Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:51:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 [284] 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 10:35:52 PM

I will.  Intermediate goal is to save up and reach the 10,000 Monero mark (almost there).  I'm pretty sure that should put me in/around the top 100 current holders.  

I mean, it's at 50 cents parity before we even have a solid graphical wallet (which sounds juicy from what the devs are saying), and we're only on one reputable exchange.  

I like these odds.  I'll poke around and learn more about it over the coming weeks.  I'm still in the first chapters of my "Mathematical Introduction to Cryptography" so I probably won't be able to contribute much technically.  I have other talents though.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 10:57:41 PM

I will.  Intermediate goal is to save up and reach the 10,000 Monero mark (almost there).  I'm pretty sure that should put me in/around the top 100 current holders.  

I mean, it's at 50 cents parity before we even have a solid graphical wallet (which sounds juicy from what the devs are saying), and we're only on one reputable exchange.  

I like these odds.  I'll poke around and learn more about it over the coming weeks.  I'm still in the first chapters of my "Mathematical Introduction to Cryptography" so I probably won't be able to contribute much technically.  I have other talents though.

Indeed. Naysayers constantly complain at the lack of things *they* consider as fundamental (which truly are not), like GUI. They don't realize that the fact it's not there yet is part of the "investment", if you come to Monero as an investment. A gigantic potential value lays completely unrealized yet.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
celestio

Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 11:04:16 PM

I've grown sentimentally attached to this currency even though all my $ is currently in fiat. Kind of ironic I know, but goes to show that you can have faith in things without any personal selfish financial goal in mind.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 12:13:44 AM

Americanpegasus, was it you that caused the big bitcoin dump today? Grin

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
americanpegasus

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 12:38:08 AM

Dude, I know I spit a tight game, but I'm small potatoes.  I don't own anywhere near the 3000 coins that were involved in today's dump.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 03:03:32 AM

Dude, I know I spit a tight game, but I'm small potatoes.  I don't own anywhere near the 3000 coins that were involved in today's dump.

well its bitcoin. We could trace the coins if we really cared. Or hire "XYZ blockchain analytics" to trace them for us.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 04:36:03 AM

Welcome. Your are not the only one because there was an over 20,000 XMR spike just over an hour ago.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Bassica

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 12:08:41 PM

Welcome. Your are not the only one because there was an over 20,000 XMR spike just over an hour ago.

Indeed, that was a solid marketbuy, and a smart one for that matter. Some of the bidwall action is moving forward already. It's looking good technically.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 12:18:29 PM

Indeed. Naysayers constantly complain at the lack of things *they* consider as fundamental (which truly are not), like GUI. They don't realize that the fact it's not there yet is part of the "investment", if you come to Monero as an investment. A gigantic potential value lays completely unrealized yet.

What I mentioned some time ago, but got sidetracked, The Monero Investment Group and its associated website, it is now coming to fruition. I found a new partner and the idea is to make an introduction/resource website for XMR investment, not at all focused on the technical side of things, such as the blockchain, wallets, security or anything that is important, but is already covered very much by the existing resources.

What we aim to present, is already existing in this thread and the Monero Economics thread, mainly in my own posts. The guiding idea is that a new asset class is being born, and may become as important as the existing ones: precious metals, land and its derivatives (agriculture, mining, industry, habitation), business and its derivatives (stocks), and obligations (cash, bonds, funds etc.). If the change indeed happens, , the ramifications for XMR valuation are nothing but astounding. A 1000-fold increase in price in the long run can be considered a failure.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 12:35:21 PM

What I mentioned some time ago, but got sidetracked, The Monero Investment Group and its associated website, it is now coming to fruition. I found a new partner and the idea is to make an introduction/resource website for XMR investment, not at all focused on the technical side of things, such as the blockchain, wallets, security or anything that is important, but is already covered very much by the existing resources.

What we aim to present, is already existing in this thread and the Monero Economics thread, mainly in my own posts. The guiding idea is that a new asset class is being born, and may become as important as the existing ones: precious metals, land and its derivatives (agriculture, mining, industry, habitation), business and its derivatives (stocks), and obligations (cash, bonds, funds etc.). If the change indeed happens, , the ramifications for XMR valuation are nothing but astounding. A 1000-fold increase in price in the long run can be considered a failure.

looking forward to that
Anon136
Legendary

Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:04:43 AM

woah. this thread just randomly died. never seen it quiet so long.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136
Legendary

Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:21:31 AM

shit's about to get real.

the quiet before the storm?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 05:04:23 AM

shit's about to get real.

the quiet before the storm?

Just look at that bid mountain  Shocked
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:46:44 AM

Crosspost for the paramount importance:

hard fork of Monero to incorporate the bitcoin ledger as well

And an impossible one without breaking trust in both currencies.  It is tremendously more likely to see the value of one of these coins shift into the other than for them to merge.  In the short term that value will want to go into bitcoin.  But in the long term, if XMR does not shift ALL its value in that direction the probability of the opposite shift rises continuously.

+1.

Bitcoin is the King of crypto, commanding 93% of the total marketcap. It's nice to be a king, but it has the downside that you can only be dethroned, never advance Smiley

Of course I believe that BTC has a great possibility to go up in purchasing power, even by a factor of 1,000 (after all it's my biggest holding, would not be if I did not think so Wink ) but in terms of relative market share, it can only go down (or 7% up if all the other current and future cryptos are abandoned, which is unlikely).

The sway that Bitcoin holds in cryptosphere is so great that it is very difficult for an altcoin to gain traction. But if any of them does to a sufficient degree, I take it as a strong indication that the market is making a shift.

If any one of the altcoins gains a 20% share of the total cryptocoin marketcap, the value in Bitcoin will likely move to that coin.

Caveats:
- No gimmicks. Short-term volatility is excluded. Sufficient trading volume.
- Marketcap must be calculated from the free-trading amount, leaving some room for total planned issuance (future mining) to be taken into account.

It does not take more than 10-25% of the value in Bitcoin to decide to migrate, to trash the Bitcoin remaining value, and make the value of the alt mushroom. For historical reference, Bitcoin marketcap went from about $1M to $200M in 2010-2011 in less than a year. During that period, only about $10M was invested into bitcoins. The rest was wealth effect. The same mechanism applied to the potential migration situation can make the contender quite valuable if only 2% of the wealth in Bitcoin decides to move (and inflict a proportional loss to the remaining bitcoin holdings).

I repeat in bold, because the issue is important: Not every Bitcoin holder needs to sell all their bitcoins for the value to plummet and the alt to take over. It is enough that 10-25% do it, then the ones who migrated will gain the value (as appreciation of the new coin) which was stored in the 75-90% of bitcoins (whose value has plummeted), while the coins still belong to the bagholders. If this were not true, there would be no change in the world, and Bitcoin itself would never have had any traction whatsoever.

I am not always correct, and even when I am, I tend to be ahead of the time. Don't sell your bitcoins, but make sure you have at least the same proportional amount of coins in every alt that has the slightest chance of making it. (It costs basically nothing but your bitcoin maximalism pride).

This is what I have done. And Monero is the only one I believe has the chance currently. I will tell when the situation changes. Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
nakaone

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 09:37:16 AM

I do not share ristos insight on the transfer of value. neither do I think that bitcoin will be dethroned, I'd rather assume that it will not only be king but also pope by the adoption of TPTB. It will lose its libertarian and unregulated status and lots of people here will get a proper compensation for that Wink the most proper argumentation regarding losing his first mover advantage was given  by peter r in the altcoin observer: he argues that you do not invest in technology (of bitcoin) but in the ledger - I think he is right.

Nevertheless I do not think that bitcoin can or will adopt moneros specifications and monero will probably be what many people think bitcoin ist - the libertarian wet dream
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 09:50:14 AM

I do not share ristos insight on the transfer of value. neither do I think that bitcoin will be dethroned, I'd rather assume that it will not only be king but also pope by the adoption of TPTB. It will lose its libertarian and unregulated status and lots of people here will get a proper compensation for that Wink the most proper argumentation regarding losing his first mover advantage was given  by peter r in the altcoin observer: he argues that you do not invest in technology (of bitcoin) but in the ledger - I think he is right.

Nevertheless I do not think that bitcoin can or will adopt moneros specifications and monero will probably be what many people think bitcoin ist - the libertarian wet dream

^ I fully agree that this is one, and very possible scenario.

(while asserting that it's good to watch the 20% line since it will trigger the scenario I outlined.. Wink )

macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 10:18:44 AM

I share the same rumination with Rpietila regarding the significance of the "rival" coin. I too believe that XMR will have its chance of becoming the "new kid in town" after a certain time period (BTW: I think we're nowhere near that point right now). We all intimately know what's at stake with XMR; and I tend to concur with nakaone's prediction for the future of BTC.

IMHO, TPTB are already on track of the accumulation phase and I think within the next couple of years only a fraction of coins will be held by the original believers. We witnessed many old timers here abandoning their positions when they were convinced that the consolidation period will last forever (with the price declining even further).

There's a saying for when you don't understand something in full. "When in doubt, follow the money". The evidence is out there; so are the options. I prefer being on board instead of leaving myself behind. My position on XMR is not significant (regarding my BTC holdings) but it's something that I'm willing to sacrifice if it goes to 0, or be very happy that I got in with those, if it goes 1:1 with BTC.

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:05:01 PM

Thanks Risto, naka, mac.  These are good thoughts.  They remind us why we are here.

At the very beginning of my interest in Monero one lightbulb went on which led me to take a stake.  It was the idea that Monero offered the cleanest version of a solution to bitcoins privacy problem.   Or put another way Monero offered a utility that bitcoin could never really offer and remain bitcoin.

My first impressions of Monero's utility were not as the currency of the black markets as some have seemed to think, but as a private store of value.  Monero offered the potential of a private store of value that bitcoin has difficulty doing, and arguably cannot do.  I thought of Monero in the anaolgy of being a "private offshore account".  A place people could find the freedom of privacy with finances in the realm of crypto currency.

If anyone can guess how many monero I hold at a specific address I will give them all of it.

Good luck.

I liked that the devs saw Monero addresses as "accounts" as opposed to wallets since I think it better implies this functionality.

The other key aspect for me has been the fact that Monero is not "feature rich".  It does not try to add a bunch of whiz-bang features to the bitcoin base.  It just implements simple, strong, peer reviewed cryptography.  A kind of cryptography which offers functionality that, like I said, bitcoin probably never will.
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 03:51:08 PM

If anyone can guess how many monero I hold at a specific address I will give them all of it.

camu6

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 05:43:17 PM

Looks like there were almost no <0.002 moneroj for sale. The bidside looks strong, up we go.
Pages: « 1 ... 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 [284] 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: