or worsen as time goes on and shares shrink.  

MarkM, made a good point that people won't rush out to just write anything cause the shares are large.  At the same time you're correct too, one would expect quality to worsen as talented or educated people rather spend their time where they can maximize their earnings potential.  

It remains to be seen.  I'm excited to see what happens.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:49:30 AM

-MarkM-

The way to keep quality from dropping is to actually pay people enough money to care about quality. $50 an article is almost in that range, anything less and people will stop caring and of course more than $50 and people will care much more. It's a matter of the pay structure.

They need to adjust the pay structure.

I agree that things seem off. As we get more writers, pay goes down. This attracts more writers that are willing to work for almost nothing, which means quality writers will avoid the system. This will keep deteriorating until the only people benefiting anymore are those who are posting their spam or other worthless stuff.

acs26

June 08, 2013, 04:53:04 AM

Guys, what do I do?

My DevCoin wallet doesn't work, because I can't download the bundle correctly.

(Also, has this round ended already?)
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 04:55:03 AM

Guys, what do I do?

My DevCoin wallet doesn't work, because I can't download the bundle correctly.

(Also, has this round ended already?)

No, it ends at 93,300, maybe 2 more days.  What OS are you using?  Why isn't working, not downloading or you're not seeing any connections to the server?  You have to give it time to synch all 92,500 blocks, then it will work.  

The download is straight forward I even had an easy time downloading it especially the new client with the green D logo.

If the zip file isn't working use the .exe link.  That's the one I ended up having to use.  32 bit works just fine on Windows 64.  Good luck.

Luckybit

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:04:03 AM

Quote/
----------------------------------------

You may end up being correct.  This is truly a unique experiment for a business plan.  On the surface it's almost ideal but the big question is:  can it be sustained and will quality improve or worsen as time goes on and shares shrink.  

MarkM, made a good point that people won't rush out to just write anything cause the shares are large.  At the same time you're correct too, one would expect quality to worsen as talented or educated people rather spend their time where they can maximize their earnings potential.  

It remains to be seen.  I'm excited to see what happens.

My opinion is, if you reduce the pay so that it's no longer worth it to truly dig deep to write something great then less great works will be created. Rewarding writers only per word is too limited. Why not allow a rating system so that highly rated works get bonus shares? Also why are works essentially set per round? Over time when the shares shrink smaller and smaller they claim a lot of people just will stop writing as if everyone is of the same class as them or has the same amount of money? The people who need money the most will write whether the shares are $10 or $500 and I think globally those people vastly outnumber those of privilege who can write as they feel like it.

I do think quality will go down but it doesn't have to. The only change necessary to keep the quality writers is to change the system so that quality is rewarded. This can be accomplished by allowing readers to link a vote to an email address and then rate each article they read. The way to allow this is to link it either by verified email, or by Bitcointalk username and let people vote and maybe even pay them in Devcoins to review/vote.
Luckybit

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 06:50:49 AM

If devcoin only attracts people who are going to dump it, it's value will go. If there is an incentive to keep devcoin, or some thing that users can buy or invest in then it becomes more viable.

There are infinitely many Devcoins, finite places to spend it, and no logical reason to save it according to basic math of unlimited supply and limited demand.

Everyone who is writing for Devcoins should expect to see their shares dwindle to nothing in the coming round. You'll be lucky if you get a few hundred bucks from 20,000+ words.
metazilla

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:07:26 AM

I think a bigger problem is now that DVC is becoming more popular, people are earning DVC and than cashing them out, instead of holding on to them. Over time this will cause their value to keep getting lower and lower. While there may be way more articles written in round 24 than round 23, the DVC/BTC value has HALVED. The constant selling of DVC is unsustainable. Embarrassed

Also sadly, it seems that the original goal of paying for open source development is falling to the wayside as well, as the value of shares plummets. I was thinking about trying for the forum bounty (still might when I'm done with finals), but at this point, 12 shares for all that work seems like nothing compared to the hundreds of shares people are getting for writing.

I still have faith in the vision of DVC though, and I hope we can come up with some solutions to these problems as a community. Smiley

Dexter44

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:40:59 AM

A vision is something considered unrealistic at the moment. DVC needs visionaries, we can say, able to bring this coin a spotlight. Unless it is carried to the light by something or someone within 6 months, I cannot see a bright future for DVC. DVC will remain a "bonsai" among the growing numbers of altcoins.

The Puppet
Pages: « 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: