Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:07:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 08:02:58 AM
Last edit: May 01, 2015, 08:28:12 AM by Johnny Mnemonic

I thought demand for sound money such as bitcoin would be huge given how pervasive and insidious the counterfeiting of fiat currencies is. It turns out that people don't really care that much.

that's how common knowledge works...until it doesn't.

Inside our tiny bubble it's easy to forget just how little the average person gives a shit about the evils of our current monetary system.

Not that anyone would want to fuss with crypto even if they did care. It's inconvenient to get, inconvenient to use, and offers little incentive to the regular old dude who just wants to swipe his credit card and get on with life.

The idea that incentivizing people to hold somehow improves the success of crypto is absurd and a rather narrow perspective in my opinion. A successful currency is one that people use (read: spend), not one that everybody collectively sits on and waits for the value to increase. That's not a currency at all.

Many of us refer to Bitcoin and Monero as cryptocurrencies but we don't actually want them to be currencies. We just want the market cap to go up to infinity so we can get richer and buy more stupid shit we don't need.

The sad irony is that the prices will never reach "the moon" until we stop serving ourselves and start focusing on improving the lives of everyone else.

TL;DR: Currencies are about commerce. Let's focus on improving that. Approaching crypto from an investor perspective and focusing on ROI will never get the rest of the world to start using it. An increasing market cap is a symptom of success, but if that's our goal then we're doing it wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 08:07:38 AM

I thought demand for sound money such as bitcoin would be huge given how pervasive and insidious the counterfeiting of fiat currencies is. It turns out that people don't really care that much.

Inside our tiny bubble it's easy to forget just how little the average person gives a shit about the evils of our current monetary system.

Not that anyone would want to fuss with crypto even if they did care. It's is inconvenient to get, inconvenient to use, and offers little incentive to the regular old dude who just wants to swipe his credit card and get on with life.

The idea that incentivizing people to hold somehow improves the success of crypto is absurd and a rather narrow perspective in my opinion. A successful currency is one that people use (read: spend), not one that everybody collectively sits on and waits for the value to increase. That's not a currency at all.

Many of us refer to Bitcoin and Monero as cryptocurrencies but we don't actually want them to be currencies. We just want the market cap to go up to infinity so we can get richer and buy more stupid shit we don't need.

The sad irony is that the prices will never reach "the moon" until we stop serving ourselves and start focusing on improving the lives of everyone else.

So true. Haha

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 08:11:09 AM

Magic Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of them all?
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 10:39:13 AM

Not that anyone would want to fuss with crypto even if they did care. It's inconvenient to get, inconvenient to use, and offers little incentive to the regular old dude who just wants to swipe his credit card and get on with life.

TL;DR: Currencies are about commerce. Let's focus on improving that. Approaching crypto from an investor perspective and focusing on ROI will never get the rest of the world to start using it. An increasing market cap is a symptom of success, but if that's our goal then we're doing it wrong.

Exactly. And its been pointed out before that one of the theoretical reasons for the shape of the emission curve was to encourage distribution, and all this talk of pushing the price up is fighting that. I'll be honest - if I had come into monero and it was 5$ a coin, I wouldn't have bought in. Thats because I'm relatively broke and shouldn't be throwing money at cryptocurrencies. But at $0.20 a coin, it was in this "eh, sure, why not?" space. Logical? I dunno - but thats what I did.

So, theoretically, the value of Monero is exactly where it should be - based on current usage and demand and emission. Its not artificially inflated by some staking system. Should efforts to be made to keep hodlers happy? perhaps. Is one of these efforts some type of investment vehicle that provides returns? Perhaps.

I mean, the emissions!! - I remember looking at coinmarketcap the other day and going "7 million? " I coulda sworn it was just 6 million. So, in a blink of an eye, 1 million more monero have popped into existence. 1,000,000.

Like I've mentioned before, if the key to this is hodling, the key to hodling is getting the coins out of those that don't hodl. One route to this is creating a massive mining farm. A 1 megahash farm would cost 357k USD and use approx 107 kw. These numbers just based on 750 ti cards at 100$ / pop. This would cost 93k / year in electricity at 10 cents per kwh. Maybe score an industry site get better rate. Sure, this is centralization.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 11:06:32 AM

Monero price is what it should be, we need cheap coins to get new people in. The focus should be on getting in new people, not the price at this time.

How many of you have introduced Monero to someone known?
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 11:25:39 AM

Monero price is what it should be, we need cheap coins to get new people in. The focus should be on getting in new people, not the price at this time.

Most of my friends / family think cryptocurrencies aren't real, so.... i need to go to a bitcoin meetup.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 12:21:47 PM

Most of my friends / family think cryptocurrencies aren't real, so.... i need to go to a bitcoin meetup.

Same here, either they think it is not real.... or they don´t care for altcoins just BTC
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 12:28:54 PM

i do try to get friends involved, family not so much, but i invest for them too with my own money, try to take care for the family of course Cool
also i talk at work about cryptos, since many people are interested there.

I would like to announce that today i payed my lunch with monero:)

yeah i also spent monero allready. mostly to friends i owe money to, so i pay my debt with monero if they like Grin one of them has over 1k allready Cheesy
good job, thats how we create them bagholders

XMR Monero
MataKhobRazi

Activity: 876
Merit: 568

( ͡⊙ ͜ʖ ͡⊙)

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 01:07:58 PM

When I talk about cryptocurrencies to my friend or family, they think I am stupid and laugh at me. There is only my brother who seems to be convinced but he is a student in computer science (and a fan of technology) so I don't know if this plays a role !

Bitcoin : The Only One
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512

@theshmadz

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 01:33:42 PM

When I talk about cryptocurrencies to my friend or family, they think I am stupid and laugh at me. There is only my brother who seems to be convinced but he is a student in computer science (and a fan of technology) so I don't know if this plays a role !

Lol, when I started talking to my family and friends about bitcoin was just before that first run up to $32 - unfortunate timing as the crash confirmed for them that crypto was a scam. I try not to talk about it much anymore, I think people need to figure it out for themselves mostly.. maybe I'm just a poor salesman  Cheesy

Anyway, back on topic, very happy to see price retrace to 0.002 - I think it would be difficult to go lower. (No technical reason, just personal experience and when I think "I can get 500 Monero for just one bitcoin?" It makes me send funds to polo  Grin)

Cheers!

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
MalMen

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 01:58:26 PM

I already commented this... This week I forgot my wallet home, one of my coworkers brought me the lunch and I payed him back in monero Smiley
18 monero total
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 02:01:08 PM

Are Monero denominated prediction markets, stocks, and games not commerce? Some kinds of commerce are better are increasing demand for a currency than other forms of commerce. Demand for a currency determines its exchange rate against other currencies.
If we do not agree on that, then there is no possibility of conversation.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
komputadora

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 03:05:10 PM

haha... well said!
Johnny Mnemonic

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 06:56:14 PM

Are Monero denominated prediction markets, stocks, and games not commerce? Some kinds of commerce are better are increasing demand for a currency than other forms of commerce. Demand for a currency determines its exchange rate against other currencies.

Of course those things are commerce. But they serve a very narrow group of people (rich white males) who don't really need any more convincing. They don't exactly fall into the "everyone else" category.

My brother is a perfect example of "everyone else." He's not a technical person. He's not an investor beyond contributing to his 401k or his kid's college fund. For him, money is a tool not a toy, and the fiat stuff works just fine. It buys his groceries and pays his mortgage. It pays for the gas in his car once a week when he visits the pump. These are all things that most people use money for, and for most people, crypto is completely useless.
Johnny Mnemonic

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 07:01:06 PM

I'm hoping that's a joke... text makes it hard to tell sometimes  Cheesy

Preaching the merits of cryptocurrency at a bitcoin meetup doesn't exactly spread the word.
dreamspark

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 07:12:38 PM

Serious lack of volume today.

Normally happens before a big move.

The question as always.... which way ? Wink
jehst

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 07:19:46 PM

Of course those things are commerce. But they serve a very narrow group of people (rich white males) who don't really need any more convincing. They don't exactly fall into the "everyone else" category.

My brother is a perfect example of "everyone else." He's not a technical person. He's not an investor beyond contributing to his 401k or his kid's college fund. For him, money is a tool not a toy, and the fiat stuff works just fine. It buys his groceries and pays his mortgage. It pays for the gas in his car once a week when he visits the pump. These are all things that most people use money for, and for most people, crypto is completely useless.

Oh, I see. So your vision is to see widespread crypto used by average people to buy groceries, gas, and pay the mortgage. That's possible, but I don't see it happening within 10 years.
Remittances are a more realistic use for regular folks within the next few years.

I'm not going to attempt the math here, but something like Crypto-Kingdom (which soaks up a few percent of XMR for a long period of time) would actually require as much XMR as millions of dollars worth of remittances sent back and forth by hundreds or thousands of people people who want to hold XMR for the shortest amount of time possible. This is due to the velocity of money.

Even if all forms of commerce are generally good for a currency, you get more "bang for your buck" by creating services that soak up XMR for longer periods of time.

IMO, speculation and niche use cases (both involving mostly males  (many of them Asian, by the way)) will dominate cryptocurrency for the next 10 years. That's what we have to work with. I'm not saying it's a good thing. When I"m brainstorming, I have this demographic in mind.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 07:34:07 PM

Complacent lumpenbourgeoisie like our brothers ("Durr...I like to consume, reproduce, and trade freedom for security") won't GAS until the Great Reset begins in their Homeland. 

They, not crypto, are the "completely useless" entities.  Crypto is a tool.  Our brothers, the playthings of Babylon, are the toys.

But not everyone lives in America or another stable country.

Billions of other people live in places like Yemen, Libya, Ukraine, Cyprus, Argentina, and Venezuela, where their money loses looses purchasing power by the day, and sometimes the hour.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Johnny Mnemonic

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 07:39:10 PM

Oh, I see. So your vision is to see widespread crypto used by average people to buy groceries, gas, and pay the mortgage. That's possible, but I don't see it happening within 10 years.
Remittances are a more realistic use for regular folks within the next few years.

I'm not going to attempt the math here, but something like Crypto-Kingdom (which soaks up a few percent of XMR for a long period of time) would actually require as much XMR as millions of dollars worth of remittances sent back and forth by hundreds or thousands of people people who want to hold XMR for the shortest amount of time possible. This is due to the velocity of money.

Even if all forms of commerce are generally good for a currency, you get more "bang for your buck" by creating services that soak up XMR for longer periods of time.

IMO, speculation and niche use cases (both involving mostly males  (many of them Asian, by the way)) will dominate cryptocurrency for the next 10 years. That's what we have to work with. I'm not saying it's a good thing. When I"m brainstorming, I have this demographic in mind.

Correct. I'd like to move toward building a currency that can eventually compete with fiat.

When we speculate on the possibility of seeing 6 or 7 figure prices per unit, we're really commenting on a massive adoption scenario. Whether it happens in 10 years or 2 years (or never) depends on how we approach the currency's utility to the widest demographic.
Johnny Mnemonic

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 07:47:14 PM

Complacent lumpenbourgeoisie like our brothers ("Durr...I like to consume, reproduce, and trade freedom for security") won't GAS until the Great Reset begins in their Homeland. 

They, not crypto, are the "completely useless" entities.  Crypto is a tool.  Our brothers, the playthings of Babylon, are the toys.

But not everyone lives in America or another stable country.

Billions of other people live in places like Yemen, Libya, Ukraine, Cyprus, Argentina, and Venezuela, where their money loses looses purchasing power by the day, and sometimes the hour.

I wasn't suggesting the concept of crypto is useless (I wouldn't be here if that were the case), only that current implementations cannot be easily used by even the most desperate of oppressed peoples.
Pages: « 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: