Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:46:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 [275] 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 08:09:20 PM

I wasn't suggesting the concept of crypto is useless (I wouldn't be here if that were the case), only that current implementations cannot be easily used by even the most desperate of oppressed peoples.

Sure, people in refugee camps don't have smart phones or data plans.  But there is a large middle ground between the utterly complacent and the most desperate.

The NYT article on Argentina illustrates how BTC is making inroads by using in-person exchange to cover the proverbial last mile, thus providing a tool for the people there to use in their fight against financial oppression.

The trend hasn't reached its 100th monkey, but the Argentinian equivalents of our brothers are in the near future increasingly like to use BTC for all the mundane crap fiat used to buy.

When Kirchner's tax thugs begin to catch up and subscribe to Chainalysis, the people will move to Monero and stay one step ahead.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 08:30:45 PM

Monero price is what it should be, we need cheap coins to get new people in. The focus should be on getting in new people, not the price at this time.

How many of you have introduced Monero to someone known?

Most of my friends / family think cryptocurrencies aren't real, so.... i need to go to a bitcoin meetup.

I'm hoping that's a joke... text makes it hard to tell sometimes  Cheesy

Preaching the merits of cryptocurrency at a bitcoin meetup doesn't exactly spread the word.

The merits of Monero at a bitcoin meetup. Someone mentioned trying this out, but in a benign way - just bring up Monero if fungibility / traceability / linkability ever comes up.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
mrkavasaki

Activity: 888
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 08:46:05 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2015, 09:32:31 PM by mrkavasaki

Get ready for the final upcoming monsta dump  Cool
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 08:52:23 PM

Geht ready for the final upcoming monsta dump  Cool

The only monsta is the 400+ BTC bid wall.

Otoh can dump another 100BTC of XMR into it, and it might set us back a few more days.

I thank our monsta dumping overlords in advance for the Cheap CoinsTM.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 11:11:09 PM

x, sorry I had to nuke your post going after mrkavasaki. His post didn't add a lot but at least it was an opinion about the market
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 03:46:02 AM

I wasn't suggesting the concept of crypto is useless (I wouldn't be here if that were the case), only that current implementations cannot be easily used by even the most desperate of oppressed peoples.

Sure, people in refugee camps don't have smart phones or data plans.  But there is a large middle ground between the utterly complacent and the most desperate.

The NYT article on Argentina illustrates how BTC is making inroads by using in-person exchange to cover the proverbial last mile, thus providing a tool for the people there to use in their fight against financial oppression.

The trend hasn't reached its 100th monkey, but the Argentinian equivalents of our brothers are in the near future increasingly like to use BTC for all the mundane crap fiat used to buy.

When Kirchner's tax thugs begin to catch up and subscribe to Chainalysis, the people will move to Monero and stay one step ahead.   Cool

One can easily defeat Chainalysis by selling XBT for XMR, even using a regulated exchange, sit on the XMR for a few days then trade a portion of the XMR for XBT using a service such as XMR.TO. In effect one can use XMR to "mix" XBT. The key is to use different XBT wallets for the original and "mixed" XBT.

Edit: I see a very significant chance that XMR will end up complementing rather than replacing XBT, especially since it is way simpler to set up a crypto-currency to crypto-currency exchange than a crypto-currency to fiat exchange.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:06:22 AM

I see a very significant chance that XMR will end up complementing rather than replacing XBT, especially since it is way simpler to set up a crypto-currency to crypto-currency exchange than a crypto-currency to fiat exchange.

The only problem here is that if there is that you are looking at it only from the perspective of the spender. To him yes this is a perfect solution. But to the retailer who is being paid in bitcoin, he will be terrified of the prospect of being unwittingly paid in "illegal" bitcoin. As such it makes a great deal of sense for him to want to cut out the middleman of bitcoin and be paid in xmr, which he can then convert to btc himself through shapeshift.io or similar service he trusts more than random customers. But if you think through the logic of that, if other retailers are thinking the same thing he is, than why even convert it into bitcoin? Anywhere he wants to spend it would rather just be paid in xmr.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 06:05:05 AM

I see a very significant chance that XMR will end up complementing rather than replacing XBT, especially since it is way simpler to set up a crypto-currency to crypto-currency exchange than a crypto-currency to fiat exchange.

The only problem here is that if there is that you are looking at it only from the perspective of the spender. To him yes this is a perfect solution. But to the retailer who is being paid in bitcoin, he will be terrified of the prospect of being unwittingly paid in "illegal" bitcoin. As such it makes a great deal of sense for him to want to cut out the middleman of bitcoin and be paid in xmr, which he can then convert to btc himself through shapeshift.io or similar service he trusts more than random customers. But if you think through the logic of that, if other retailers are thinking the same thing he is, than why even convert it into bitcoin? Anywhere he wants to spend it would rather just be paid in xmr.

Why would the XBT or XMR be "illegal"? Furthermore there are many situations where 1) The transaction is perfectly legal, 2) Privacy is important and 3) the amount is well below any AML / KNC threshold. Here is a good example. http://www.salon.com/2014/04/28/one_womans_attempt_to_hide_her_pregnancy_from_big_data/.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 09:11:41 AM

Why would the XBT or XMR be "illegal"?

I think he just meant paid with a blacklisted/tainted bitcoin output.
Anon136
Legendary

Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 01:08:05 PM

Why would the XBT or XMR be "illegal"? Furthermore there are many situations where 1) The transaction is perfectly legal, 2) Privacy is important and 3) the amount is well below any AML / KNC threshold. Here is a good example. http://www.salon.com/2014/04/28/one_womans_attempt_to_hide_her_pregnancy_from_big_data/.

Ok yea that's possible. But I don't know that people will really care enough to seek out anonymity in situations where it is not deemed "necessary". I thought you were speaking in reference to things like blacklists. That's what i meant by illegal bitcoin (lower case b).

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 03:03:25 PM

One can easily defeat Chainalysis by selling XBT for XMR, even using a regulated exchange, sit on the XMR for a few days then trade a portion of the XMR for XBT using a service such as XMR.TO. In effect one can use XMR to "mix" XBT. The key is to use different XBT wallets for the original and "mixed" XBT.

Edit: I see a very significant chance that XMR will end up complementing rather than replacing XBT, especially since it is way simpler to set up a crypto-currency to crypto-currency exchange than a crypto-currency to fiat exchange.

Cross-chain mixing works for some purposes, but Putin/Kirchner/Obama's tax thugs and lickspittle corporatists will demand to know the origin of your coins.  Which is effectively a whitelisting approach putting the burden of proof on the user to prove their innocence against the presumption of guilt.

We've already seen this happening with CoinBase's intensively invasive 'know your miners' colonoscopy procedures.

Still, I too anticipate XMR enjoying widespread use as a private on- and off-ramp for dark markets, etc. that will keep funds in multi-sig'd BTC internally.

This leads to a bifurcation of BTC into independent pools of white and black coins, with unknown consequences.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 03:42:51 PM

In my experience, the cryptos have very large price swings. 100x up and 10x down is normal.

When faced with these swings, you should consider the following question:

Does the increase/decrease in price cause the Expected Value of the investment to go up/down proportionately more than the extent of the move?

If it does, it makes sense to buy after a move up, and sell after a move down.

If it does not, it makes sense to buy after a move down and sell after a move up.

I believe cryptos are like most other investments, so that the change in price does not cause a larger change in fundamentals.

Therefore, if the only thing that changes is the price, the lower price is a better buying opportunity than the higher price.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
mrkavasaki

Activity: 888
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:23:34 PM

volume seems pretty dead to me. get ready for sub 0.001 coins  Cry
scryptasicminer

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:41:46 PM

Don't see any major exchange supporting the coin.
kenji

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 04:59:10 PM

also seems like bytecoin has overtaken monero.
dosen't  look very good guys Embarrassed
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 05:14:28 PM

Very low volume after a very significant drop is actually bullish not bearish.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 07:45:15 PM

In my experience, the cryptos have very large price swings. 100x up and 10x down is normal.

When faced with these swings, you should consider the following question:

Does the increase/decrease in price cause the Expected Value of the investment to go up/down proportionately more than the extent of the move?

If it does, it makes sense to buy after a move up, and sell after a move down.

If it does not, it makes sense to buy after a move down and sell after a move up.

I believe cryptos are like most other investments, so that the change in price does not cause a larger change in fundamentals.

Therefore, if the only thing that changes is the price, the lower price is a better buying opportunity than the higher price.

Yes.  I always tell myself the swings and the risk are part of the admission price.  There are some small ways to exploit them too though my strategy is fairly conservative.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 07:51:29 PM

Get ready for the final upcoming monsta dump  Cool
Monero seems more and more like a failed project to me. I am not so sure if i ever will rebuy this coin
see you at sub 0.001 Grin Cheesy

sub .0010 here we come Cheesy Cool
oh oh dosen't look good Tongue
i guess we will see at least sub 0.0010 prices soon
I doubt it will go down to 0.0005 but we could test 0.0009 very very likely

(No Fud)
seems like we are still in a downtrend
how low do you guys think we will go?
The charts are looking indeed really bad. Now i think even numbers at sub 0.0010 are very possible imho
See you guys at 0.002 Wink Kiss
Sold all my XMR. i will buy back at 0.0020-0.0015 Cool
do you guys believe we will drop below 0,002 ?

Seriously.  I know "don't quote the trolls", but what about when it is funny?

You really need to try a different game.  You are very bad at this one.

HA.

Oh and to keep this on topic...  I persoanlly am betting XMR price is building a little base here.  I would be happy to see it consolodate for a while.  I am cautiously buying small amounts.  I do think there is a chance we see more lows as it doesn't take very big dumps at market to move the price.  However that works both ways.

Monero's fundamentals are still strong.
aerbax

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 08:09:51 PM

At any rate, if Monero eventually takes off, no one will be able to say that the coin was too expensive.  IMO, we've had a fair distribution and fair cost for such a long time now.

If you believe in privacy and real cryptography, it would be foolish to not hold at least a little bit of Monero at this point.

Monero is the future of cryptocurrency - available today.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 09:24:30 PM

Don't see any major exchange supporting the coin.

Monero is on poloniex, bittrex, bter, and others. Those are all major exchanges.

Pages: « 1 ... 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 [275] 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: