Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:35:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 [278] 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:05:23 AM

community activity low, volume very low, price not so low but also not so high. reversal is not far away, all it needs is a potent buyer to step in.
is everybody busy watching btc? are the big fish all doing holidays?

They will come when its too late: http://www.coindesk.com/be-vigilant-on-compliance-coinbase-warns-bitcoin-startups/

Bitcoin in the US is gone! Why? Push for regulation and taxation is at ATH and Bitcoin blockchain is open to everybody and your doge do tracking and surveillance, do the math, Coinbase already track your transactions and if you do something weird they ban you, you can't buy from them without KYC, it won't end nice. Thanks for all the fish Satoshi but the future of cryptocurrency requires something better, it requires Monero Cool

The future of crypto-currency requires Monero on GNU/Linux not just Monero. If one is using Windows 8.1 RT the only choice will be to use a service such as Coinbase regardless of whether one is using Bitcoin, Monero or some other crypto-currency. The reality is that Microsoft has been gradually moving Windows towards the fully locked down Orwellian Telescreen Windows RT model for at least the last 15 years, much like slowly rising a temperature on a pot of cold water with a frog in it. My expectation is that the frog will be dead certainly within the next decade and very likely within the next 5 years.

Edit: Those that are still in the Microsoft pot would be wise to jump out while they are still able.

I would be all over linux if it was supported by video games. I know that sounds silly but it would be hard for me to give up one of my favorite pass times. I suppose that's why having 2 PC's is useful, one with windows and one with linux for cryptos Tongue

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:35:42 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2015, 01:57:15 AM by ArticMine

I would be all over linux if it was supported by video games. I know that sounds silly but it would be hard for me to give up one of my favorite pass times. I suppose that's why having 2 PC's is useful, one with windows and one with linux for cryptos Tongue

Having more than one PC is definitely an option. The thing to keep in mind here is that a computer or device cannot serve two masters. If it supports DRM at the operating system level then one should assume that any information that is entered into that device or computer will be shared with every government spy agency on the planet, any criminal that seeks this information, any corporation wishing to profile etc. It should not be used for anything even remotely sensitive from a privacy perspective such as browsing the web or sending an innocuous email, let alone Monero.

On the other hand a computer or device that makes its owner the master will not be trusted by any licensor of DRM infected content be it the MPAA, a game vendor, streaming service etc. It will protect the privacy and security of its owner very well. The only way to ensure that the owner is the master is to use a FLOSS operating system which for most people means GNU/Linux.

Edit1: When it comes to virtualization it is the host and not the guest that is in control so running a GNU/Linux guest on a Windows host is not a solution, since the DRM supporting host namely Windows is in control. One the other hand running a Windows guest on a GNU/Linux host can be an option in certain situations since the GNU/Linux host is in control.

Edit2: When it comes to Monero one must realize that security is only as strong as the weakest link. Ring signatures, I2P, Stealth Addresses, etc are not going to be of much help if the adversary knows one's private key and can track every transaction one makes via the DRM in the operating system.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 03:15:24 PM

Having more than one PC is definitely an option. The thing to keep in mind here is that a computer or device cannot serve two masters. If it supports DRM at the operating system level then one should assume that any information that is entered into that device or computer will be shared with every government spy agency on the planet, any criminal that seeks this information, any corporation wishing to profile etc. It should not be used for anything even remotely sensitive from a privacy perspective such as browsing the web or sending an innocuous email, let alone Monero.

On the other hand a computer or device that makes its owner the master will not be trusted by any licensor of DRM infected content be it the MPAA, a game vendor, streaming service etc. It will protect the privacy and security of its owner very well. The only way to ensure that the owner is the master is to use a FLOSS operating system which for most people means GNU/Linux.

Edit1: When it comes to virtualization it is the host and not the guest that is in control so running a GNU/Linux guest on a Windows host is not a solution, since the DRM supporting host namely Windows is in control. One the other hand running a Windows guest on a GNU/Linux host can be an option in certain situations since the GNU/Linux host is in control.

Edit2: When it comes to Monero one must realize that security is only as strong as the weakest link. Ring signatures, I2P, Stealth Addresses, etc are not going to be of much help if the adversary knows one's private key and can track every transaction one makes via the DRM in the operating system.

Doesn't matter what OS you use when your hard drive firmware is compromised.

http://www.techpowerup.com/209925/nsa-hides-spying-backdoors-into-hard-drive-firmware.html

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 05:51:16 PM

http://www.techpowerup.com/209925/nsa-hides-spying-backdoors-into-hard-drive-firmware.html

Actually it matters a lot. If one reads the actual report https://securelist.com/files/2015/02/Equation_group_questions_and_answers.pdf one finds that this is a suite of Microsoft Windows malware that hides in the firmware of the hard drive. It was likely written by western intelligence agencies who were given access to the Windows source code including all the DRM secrets by, PRISM participant, Microsoft. There is some evidence that there are some components of malware for IOS and OSX. We must keep in mind that Apple is also a PRISM participant and would very likely also share its DRM secrets with these same agencies. There is zero evidence of infections targeting GNU/Linux.

If one builds a beautiful house, Monero, on top of a shaky propriety foundation provided by Microsoft or Apple, one should not be surprised if the house comes tumbling down with the slightest breeze on the part of some government agency. Build the same house on top of a solid FLOSS foundation and it will likely survive a few hurricanes.

Monero is a fabulous project for privacy and freedom; however in order for it to work it also needs a solid foundation.  

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:26:57 PM

thelibertycap, I nuked the meme pic as it was off topic and also its a bit unfair to create a Monero endorsement with a real person's picture when he hasn't actually endorsed it.

Speaking of which let's pivot away from this free and open source software discussion unless it is tied in directly to Monero's future prospects.
sphericon

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:28:26 PM

I'm hoping there will be a state or jurisdiction that will embrace crypto, somewhere in the world, sometime within the next few years.

It's possible that The Isle of Man could be that jurisdiction...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/11109256/Creating-a-Bitcoin-Island-just-off-the-English-coast.html

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:59:22 PM

Up until Saturday my dominant crypto strategy was accumulating cheapish btc for later conversion to xmr. 
Now, my dominant crypto strategy is to burn those btc on cheapish xmr.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:13:52 PM

Up until Saturday my dominant crypto strategy was accumulating cheapish btc for later conversion to xmr. 

Heads up for the new guys.

If I only knew 10 months ago what I know now, I would have paid close attention to these quasi one-liners.
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:20:21 PM

thelibertycap, I nuked the meme pic as it was off topic and also its a bit unfair to create a Monero endorsement with a real person's picture when he hasn't actually endorsed it.

Speaking of which let's pivot away from this free and open source software discussion unless it is tied in directly to Monero's future prospects.

You are right, Richard Stallman could never settle with anything less then free software.
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:40:05 PM

You are right, Richard Stallman could never settle with anything less then free software.

side note: I emailed him several months ago about cryptonote protocol (not monero specifically), because he is known to dislike Bitcoin for the same reason it is becoming apparent now (lack of privacy) his answer was so inane I almost forgot about it, something about taxes.
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:56:14 PM

Heads up for the new guys.

If I only knew 10 months ago what I know now, I would have paid close attention to these quasi one-liners.

Yet monkey has been on a losing streak with his bullish calls over the past month and half. As have I.

Bitcoin is a bit of a puzzle lately, and all crypto is hooked to bitcoin.  I don't feel confident making any trades. I think it's time to settle into long-term positions and just wait. We may have to wait a long time. Note the change in my signature.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:36:45 AM

Actually it matters a lot. .. 
Hah, yeah I was sensationalizing a bit but if it is confirmed on M$ and "may" work on OSX (linux kernal) then I wouldn't feel too secure. BEOS time maybe. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:51:01 AM

The future of crypto-currency requires Monero on GNU/Linux not just Monero. If one is using Windows 8.1 RT the only choice will be to use a service such as Coinbase regardless of whether one is using Bitcoin, Monero or some other crypto-currency. The reality is that Microsoft has been gradually moving Windows towards the fully locked down Orwellian Telescreen Windows RT model for at least the last 15 years, much like slowly rising a temperature on a pot of cold water with a frog in it. My expectation is that the frog will be dead certainly within the next decade and very likely within the next 5 years.

Edit: Those that are still in the Microsoft pot would be wise to jump out while they are still able.

You do know that Microsoft is not moving forward with RT, right?

And, ArticMine, just so that there is no confusion (based on our conversation in the MoneroX thread), I do happen to like what FOSS brings to the table, and I think it's important to have cryptocurrencies such as Monero implemented under such a philosophy, but you are also coming across as very ideological and hyperbolic rather than realistic and practical. It's important to have support on Windows. Have you even followed the change that Satya Nadella is directing at Microsoft? Windows 10 will do just fine over the next five years.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:58:45 AM

Bump (and Microsoft, and HD firmware unless you have ideas how this relates to Monero)

elrippo
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 05:03:35 AM

I think this is meant to be a security and privacy issue regarding MS and crypto currencies interacting together what arcticmine discribed.
It is not wise to use a privacy/anonymity tool on a MS machine.... Roll Eyes

For Advertisement. PM me to discuss.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 01:37:40 PM

And Monero falls even further, what is going on?
mrkavasaki

Activity: 888
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 01:50:00 PM

People losing faith in monero. There is already no official GUI since over a year now Undecided
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 02:01:21 PM

Some people simply feel the need to sell, and do so.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 02:15:56 PM

People losing faith in monero. There is already no official GUI since over a year now Undecided

Well, if we use my last digest #'s from 3/25, there were 6.8 million monero available.

Now, there are 7.4 million monero available. So thats about 600k new monero.
If you do a rough calculation based on the data of the last spike, its roughly 500k monero. So lets use 500k monero.

The price at the last spike was 0.0041 according to coinmarketcap.

So, if every coin emitted since that day were to be bought at that price, that would be 2050 BTC, and at $230 per BTC, thats $471,500

There just simply wasn't half a million dollars worth of demand out there. Why is there no demand? No idea. Probably because no one knows about Monero except those involved in these forums.

Is the lack of a GUI a real reason? Perhaps, perhaps not. I don't think so. Indeed, I was thinking about it this morning and realized - if you're a person who needs to protect their financial movements (some of the use cases we've been talking about, where you send money overseas and you don't want your relatives neighbors knowing about it because kidnapping or theft or something), you can probably hire someone to do this, and you probably already have. It's probably not a far fetch to think that you could hire someone with knowledge of cryptocurrencies to perform this function for you (and you probably will, because your rich, and aint nobody got time for that). And that person with knowledge of cryptocurrencies can probably navigate the CLI.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 02:34:51 PM

Real reason is that most people learn through crash and burn : demand will come once bitcoin fungibility is attacked or dashcoin fails. Right now, this is the time to accumulate. It's cheap. It could be cheaper as we are about twice the value of the latest bottom, but who knows? Its kinda of crazy we're already able to buy this low anway
Pages: « 1 ... 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 [278] 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: